• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Boy Advance Was A Monster System

I have the Gameboy Advance SP - Ltd Ed NES version still mint factory-sealed in its box, with a bunch of the NES Classics series games in their boxes. :)

I picked up a micro in great condition w/o any dead pixels and great battery for $70 at a local game shop last year =) I was so glad I found one, I had been watching eBay for months then randomly walked in to a mom and pop store and saw it, I adore the system.

To OP, original GBA (glacier ice) was my first "console" that I purchased myself when I was a kid, I felt so proud standing in the line and redeeming my preorder. Can't believe this launched 15 years ago and I am still playing one. I still have the boxes of chu chu rocket and mario 2 from launch, such nostalgia.

Now I just need to find a Saturn for a reasonable price, my parents would yell at me for the $ racked up from playing virtual on online—too bad my twinsticks were sold at a garage sale =(

nkarafo

I wonder why they didn't make an original, new Mario platform game on the system. Everything was remakes and ports.

RE: GB/GBC emulation on GBA; You can even display the Super Game Boy borders with the GBC-exclusive pallette in some games. There's slowdown and shit tho, so it's not perfect.

tumblr_nb3klaNNAW1qdzoq5o1_1280.jpg

The Game Boy Advance is my favorite Nintendo system ever. I rarely leave home without my Micro, it's the only console I can carry comfortably in my pocket. It might not have a new Mario, but it has the best version of Super Mario Bros. 3 plus the level cards, which were pretty much a new game. I got a save file with all of them unlocked on my cart a few years ago, and they make the game so much better.

DwzLZDYr_zowuhCEiAPyCZieWBf441Sg9dgWHTgnTWPp2rehLdU6mLzCUZZi-PWNaOZ9Wb4EPElEUB9-k3KEjcFujkgkarVhKUq6SyZ4RMge2dIapn2GdQ8ZOBWct0hIodi5uHeK5GFDxXjj1pvSMfMQQJTSMl93DQfhNrA7FHsyUUmgUqFGTgqROC26BKi_iGHmcUgbE3TwMrZ0AkSdiBAXHbFH_LWj9x9swIWosfwvOKZjvBJWc5C10eUBEjqPd8RLoplfOD22Gehn0ddQlio1ZSDnzvcZHTy8M0UMeqs8iIgTWFky3KpyvQkQ3CrE_hzKGxR_V_skJcM_o2miWJPP2TX7N3eFo1WZjIbhTRwdpmUvlR6zlRFvzYOAuDwXBLK0HB39T9OnKENd65Suko8IWd35jY8RTXHSszhCWtq3l_4ZYiosRaoJx_Px4hjSINiyoGIusXUxBmEtUNjgQLC4r3NEKVWriBVU9lxX7r9cHaMna3_-mCQOvcLypGjY7ZtN0pERAkGzYs8Kpu-ImlEKEHlT3bzaKCEAsGSxRsh66NRjpihgdx1dK1K8IbZGeR7y7HqmKS8NKTT9txhOSsoDkJGfx-pgwmINVcgIt-fvdM9NtMoyW9fhuQ8kU7qPKktNC-IU-iWLRIxWtAc1Hvf-I_4jcbnCFIbV5WHw9A=w1635-h921-no

cLZISAaIMcGE2mOTCNL6LWgSrGx-djhwU2Fh4kJlSHxAlmcbzJ0tiXVJpzmdG8Pdlp8TZ-c2-7Rgma49gbeeIBHOODgillyFUtPKUiOhtoZ4nT0WIHSX9Gn-YdZfel0m8JTI5-EEkLhIuyL_ZVK8mtkPv1dGmZrrL8wW0q_DLTu59fk7vmLbVm-hTWiXzmXh8r2njRiqN_CsqcihS72RxFTEwe0p2bi1nts_npYSH0UCL5njYlh-CmIBYzbxlWOClAIpBWgJ_o0QXn0ysprbWnig78NwXi16yObfJW0i7CmMneNe8h88IESs-3se6ZUo5JcugKljY_PykEqxwR7jc5XdF0rD5jSC3emESOH2YRmsuHuUigQGM5cQIEKQVvB3pd0fRZuLBtJeisVFB5mv5RiUv7IfTsn7dqVBwwWSw0soPu33UHdL8Zqmmcpggeiz89s9j5CkWZcZUdej8aXPesDXmI3Lal2jpGZ7TyT1HYfCoEk703rAcwoL2omIp3spQoBQb0tHkKRHuUzZtiUnD2f4y3exuDb1QHmbGPGW-0EkmzgRttNo0_ESuKqdmAAPF5ogSt9zkDunKL3wEPcv9abwbPr2XAIUNlkb-fhdJ-jE0aVC_BHaMXrxQ0PLNW3_Uv2mxy9SxCzwz_NtpuhFdVXXvLgJXGcD6gpw5YckOA=w1635-h921-no

jyoung188

YOOOOOO PSA:

Gamestop has 25% off all retro games plus if you use CAG16 you get another 16% off!

Some really cheap GBA games with those discounts. Picked up Fire Red and Leaf green for about 15 bucks each.

https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/360658-25-off-retro-games-at-gamestop-online-only/

GBA games

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/nintendo-gba?nav=16k-3-vintage,28-xu0,1387

Thanks!

I picked up Super Mario World, Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga, Yoshi's Island, FF Tactics, and Warioware for $43. Worked out perfect because I had $40 credit for trading in The Last Gaurdian two days ago. Although I had Golden Sun in my cart but it sold out before I could check out :/

Now to find a nice SP 101 on eBay.

HotHamBoy

It was obvious when that was the case but the blue tint washed out colors on the Micro was due to the LCD. It was sharp but the ghosting was rubbish, playing SMW the black pixels would ghost across the screen in a way that was really annoying.

I much prefer the original GBA even without any light, the controls alone and the size of the screen is much more confortable.

What's a reasonable price for a Saturn?

I got mine for $45 last year and I just saw one for $55 at a place I frequent.

Tell me more, please. Everdrive, maybe?

You can get an EZ FLASH IV for like $30

Grief.exe

The Game Boy Advance is my favorite Nintendo system ever. I rarely leave home without my Micro, it's the only console I can carry comfortably in my pocket. It might not have a new Mario, but it has the best version of Super Mario Bros. 3 plus the level cards, which were pretty much a new game. I got a save file with all of them unlocked on my cart a few years ago, and they make the game so much better.

DwzLZDYr_zowuhCEiAPyCZieWBf441Sg9dgWHTgnTWPp2rehLdU6mLzCUZZi-PWNaOZ9Wb4EPElEUB9-k3KEjcFujkgkarVhKUq6SyZ4RMge2dIapn2GdQ8ZOBWct0hIodi5uHeK5GFDxXjj1pvSMfMQQJTSMl93DQfhNrA7FHsyUUmgUqFGTgqROC26BKi_iGHmcUgbE3TwMrZ0AkSdiBAXHbFH_LWj9x9swIWosfwvOKZjvBJWc5C10eUBEjqPd8RLoplfOD22Gehn0ddQlio1ZSDnzvcZHTy8M0UMeqs8iIgTWFky3KpyvQkQ3CrE_hzKGxR_V_skJcM_o2miWJPP2TX7N3eFo1WZjIbhTRwdpmUvlR6zlRFvzYOAuDwXBLK0HB39T9OnKENd65Suko8IWd35jY8RTXHSszhCWtq3l_4ZYiosRaoJx_Px4hjSINiyoGIusXUxBmEtUNjgQLC4r3NEKVWriBVU9lxX7r9cHaMna3_-mCQOvcLypGjY7ZtN0pERAkGzYs8Kpu-ImlEKEHlT3bzaKCEAsGSxRsh66NRjpihgdx1dK1K8IbZGeR7y7HqmKS8NKTT9txhOSsoDkJGfx-pgwmINVcgIt-fvdM9NtMoyW9fhuQ8kU7qPKktNC-IU-iWLRIxWtAc1Hvf-I_4jcbnCFIbV5WHw9A=w1635-h921-no

cLZISAaIMcGE2mOTCNL6LWgSrGx-djhwU2Fh4kJlSHxAlmcbzJ0tiXVJpzmdG8Pdlp8TZ-c2-7Rgma49gbeeIBHOODgillyFUtPKUiOhtoZ4nT0WIHSX9Gn-YdZfel0m8JTI5-EEkLhIuyL_ZVK8mtkPv1dGmZrrL8wW0q_DLTu59fk7vmLbVm-hTWiXzmXh8r2njRiqN_CsqcihS72RxFTEwe0p2bi1nts_npYSH0UCL5njYlh-CmIBYzbxlWOClAIpBWgJ_o0QXn0ysprbWnig78NwXi16yObfJW0i7CmMneNe8h88IESs-3se6ZUo5JcugKljY_PykEqxwR7jc5XdF0rD5jSC3emESOH2YRmsuHuUigQGM5cQIEKQVvB3pd0fRZuLBtJeisVFB5mv5RiUv7IfTsn7dqVBwwWSw0soPu33UHdL8Zqmmcpggeiz89s9j5CkWZcZUdej8aXPesDXmI3Lal2jpGZ7TyT1HYfCoEk703rAcwoL2omIp3spQoBQb0tHkKRHuUzZtiUnD2f4y3exuDb1QHmbGPGW-0EkmzgRttNo0_ESuKqdmAAPF5ogSt9zkDunKL3wEPcv9abwbPr2XAIUNlkb-fhdJ-jE0aVC_BHaMXrxQ0PLNW3_Uv2mxy9SxCzwz_NtpuhFdVXXvLgJXGcD6gpw5YckOA=w1635-h921-no

That's a great cover on the front to prevent scratches. I bought the same Micro used and it already had a few marks on the front and back.

mr.beers

Got a replacement battery for my SP from amazon the other day and it held the charge for 6 1/2 hours playing Advance Wars. Could have swore it only lasted 3 hours previously.

horkrux

Ah, a chance to share pictures of my creation

img_080213uk8.jpg

1. I did it myself
2. The mainboard is not the perfect model so the screen basically doesn't even fit inside and I had to fasten the shell real tight
3. The glass lifts up ever so slightly at the bottom because it's so fucking tight that the shell is no longer flat
4. I didn't remove enough of the plastic so the screen isn't seated properly
5. Haven't even really used it
6. Would probably get PTSD playing on this.
7. fml

But I'm sure it's a really nice system with many games. I have six games

TheMoon

If you would want to buy a GBA-system today, what would be the best choice? And where to buy?

eBay, what else is there
"best choice" = backlit-screen modded original GBA
realistic choice = backlit (AGS-101) GBA SP
cool realistic choice but only if you don't have gigantic hands that would crush it = GB Micro

I must be the only guy who isn't in love with the micro. It doesn't exceed gimmick, for me.

If the resolution was identical, then we'd be in business, but when you can barely read the text in RPGs because the resolution hacks away at the visuals, there's a problem.

The ugly angular design is too sharp, and the start and select buttons are hideous.

So I'm fully 'meh' on it.

You can fit an SP in your mouth anyway.. How small does it have to be?

Who's the guy that mods DS Lites so that they're GBA-only, by removing the top screen? I feel like I need to add one of these to my collection.

I must be the only guy who isn't in love with the micro. It doesn't exceed gimmick, for me.

If the resolution was identical, then we'd be in business, but when you can barely read the text in RPGs because the resolution hacks away at the visuals, there's a problem.

The ugly angular design is too sharp, and the start and select buttons are hideous.

The Micro has the same 240 x 160 resolution as the other GBs?

I do think the screen is a bit too small now, only because I can actually feel the eyestrain from focusing on it too long. I love it otherwise.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
eBay, what else is there
cool realistic choice but only if you don't have gigantic hands that would crush it = GB Micro
I'll agree with this list. I love my GameBoy micro. But I would love to have a SP 101 just so I could also play my original and GBC games. I'm still salty they dropped original support with the Micro and DS.

The Micro is the same resolution as the GBA.

Who's the guy that mods DS Lites so that they're GBA-only, by removing the top screen? I feel like I need to add one of these to my collection.
I'd be for this if he also modded it to remove the two buttons you can't use and moved the A and B to be actually usable without causing you hand cramps.

My dad surprised my brother and I launch day with one each. We were sharing a gameboy color and we come home from school to find two new consoles! One for each! And they came with a game we had played on our uncle's SNES! Was a very exciting day, and my most memorable portable. My brother still plays his, now with a backlight modded into it.

Grief.exe

In my experience, games look significantly better since the Micro retains the same resolution while increase the PPI.

My favorite handheld of all time. Tons of fantastic original games plus snes ports were great for a genesis guy like me.

Might be my favorite platform behind ps2

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
To be honest, if I could get a GameBoy micro sized device with a micro-computer in it that could emulate all classic systems and could also run something like Pico-8 (Of course it'd come with a detachable micro keyboard) and Löve2d I probably would in a heartbeat.

Of course the micro itself is smaller than the C.H.I.P. itself is. So maybe it'd have to be a little bigger. Then again, I know devices like that already exist. I just really like the micro's size.

MacTag

Banned
Such a great little system. Intelligent Systems, Nintendo R&D1, Game Freak and Treasure were all in top form here. And also home to the last great Compile game (RIP).

leroidys

I'd be for this if he also modded it to remove the two buttons you can't use and moved the A and B to be actually usable without causing you hand cramps.
I know what you mean about the A and B buttons. I wouldn't like two buttons removed though. I'd be happy for him to switch the buttons though, like put A where B is now and B in the place Y is, moving Y to where A is originally.

Anyone know if the guy runs a site?

The Micro has the same 240 x 160 resolution as the other GBs?

I do think the screen is a bit too small now, only because I can actually feel the eyestrain from focusing on it too long. I love it otherwise.

I'll agree with this list. I love my GameBoy micro. But I would love to have a SP 101 just so I could also play my original and GBC games. I'm still salty they dropped original support with the Micro and DS.

The Micro is the same resolution as the GBA.

In my experience, games look significantly better since the Micro retains the same resolution while increase the PPI.

Whaaaaat?

Hm. I thought I 'knew' this since that thing came out.
Maybe I've been too harsh on it... Maybe the game I was playing had shit text.

eBay, what else is there

I think I'll go with the classic GBA. I just can't really stand those laptop-design handhelds.

HotHamBoy

Whaaaaat?

Hm. I thought I 'knew' this since that thing came out.
Maybe I've been too harsh on it... Maybe the game I was playing had shit text.

It has a great screen in terms of clarity, it's too smal. I actually have no problem reading the text in a game like FF6, it's just too hard on my eyes after awhile. If I was a younger person I think it would be fine, but I'm 31...

The Micro has the best face buttons/d-pad. Out of any Nintendo handheld. They feel incredible. Only the shoulder buttons come up lacking, which is true of all Nintendo handhelds.

I think I'll go with the classic GBA. I just can't really stand those laptop-design handhelds.

You'll need to find a backlight mod and mod one or buy one pre-modded off a seller on ebay for like $100-150.

As for the unmodded GBA, you can find one used for $15-20 pretty easily. Gamestop is selling them for $45 online, lololol.

Now, you say you hate the clamshell design and that's fair, but try a DS Lite. You get a great screen and a more comfortable system with superior buttons over the SP (IMO), with the added benefit of being able to play DS games on a screen of their native resolution (they look much better that way).

You can get a DS Lite for about $25-40.

Try LetGo. Tons of people selling used game consoles, some practically giving them away. Also try Pawn Shops, they seem to be inundated with DS's and GBAs.

The Micro has the best face buttons/d-pad. Out of any Nintendo handheld. They feel incredible. Only the shoulder buttons come up lacking, which is true of all Nintendo handhelds.

I only really agree with this if you compare the handhelds that can play GBA games - otherwise I think the New 3DS D-Pad and face buttons are leagues ahead. I prefer clicky D-Pads though, but the face buttons are so well engineered. Going back to the Micro really does feel like going back a decade. The face buttons work, but they are unstable and wobbly, not crisp and precise.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I know what you mean about the A and B buttons. I wouldn't like two buttons removed though. I'd be happy for him to switch the buttons though, like put A where B is now and B in the place Y is, moving Y to where A is originally.

Anyone know if the guy runs a site?
If it's a DS specifically for playing GBA games then you wouldn't need those two buttons. So removing them would make sense. I forget, but assume, did the DS have an option to boot directly to the GBA cartridge? I think it did. So they'd just need to move the A and B to the proper place and cover up the DS cart slot. Maybe give it an all new sleeker case. I bet Ben Heck could do it well.

Alternatively he could make the two unused buttons be secondary L and R buttons. If that would be of any benefit at all. (Would be much better if Nintendo had just put 4 buttons in the first place. Especially since they were planning on making it a SNES port machine from the start. Then again they couldn't even put a damn control stick on the DS so I'm not really surprised.)

HotHamBoy

I only really agree with this if you compare the handhelds that can play GBA games - otherwise I think the New 3DS D-Pad and face buttons are leagues ahead. I prefer clicky D-Pads though, but the face buttons are so well engineered. Going back to the Micro really does feel like going back a decade. The face buttons work, but they are unstable and wobbly, not crisp and precise.

Naw man, they're chunky with a sort of al dente "firm but yielding" feel and a satisfying membrane throw.

And they're big!

I love my Micro. Its amazing, just wish I could get a new faceplate for it.

So I was totaally going to link you to the website where I got mine last year but I guess they stopped making them...

Fuck.

I went in ebay and the prices are insane.

The Micro I bought came in the original box with the two additional faceplates. The silver plate was a little scuffed and the other two, while pristine, were ugly. So I bought the NES replacement plate. I should have bought others...

lazygecko

I wish there were more palette ROM hacks for GBA titles with bad colors. So far I've only seen ones for Super Mario Advance and Breath of Fire 2, though those have the added benefit of having the original SNES versions as references.

Jashobeam

still have my og ds lite which has a gba slot on it, 1 of the screens is messed up but luckily the ds lets you switch which screen you want to play gba games on. Last time I looked at gba games on ebay the prices were insane so i've avoided collecting games for it.

BDGAME

I have one GBA SP back these years, but I never truly like it. The screen tearing is terrible and I never understand why they put only 2 front buttons. The Donkey Kong Country port is so poor and ugly that I never can't handle it.

The first portable that I really like is the Nintendo Dual Screen. That is the truly king of the portables.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
The bit Generations series is probably the most indie thing I've ever seen for a Nintendo system. I love my DS because it plays titles like that, along with the creative DS titles like Electroplankton. What happened to the experimental side of Nintendo?
WiiWare and DSWare's ArtStyle games were a continuation of that. I'm particularly fond of Cubello.

At the time GBA video was pretty cool for road trips. We had like 3 carts and my daughter would cycle through them. Neat feature.

WiiWare and DSWare's ArtStyle games were a continuation of that. I'm particularly fond of Cubello.

I bought six Bit Generations games this year (all except Orbient, which I have on WiiWare) and loved what I played and completed.

Dotstream > Digidrive > Soundvoyager = Coloris > Dialhex > 7/10 >>>> Boundish

jjasso21

I still have my old GBA SP which is a bit beat up. What system has the best screen so I can play my old GBA games. Or would a Flash Cart on a DS or 3DS be a better choice?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
3D in general looked sooooo much better on GBA than DS...I still don't understand that

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I like the Gba, but overall i think the DS was much better. The best games on the GBA seemed to be ports of games I could already play on other systems, while on the DS the best games were original. Just consider the Mario-games for the systems, ports on the GBA, original on the DS. I love how it got three F-Zero-games and two Metroid-games though, and there are a lot of underrated smaller scale games in more famous series like Medal of Honor which are pretty great on the system.

Hmm, I'm trying to round out my GBA collection on Wii U VC with one more game. I've got Advance Wars 1 & 2, Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem Sacred Stones, Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, Zelda: The Minish Cap, and Mega Man Battle Network 3. What's one more essential that I should pick up? I've already got the originals of the NES/SNES ports, and Golden Sun and FF Tactics Advance seem a bit too undercooked for me.

So, where does that leave me? Wario Land 4, perhaps? Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow? I really like Castlevania and I've heard AoS is great, but I already own Super IV, Rondo of Blood, SOTN, Dawn of Sorrow, Order of Ecclesia. Is AoS more of the same, or is it still that hotness? More of the same isn't necessarily bad because I love the games, but I want to have a good range in my overall library. :)

Top Bottom