• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Recommend me some NES games yeah?

thebeeks

Banned
c79Fa.jpg

On the off chance you're looking for a game that hates you.

Gaspode_T

Just some games that stand the test of time, off the top of my head:

River City Ransom

Super Dodgeball

Conquest of the Crystal Palace

Duck Tales

Solstice

Actually, if I could ask anyone to play 5 NES games that might be the list I pick...

Also, check out this page to catch up on history: http://www.atarihq.com/tsr/

De-recommend crappy port of MSX Metal Gear (just kidding LOL)

Ninja Gaiden 1, 2
Super Mario 1, 2, 3
Zelda 1, 2
Double Dragon 2
Bad Dudes
Mega man 2, 3
Excitebike
Contra
Bionic Commando
Tecmo Bowl
TMNT 1, 2
Punch Out

-KRS-

Solid recommendations in this thread. I have nothing to add really, except of course to stress the fact that Sunsoft's games are really great :D

Journey to Silius has already been mentioned. The Batman games are good as well. Then we have Blaster Master, another Sunsoft classic.

If you have a PAL NES unit you can try to find Ufouria: The Saga and if you can afford it, Mr. Gimmick. Both are excellent games, but if you don't have a PAL unit the music will sound weird and that's a real shame because the music rocks.

Other than Sunsoft games, we have River City Ransom which is an excellent brawler/rpg of sorts. Called "Street Gangs" in Europe.

Another excellent PAL only game (well it came out in Japan too but yeah) is Hammerin' Harry. It's also a little expensive, and really short, but it's really fun and it's one of those games you can take off of the shelf pretty much any time and have fun with it.

I also have to mention Rush 'n' Attack. It's a bit old fashioned and simple, but it's still a Konami classic.

Cheerilee

I have an old fondness for Formula One: Built to Win.

It's a forward-racing game like Rad Racer but it's a career-mode game with dozens of different races with increasing difficulty and prize money, and you can use the money to increase your car's abilities in acceleration, speed, tire grip, and weight (you can be wiped out with a feather touch or crush your opponents like they were nothing). You can climb in cars too, from a Mini Cooper to a Vector W2 to a Ferrari F40 before finally moving up to an F1 racer.

As I recall, I was never able to beat the F1 levels. You can max out your F1, but that's not an advantage in the F1 levels, it's a requirement. To win you'd need to be consistently good for an extended period of time.

I found the bulk of the game to be a lot of fun though, even if I could never beat that last level.

Asparagus

Just about anything from Sunsoft, especially Journey to Silius. Faxanadu, Shadowgate, Kickle Cubicle, Boulder Dash and Rescus: The Embassey Mission are fantastic as well. Capcom Disney platformers are also great.

PokéKong said:
Rescue: The Embassy Mission
RescueTheEmbassyMission.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i93e_DcCQc

This game was a pioneer of realistic stealth genre long before it was popular. You work through missions in three very different modes of gameplay: first moving your snipers into position in a side scrolling portion with moving searchlights you have to flip and dodge and sidle behind ledges to hide from. Then in a very Silent Scope-esque shooting mode, you have to pick off all of the terrorists in the windows of the building. After that you infiltrate the building in a crude first person shooter mode, almost more of a very fast paced adventure game, shooting up terrorists and picking up hostages, you can only face four directions and the blinking screen transitions are quite rough but it still gets pretty intense.
Yes!

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Clash at Demonhead
Galaxy 5000
Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom
Tengens Ms. Pac-Man (still the best Pac-Man to date)
Crystalis

Ghosts and Goblins - one of the hardest NES games.
Ikari Warrios I, II, III.
Street Fighter II Asian bootleg.
Kart Fighter Asian bootleg.
Somari Asian bootleg.

Lanbeast

Do yourself a huge favor:

200px-Crash_N_the_Boys_Street_Challenge_NES_box_art.jpg

Also wanted to second StarTropics and StarTropics II: Zoda's Revenge. Both are excellent.

Edit: And Crystalis.

The NES version of Sid Meier's Pirates! is EXCELLENT. Developed by Rare and published by Konami/Ultra.

You absolutely need the map that comes with it, though, or a facsimile, because there's none in-game.

Oh man, NES Pirates!

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
if your interested in shadowgate go for deja vu and the uninvited as well same type of game but both of those are better then shadowgate imo

thomaser

Not the best game by any means, but Konami's Rollergames is a very overlooked gem. A kind of Double Dragon/Turtles IV-like brawler, but on rollerskates. Very challenging, and with great music. I remember spending hours and hours one day playing through it with my brother. We finally managed to beat the final boss on the last life of the last continue. Intense!

Tain said:
Street Fighter 2010.

I'm dead serious.
I suck at that game.

OP, if you want a sports game, go for Tecmo Super Bowl. You would not believe how popular that game is with friends that visit my house, even today.

Talamius

No Guardian Legend on the first page? For shame, GAF.

Blaster Master and Batman: Return of the Joker just to see what Sunsoft managed to squeeze out of the NES.

Luigison

TETRIS on NES is awesome because it doesn't have the game breaking infinite spin.

Ducktales is also awesome. I wish Capcom, Disney, and Nintendo would get together a re-release it. If you enjoy try to find Ducktales 2 as well.

Shadowgate was awesome at the time and based on it's point and click adventure gameplay it should stand up pretty well today.

Bubble Bobble and Adventures of Lolo are great puzzle adventure games. If you like them try the new Bubble Bobble or Lolo 2.

I remember my bros. and I playing a lot of Tiger Heli, but don't recall much about it.

I also played a lot of Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior back in the day, but I'm not sure how well those hold up.

As others have mentioned, the Mario and MegaMan games are all very good.

Asparagus

thomaser said:
Not the best game by any means, but Konami's Rollergames is a very overlooked gem. A kind of Double Dragon/Turtles IV-like brawler, but on rollerskates. Very challenging, and with great music. I remember spending hours and hours one day playing through it with my brother. We finally managed to beat the final boss on the last life of the last continue. Intense!
It's hard because it has janky controls :p I'm quite fond of it as well though, played it all the time as a kid :)

Luigison said:
Shadowgate was awesome at the time and based on it's point and click adventure gameplay it should stand up pretty well today.
Shadowgate's great, it's so unfair yet so atmospheric, great graphics and music.

AwShucks

I'll also put my vote down for Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 (and I guess 3 if you really really want to play more of them) as well as Wizards and Warriors 1 and 2 (3 takes a bit of a different approach, but it's still good).

I'll also throw Legend of Kage, Bad Dudes, and Blaster Master

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Alphabetically:

• Arkista's Ring
  • Batman
  • Batman Return of the Joker
  • Battle of Olympus
    a_med_battleofolympus_helpful.png
  • Bionic Commando
  • Blaster Master
  • Castlevania
  • Castlevania II Belmont's Quest
  • Castlevania III Dracula's Curse
  • Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - Capcom's Disney games are top notch.
  • Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2
  • Clash at Demonhead
  • Conquest of Crystal Palace
  • Contra
  • Crystalis
  • Darkwing Duck
  • Deja Vu - Like Shadowgate
    Deja_Vu_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg
  • Destiny of an Emperor - Romance of the 3 kingdoms inspired rpg
    changsha.JPG
    Destiny_of_an_Emperor_NES_ScreenShot3.gif
    Destiny%20of%20an%20Emperor-2.png
  • Duck Tales
  • Duck Tales 2
  • Faxanadu
  • Final Fantasy
  • Fire n Ice
  • Guardian Legend - Shmup
  • Gargoyle's Quest II - Excellent platformer
    Gargoyles_Quest_2_NES_ScreenShot2.jpg
  • Gremlins 2
  • Isolated Warrior
  • Journey to Silius - Awesome soundtrack, game itself is average though. Listen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkWYvENgxwA
  • Kickle Cubicle - Fun puzzle game!
    Kickle+Cubicle+%28USA%29_023.png
  • Kirby's Adventure
  • Krion Conquest - Shameless Mega Man rip-off!
  • Legacy of Wizard
    74681-legacy-of-the-wizard-nes-screenshot-far-away-you-see-a-castle.png
  • Life Force Salamander
  • Little Nemo Dream Master
  • Adventures of Lolo - Puzzle goodness
  • Adventures of Lolo 2
  • Adventures of Lolo 3
  • Low G Man
  • Magic of Scheherazade
    MagicOfScheherazade.png
  • Magician - Great music, unique-looking action RPG, doesn't play very well though.
    Magician.gif
  • Maniac Mansion - Not the best version of this game, but still fun.
  • Mega Man
  • Mega Man 2
  • Mega Man 3
  • Mega Man 4
  • Mega Man 5
  • Mega Man 6
  • Mendel Palace - Good co-op fun
  • Metal Gear - Classic
  • Metroid
  • Nightshade - Interesting adventure game
    Nightshade%20%282%29.gif
  • Ninja Gaiden (Shadow Warrior)
  • Ninja Gaiden II
  • Ninja Gaiden III
  • Parodius
  • Pinball Quest
  • Power Blade
  • Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom - Quirky text adventure, good for a laugh
    princess_tomato_in_the_salad_kingdom.jpg
  • River City Ransom
  • Rodland
  • S.C.A.T. - Natsume makes great action games.
    scat-2.png
  • Shadowgate - The tunes are unforgettable.
  • Shadow of the Ninja (Blue Shadow)
    NesShadowOfTheNinja.PNG
  • Shatterhand
  • Snake's Revenge - More Solid Snake goodness.
  • Solstice - Hard Puzzle adventure
    Solstice_NES_ScreenShot3.gif
  • Star Tropics
  • Star Tropics II Zoda's Revenge
  • Street Fighter 2010 - Hard boss-rush type game. Loosely related to the fighting series.
    Street_Fighter_2010_NES_ScreenShot4.gif
  • Super C (Contra follow-up)
  • Super Mario Bros
  • Super Mario Bros 2 - Love this one
  • Super Mario Bros 3
  • Talespin
  • Tecmo Bowl
  • Totally Rad - Colorful and fun action game
    Totally_Rad_NES_ScreenShot4.gif
    366526-1145297827_09_super.png
  • Uninvited - Like Shadowgate
  • Wall Street Kid - Get rich quick!
    Wall%20Street%20Kid-2.png
  • Whomp 'Em
  • Zelda, Legend of
  • Zelda II Adventures of Link

Capcom and Konami made great games in general. There's a bunch of Japan-only games that you might want to take a look at.

Anth0ny

Attention: Don't play Metal Gear on NES. It's shit.

Instead, track down Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence for PS2. It has a bonus disc with the original, far superior version of Metal Gear (and Metal Gear 2) for MSX2. Shit's awesome.

G-Fex

I know, I Had Metal Gear when I was little and I didn't like it nor did I know what I was doing.

Truth is I only got it bought for me cause I wanted to show everyone how the guy on the cover looked like kyle reese.

I don't know if these have been listed yet but I figured I'd recommend some Japanese games since there's some pretty good stuff that never got released in North America.

Kid Dracula. It's a cute platformer that's part of the Castlevania universe. You play as a child version of Alucard and encounter some familiar enemies from the Castlevania games. Fun but challenging.
1428tfs.jpg

Joy Mech Fight. A really, really fun 2D fighter. It's a shame this was never released outside of Japan. One of my favorite Famicom games.
zmcqkp.jpg

Ninja JaJaMaru Kun. A fun little platformer. Nothing great but worth checking out.
14254k5.jpg

Splatterhouse Wanpaku. Another fun sidescroller. It's a cute version of Splatterhouse basically but not very difficult.
ru4gvo.jpg

Anth0ny

G-Fex said:
I know, I Had Metal Gear when I was little and I didn't like it nor did I know what I was doing.

Truth is I only got it bought for me cause I wanted to show everyone how the guy on the cover looked like kyle reese.

I sure that alone sold tons of people on the game... like Contra with Arnold/Sly on the cover.

But today, there's no reason to play the NES version when the original, superior version is pretty easy to track down.

thomaser

LastWindow said:
Joy Mech Fight. A really, really fun 2D fighter. It's a shame this was never released outside of Japan. One of my favorite Famicom games.
zmcqkp.jpg

I remember reading a review of this one in a British game mag a long time ago. They gave it 100 out of 100, and said it was basically the best game ever. I probably still have the mag somewhere in the basement. Can't remember what it was called, though.

KaYotiX

Banned
Life Force
TMNT (yes 1, i still rememebr beating it as a kid in front of friends in an hr or so because they never passed the Dam lvl with the bombs)

Bubble Bobble
Destiny of an Emporer (hell yes whoever posted that first with the pic)

Mistake

Tempy said:
Snake's Revenge - More Solid Snake goodness.
Very nice list Tempy, but Snake's Revenge is unofficial.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake's_Revenge

I'll recommend...

-Star Soldier
This game kind of repeats levels with harder difficulty, but it's addicting. And, for some reason, it has two player. If you plug in a second controller then two people can control the same ship! haha

-Summer Carnival '92 (also know as Recca)
Think ikaruga, NES style!

-Iron Tank
It's a simple war game where you control a small tank. But it's very good

And.... -3-D Battles of World Runner
The, haul your ass! game. It's really crazy but has great replay value. There's a sequel that never came to the states.

Track down the Japanese versions of the following Konami games, not to mention exclusives, if you can:

Gryzor, aka Contra (cinemas, extra animations)
Salamander, aka Life Force (extra multiple, endings)
Akumajou Densetsu, aka Castlevania 3
Getsufuuma Densetsu (Japan only)
Gradius II (Japan only)
Parodius (Japan only)
Goemon I and II (Japan only)
Crisis Force (Japan only)

-KRS-

Luigison said:
I remember my bros. and I playing a lot of Tiger Heli, but don't recall much about it.

Decent game, though there are better shooters on the NES that the OP should prioritize IMO, like Life Force and even The Guardian Legend.

The Guardian Legend is not a normal shooter though. It's like a mix of the top-down action style gameplay from zelda 1 and shoot'em up gameplay between stages. You should definitely check that one out. It's pretty cheap too. You can probably find a cart for <$5 shipped.

coamithra

Kreios said:
Parodius looks right up my alley. Thanks for the info cartman414!
Parodius is awesome but you're doing yourself a disservice playing it on NES when SNES and MAME versions are available.

Top Bottom