• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Game of Thrones Re-read Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

methodman

Banned
oggdhf.jpg

I made this thread last year, but I made it during finals. Was impossible to continue reading while everyone was so busy; Now I bet a ton of us are looking to re-read (or read the book for the first time), before the show starts on April 17th, so why not do it together?

http://winter-is-coming.net/ A shout out to Gutshot (poster on neogaf) who started the Winter is Coming blog. Pretty much the best spot for news on the HBO Series.

http://www.towerofthehand.com/books/101/ If you don't have time to read the book. don't feel like reading a particular chapter, or are a little behind, go here and read a chapter summary. Good stuff.

A couple of rules: If you are talking about future books, or something that occurs later in AGoT, write about it in a spoiler. (Spoilers are written by [ spoiler ] and [/ spoiler ] minus the spaces). Only talk about current or previous chapters without spoilers, but everything else has a spoiler.

February 19th - April 17th, 2011

February 19 - 1. Prologue
February 20 - 2. Bran - 1
February 20 - 3. Catelyn - 1
February 22 - 4. Daenerys - 1
February 22 - 5. Eddard - 1
February 24 - 6. Jon - 1
February 24 - 7. Catelyn - 2
February 26 - 8. Arya - 1
February 26 - 9. Bran - 2
February 27- 10. Tyrion - 1
February 27 - 11. Jon - 2
February 27 - 12. Daenerys - 2
March 1- 13. Eddard - 2
March 1 - 14. Tyrion - 2
March 3 - 15. Catelyn - 3
March 3 - 16. Sansa - 1
March 5- 17. Eddard - 3
March 5 - 18. Bran - 3
March 6- 19. Catelyn - 4
March 6 - 20. Jon - 3
March 6 - 21. Eddard - 4
March 8 - 22. Tyrion - 3
March 8 - 23. Arya - 2
March 10 - 24. Daenerys - 3
March 10 - 25. Bran - 4
March 12- 26. Eddard - 5
March 12 - 27. Jon - 4
March 13 - 28. Eddard - 6
March 13 - 29. Catelyn - 5
March 13 - 30. Sansa - 2
March 15 - 31. Eddard - 7
March 15 - 32. Tyrion - 4
March 17 - 33. Arya - 3
March 17 - 34. Eddard - 8
March 19 - 35. Catelyn - 6
March 19- 36. Eddard - 9
March 19 - 37. Daenerys - 4
March 20 - 38. Bran - 5
March 20 - 39. Tyrion - 5
March 20 - 40. Eddard - 10
March 20 - 41. Catelyn - 7
March 22 - 42. Jon - 5
March 22 - 43. Tyrion - 6
March 24 - 44. Eddard - 11
March 24 - 45. Sansa - 3
March 26 - 46. Eddard - 12
March 26 - 47. Daenerys - 5
March 27 - 48. Eddard - 13
March 27 - 49. Jon - 6
March 30 - 50. Eddard - 14
March 30 - 51. Arya - 4
March 31 - 52. Sansa - 4
April 2 - 53. Jon - 7
April 2 - 54. Bran - 6
April 3 - 55. Daenerys - 6
April 3 - 56. Catelyn - 8
April 3 - 57. Tyrion - 7
April 5 - 58. Sansa - 5
April 5 - 59. Eddard - 15
April 7 - 60. Catelyn - 9
April 7 - 61. Jon - 8
April 9 - 62. Daenerys - 7
April 9 - 63. Tyrion - 8
April 10 - 64. Catelyn - 10
April 10 - 65. Daenerys - 8
April 12 - 66. Arya - 5
April 12 - 67. Bran - 7
April 14 - 68. Sansa - 6
April 14 - 69. Daenerys - 9
April 16 - 70. Tyrion - 9
April 16 - 71. Jon - 9
April 17 - 72. Catelyn - 11
April 17 - 73. Daenerys – 10

Cool thread. I'm currently in the middle of A Storm of Swords for the first time, so my goal is to finish that up before the show, but I'll definitely be following this to refresh my memory and see some reactions

Helmholtz

I'd join in but I still need to read a Feast for Crows. Just taking a little break after the amazingness that was Storm.
Game of Thrones is a fucking masterpiece though, it's seriously one of the greatest books I've ever read. Reading that book for the first time was one of the best experiences I've had reading a novel. The world is just so fresh and exciting in the first book.

I'll join, but I can't promise following the whole chapter a night thing. At best I'll probably read a few chapters whenever I can, and come back and comment.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Damnit damnit damnit! For the past six months every copy at the library has been checked out and on reserve. I keep hearing about how great this book is.

methodman

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Damnit damnit damnit! For the past six months every copy at the library has been checked out and on reserve. I keep hearing about how great this book is.
Try to get it so you can read with us, will be worth it when the HBO series starts

esbern

Forkball said:
Be sure to read them Dothraki style.

dothraki style?

anyway, i just finished reading up to 4 like a few days ago, i absolutely love them. tyrion is probably my favorite character, then arya and
jaime after release

i can't stand reading anything about brand and catelyn
until she starts busting zombie time.

coldvein

Banned
hmmm. i might need to join in on this business.. it has been a while. the question is, by the time i'm done reading the whole series again will the next book have come out!?!

edit @ Technomancer: as mentioned in the game of thrones thread on the gaming side, i've got an extra paperback copy of the first book. let me know if you want it.

Forkball said:
Be sure to read them Dothraki style.
Roy Dotrice, the guy who does the audiobook versions of the first 3 in the series does an awesome job with the Dothraki, as well as the rest of the regional dialects. I might just have to listen to this book again just for this thread.

sharkmuncher said:
Roy Dotrice, the guy who does the audiobook versions of the first 3 in the series does an awesome job with the Dothraki, as well as the rest of the regional dialects. I might just have to listen to this book again just for this thread.

I will have to listen to the audio book now.

_Isaac

Oh wow so much reading!
I have this book and I'm only like 40 pages in. It's okay so far, and I keep having to check the appendix to keep all the characters straight. I guess I'll try to follow along, but I'll most likely fall behind. I don't even get HBO.

_Isaac said:
Oh wow so much reading!
I have this book and I'm only like 40 pages in. It's okay so far, and I keep having to check the appendix to keep all the characters straight. I guess I'll try to follow along, but I'll most likely fall behind. I don't even get HBO.

it's a slow starter but you don't have much further to go.

Started reading Game of Thrones about a month ago. The first couple hundred pages were okay, but then all hell starts to break loose and the book takes a turn for the awesome. Only have 300 pages left.

Sogood.jpg.

_Isaac

FlawlessCowboy said:
Started reading Game of Thrones about a month ago. The first couple hundred pages were okay, but then all hell starts to break loose and the book takes a turn for the awesome. Only have 300 pages left.

Sogood.jpg.

A couple hundred pages? Holy Christ. Slow starter indeed. xD

An-Det

I think I'll try to keep up with this. I read the first three years ago but never read A Feast For Crows, so this will give me good reason to get around to it.

Carlisle

I just finished my first read of GoT a couple weeks ago. Great book, looking forward to CoK. But I'll follow along and read your discussions as a re-primer to prep for the show to see if I pick up on anything I missed.

stupei

Since there seem to be a lot of new people in this thread, I guess we'll have to keep an eye on spoilers.

But I'm in. Only got into the books last year myself, but I was contemplating a reread anyway. Glad for the excuse.

Peru

I bought this book five days ago and started reading before I noticed this thread. Five days later and I've already read through it. Needless to say I got hooked, and I haven't read any real fantasy literature since my Tolkien days as a teenager.

Not sure if this thread will get rolling, but all this stuff is fresh in my mind so I'll be happy to participate even if I just closed the book.

Anyway, three first chapters. Unlike the others I didn't find it slow or hard to get into at all. I was hooked from the start. I'm sure that was helped by me being pretty hyped, waiting for the book to show up in the post, knowing a bit about what to expect.

I also loved seeing a kid being given a main role from the start. It's so easy for an epic like this to be bogged down by endlessly important, big, pompous characters, so giving kids so much attention was a relief.

Tucah

you speak so well
I'll join in on this in a month or so, currently reading The Name of the Wind in preparation for Wise Man's Fear next week.

Ihya

Hah ha! Just re-read it a month ago. So, no. But I'll engage in chit chat as folks plough through it.

Drewsky

I'll try it out. I didn't really like it when I started reading it a few months ago and quit, but I'll give it another shot.

I'm a couple days behind already I guess.

finished re-reading AGOT a week ago, my favorite foreshadowing that i picked up on was
Walder Frey: "What good are apologies, I ask you?" to Catelyn while she's negotiating at the Crossing.
gfg

Clipjoint

Advance_Alarm said:
finished re-reading AGOT a week ago, my favorite foreshadowing that i picked up on was
Walder Frey: "What good are apologies, I ask you?" to Catelyn while she's negotiating at the Crossing.
gfg
Heh.

Sielys

Sandor Clegane is still one of my favorite characters, re-reading chapters with him (before he was anything more than an ugly jerk) in A Game of Thrones only reinforces this point....I wish Martin had expanded his role.

Peru

Have to say Daenerys' storyline captured me from the start. I've read people saying otherwise, that she's weak and naive, but I don't get that. The great thing about her character in this book is how she's unsure, unsafe and careful, but then lashes out when provoked, like you see the devil in her eyes.

methodman

Banned
February 19 - 1. Prologue
February 20 - 2. Bran - 1
February 20 - 3. Catelyn - 1

I haven't had much time to get on here, but here's my update for these chapters.

The prologue was always something I kind of skimmed over until now (I was like, where's the damn action?), but this time I realized how much the prologue was forecasting events into the future. Waymar choking Will with the blue eyes was a nicely written scene.

bran's chapter introduces us to a lot of the best characters. gives us a lot of insight into what type of character eddard is (he is executing someone instead of allowing someone else to do it for him). Robb commented that the man who was executed died bravely, but Jon, knowing more of human's instinctively (maybe) thought he was paralyzed by fear. They find 5 direwolves, Jon says there's one for each of eddard's (real) children. ouch. luckily he hears something and finds ghost with his red eyes for himself.

"Winter is coming." By far one of my favorite lines ever from any book i've read (in connection with the story and the contrast behind why eddard said it and what catelyn thought about it). catelyn really hates jon, lol

I enjoyed daenerys' story from the get go. it was so different than any other chapters, story, location, people, etc. just great stuff. viserys was a cool character too imo

robert has grown fat, eddard always thought he was in great shape (though of a boar of a man - forgot the precise thoughts he had), now he was just fat and out of shape. first time we learn of eddard's sister, lyanna. robert takes eddard down into the crypt to pay his respects. obvious that robert loved lyanna, but maybe the love wasn't exactly returned. eddard is now the hand of the king.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Haven't read the series before, but I've heard good things about it. I'm tempted to go out and pick up the first book right now.

Tomat said:
Haven't read the series before, but I've heard good things about it. I'm tempted to go out and pick up the first book right now.
Do it. It will fast track you into GAF's good graces

It is also probably the most brilliant "fantasy" series you will ever have the pleasure of reading

Peru

methodman said:
viserys was a cool character too imo

Yep, entertaining in his bitterness. It's funny how he comes off a so dangerous, powerful and sure of himself at the beginning here, and then the pathetic reality is gradually revealed.

Priz

Had the first book for a while, but have been intimidated by the sheer size of it. I'm trying to catch up (one chapter behind so far) and hope to be up to speed by the weekend.

This is as good a place as any to ask the question. I'm currently halfway through the fourth book.

Where the hell is Bravos? It isn't on the maps and I can't logically place it in my mind.

Big-E

PalaceBrother said:
This is as good a place as any to ask the question. I'm currently halfway through the fourth book.

Where the hell is Bravos? It isn't on the maps and I can't logically place it in my mind.

I have the same problem actually. Halfway through like you and I can't picture where it is. I don't understand why they go from
Eastwatch and then Braavos instead of just heading south. I assume it is East somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom