• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doki Doki Suikoden Announced For PSP [NO, not related to the Konami RPG:s]

duckroll

So, I'm pretty sure this is legit, because one of the regular Japanese blogs which post on Famitsu updates regularly is updating all the various FF interviews from this week's issue in detail now. But what's more interesting is that apparently there's a Suikoden game announced for the PSP due in April this year. The retail package will be 6090yen, while the PSN release will be 4800yen...

Update:

Details

AndriaSang said:
Irem Resurrects April Fool's Day Suikoden Game as Actual PSP Release
Love sim has destructible clothing and over 30 types of socks.

Something has finally become of one of those annoying (non-Hideo Kojima) April Fool's Day jokes game publishers like to pull even though everyone hates them. Famitsu reveals this week that Irem will be reviving Doki Doki Suikoden as an actual PSP title.

Doki Doki Suikoden originates as one of Irem's more legendary April Fool's Day joke announcements. Revealed on April 1, 2001, the fake game was meant to be a parody on love simulations and Konami's Suikoden RPG series. The spec sheet promised the largest number of heroines in love simulation history -- 108, to be exact, just like in Suikoden.

As with all its April Fools jokes, Irem went all out, creating an official site and even crafting screenshots and artwork.

The PSP version doesn't seem to have too much to do with the April Fool's joke. You play as a transfer student at a school that's being troubled by "seven mysteries." Teaming up with the game's cast of heroines, you'll need to get to the bottom of the mysteries.

The PSP version's heroines have names that match some of the heroines Irem crafted for the April Fool's joke. They include:

* Yuko Haizeru: A second year student in the newspaper club who falls in love with you instantly.
* Kimika Yakumo: A third year high class girl who's skilled at martial arts
* Nana Hachiouji: A first year student who likes cosplay and always wears cat ears
* Rei Eguchi
* Yoko Hoshino: A junior high student who's speeding through to graduation. She calls you Big Brother.
* Satsuki Ogawa: Your childhood friend who's quite active in clubs

Irem actually made profiles and sprite art for all 108 characters for the April Fool's joke. You can see the list here. The profiles for the characters in the PSP version are totally different from the April Fool's versions. Haizeru, for example, was said to be an alien from the planet Haizeru.

You'll be able to develop love relationships with the heroines as you investigate the mysteries surrounding the school. This isn't just a love sim, though. During the game's simulation part, you'll guide a party of three heroines through the school as you conduct investigations. They'll get into battle, and their clothing will tear off as they incur damage.

You can give your girls extra power through cosplay. The game has lots of costumes and parts. You'll find over 200 costumes, including school outfits and swimwear. Joining accessories and exterior clothing, you'll also find such items as socks and underwear. The game has over 30 types of socks.

It doesn't look like Irem retained much of the gameplay and story elements it prepared for the 2001 April Fool's joke, but that's probably for the best.

Doki Doki Suikoden is due for UMD (¥6,090) and download (¥4,800) release this April. Let's hope the official site Irem eventually opens up matches the April Fool's site in complexity.
Source: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/01/26/irem_suikoden/

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This and the 1&2 psp collection localized, and we'll call it even.

Mandoric

Banned
Oh, wow, if this scan is real :eek:

* Fully voiced
* The Stars of Destiny react to your actions through something called the "wave system"
* They've apparently got a really impressive direct-sales-only LE lined up

Mandoric said:

* Fully voiced
* The Stars of Destiny react to your actions through something called the "wave system"
Don't do this to us.

duckroll

Mandoric said:

* Fully voiced

I think the "scan" is talking about the original design plan from 2001. Doesn't seem like there is an LE actually planned. Not really sure about this game... looks a bit.... I dunno. Anyway I like Irem so I'll keep an open mind. It's cool that the game finally got to be made after 10 years though.

LegatoB

Wow, I never thought we'd see this get off the ground! The original design plan sounded really interesting, and then nothing for years! I'm glad they finally found a suitable platform to launch it.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Mmmmmm lolikoden.

snrTF.gif

duckroll

Oh I just noticed I left out the actual title in the thread title. It's Doki Doki Suikoden. Developed by Irem. I'm just really excited, because I never thought it would ever be in actual development! Anyone else remember this game?

daoster

PSP, you are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy, when skies are gray!

Edit: Damn you for forgetting the full title!

I hope this will not turn out to be another JRPG for Japan only situation.

I had so much fun with Suikoden 1 & 2 and have recently started playing Suikoden Tierkreis, so I know Konami can still make an awesome Suikoden game. I just hope I get the chance to play it.

7Th

Is it Suikoden mixed-up with a dating sim or just a straight-foward dating sim? Because the former would be pretty awesome.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the real news here is that an icecream game based on an april fools joke about the growing propensity of japanese game developers to turn everything into an icecream game...is now more marketable than r type

Kuran

Banned
It took me a while to realize that this series was dead to me.

And now I'm remembered how great Konami once used to be.. Vandal Hearts 1 on PSX/Saturn was so perfect. I loved that game! But then they had to farm that shit out to western devs too! AAAAAAARGH

drohne said:
the real news here is that an icecream game based on an april fools joke about the growing propensity of japanese game developers to turn everything into an icecream game...is now more marketable than r type
Why you so surprised?
How you like your shmups, dead or bastardized?

at least Bumpy Trot 2 is still happening, right?

Top Bottom