• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is there a reason why Euro Trucks and US Trucks look so different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iidesuyo

Noticed this when watching some movies.

Common Euro trucks:

VolvoFH16700_1.jpg

dyn008_original_567_425_pjpeg_2626012_4b341cf5d3cc2a5c49eefde9e788b743.jpg

mercedes-trucks-2-30.jpg

US trucks:

reisebericht-florida-us-truck.jpeg

us_trucks0004.jpg

What's the reason for that "snout"?

antonz

Alot of American Semi have a small but managable sleeping space behind the driver seat. Cross Country driving is a different beast in the US versus most European countries

S. L.

superior technology and more space efficient.
on the other hand us trucks often have to travel longer distances, so they are roomier.

...i guess

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
antonz said:
Alot of American Semi have a small but managable sleeping space behind the driver seat. Cross Country driving is a different beast in the US versus most European countries

The real /thread

Another thread where Europeans cannot comprehend a countries size that isn't as small as the average European country.

EL Beefo

In Europe, the maximum length of trucks includes the cab and the trailer. In America, the maximum length only applies to the trailer. So in Europe they use the shorter cab over engine designs to maximize the length of the trailers.

I wouldn't want to drive a vehicle with the engine below me.

we have trucks like that in America too, but they usually don't have sleepers in them. America is, ya know, big. So truckers have to sleep when they are driving cross country. This isn't England where it takes 4 hours to go coast to coast.

iidesuyo

antonz said:

So do European trucks, this cannot be the reason. There's lots of long distance travel in Europe as well, especially since the 90's. The EU by now is like a united country when it comes to economics.

iidesuyo said:
So do European trucks, this cannot be the reason. There's lots of long distance travel in Europe as well, especially since the 90's.
Maybe because it looks like shit? Or theres less room for an engine and we can legally pull more so we have a bigger diesel engine? Or we like our engines out in front? There could be multiple reasons.

EL Beefo said:
In Europe, the maximum length of trucks includes the cab and the trailer. In America, the maximum length only applies to the trailer. So in Europe they use the shorter cab over engine designs to maximize the length of the trailers.

Right answer.

B.K.

They make trucks with the cab over the engine in America, but they're a bit rare now. They used to be more common back in the 80s and 90s.

Jobiensis

Those aren't trucks

This is a truck
P7SrI.jpg

You didn't try very hard, because the U.S. fire engines aren't that much different, and you will see cab-overs with smaller trailers around cities.

In the U.S. a lot of the large cross country semis are privately owned (the driver owns the truck).

iidesuyo

Just wow at the "LOL stupid Euros don't know how big America is". Tell that to the truckers who, for example, regulary drive from Madrid to Helsinki and back. Or Denmark-Turkey etc.

P7SrI.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure that's what the standard length of a truck in the US is.

Zenith

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
The real /thread

Another thread where Europeans cannot comprehend a countries size that isn't as small as the average European country.

I've seen plenty of short-nosed trucks with sleeping bunks at the back of the cab. And European long-haul trucks typically have to drive through multiple countries. Every other day there's a story about how a foreign lorry driver comes to England and his sat-nav gets him stuck in a country road.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
quadriplegicjon said:
dyn008_original_567_425_pjpeg_2626012_4b341cf5d3cc2a5c49eefde9e788b743.jpg

that looks exactly like american fire trucks
Except its made by volkwagen

I'm curious, is there a reason euros feel to mock american things they don't quite get? There are threads like this all over that openly mock something that's american based

Jobiensis

iidesuyo said:
Just wow at the "LOL stupid Euros don't know how big America is". Tell that to the truckers who, for example, regulary drive from Madrid to Helsinki and back. Or Denmark-Turkey etc.

Just wow at "LOL Americans Europe is big too". Trucks are the main way cargo is transported in the U.S. Talking about Helsinki to Madrid is about as relevant as Miami to Seattle. The Australian road train was posted because you are comparing different purpose vehicles and ignoring the disparity between trailer sizes.

EL Beefo said:

The only correct answer.

Thats why US buses also have a flat front, because the length of the bus would include the ugly snout.

This bus has to meet the hard limit of 60 feet (can only be exceeded with federal waiver)
MVTANOVADEMOBUSFULL.jpg

This bus is short, so they can waste space.

clovisfullside.jpg

Jobiensis said:
Just wow at "LOL Americans Europe is big too". Trucks are the main way cargo is transported in the U.S.

False, trains are. Try again.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Parallax said:

I'm curious, is there a reason euros feel to mock american things they don't quite get? There are threads like this all over that openly mock something that's american based

They're bitter about being America jr.

JBuccCP

The long hooded trucks look like an awesome German Shepherd or other cool looking dog. The flat ones look like some derpish Pug or Boston Terrier.

Psh. This is what REAL trucks look like!

Tuning-pakistan.jpg

Traditional_Pakistani_truck.jpeg

trucks-3.png

trucks-6.jpg

Pakistani-Truck-Art.jpg

In fact, Pakistan has this whole truck subculture thing where the idea is to deck your truck with as many decorations as you possibly can!

Enosh

iidesuyo said:
isn't it cheaper for shiping companies to transport stuff for Hellsinki via ship to the port of Rotterdam, Hamburg or Antwerp, which are some of the biggest Euro ports and then to helsing, similary if you produce stuff in Madrid isn't in cheaper to drive it to the nearest port and load it on a ship that goes to one of the more northern ports anyway, if you can even do that, no idea?

but hell I have no idea how they have the whole thing done, or how the cost compare, I am just speculating ^^

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Mechanical Snowman said:
Holy crap that looks luxurious as fuck.

I would love to own and live in a semi truck, driving all around America and just chilling. Maybe put on cruise control and have a nap. Awesome.

10-38

Outsider blabbing about auto-drive system.

Burger

EL Beefo said:

Check out the big brain on El Beefo.

iidesuyo

Parallax said:

What the... where did I mock anything?!

Edit: Actually I think US trucks look quite cool. The Coca Cola trucks use their design too, otherwisae they are not seen around here.

Sealda

Banned
95 % of all european truck got sleeping places too. Seriously. Driving Stockholm to Rome takes helluva long time. etc...

I do think europeans makes better trucks .

MAN_1_redim.jpg

Scania

0809lt3.jpg

Korey

iidesuyo said:
I have never even heard of any of those places so America wins by default.

Gallbaro

Banned
Sealda said:
95 % of all european truck got sleeping places too. Seriously. Driving Stockholm to Rome takes helluva long time. etc...

I do think europeans makes better trucks .

MAN_1_redim.jpg

Scania

0809lt3.jpg

Easier access to the larger engines and a more aerodynamic shape. What is not too love about American trucks?

LQX

jamesinclair said:
The only correct answer.

Thats why US buses also have a flat front, because the length of the bus would include the ugly snout.

This bus has to meet the hard limit of 60 feet (can only be exceeded with federal waiver)
http://www.metro-magazine.com/images/news/MVTANOVADEMOBUSFULL.jpg[IMG]

This bus is short, so they can waste space.

[IMG]http://www.fresnobusads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/clovisfullside.jpg[IMG]

[B]
False, trains are. Try again.[/B][/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure you are wrong on this unless things have changed in the last 2 or so years but trucks do much of the transporting of goods in the US, not trains.

[QUOTE=samus i am]Pretty similar:

[IMG]http://dailyderbi.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/PierceFireTruck2007.jpg
He said they look exactly alike. To me they look pretty damn different besides being red. The NYC version is more rugged where as the Volvo looks kind of sleek.

952578.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom