• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokemon White/Black sell 1.08 million on day 1. New Pokemon record

Meier

On my phone but I just got an email about it a few minutes ago. I'm sure someone will provide the full text shortly. Previous record was 780k for Diamond and Pearl.

Edit: Fixed D/P total, thought it read 700k.

Kifimbo

PR:

NEW POKÉMON VIDEO GAMES SHATTER U.S. SALES RECORDS

Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version Combine to Sell More Than 1 Million in a Single Day

REDMOND, Wash., March 8, 2011 – Two new Pokémon™ video games went on sale on March 6 and promptly shattered all previous U.S. Pokémon sales records. The Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version games for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems became the fastest-selling Pokémon video games of all time, selling more than 1.08 million units after just one day of availability. That surpasses the previous one-day sales record of more than 780,000 set by the Pokémon Diamond Version and Pokémon Pearl Version games in April 2007.

"Longtime Pokémon fans are attracted to the new Pokémon, new battle systems and a new region to explore, while newcomers enjoy the ability to jump in and have fun right away," said Charlie Scibetta, Nintendo of America's senior director of Corporate Communications. "These sales numbers illustrate the continued strength of the Nintendo DS family of systems. Already established as the nation's best-selling video game platform of all time, the installed base of more than 47 million makes it the ideal hand-held for developers to reach a huge gaming-focused target audience."

Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version feature more than 150 new Pokémon for players to catch, train and battle. The never-before-seen Unova region gives players a whole new world to explore. For the first time in the series, in-game environments change with the four seasons. The games also introduce Triple Battles and Rotation Battles, which give players even more choices when battling.

For more information about Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, visit http://www.pokemonblackwhite.com.

Good for Nintendo, should be interesting to see how the biggest DS release of the year effects the launch of the 3DS since it's backwards compatible.

EmCeeGramr said:
but pokemon is a dying fad that needs to become a 3d console mmo action game to bring in 20 and 30-somethings

20 and 30-somethings already have CoD releases for their annual rehashed semi-RPG fix.
I'm only half joking.

These sales numbers illustrate the continued strength of the Nintendo DS family of systems. Already established as the nation's best-selling video game platform of all time, the installed base of more than 47 million makes it the ideal hand-held for developers to reach a huge gaming-focused target audience."

I wonder how many are just long time buyers of Pokemon and how many are just "new." I think Amazon suggest White is selling better than Black version, though I was wondering why they still do nothing to ensure both sell equally...

Forkball

Adding in Japan and the UK, I think Black and White has already sold about 7 million copies. It looks like it might even top Diamond and Pearl when it comes to lifetime sales.

Kusagari

Dedication Through Light said:

I wonder how many are just long time buyers of Pokemon and how many are just "new." I think Amazon suggest White is selling better than Black version, though I was wondering why they still do nothing to ensure both sell equally...

There's always one legendary that looks far cooler than the other and the version with him on it sells more. Red/Blue was the only time where the split was even.

jman2050

It's too bad Nintendo's handheld business is swiftly dying in abrupt fashion, I was looking forward to seeing what Gen 6 brings us.

Matt

I'm not surprised, I have never seen a GameStop as packed (except for special events) as I did when I picked up my copy on Sunday. Mostly kids, but still.

Also purely anecdotally, White seems to be selling far better then Black.

jman2050 said:
It's too bad Nintendo's handheld business is swiftly dying in abrupt fashion, I was looking forward to seeing what Gen 6 brings us.

AAXwk.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Whoops, wrong Pokemon Topic!

Eh, none the less, still pissed Global Link isn't up till the end of the Month.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
The_Technomancer said:
And this is why Nintendo doesn't have to worry. They still control two of the three guaranteed licenses to print money.

Mario and.. Final Fantasy?

apana

Pokemon was the original system seller for me. I'll never be as excited for a game as I was for Pokemon Yellow. I stopped playing after Gold.

Forkball

For those interested, here is a summary of the sales for the main line of games (from Wikipedia so it is 110% reliable):

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green: 23.6 Million (Blue outsells Red)
Pokemon Yellow: 8.86 Million
Pokemon Gold/Silver: 15.2 Million (Silver outsells Gold)
Pokemon Crystal: 3.5 Million
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire: 13 Million
Pokemon Emerald: 6.32 Million
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen: 11.82 Million
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 17.39 Million
Pokemon Platinum: 7.06 Million
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver: 11.72 Million

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Gravijah said:
Pokemon is bigger than Final Fantasy by a significant margin.

I meant what are the other two! I havent followed videogame sales properly for a few years now :(

Baywatch

Neo Member
I want to play a hybridized game that combines Demon Souls with Pokemon. Don't ask for detail, I just want it.

so thats 1.08 million sales of a 35 dollar game. How many sales of angry birds was there?
Handheld gaming is far from fracturing closer to iphones and ipads.

Clearly Pokemon, like the Wii, is just a fad.

That being said, I'm tempted to pick it up, but I never finished Silver and I'm sure Black or White would suffer the same fate.

Huff

Banned
Totally not surprised. But is it fresh and new enough to keep someone that has played every gen interested in it for more than a couple hours?

Meier

Krauser Kat said:
so thats 1.08 million sales of a 35 dollar game. How many sales of angry birds was there?
Handheld gaming is far from fracturing closer to iphones and ipads.
50 million downloads (supposedly) although I think the iOS number is around 8-10. Many have been from the free/ad-supported version on Android.

damn. They are going to keep the next Pokemon game in their pocket like a trump and if 3ds sales are ever lower than they want, BAM, insta-sell

Forkball said:
For those interested, here is a summary of the sales for the main line of games (from Wikipedia so it is 110% reliable):

Pokemon Red/Blue/Green: 23.6 Million (Blue outsells Red)
Pokemon Yellow: 8.86 Million
Pokemon Gold/Silver: 15.2 Million (Silver outsells Gold)
Pokemon Crystal: 3.5 Million
Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire: 13 Million
Pokemon Emerald: 6.32 Million
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen: 11.82 Million
Pokemon Diamond/Pearl: 17.39 Million
Pokemon Platinum: 7.06 Million
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver: 11.72 Million

Pokemon has been on decline or something, I guess Ive been under the wrong impression that each one sells better than the previous...

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
BroHuffman said:
Totally not surprised. But is it fresh and new enough to keep someone that has played every gen interested in it for more than a couple hours?
If you have played every gen game, I don't see why you shouldn't play this games... I mean, you did find every other gen game fresh and new enough to play them...

perfectnight said:
Not dying by any means but it's certainly old and stale.

Kids below the age of 13 do not know this and don't care.

and yeah, i know gaming forums have their share of 20-somethings that love Pokemon, but I brought my niece and nephew to pick up their copies on Sunday and it was all kids. They're just gonna keep buying that shit forever.

Turok_TTZ

jman2050 said:

...Huh? Care to elaborate as to how nintendo's handheld business is swiftly dying?

Impressed by pokemon sales, NoA must be having a party @ HQ.

Pokemon has been on decline or something, I guess Ive been under the wrong impression that each one sells better than the previous...

It was on decline ever since Red/Blue. Once Ruby/Sapphire had come out, Pokemania was dead, and the franchise had settled down to being a dependable cash cow. The DS games kinda kickstarted the franchise's mad mad popularity though.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Incredible series gets another incredible iteration. Black & White may just be the best since GSC. So much good NEW stuff with the same ageless formula.

Gravijah

Nothing will ever top RBY, that thing was fucking massive, but how the hell do you get "decline" from that sales data?

Top Bottom