• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World (MMO) - GDC info, trailer, and media blowout

derFeef

The Secret world was shown to the press last week and the embargo lifted today.

First of all there is this kickass Video which shows locations, monsters, fighting and explains what it does different compared to other MMOs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oyzqppdstyg

Some new screenies, more on the new website.
362ba231.png
d0e25f9c.png

0b308bd2.png
e66e3d23.png

Ten Ton Hammer Preview said:
Ragnar summarized his goals in describing the “four pillars” of The Secret World:

A true MMORPG experience – “This is an MMO story in every sense of the word.” Though soloing is viable, the game’s story will be primarily told through gameplay and world events.

Freeform character progression – Templates – equivalent to a TCG starter deck or the “auto level up” in an RPG, will be available, but players can mix and match their magic, ranged, and melee skills with absolute freedom, should they wish to.

The Secret War – Faction battles will heat up in predetermined settings and rulesets as determined by the fictional Council of Venice, but indirect PvP – society tasks, including diplomatic maneuvers, espionage, backstabbing, and sabotage – will be an ongoing thing.

A modern day setting where everything is true – Seoul, London, New York, Transylvania, the Himalayas… every setting in-game roughly mirrors its modern day counterpart, and the mythos and conspiracy theory used in the game are culled from real-world history.

Looks like the game is in end of alpha testing and beta test supposed to begin in the next two months.

Previews:
Massivley
Ten Ton Hammer (the whole presentation)
MMORPG.com
Rockpapershotgun

New website: http://www.thesecretworld.com/

Gametrailers has some videos up with the Funcom guys presenting the game:
Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6

Feep

Banned
TheRagnCajun said:
Dumb name.
You're so cool.

Anyway, I'm excited about this, because Ragnar knows what the FUCK is up. I will say that they should probably have considered the fact that their creative team has no camera presence, but hey, still looks great.

Morn

Banned
It's Funcom. It'll launch horribly broken and unplayable and then take three years to get good.

Apparently certain areas of this game are inspired by Lovecraft:

47GBG.jpg

I think there's an area called Kingsmouth or something similar, as well. Hope this turns out well.

derFeef

Mr. Snrub said:
Apparently certain areas of this game are inspired by Lovecraft:

http://i.imgur.com/47GBG.jpg

I think there's an area called Kingsmouth or something similar, as well. Hope this turns out well.

The whole game is inspired by Lovecraft, thats why I am very excited about this. "Every myth, legend and monster comes to life". That giant dinosaur thing at the near end of the video... woah.

Vinci

Danish
derFeef said:
The whole game is inspired by Lovecraft, thats why I am very excited about this. "Every myth, legend and monster comes to life". That giant dinosaur thing at the near end of the video... woah.

My problem with it, actually, is that it doesn't appear as Lovecraftian as I would have liked.

derFeef

Vinci said:
My problem with it, actually, is that it doesn't appear as Lovecraftian as I would have liked.
You are probably right. You can not make an action focused MMO in the lovecraftian mood (sadly). But this is still good enough for me :)

Man

EDIT: Ah, beaten while writing. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=424040

Please lock.

------------------------------------------------

Really liking the look of this game.
Pretty much every major horror theme blended together to create a MMO world that's set in present day Earth.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/10/gdc-2011-funcom-talks-the-secret-worlds-pve-pvp-and-arg/

Choose one of three sides : Templars, Dragons, Illuminati
Build your MMO character from 500 different skills (shotguns to karate to magic)
PVE, PVP and Quests that takes use of ARGs (you will have to open a browser and search for clues on the web etc).
Tornquist writing.

Secret World GDC Trailer on YT

They are going to start slowly rolling out the Beta in two months so I'm guessing this is a Fall/Xmas release.
http://www.thesecretworld.com

(love this image)
TSW_GDC_2011_8-1063x600.png

TSW_GDC_2011_12-1067x600.png

TSW_GDC_2011_14-1063x600.png

tsw_screen_3-960x600.jpg

tsw_6-966x600.png

Mithos

The first ever trailer for this game was so awesome.

The girl walking in to her apartment, opened the fridge, bla blah and turns around, staring into the eyes of a monster clinging to the ceiling. AWESOME.

And then I hear its an MMO, lost interest then and there. =(

derFeef said:

OH SHIT, really? Haven't watched the vid, but is there any more info on the Lovecraft influence?

The fact that this is an MMO is just a tragedy. The concept is absolutely amazing and I would love to see it as a single player survival-horror game.

Mr_eX

I can't watch the video until I get home from work. Does this have typical MMO gameplay or can you play it like a shooter(I see guns in the screens)?

The hyperbole contrasts quite heavily with the relatively mundane shit on display in the video.

'It's simply true freedom of progression'.

Give me a break man.

Morn

Banned
Fallout-NL said:
The hyperbole contrasts quite heavily with the relatively mundane shit on display in the video.

'It's simply true freedom of progression'.

Give me a break man.

Yea, it's just like the Guild Wars 2 trailer.

Vinci

Danish
derFeef said:
You are probably right. You can not make an action focused MMO in the lovecraftian mood (sadly). But this is still good enough for me :)

I don't know. I'm seeing robot-looking stuff, and it just... it just feels like any other MMO universe to me, even though it takes place in the real world. Some of those locations look like something I'd see in a fancier City of Heroes or something.

I guess it's just not as provocative as I thought it would be.

derFeef

The GDC presentation is quite interesting (currently watching).
Your skills are like two card decks (offensive, and defensive). There are predefined decks for classes, but you can make your own deck as well. Swapping out card decks on the fly sounds amazing to me.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Morn said:
It's Funcom. It'll launch horribly broken and unplayable and then take three years to get good.

you sure you not talking about final fantasy?

This game does look interesting though.

I really dig the art direction. Not a big fan of MMOs, though. The only one I've ever been interested in is EVE, and I've been playing that for a month now. It's more than enough for me as far as MMOs go.

Agkel

Fuck this!
After playing AoC for a little over 2 years(I got sucked in by 1 year deals) I will not ever buy or play another Funcom game. This same horseshit of "no leveling, you choose your skills, level sideways and interesting factions" was hyped for the AoC expansion and it turned out to be the biggest grind I have ever seen. It literally killed the game and they are barely reacting to it now 1 year later and countless of subs less.

Vinci

Danish
Agkel said:
Fuck this!
After playing AoC for a little over 2 years(I got sucked in by 1 year deals) I will not ever buy or play another Funcom game. This same horseshit of "no leveling, you choose your skills, level sideways and interesting factions" was hyped for the AoC expansion and it turned out to be the biggest grind I have ever seen. It literally killed the game and they are barely reacting to it now 1 year later and countless of subs less.

It might be good to note that this is a different team entirely.

derFeef

Agkel said:
Fuck this!
I agree on the expansion, but AoC is still my favourite MMO - I play it like the Gothic games even. And oh, TSW is made by an entire different team. Also - Ragnar.

cackhyena

Art direction is so good. First shame is that it's an mmo. I could get over that with enough compelling features, though. Second shame and ultimate deathblow for me is the dumb leveling system...or lack thereof. Too bad.

Zen

Banned
derFeef said:
The GDC presentation is quite interesting (currently watching).
Your skills are like two card decks (offensive, and defensive). There are predefined decks for classes, but you can make your own deck as well. Swapping out card decks on the fly sounds amazing to me.

I have been unable to find it, hopefully I'm not dumb? Can you link it in this thread?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Mr. Snrub said:
For the people saying, "interested until MMO"--what is unappealing about MMO's?

It's online. I never play any games online. Just doesn't interest me at all, as I play single player offline games only.

Mithos

Mr. Snrub said:

1. Monthly fees.
2. Grinding for exp/level/gear or to be able to spec.
3. PvP when you're not up to it at the moment.

derFeef

Green Scar said:
RPS Preview. The writer's enthusiasm is contagious. The mere idea of a modern world MMO is enough to get me intrigued, to be honest.
Thanks, added to op.

Not that this stuff is even essential to progress within the game world, either. These quests that require you to do a bit of research and to stretch your imagination beyond the build of your character are simply there for extra colour. You can get along just fine following your own character’s personal story and slaying monsters, if that’s what you want. However, in my mind, the fact that an MMO is even able to countenance these kinds of structures of play and investigation, blurring the line between the game world and the real world, excites the hell out of me. The Secret World might not have the biggest budget or the most compelling art, it might not really shatter the fossilised MMO way of doing things, but it’s working hard on being interesting. And it might just be the most interesting MMO project out there.

Truant

Age of Conan is great if you love exploration and scenery. I loved just walking around the world, taking in the music and the atmosphere.

Jenga

Banned
wait

wait

wait the fuck up

I can be a ghetto 90's teenager fighting lovecraft monsters?

sign me the fuck up

Agkel

I feel you guys. Deep down I could see myself playing the game, I like the lore, I still believe AoC is the best combat system among current MMOs(even after they have butchered it to hell and back), the graphics look appealing and Ragnar...

but as someone mentioned before FC track record is horrible and we've seen management decisions that are baffling, that affects their games regardless of what dev team is on it. Who knows, perhaps the game is a huge success and we'll all enjoy it for years to come but I'm keeping my hopes and expectations very low.

On the plus side, I did get an assured spot as TSW beta tester in one of those AoC year deals, so I will get a chance to try it without having to spend money on it.

Combichristoffersen said:
It's online. I never play any games online. Just doesn't interest me at all, as I play single player offline games only.

Not sure about this one, but most MMO's have a PvE where it's basically a co-op SP experience. I played Age of Conan, having never played an MMO before, and really enjoyed the PvE game.

Mithos said:
1. Monthly fees.
2. Grinding for exp/level/gear or to be able to spec.
3. PvP when you're not up to it at the moment.

Ah yeah, monthly fees...forgot about that. For PvP, can usually pick whether or not you want to play on a PvP server.

But grinding...most MMO's try to keep grinding to a minimum, but it always happens to an extent. I think every RPG has a bit of grind to it, though.

UrbanRats

Mr. Snrub said:
I've played a lot of Star Wars Galaxies, back in the days (Around 2004/2005).
I'm through with mmos, for the following reasons:

• don't like to play online, it prevent me from total immersion.
• fees.
• generally very repetitive game design and gameplay, made to last months of play time.

I would have enjoyed the shit out of Age of Conan otherwise.
I should add: i'm not a great RPG/jrpg type in the first place.

Top Bottom