• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age 2 Gameplay Video, Anders Revealed, DX11 Features [Update2: Quick Look]

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Update 3:

Quick look: http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-road-show-dragon-age-ii/17-3772/

Update 2:

Another longer video: http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/02/07/dragon-age-2-video-preview?objectid=61075

More screens:

Thanks Speculator!

dragon-age-ii-20110207043701185.jpg

dragon-age-ii-20110207043635217.jpg

dragon-age-ii-20110207043651451.jpg

dragon-age-ii-20110207043645826.jpg

dragon-age-ii-20110207043640826.jpg

Update:

New Gameplay Video: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/07/dragon-age-ii-character-reveal-anders.aspx (At the bottom)

Anders:

Anders%204.jpg

Game Informer said:
One of the major character in Dragon Age II is a returning party member who fought alongside Origins' Grey Warden. Anders had his Dragon Age debut in Awakening, where he made his mark as a sarcastic rogue mage forced to become a Grey Warden. Just as Anders once ran from the Circle of Magi, players will discover him having abandoned the Grey Wardens as well in Dragon Age II.

New protagonist Hawke first encounters the mage in the slums of the city of Kirkwall, where Anders has taken up a life of healing refugees from the Blight. Hawke needs the former Grey Warden's help, and Anders is willing to oblige in return for a favor.

On this first quest with the new companion, Hawke uncovers some surprising twists about Anders and his new life. What secrets is the apostate hiding? Why are his eyes glowing eerily in the screenshot above? What other surprises await in Dragon Age II?

You can find out more about Anders and BioWare's latest epic RPG in the March issue of Game Informer, where we have a six-page feature going in-depth on the first five hours of this hotly anticipated game. In the meantime, check out the footage below to see a brief glimpse of Hawke and Anders in action.
Source: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/02/07/dragon-age-ii-character-reveal-anders.aspx

Original:

I'm weak, I'm buying the game.

a google translated page here, I'm not able to copypaste it - http://translate.google.de/translat...euchtung-und-mehr/Rollenspiel-Adventure/News/

-more lighting sources thanks to another render pass
-tesselated terrain and interiors
-soft shadows
-SSAO
-advanced DOF
-large cloud shadows on environment

Dennis

Banned
Tesselation is only possible with DX11 but the other stuff can be done with DX10.

But maybe DX11 allows those things with less perfomance impact?

Anyway, good that they are doing this for the PC gamers but what about releasing a PC screenshot with all the goodies instead of the dreadful screens we have seen so far.

subversus

DennisK4 said:
Tesselation is only possible with DX11 but the other stuff can be done with DX10.

Not DOF and soft shadows. Also more light sources.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
subversus said:
Not DOF and soft shadows. Also more light sources.
DOF and soft shadows can most assuredly be done on DX10.

DX11 does have a different implementation of DOF though.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I don't know about you guys but if the consoleshots are anything to go by then even the pc-version is beyond all redemption....

them angles.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
DOF can be done in DX9.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, textures reign supreme over all, and this game just has bad clipping and low resolutions.

subversus

DennisK4 said:
huh?

You can most definitely do DOF with DX10. Lots of games do.

you can do it but it seems to me that they have used DX11 implementation (see Metro 2033).

Also they use the same algorythm for soft shadows that was used for COP in DX11 according to the article.

subversus

Metalmurphy said:
You can do them in DX9 even...

yep. You can also install four 6970 to render it in in DX9.

Lyphen said:
DOF can be done in DX9.

Anyway, it doesn't matter, textures reign supreme over all, and this game just has bad clipping and low resolutions.

damn, I had to edit OP due to people not reading the full article. Advanced DOF. No costs comparing to DX9 people.

Bioware laid a solid CRPG foundation with the first DA. However, they wanted to go after the big $$$, so the MassEfficated the hell out of the sequel.

If Bioware wants to innovate and push the RPG genre forward, they should be trying to outdo CDProjekt Red.

subversus

Lasthope106 said:
Bioware laid a solid CRPG foundation with the first DA. However, they wanted to go after the big $$$, so the MassEfficated the hell out of the sequel.

If Bioware wants to innovate and push the RPG genre forward, they should be trying to outdo CDProjekt Red.

this thread is about technical side. but let's not forget about being negative nancies.

kamspy

subversus said:
how does RAM taste btw?

Fuuuuu. I forgot to stay out of Dragon Age 2 threads.

Guess I'll find out. Is RAM even safe for human consumption? Will it fuck up my blender if I wanted to drink it instead?

I need to see if I have a stick of laptop RAM laying around. FUCK.

DSN2K

no DX11 features will save the game from poor textures...even that shot shows off how ugly they are.

subversus

szaromir said:
So what's the combat system like after all? Is it actiony or tactical like the first game? PC ver of course.

there was a video about it. It's the same as in DAO.

subversus

DSN2K said:
no DX11 features will save the game from poor textures...even that shot shows off how ugly they are.

actually no, good lighting can hide bad textures. See Doom 3.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
kamspy said:

Guess I'll find out. Is RAM even safe for human consumption? Will it fuck up my blender if I wanted to drink it instead?

What is happening, here?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
kamspy said:

I'm pretty sure it's toxic.

_tetsuo_ said:
What is happening, here?
He said he would eat a RAM stick if there was a PC demo.

DSN2K

gameplay video is interesting...they really have upped the pace of this game. Mage is pretty much fighting like a rogue with Magic.

szaromir said:
So what's the combat system like after all? Is it actiony or tactical like the first game? PC ver of course.

From that one video a few months back, it's just a slightly quicker real-time-with-pause system, but Bioware is pretending it's an action rpg to get more sales.

At least I hope they are because it doesn't look like a good action game at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lostconfused said:
So the deep roads again huh.
Yeah, (game locations spoilers)
the entire game takes place in Kirkwall (which is supposed to be giant like Athkatla) and the surrounding area (the poop wastelands, the mountain, the forest, and the deep roads beneath the city).

mjc

I'm just happy it doesn't look like an N64 game like DA:O did. I'm working through Awakenings right now as well so this thread is pretty cool.

Eh I guess it still bothers me that what is supposed the most dangerous place in the entire world, inhabited by hordes of monsters, and the taint that slowly and painfully kills anyone who comes into contact with it is a favorite plays to go for shits and giggles.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still cautiously optimistic for the game. I think I pre-ordered it on Impulse when it wasn't too expensive, but unless I'm mistaken, there is no way to check since Impulse doesn't charge you until the game is released.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kurtofan said:
Need a youtube mirror of the vid, this thing is messed up.
I'm always astounded by Game Informer's ability to have the worst website and video player in existence.

Well, make that second worst website after the Kotaku redesign.

Lostconfused said:
the taint that slowly and painfully kills anyone who comes into contact with

Really? Because going by the first game, getting drenched in tainted darkspawn blood is a national past time for Ferelden, and everyone seemed pretty fine.

gogogow

Lowres textures was one of the bigger (graphical) problems in Mass Effect. It's all over the internet and yet Bioware didn't fix the problem with ME2. What do they do with the original textures? Do they delete them or something after they are done with the console versions? Why not just put them in the PC version? The textures in DA2 don't look too hot either.... :(

2San

DennisK4 said:
I assume you are talking about the console version because on the PC it looked great.
The console version looked good as well(for a console game at least). Great even if you compare it to other console wrpg's. How it played is another story though.

subversus

looks like a boosted up version of DAO combat except for flying not really high above the battle.

Top Bottom