• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hogwarts Legacy | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
rAk7JDw.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Hogwarts Legacy
Platforms:
  • PC (Feb 10, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (April 4, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 10, 2023)
  • Xbox One (April 4, 2023)
  • Nintendo Switch (July 25, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: Avalanche Software
Publisher: Warner Bros. Games
Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 85 average - 89% recommended - 29 reviews

bIBo1tP.jpg

MetaCritic (PS5) - 86 average - 42 reviews

bxZPvDL.jpg

MetaCritic (XSX) - 89 average - 13 reviews

5nlrBiG.jpg

MetaCritic (PC) - 83 average - 8 reviews

EiY1ral.jpg

Critic Reviews​

AltChar - Semir Omerovic - 78 / 100
I guess the level of enjoyment you get out of Hogwarts Legacy depends on your knowledge of the Harry Potter universe. The more you love this world the more you’ll enjoy Hogwarts Legacy. It’s as simple as that. This doesn’t mean that there’s nothing here for those who are just getting started with Harry Potter or just want a fantasy world to explore - there certainly is - but Hogwarts Legacy truly feels like a love letter to the fans of J.K Rowling’s work, above all.
Attack of the Fanboy - Noah Nelson - 4.5 / 5
Avalanche Software has done it — the comfort, the nostalgia, the freshness, the thrill — everything in Hogwarts Legacy emulsifies together to create a celebration of what the Wizarding World is and what the fans have always dreamed of. This is by far the best Wizarding World video game to ever come out and stands with a select few games that prove more is more.
Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - Recommended
Hogwarts Legacy arrives full of ambition to deliver an action RPG that's the ultimate wizarding experience in the world of Harry Potter, and it succeeds! Even if accompanied with an uninteresting and flat narrative.
FingerGuns - Kat Bullock - 9 / 10
The hugely anticipated Hogwarts Legacy does not disappoint. An early GOTY contender offers interesting storytelling parallels with the Harry Potter franchise, beautiful and glorious fan favourite locations, and an array of exciting combat and collectibles for hours of entertainment.
GGRecon - Ben Williams - 4 / 5
Whether you’re a diehard Potterhead or casual Wizarding World lover, you’ll have an epic time no matter what level of fan you are.
Even though there is optional padding, it’s optional nonetheless. The core experience of Hogwarts Legacy is still not only the best game in the entire franchise but a seriously fun RPG that will take your breath away in its pinnacle moments.
All in all, 80 points to Hufflepuff.
Game Rant - Dalton Cooper - 4.5 / 5
Hogwarts Legacy lives up to the hype, and we can confidently say it's the best thing to come out of the Harry Potter franchise since the original books and movies.
GamesRadar+ - Josh West - 3.5 / 5
Hogwarts Legacy is a solid first attempt. If Avalanche can be accused of anything, it's that the studio has tried to do too much all at once. Something was always going to give – between the massive open world, the messy RPG economy, exciting action combat, and adventure story that wants to cast you as a hero with homework due on Monday.
GamingTrend - Ron Burke - Unscored
Hogwarts Legacy is a contender for game of the year. If you are a Harry Potter fan, this is a must have, but better yet it’s actually a great game in its own right. It’s rare to see a licensed product this good – this one sets a brand new standard. Good luck to everyone coming after Hogwarts Legacy – you have a near impossible task. The game is just that good.
Geek Culture - Jake Su - 9 / 10
Even if you are a relative stranger to its source material, the way Hogwarts Legacy introduces magic and all of its astonishing quirks, helped by a cast whose performances are always worth a watch, and bookended by a satisfying combat and exploration loop, this is an unforgettable experience from start to finish. By melding the allure of the Harry Potter franchise with an interconnected gameplay system that is always pushing players forward to the next entertaining activity, the game is more than able to keep you under its spell for a long, long time.
IGN - Travis Northup - 9 / 10
In almost every way, Hogwarts Legacy is the Harry Potter RPG I’ve always wanted to play.
Impulsegamer - Andrew Paul - 4.5 / 5
Pushing the J.K. Rowling controversy to the side, Hogwarts Legacy is a true celebration of the magical universe that she created which perfectly transitioned to film. Her universe has equally been adapted well into this game courtesy of Avalanche Studios with its gameplay and story. Whether the story will become canon is yet to be seen but again this is as close as you can get to the core of what the extended universe of Harry Potter can be that not only plays well on the PS5 but looks fantastic.
Metro GameCentral - Nick Gillett - 8 / 10
A truly wizard RPG, whose historical setting frees it from the limitations of the books and films, with an open world experience that entertains no matter how much you care about the source material.
One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy
Whether or not you’re a fan of the Harry Potter books or the Wizarding World in general, Hogwarts Legacy is a fantastic open-world adventure that certainly delivers. While it retreads familiar open-world ground, it does so with a polish and impressive attention to detail that’s rare in this day and age of bug-filled releases.
Hogwarts Legacy delivers a masterful experience not just for fans but also for newcomers to the Wizarding World.
PCGamesN - Ford James - 7 / 10
Content-rich and competent, if a little uninspired, Potter fans will enjoy Hogwarts Legacy's faithful recreation of its universe, but it brings little of novelty to the open-world RPG genre.
PlayStation Universe - Michael Harradence - 9.5 / 10
Hogwarts Legacy is a compelling fantasy-RPG packed with stunning scenery, memorable characters and fantastic combat. Not only is it a brilliant love letter to fans of the Wizarding World, it excels as a game in its own right, so even non-Potter fans will find themselves immersed in its great story and characters.
PowerUp! - Adam Mathew - 9 / 10
Hogwarts Legacy is an ambitious triumph.
Press Start - James Mitchell - 9 / 10
Hogwarts Legacy is the Wizarding World game that fans have dreamt of for years. It offers a dense and rich open-world to explore complemented perfectly by a surprisingly robust and engaging combat system unlike anything else. While the story does live in the shadow of its predecessors, and managing gear can be repetitive, Hogwarts Legacy is a truly magical experience and utterly bewitching from beginning to end.
Screen Rant - William Cennamo - 4.5 / 5
Hogwarts Legacy is a wonderful game filled to the brim with adventures to be had, activities to engage in, and secrets to be found. The school and the surrounding areas have been recreated beautifully, and players will easily lose hours lost in the whimsical splendor of this wizarding world.
Stevivor - Ben Salter - 8 / 10
While combat may become repetitive, it’s more than serviceable, and fits in against the backdrop of an action-RPG that’s about so much more than killing goons — even if there is a lot of that. It’s a game that finally lets you live your dreams of 20 years ago, with a chance to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and have your own magical adventure.
Tom's Guide - Rory Mellon - 4 / 5
Despite its flaws, Hogwarts Legacy is clearly a game made by Potter fans, for Potter fans, and for that particular audience, it’s been more than worth the very long wait. Hogwarts Legacy is by no means a revolutionary gaming experience, but it’s still a pretty magical one.
Tom's Hardware Italia - Giulia Serena - Italian - 8 / 10
Is Hogwarts Legacy promoted? We say yes: If you are a Harry Potter fan, you will immerse yourself in the world you have always fantasized about, feeling like the heroes of the story and holding the fate of the Wizarding World in your hands.
TrueGaming - حسين الموسى - Arabic - 8.5 / 10
Hogwarts Legacy by far is the best adaptation of the Wizarding World in a videogame, it simulates the life of a student at Hogwarts along with a fun combat system and exploring an untold story of the Ancient Magic
We Got This Covered - Shaan Joshi - 4 / 5
The chips might have been stacked against them, but Warner Bros. and Avalanche Software have delivered on their promise. Hogwarts Legacy is the game that fans have been waiting for, laying down a solid foundation to build off of moving forward.
WellPlayed - Ash Wayling - 9 / 10
Hogwarts Legacy is the most definitively accurate and exciting wizarding world adventure people could hope to experience, short of getting a real-life invitation to Hogwarts. With hours of content and a wealth of wizarding wonderment, you'd be hard pressed not to enjoy yourself to an impressive capacity.
Xbox Achievements - Dan Webb - 88%
Hogwarts Legacy is an absolutely magical video game, one that is packed with awe-inspiring moments full of mystery and wonderment. Come for Hogwarts itself, a magic school oozing with secrets to behold, and stay for the combat, the engaging story and the frankly astonishing Room of Requirement.
XboxEra - Győző Baki - 9 / 10
Hogwarts Legacy borrows a lot of design choices and ideas from other open world titles, and yet, it creates a truly unique product unlike any title in the genre, with a true focus on world-building rather than non-stop combat encounters. It's a game that should be experienced, even by those who aren't Potter fans at all.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
This is like my wet dream come true.

No way have they actually delivered on this.

I remember seeing the leaked footage years ago and then thinking it must have been cancelled following years of silence.

Wow. Well done Portkey/Avalanche.

Last edited:

Gandih42

Honestly thought the game looked quite bland and dull from the trailers, though I suppose I didn't really watch much of it.

Really nice to see it turned out great! Awesome scores.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
So glad for the HP fans, enjoy it bros.

But let's be honest what really makes me happy is all the mentally ill schizos that must be seething right now at a videogame score out of all things.

evil laugh laughing GIF by HULU

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
That'll do, Jim.

Can't wait for Friday. February 6th and we've already had Dead Space, Hi-Fi Rush and this with SO much more to come. 2023 is gonna go down in the books.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Fuxking yesssssss!

Does the pc version run well. I pre ordered digital deluxe on xbox but I'm tempted to grab on steam to stream and play on steam deck if it works?

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

Osthyvel

I had very little interest in this game (i have seen 1 movie), it looked fun though, even without interest in the hpuniverse it felt like a game the everyone could enjoy. Then came the erachaos, and my interest skyrocked, i said to myself if there is good reviews i will be there day1. So, see you day1 :) Thanks mostly to ResetEra.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Seems pretty good. I'll be reading the OT to see how people feel about it in a few weeks. The art design and attention to detail seem to be the main highlights.

Reactions: Isa
Top Bottom