• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avoid sexual assault by not dressing like a "slut" Says Toronto Cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Toronto police officer who told a gathering of university students that women could avoid sexual assault by not dressing like "sluts" will issue an apology, police said on Thursday.

The alleged comments were made during a campus safety information session at Osgoode Hall Law School in January.

York University officials said they were appalled by the officer's advice, and Toronto police were equally shocked.

Toronto police spokesperson Mark Pugash said the officer in question has been disciplined, but he can't detail the type of discipline.

Full Article here.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20110217/police-slut-comment/20110217/?hub=OttawaHome.

The officer in question might face suspension, or even may lose his job.

I don't know how I feel about this...I don't think what he said is far from the truth, maybe he just used the wrong word?

dream

In before thirdwavemalefeminist-gaf attacks but what he said IS pretty far from the truth. It's not just a poor choice of words.

EricHasNoPull said:
I don't know how I feel about this...I don't think what he said is far from the truth, maybe he just used the wrong word?

So you feel like men are sex crazed animals who can't control themselves? Cause that's the flipside of saying women who dress like sluts deserve to get raped.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If you want to avoid being sexually assaulted, just stop being a woman. I mean, it's your fault for having a vagina!

If you don't want your car to get broken into, stop leaving your desire-ables laying around in the front seat.

HOW DARE YOU!

Not a single person has said that they're rape apologists or that women should get raped. Not one. Cut the stupid please.

To be honest, I sometimes wear a burqa to ward off potential terrorists. I think this is similar. If you don't want to get raped, don't wear pro-rape gear.

CrankyJay

Banned
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Anything to make the victims feel at fault, right guys?

*rolls eyes*

I'm pretty sure this cop had prevention on his mind, not blame. When have the cops let a rapist off because "the girl was asking for it from the way she dressed"?

kamspy

ImperialConquest said:
Not very PC, but it's got lots of truth behind it... along with common sense.

I don't even know what to call the defense force that will soon invade this thread, but I'm sure there is one.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
DUFFMCWALIN said:
Rape and assault are never right. But what some women wear out in public now can be insane! Have a little decency.
Seriously, I'm trying not to rape people out here! Have some respect!

kamspy said:

I don't even know what to call the defense force that will soon invade this thread, but I'm sure there is one.
I think they're people who prefer to blame rapists for raping women, but that's just my guess.

Zoe

Bad choice of words. Common sense will tell you that if you dress to stand out and attract attention, you will stand out and attract attention, whether it's good or bad.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Medalion said:
Rape bad mmmkay but some truth, dont want unwanted attention, dont dress like u want that kinda bad attention

How exactly does one dress like they want to be raped? What sort of attire does the sort of person who wants to be raped wear?

CrankyJay said:
*rolls eyes*

I'm pretty sure this cop had prevention on his mind, not blame. When have the cops let a rapist off because "the girl was asking for it from the way she dressed"?

Here's a tip. Rapists rape. What a woman is wearing or doing has nothing to fucking do with what they plan on doin' or how they have no respect for a woman's consent.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
I would say it would DECREASE your chance, not eliminate it.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Wait. Are the responses so far the OPPOSITE of what they should be, or am I having an aneurysm? People are agreeing with the cop's opinion?

CrankyJay

Banned
Devolution said:
Here's a tip. Rapists rape. What a woman is wearing or doing has nothing to fucking do with what they plan on doin' or how they have no respect for a woman's consent.

I disagree. There's no set formula as to why people rape.

Ezduo

Banned
LabouredSubterfuge said:
To be honest, I sometimes wear a burqa to ward off potential terrorists. I think this is similar. If you don't want to get raped, don't wear pro-rape gear.
This thread. This thread right here is going places.

We should really try and avoid blaming the victim if at all possible. My Mom was raped back in the 70's and I don't care what she was wearing, it doesn't justify what that piece of shit did to her in the least.

Hari Seldon said:
That is advice that I would give to a loved one. I guess you can't say it in public for some reason.

Yeah slut-shame your female family members. Good for you. Too bad it doesn't prevent rape from happening.

The advice I'd give my loved ones is "take self defense classes, and if someone tries to rape you, knee him in the balls and gouge his fucking eyes out."

CrankyJay said:
I disagree. There's no set formula as to why people rape.

How do you disagree that a rapist is someone who disregards consent? Because that's what rapists do. What a woman is wearing is of no consequence to someone like that.

Anyway this is just another case of rape-prevention being the sole responsibility of the victims, instead of telling men to be decent people.

kamspy

SpeedingUptoStop said:
I think they're people who prefer to blame rapists for raping women, but that's just my guess.

That's not what the cop is saying.

For example. I have a nice hefty gold chain. Paid about $3k for it. 36", cuban link, a little flashy. Do I where it when I go to the hood to buy weed? No.

Common sense. It goes a long way.

Dresden

kamspy said:
That's not what the cop is saying.

For example. I have a nice hefty gold chain. Paid about $3k for it. 36", cuban link, a little flashy. Do I where it when I go to the hood to buy weed? No.

Common sense. It goes a long way.
Because every woman who gets raped is dressed like a slut.

Right.

CrankyJay

Banned
How do you disagree that a rapist is someone who disregards consent? Because that's what rapists do. What a woman is wearing is of no consequence to someone like that.

So you're telling me if woman if walking through a seedy part of town, her chances of getting raped are NO different than if she dressed in a parka and 10 layers of clothes versus being completely naked?

I can't be sure we're talking about the same thing exactly.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Ezduo said:
This thread. This thread right here is going places.

We should really try and avoid blaming the victim if at all possible. My Mom was raped back in the 70's and I don't care what she was wearing, it doesn't justify what that piece of shit did to her in the least.

Nothing does, however the Location a person is at, what they are wearing, how they carry themselves, all contribute to the chance of being assaulted.

Harassment on the other hand, I think has more to do with what they are wearing.
With assault, location and time of day have a far more reaching implications then what a person wears.

msv said:
You're a fucking dumbass if you think that will prevent rape. How a woman dresses has nothing to do with it.

Never been outside huh. Of course wearing "slutty clothing" gets that person more likely to get sexually assaulted, cat called, hit on, etc.

We're not talking running into psycho killers here...and neither was the cop. We're talking a group of 16-30 year olds that are drunk/horny/stupid and don't respect women the way white-knight gaf does. They get certain vibes from what you wear and how you go about yourself. We're talking club/bar/college/house party at night atmosphere...not dark alley. Ya know, the places where women get sexually assaulted that isn't domestic.

But I love morons that go from sexually assaulted straight to rape, show where their heads are at all times. As if it isn't a problem to women unless penetration occurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom