• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Reveals 3DS U.S. Launch Line Up (Pilotwings + Steel Diver!)

Nintendo Press Site said:
NINTENDO REVEALS LAUNCH-DAY LINEUP OF 18 NINTENDO 3DS GAMES

With More Than 30 Games Total Launching by Early June, There's Something for Everyone

REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 22, 2011 – On day one, new Nintendo 3DS™ owners will have plenty of video games to keep them busy. Nintendo and its third-party publishing partners have made sure that people who buy a system on March 27 will be able to choose from a variety of experiences that leverage the system's new features. A steady and diverse stream of games of all kinds will keep the fun going, with more than 30 Nintendo 3DS games total launching before the E3 Expo in early June.

"Seeing 3D visuals without the need for special glasses is just one aspect of Nintendo 3DS," said Nintendo of America President Reggie Fils-Aime. "The real test of any system is whether the games and applications draw you in and keep you engaged. Through the launch window and beyond, Nintendo 3DS delivers."

On March 27, new Nintendo 3DS owners will be able to choose from the following Nintendo-published games, each available at a suggested retail price of $39.99:

Pilotwings Resort™, an aerial adventure featuring airplanes, hang gliders and rocket belts. Players soar above tropical Wuhu Island in 3D as they complete missions or snap pictures.
Steel Diver™, a submarine game that involves strategy and combat. The 3D visuals give players the sensation that they are looking into a miniature aquarium as they control the sub's speed, depth and pitch, and fire torpedoes.
nintendogs™ + cats, a game that lets players interact with realistic puppies – and kittens – in a variety of fun ways. There are three versions of the software, each with different starting breeds: French bulldog, toy poodle and golden retriever. But in each version players can unlock and enjoy more than 20 different breeds.
Other Nintendo 3DS games in the works for 2011 from Nintendo include The Legend of Zelda™: Ocarina of Time™ 3D, Star Fox 64™ 3D, Kid Icarus™: Uprising and new installments in the Mario Kart™ series.

Third-party publishers also have a strong slate of games ready to go on March 27. These include:

Super Street Fighter® IV 3D Edition from CAPCOM
The Sims™ 3 from EA
Madden NFL Football from EA SPORTS
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D from Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc.
LEGO® Star Wars® III: The Clone Wars™ from LucasArts™
RIDGE RACER® 3D from NAMCO BANDAI Games America Inc.
Super Monkey Ball™ 3D from SEGA
BUST-A-MOVE UNIVERSE™ from Square-Enix, Inc.
SAMURAI WARRIORS®: Chronicles from TECMO KOEI AMERICA Corp.
Asphalt™ 3D from UBISOFT
Combat of Giants™: Dinosaurs 3D from UBISOFT
Rayman® 3D from UBISOFT
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Shadow Wars from UBISOFT
Nintendo 3DS also comes pre-loaded with a variety of fun games, applications and features, such as the Nintendo 3DS camera, which can be used to take photos in 2D and 3D as well as be used in other games and applications. For instance, the built-in Face Raiders™ game asks users to shoot at funny depictions of their own photographed faces, while the Mii Maker™ application lets gamers use the camera to take a picture of a person and have an automatic Mii™ character created. The system also comes with six AR Cards, which, when viewed through the outer cameras, bring to life fun and interesting animations and images. For example, when used with nintendogs + cats, users might see their puppies or kittens sitting on their coffee tables or in the palms of their hands. With Nintendo 3DS Sound, users can enjoy sound-manipulation tools or rock out with their Nintendo 3DS system while listening to their MP3 or AAC music files.

Nintendo 3DS is also able to play nearly every game in the massive Nintendo DS library, except those that require use of a secondary Game Boy™ Advance slot.

For more information about Nintendo 3DS, visit http://www.nintendo3ds.com.

About Nintendo: The worldwide pioneer in the creation of interactive entertainment, Nintendo Co., Ltd., of Kyoto, Japan, manufactures and markets hardware and software for its Wii™ home console and Nintendo DS™ family of portable systems. Since 1983, when it launched the Nintendo Entertainment System™, Nintendo has sold more than 3.5 billion video games and more than 577 million hardware units globally, including the current-generation Wii, Nintendo DS, Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™, as well as the Game Boy™, Game Boy Advance, Super NES™, Nintendo 64™ and Nintendo GameCube™ systems. It has also created industry icons that have become well-known, household names such as Mario™, Donkey Kong™, Metroid™, Zelda™ and Pokémon™. A wholly owned subsidiary, Nintendo of America Inc., based in Redmond, Wash., serves as headquarters for Nintendo's operations in the Western Hemisphere. For more information about Nintendo, please visit the company's website at http://www.nintendo.com.

Yippee!

Interesting - I thought they might go with Nintendogs + Cats and Steel Diver, but to have both Pilotwings and Steel Diver first is a surprise.

EDIT:

Whoops - didn't think Nintendogs was making launch, but it is. All three first day? US wins over both Japan and Europe ;-)

DOUBLE EDIT:

...and confirmation that the only games DS owners can't use on the 3DS are those that require the GBA slot, as expected.

wwm0nkey

Well with DoA now hitting May 17th.

Street Fighter
Rayman
Pilot Wings
might get that Lego game since those things kill time pretty nicely.

GDGF

Soothsayer
SSF4 and Steel Diver for me. If Pro Evo would have had online multiplayer I would grab it too. Guess I have to wait until the next version for that.

Hobbun

AceBandage said:
Are you counting Nintendogs as one or three games?

Ah, that's it. So they are selling that as 3 games?

Edit: Silly me, it says right afterwards they are selling it as three software titles. Sorry, never bought the Nintendogs series before.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
bryehn said:
That's pretty rough, hope they make with the 3DSWare quickly.
It's rough but how is Pilotwings? Some seem excited. Is it because the game is good or because of nostalgia? I want to see gameplay if there's any around. I have NOTHING pre-ordered anymore after cancelling RR.

Actually, if they can get Lego Star Wars III to perform like the consoles in terms of gameplay, that would be very compelling. That game looks really fun with all the additions to the gameplay that have been added.

Mdk7

Players soar above tropical Wuhu Island in 3D as they complete missions or snap pictures.
So this pretty much confirms there's only Wuhu Island available...
Which would frankly be kinda miserable. :(

Grakl

Steel Diver is probably the game I'm looking forward to most, but the impressions don't ever seem consistent. Can't wait for OOT (never was able to play it) and Mario Kart later in the year, though.

suikodan

No DOA at launch? I'm disappointed.

However, SSF4 and Pilotwings will also be must-buys for me. The rest of the lineup is average.

Empty

europe screwed on steel diver at launch. well that's not too bad as we could just im.., oh damn. curse you nintendo.

LiquidMetal14 said:
It's rough but how is Pilotwings? Some seem excited. Is it because the game is good or because of nostalgia? I want to see gameplay if there's any around. I have NOTHING pre-ordered anymore after cancelling RR.

Actually, if they can get Lego Star Wars III to perform like the consoles in terms of gameplay, that would be very compelling. That game looks really fun with all the additions to the gameplay that have been added.

I really enjoyed what I played of the new Pilot Wings, and if they can make some interesting challenges, it could be one of the stand out 3DS launch titles.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I'll definitely be getting the three first party titles. That will probably be it for me, aside from SSFIV the 3rd party stuff is dire as usual.

LiquidMetal14 said:

Gameplay of Pilot Wings and Lego Star Wars.

Both seem excellent, actually.

Neo Samus

I just realized that DOA is not on the list. Oh well, I'll be renting SSFIV anyway so that'll keep me occupied for a while. I can't wait till this comes out now. It has been a while since I've been this hyped for a game of system. Feels good man.gif

HOLY SHIT, STEEL DIVER AT LAUNCH?!

YES!!!! So much for those saying that the day 1 lineup was crap!

That's 4 games at launch day for me then! (SSF4, Steel Diver, Pilotwings and Nintendogs + Cats), add on the AR games and that's one hell of a day 1 lineup!

Add on Pokemon B&W and Okamiden onto that (and hopefully Inazuma Eleven if I can find it) and I'm gonna be playing the hell out of that 3DS! :D

As for the Mario Kart installments bit, I'm certain that's a typo.

This also confirms that the standard price of games is $39.99.

Now for fuck sake, HURRY UP AND PUT THE 3DS PREORDERS UP ALREADY VGPLUS!!!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Shame Pilotwings looks so boring this time around.

So weak.... I guess SFIV for online play and Steel Diver for me.

Hobbun

What I plan on getting definitely is Pilotwings. But I Steel Diver is a strong possibilty and may give Nintendogs & Cats a shot. Not sure on that last one yet, though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
AceBandage said:
Gameplay of Pilot Wings and Lego Star Wars.

Both seem excellent, actually.
I agree that both look fun. BUT what is up with Pilotwings, it looks like they took the Wii Sports Resort flying game and just ported it over with enhancements. I will definitely look into these two as they look fun, thanks for the links.

Kenka

Pureauthor said:
If I do get one at launch, it'll be for Samurai Warriors and SSFIV.

From what I saw, Lego Star Wars trumps everyone on that list. It looks fantastic. I tried it last week and I must say I was most impressed. For me, the best game on Day 1.

I don't get why people go havok on Steel Diver. It is a very interesting experience gameplay-wise (you do batshit insane things with the 3DS while moving around with it) and the submarine simulation is well executed in both periscope and adventure mode but... it lacks pace and is nothing exceptional compared to other top-tier offerings on Day 1.

It feels most "3DSian" though. 3D feels great on it and its implemntation is way better than on Kid Icarus to give an example. But SSFIV: 3D Edition and especially Lego Star Wars take the crown of most exciting launche games hands down.

The Press Site has new images and fact sheets for both Steel Diver and Pilotwings Resort updated too.

Steel Diver is a new action-packed submarine combat game from Nintendo that immerses players in the 3D action with unique game controls and lush 3D environments. The player can choose from three different submarines, each with touch-screen control panels that players will have to master to guide them through treacherous undersea caverns while engaging enemy submarines, dodging depth charges and battling massive sea creatures. Steel Diver also takes advantage of the built-in gyroscope of the Nintendo 3DS system. The combination of 3D game play and one-of-a-kind controls makes for an immersive combination that must be experienced to be believed.

FEATURES:

Use touch-screen controls to guide submarines through lush, undersea 3D environments.

Branching paths, split-second decisions and attacks from enemy ships make for a thrilling undersea adventure.

Multiple ways to play
Missions: Players manipulate control panels on the touch screen to control the sub’s speed, depth and pitch, and to fire torpedoes as they make their way toward the end of each level. If the sub takes damage and starts taking on water, players can use the stylus on the touch screen to stop the leak. There is also a time attack mode that challenges the player to get through levels as quickly as possible.

Periscope Strike: The gyroscope for the Nintendo 3DS system allows players to control the periscope view by rotating their bodies. Players use the touch screen to fire a well-placed torpedo and take enemies out.

Steel Commander: In this two-player strategy mode, a local wireless connection pits player against player. The game is a top-down, turn-based “chess-like” game that puts players in command of a fleet of ships and a sub. Once players locate a ship, they enter Periscope Mode and blast it out of the water.

Immersive undersea graphics
The 3D in Steel Diver makes players feel like they are peering into an aquarium, with the action unfolding right before their eyes.

Pilotwings Resort puts the player in the pilot’s seat as never before in this long-awaited three-dimensional update to the Pilotwings™ series! Import your Mii™ characters from the Nintendo 3DS Mii Maker™ and explore Wuhu Island (the star of Wii Sports Resort™ and Wii Fit™ Plus) by plane, by hang glider and by rocket belt. Each vehicle type features unique controls that offer a different challenge. Complete around 40 challenging flight missions in Mission Mode to earn stars, or scour Wuhu Island for hundreds of collectible Extras in Free Flight Mode as you unlock interactive 3D Dioramas of various aircraft and famous island monuments. Get a bird’s-eye view of familiar Wuhu Island sites – and a few new ones! You can even share your experiences with friends and family members by taking in-game photos and saving them to the Nintendo 3DS photo album. Pilotwings Resort is an aerial sports game gem that offers amazing 3D views of Wuhu Island.

FEATURES:

Soar through the skies in this classic Nintendo franchise
Soar through the skies over the tropical Wuhu Island in a hang glider, rocket belt or plane each with its own unique controls, distinct feel of flight and new game play

Hours of high-flying fun
Mission Mode and Free Flight Mode offer a wealth of activities, challenges and game play for gamers of all tastes. Leisurely soar around Wuhu Island and explore and catalogue points of interest, or fly competitively in missions that are based on time and points.

Take control of an amazing 3D flying experience with your Mii characters
Pilotwings Resort pulls your personal Mii character from the Mii Maker application, and features the Mii as the star of this adventure.

Pilotwings Resort features a breadth and depth of field that can only be achieved with the 3D effects of Nintendo 3DS, offering a feel and style of play never before seen in an aerial sports game.

Share the fun with family and friends
You can snap photos of postcard-perfect locales on Wuhu Island with the hang glider in Free Flight Mode and as part of select challenges in Mission Flight Mode.

Photos of your aerial adventures on Wuhu Island may be saved to the Nintendo 3DS photo album and shared with your friends and family.

wwm0nkey

Hobbun said:
So is the Lego Star Wars game based off the animated movie that came out a couple years ago? I want to get it, but would hate to see it as part of a package deal later on with other Lego Star Wars titles.
No its based on episodes 1-6

Chorazin

Sweet, looks like all the games I want are launch day games. Looking forward to the nice big package from Amazon on 03/29/11!

Top Bottom