• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia gameplay, characters, battle, etc. screenshots

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
http://videogamerx.gamedonga.co.kr/zbxe/1608220 - More here

2ilda9w.jpg

33as905.jpg

2uegqqc.jpg

2z59kkh.jpg

2eob6l5.jpg

5fjcau.jpg

2r2xdm1.jpg

2howsj5.jpg

ppydv.jpg

icvhxz.jpg

2dq69k.jpg

55gegh.jpg

2u7vzhs.jpg

zuf7zt.jpg

b7anb4.jpg

3476x5s.jpg

Aeana

Hmm. :\
I like the art direction but the technical graphics are weird. The models have some weird effect on them that reminds me of games that capture 3D models for sprites.

Still, I can't wait to play it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Well for one there's no aliasing in the game, either it's very small or they attempted to blur it by adding some strange shadow effect.

If it had Graces f's aliasing, it will look fantastic.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It looks much better now. But some of it still strikes me as off. I can't put my finger on what.

Perhaps I need to see it in action in another trailer first. I'm still not sold or hyped for this game yet.

ShdwDrake

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
Still a massive step back from Vesperia.

I'll play it, but eh. Not excited from a visual standpoint.

If they added some AA it would be the opposite though. Thats the only thing really killing it for me. It doesn't have that smooth look.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think it looks pretty good in some shots and then PS2 HD in others. Can these Japanese devs not wrap their heads around MLAA or something? Inexcusable since it's in the SDK.

What leaps out at me is the contrast between the playable characters and the "normal" folks. How isn't the cast getting all kinds of glances as a freakshow as they come down the street? At least most of the Vesperia cast integrated KIND OF okay into the world (and Estelle's outfit was supposed to look kind of ridiculous).

But holy shit are they really charging 9000 yen for this thing, that is patently absurd. This is not 9000 yen worth of graphic ability, and I'm not usually a stickler for graphics.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Please don't tell me I'm the only who thinks bigger Japanese devs like Bamco should be putting more effort into the tech here? I mean they are not the only ones in the world in the industry. Look at all the big and small western studios putting out more creative and better looking games. I love the art and bright look but damn, come into next gen a little more damnit. Some of these games are just like PS2 upsized games with maybe some blur or DoF that doesn't mask the effort missing in the rest of the visuals. They do enhance a game and I will enjoy a game regardless but I know we aren't spoiled when good graphics and game play are the norm with everyone else around the world outside of a very select few Japanese developed games.

onken

jett said:
Is this a port of a wii game or something

I think we can take it as a given that this was made for Wii and then quickly shifted to PS3 when the Graces sales figures came in. And they have the balls to charge extra for it, urgh.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Hahaha I get the feeling that the only reason why the main female's hair is so long is to cover any possible butt-shots.

Damn her costume is so revealing. Get something to cover those skin, girl!

rykomatsu

SpaceDrake said:
But holy shit are they really charging 9000 yen for this thing, that is patently absurd. This is not 9000 yen worth of graphic ability, and I'm not usually a stickler for graphics.

And FF13 was worth even half that for gaming enjoyability?

More about the overall quality of the game than graphics imho...vesperia offered far more bang for the buck than FF13. If Xillia offers even half that much, it would, imho, still offer far better bang for the buck than that SE game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
SpaceDrake said:
What leaps out at me is the contrast between the playable characters and the "normal" folks. How isn't the cast getting all kinds of glances as a freakshow as they come down the street? At least most of the Vesperia cast integrated KIND OF okay into the world (and Estelle's outfit was supposed to look kind of ridiculous).
I find the main casts outfits both incredibly laughable but at the same time oddly compelling...they scratch that "stereotypical JRPG" itch.
(well...yeah...it is a Tales game)

Overall art design really appeals to me. Like, if I was to mix up elements to form my ideal RPG, I would take this over "generic Tolkein" or "FFXIII insanity" any day of the week.

Aeana

rykomatsu said:
And FF13 was worth even half that for gaming enjoyability?

More about the overall quality of the game than graphics imho...vesperia offered far more bang for the buck than FF13. If Xillia offers even half that much, it would, imho, still offer far better bang for the buck than that SE game.
FF13 cost (slightly) less and most assuredly cost way more to make, regardless of quality.

Sagitario

With the exception of the main guy, I am liking all the characters designs.
Art direction is pretty nice. I am sure it will look better in motion [hopefully, it will be 60fps].

I hope ToGf and TotA sell enough in America so this games has a chance to come too.

jett said:
Is this a port of a wii game or something

Maybe it started as one :p

I will repeat myself from the other thread:
Sagitario said:
I am really tired of seeing the same re-skinned enemies since Abyss. I bet that even the animations will be exactly the same... -_-

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Sorry but looks weak compared to other cel shaded games on the system. The most of the hair textures are horrible.

The rest looks good I think.

Gotta say looks a lot better now.

I really like the skit faces even though Graces' look really well with the mostly full body, these ones looks really well.

While the other parts look a little odd, I have faith that it would look better in motion.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sagitario said:
With the exception of the main guy, I am liking all the characters designs.
Art direction is pretty nice. I am sure it will look better in motion [hopefully, it will be 60fps].
Yeah, main guy really screams "WE THOUGHT THESE FLAPS WOULD LOOK COOL"

Oro

I really don't like the main characters robe thingy. It's too distractingly ugly. Like Vesperia better, this one seems generic by comparison.

Droplet

It's looking good enough for me. My main concern, which is probably pretty minor but it's still something that bothers me, is that they'll use those weird character movements that have been popping up lately. I think they're trying to replicate actual movements but somehow they always end up looking really awkward and jerky. They used it in the Symphonia sequel and Graces (I think) so I think they'll probably use it again. It just feels odd for a game that mostly tries to appear as anime.

I love me some Tales so I'll probably just get this regardless. Not digging the characters designs so far, but maybe I'll end up liking the characters enough to ignore it.

Now we just need a trailer. At some point.

ULTROS!

What team is responsible for what though?

All I know is that:

Environments - Symphonia
Characters Design - Graces and Symphonia

Who's in charge of the story and battle system?

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
What team is responsible for what though?

All I know is that:

Environments - Symphonia
Characters Design - Graces and Symphonia

Who's in charge of the story and battle system?
Tales of Xillia

Character Design: Mutsumi Inomata (ToG), Kosuke Fujishima (ToV)
Animation Production: ufotable
Music: Motoi Sakuraba
Theme Song Artist: Ayumi Hamasaki

Lead Game Design: Yoshimasa Tanaka (ToH)
Battle Game Design: Kenji Anabuki (ToV)

Lead Programming: Toyokazu Endo (ToV)
Sound Programming: Shuji Ikegami (ToV)
Lead Scripting: Satoshi Kohama [sp?] (ToG)

Lead Character Model Artist: Masahiko Musha (ToV)
Lead Monster Model Artist: Satoshi Nakamura (ToV)
Lead Map Model Artist: Yuko Kajihara (ToV)

Lead Event Demo Artist: Hisato Ito (ToG)
Lead Effect Artist: Natsuko Taki (ToV)
Lead 2D Graphic Artist: Yuri Suzuki (ToV)

Scenario Writer: Daisuke Kiga [sp?] (ToG)
Storyboard & Event Direction: Yasushi Shibu (ToG)

Art Director: Daigo Okumura (ToV)

Director: Naoto Miyadera (ToS/TotA), Asana Inoki (ToS:KoR)

Production Producer: Shinichiro Okamoto
Producer: Hideo Baba

K.Sabot

Main character looks a wee bit too much like last game's.
Also I don't care how PS2 era the graphics are, I just want to play it out here in 'merica.

ULTROS!

Aeana said:
Theme Song Artist: Ayumi Hamasaki

Ayu~~~~~~~^o^~~~~~

Aeana said:
Scenario Writer: Daisuke Kiga [sp?] (ToG)
Storyboard & Event Direction: Yasushi Shibu (ToG)

Are Team Destiny stories any good as compared to Team Symphonia stories?

Aeana

ULTROS! said:
Ayu~~~~~~~^o^~~~~~

Are Team Destiny stories any good as compared to Team Symphonia stories?
I personally prefer the stories in Symphonia games. Destiny team brought us the worst story in a game ever in Tales of Rebirth. The other Destiny game stories aren't nearly as bad, though. And Graces's is okay.

Kuran

Banned
Ugh, the character design is so grotesque... I could appreciate the Tales games in the 32bit era, but this just doesn't work for me anymore.

Paznos

Doesn't look as good as Vesperia but that could still change I guess, hopefully we'll get this over here, come on Namco Bandai.

Seda

Aeana said:
I personally prefer the stories in Symphonia games. Destiny team brought us the worst story in a game ever in Tales of Rebirth. The other Destiny game stories aren't nearly as bad, though. And Graces's is okay.

Only Destiny games haven't made it over here (US) recently

ULTROS!

Seda said:
Only Destiny games haven't made it over here (US) recently

Well, Graces f would be the first. It's Sony's fault that they hated localized 2D sprites during the PS2 era.

Neki

DR2K said:
Looks much better than Vesperia, there's textures and they look good and detailed.
What? Vesperia looks beautiful. This looks decent, but I think Vesperia looks cleaner. The girl models are really weird though, two of them look the exact same. (probably just the face)

Top Bottom