• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The regular New 3DS's face buttons are so stable

Maybe a trivial thing to adore, but the buttons are probably the most used part of any gaming device, and this is something that's been at the back of my mind for a while. Then the reviews for the new MacBook Pros came out and I read this section in one of them:

the new MacBook Pro key switches do have a premium feel to them. I now can’t stop noticing how much the key caps on my old MacBook Pro jiggle around when I’m just resting my fingers on the keys. The new keys don’t do that.

The regular New 3DS's face buttons are like that, and when I first noticed it it was one of those fringe benefits that's hard to ignore thereafter. Basically, the A/B/X/Y buttons are so stable that it's impossible to make them wiggle or jiggle about on their surface. They don't move at all until they are pressed, and each press is uniform and makes a really tactile, audibly satisfying click.

Probably the nicest face buttons there are on a portable device. Is this because of the domes/switches underneath?

stability.gif

So stable.

Yeah, the buttons wobble on my N3DS XL. The build quality isn't as tight either, though I think overall it's not bad. N3DS feels more solidly constructed but is lacking the premium touches of the XL model.

Opa-Pa

Yeah, for real, I upgraded from a regular 3DS expecting just better OS performance and access to a couple exclusive games, which was enough for me, but I never expected the build quality to be so great. Not only are the buttons super stable but this may have the best Nintendo D-pad ever too! That click is so satisfying.

kunonabi

The N3DS is pretty much the pinnacle of Nintendo handheld design and these little touches are part of that. It's probably never going to be topped the way things are going.

The Boat

I always heard that the "give" they usually have between the buttons and the case is made on purpose for durability reasons. No idea if that's true or not.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
This was probably the best reason to upgrade from the first 3ds and xl. The buttons are a MASSIVE improvement. No longer are they creaky. Same thing applies to the dpad

They feel less resistant too.

batrush

the build quality of the regular n3ds as a whole is great. even the hinge feels great. it's easily the best of nintendo's post-gba handhelds.

Regular you mean "non-XL" new 3ds?

Aye. The buttons wobble a bit on my XL. They remain completely stable on the smaller model, which translates into a completely solid and uniform button press no matter where your thumb is.

Don't really think they are anything great. I much prefer the vita buttons to my new 3ds buttons.

I love the Vita buttons but the durability leaves a lot to be desired. The buttons on both my 1000 and 2000 model started creaking, and on my 2000 model I can actually see the chassis moving under my thumb when I press Square.

They also wobble a bit, so "objectively" they aren't as well engineered as they should be.

I always heard that the "give" they usually have between the buttons and the case is made on purpose for durability reasons. No idea if that's true or not.

Probably not - I remember Digital Foundry noting about how the buttons on the Wii U GamePad rattle in place when you even just move the unit.

Top Bottom