• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster World IV coming outside of Japan for VC (PS3/360? Post #62)

Emotions

SEGA's Monster World IV - the final entry in what had evolved from the Wonder Boy franchise - has been rated by the Australian Classification Board. This Mega Drive adventure never saw the light of day outside Japan, and judging by today's rating it'll remain untranslated on the Virtual Console.

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/news/25353/

Whoa!!! good news hopefully it comes over to america soon.. one of my favorites series ever and the final one is coming outside of japana :D .... hopefully it's translated (i doubt it though) either way good news!!!

...whaaat? None of the VC import games to date have been translated, and this one would be barely playable without knowledge of Japanese. Is Sega going to license the fan translation, assuming that's even allowed by Nintendo?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wasn't this terrible?

Wonder Boy in Monster World (MegaDrive) is one of my favourite games of all time. I played it more than the Sonic games.

I've been meaning to play through the earlier Master System titles. I have a very vague memory of one of them.

mollipen

JaseC said:
Wasn't this terrible?

Monster World IV? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... no.

This really needs to come to the US VC. Actually, it really needs to be translated, but something is better than nothing.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
shidoshi said:
Monster World IV? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... no.

This really needs to come to the US VC. Actually, it really needs to be translated, but something is better than nothing.

I've never played it, but have always wanted to due to how much I loved its predecessor, and I swear I read up on it one afternoon and found it was the black sheep of the series.

I must have my wires crossed.

meppi

Fuck yeah. :D

I already have the Japanese MD game, as well as the PS2 collection, but still.
The more exposure for this game, the better.

The Take Out Bandit said:
Oh hell, ordered the JP PS2 collection during Play Asia sale. Love Shantae and I hear my genie girl borrowed some from these games.
Wait, aren't these games playable in English? And MWIV?

jay

Yeah, this does need to be in English. I got stuck because I couldn't figure out what to do next.

Monster World IV has a puzzle or two that's completely impossible to figure out unless you A) Know Japanese or B) Read a guide or C) Play the translated rom.

It's a brilliant game but Sega is doing a major disservice by not translating it.

dave_d

Father_Brain said:
...whaaat? None of the VC import games to date have been translated, and this one would be barely playable without knowledge of Japanese. Is Sega going to license the fan translation, assuming that's even allowed by Nintendo?

I don't know. It's mostly playable except for that quiz section. (I managed to get by that with alot of trial and error.) Hey, you didn't think there'd be a post about Wonderboy and have me not reply, right? :)

dave_d

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Monster World IV has a puzzle or two that's completely impossible to figure out unless you A) Know Japanese or B) Read a guide or C) Play the translated rom.

It's a brilliant game but Sega is doing a major disservice by not translating it.

Damn, I forgot about the puzzle where you have to place the statues into their proper locations. Man that took awhile to solve via trial and error. (You have to place 5 statues in the proper location, that's 5! or 120 possible permutations.)

duckroll

It's one thing to release a game like Sin and Punishment without translation (first all the cutscenes are already voiced in English, secondly it's an action shooter and the story is total garbage anyway). It's another thing to release Monster World IV untranslated. It would be completely pointless, because anyone who would actually want to play it in Japanese could have done so ages ago. It's not even a rare game like S&P which would have been pricey to acquire, since the Sega Ages Monster World Complete Collection is like 20 bucks.

Terrible waste.

dave_d said:
Damn, I forgot about the puzzle where you have to place the statues into their proper locations. Man that took awhile to solve via trial and error. (You have to place 5 statues in the proper location, that's 5! or 120 possible permutations.)
Yep. I hate those puzzles even in a language I can read.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
The Take Out Bandit said:
Oh hell, ordered the JP PS2 collection during Play Asia sale. Love Shantae and I hear my genie girl borrowed some from these games.
This and Fantasy Zone complete collection are factually the best things you can buy for the PS2.

duckroll said:
It's one thing to release a game like Sin and Punishment without translation (first all the cutscenes are already voiced in English, secondly it's an action shooter and the story is total garbage anyway). It's another thing to release Monster World IV untranslated. It would be completely pointless, because anyone who would actually want to play it in Japanese could have done so ages ago. It's not even a rare game like S&P which would have been pricey to acquire, since the Sega Ages Monster World Complete Collection is like 20 bucks.

Terrible waste.

$29 @ Play Asia :D

sfried

I'm going to get this. I already have Gradius II and Rondo of Blood on my VC. Don't mind if I get Pulseman and this as well.

Cmagus

JaseC said:
Wasn't this terrible?

Wonder Boy in Monster World (MegaDrive) is one of my favourite games of all time. I played it more than the Sonic games.

I've been meaning to play through the earlier Master System titles. I have a very vague memory of one of them.

Agreed easily the best genesis game played through it several time on the Wii VC.Hopefully they bring this game here id like to play it

Never heard of this game before, but it sounds like something I'd really enjoy. Too bad it won't be translated if it gets brought over though... I got Rondo of Blood and that was fine, but this thread makes it sound like the text is necessary for it to be playable.

Yeah Monster World IV isn't going to be even remotely playable if you can't understand the text. But considering that Sega just released Puyo Puyo on the Virtual Console with online play, maybe they somehow convinced Nintendo to go back on their "Virtual Console games can't have any changes or improvements whatsoever!!!`" stance and they'll give us a translated version?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
nincompoop said:
Yeah Monster World IV isn't going to be even remotely playable if you can't understand the text. But considering that Sega just released Puyo Puyo on the Virtual Console with online play, maybe they somehow convinced Nintendo to go back on their "Virtual Console games can't have any changes or improvements whatsoever!!!`" stance and they'll give us a translated version?
WHAT? :O

Or did you mean Puyo Puyo Wiiware and not VC?

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
JaseC said:
I've never played it, but have always wanted to due to how much I loved its predecessor, and I swear I read up on it one afternoon and found it was the black sheep of the series.

I must have my wires crossed.
Youre confusing it with Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair for MD (black sheep of the series if you want to call it like that)
The one you love is probably Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap for Sega MKIII (Master System in the US) I guess.

Somnid

nincompoop said:

VCA is a bit more open on how publishers want to do it. There's a lot of different feature sets for different VCA runs which makes sense because arcade games are all over the map. It's also not that VC games can't have changes (many do), it's that Nintendo is going for a more purist approach to retro games.

I really can't say what they might do. If they could cheaply do a translation then perhaps they might but I wouldn't hold out for it.

Huh... yeah, I'm very interested and will probably buy it if it's translated, but if it's not, no interest. A game like this requires you to be able to read the text to understand it. I doubt they'll translate it as the only VC game that got a translation just for VC was Sin & Punishment, which has a very minimal amount of text in it to translate particularly compared to an action-RPG like this, and it's Sega, but if they are it'd be pretty awesome...

Unfortunately though it'll almost certainly be untranslated, and what in the world is the point of releasing a game like this to a Western audience in Japanese? There can't be many people that either know the language or are willing to suffer through figuring out what to do through the whole game.

Somnid

A Black Falcon said:
Huh... yeah, I'm very interested and will probably buy it if it's translated, but if it's not, no interest. A game like this requires you to be able to read the text to understand it. I doubt they'll translate it as the only VC game that got a translation just for VC was Sin & Punishment, which has a very minimal amount of text in it to translate particularly compared to an action-RPG like this, and it's Sega, but if they are it'd be pretty awesome...

Unfortunately though it'll almost certainly be untranslated, and what in the world is the point of releasing a game like this to a Western audience in Japanese? There can't be many people that either know the language or are willing to suffer through figuring out what to do through the whole game.

Well this thread seems made almost entirely of people who can either understand Japanese or who have suffered through it despite not knowing it. Surely this means there's interest.

duckroll

Somnid said:
Well this thread seems made almost entirely of people who can either understand Japanese or who have suffered through it despite not knowing it. Surely this means there's interest.

Yeah but I already own a superior version of the game. Why would I buy it again? Not like it's a localized version that deserves support...

Balb

A Black Falcon said:

I'm not holding out hope but maybe they could justify translating it by throwing in MWIV into the myriad of Sega compilations they're going to release in the future.

100% YES

But it would have to be translated right? I'm pretty sure there are too many puzzles/text elements to fumble through if you don't know Japanese.

JaseC said:
Wasn't this terrible?
No, you're probably thinking of Monster Lair, which I remember hating back in the day. This one is really good.

Monster Land and Dragon's Trap are great. Dragon's Trap is technically superior but I have many fond memories of Monster Land.

Palette Swap said:
Monster Land and Dragon's Trap are great. Dragon's Trap is technically superior but I have many fond memories of Monster Land.
I have many fond memories of playing Mônica no Castelo do Dragão, Monster Land's official Brazilian hack.

Andrex said:
VC has been one of the best things to happen this generation.
When the support is there, it's great.

I'm not a super fan of the massive droughts it goes through though, but it's been a bit better lately thankfully.

The Spoony Hou said:
Well, Nintendo says it doesn't sell. I'm happy they are still trying.

Where's my DK64?
But they put about 0.00001% effort into any kind of marketing/promotion for it, they need to step it up in that department for sure.

Gunloc said:
But they put about 0.00001% effort into any kind of marketing/promotion for it, they need to step it up in that department for sure.
Yeah, you're right. Both VC and WiiWare badly need promotion. It's sad to see everyone ignoring them.

And everyone needs to buy Super Metroid :(.

eso76

Heh, i remember reading rumors LONG time ago that Sega was working on a new wonderboy in monster land ARPG not too dissimilar from Zelda OOT.

(maybe they're doing this in preparation to wonderboy's return ? i wish..)

Big One

Banned
My favorite of the bunch, love this game. Such an underrated little masterpiece that unfortunately never got localized. This could've seriously been recognized as one of the Genesis' best if it was released in the West.

nincompoop said:

Nintendo don't prevent publishers from making necessary changes like translation or (in the case of Ufouria) adding 60hz support to a PAL game for the US release.

Speaking of which, SEGA are known for making bug fixes and minor changes to their VC releases. There's a thread about it here http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=16550

Also, didn't Alien Soldier VC have a new translation for the US release? I know that it's different from the EU (cartridge and VC) version and I'm sure that I remember hearing that it's different from the Sega Channel version too.

This game will set a precedent since it is the first VC import with a significant amount of Japanese text. I'd say that a translation is not completely impossible.

Top Bottom