• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia gameplay, characters, battle, etc. screenshots

Seda

ULTROS! said:
Well, Graces f would be the first. It's Sony's fault that they hated localized 2D sprites during the PS2 era.

yep, looking forward to graces

edit: i like how both claiming vesperia looks better have Yuri and Rita avatars.

both look great, but I want to see Xillia in motion

RedSwirl

I must be looking at a different game because most of those screenshots look like an HD PS2 game. That goes for the model detail and the textures. Abandoning the cel shading was not a wise decision in this case.

Neki

Seda said:

edit: i like how both claiming vesperia looks better have Yuri and Rita avatars.

Well Vesperia looks way better in motion so I'll willing to give Xillia will look great in motion too. But the screenshots don't look fantastic.

Still looks ugly. Still looks like a downgrade from Vesperia somehow. I honestly don't know whats going on with this game. It just looks like a mess. The characters look funky and don't mesh well. Maybe going with both artists wasn't a good idea. It could turn out decent, but I am in no way excited for the game. But then again Graces F does look good in motion, so there is hope.

Paznos

Seda said:

Vesperia does look better it's not as rough around the edges, it has a cleaner, smoother cel shaded look to it while this is missing AA so the characters and the environment just look more jagged.

klee123

Ultimoo said:
What? Vesperia looks beautiful. This looks decent, but I think Vesperia looks cleaner. The girl models are really weird though, two of them look the exact same. (probably just the face)

Vesperia looked great because it was heavily cell shaded which helped masked the lack of detail of the textures. Detail wise, I reckon Xillia looks better too.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
This game has soooo much more ambiance than the previous games. I definitely like the glowish effect on the world. Definitely looking forward to this game.

Synless

I dunno, after comparing it to Vesperia, I think it looks better. I know I'm in the minority from reading the thread, but the colors, and the character models are all better than Vesperia's. The AA in this game though, needs some serious work. Use MLAA or something, there is no excuse for it given the simplistic look of the game.

Edit** Actually, I'm not even sure it is a problem with the AA. It just has a really weird look to it, some of the screens are pretty clean and others.......

Compared to Vesperia it doesn't look that great to be honest, but these are only a few screenshots. I certainly hope it's as humourous as Vesperia :)

Game need some AA and it would look much better.
I don't think it started out as a Wii game Bamco just being cheap and the Japanese team bad with tech.
Tales don't sell like they used to and it's not like the got the west to help them out .
Still should look a little better by the times it comes out so day 1 for me in NA if it comes over.

onken

klee123 said:
Vesperia looked great because it was heavily cell shaded which helped masked the lack of detail of the textures. Detail wise, I reckon Xillia looks better too.

Yeah Vesperia had low-res textures and ran in sub-HD, but know what? Makes no difference, the end result looked better.

I love the Tales games but it really pisses me off that they have to have obligatory child party members. I have a hard time convincing my Halo playing friends to play these because they look at the designs and laugh at me. I think the game would be alot more accessible to westerners if they kept all the characters at a mature age.

klee123

onken said:
Yeah Vesperia had low-res textures and ran in sub-HD, but know what? Makes no difference, the end result looked better.

Depends on tastes really. Last gen, I still preferred the look of Abyss over Symphonia and Xillia has a similar look to Abyss except that it's in higher res in HD.

That said, the game could really use some AA to clean up the IQ.

lucablight said:
I love the Tales games but it really pisses me off that they have to have obligatory child party members. I have a hard time convincing my Halo playing friends to play these because they look at the designs and laugh at me. I think the game would be alot more accessible to westerners if they kept all the characters at a mature age.

I don't think your Halo playing friends would even like most jrpgs besides the hyped ones like FF if they're the type to laugh at colorful Anime designs in general.

Yuterald

I'd hate to be that kind of guy, but it's hard to get excited about a new Tales game because of the lack of NA support. I know we are apparently getting Graces F and Abyss 3DS and all that good stuff, but I think the 'interest ship' has sailed for me and I've moved on from the franchise. I honestly just like the Tales games pre-Symphonia. Vesperia was cool, but I just don't have much of an interest in this whole scene anymore.

That old guy character looks kind of cool, I guess...

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DR2K said:
Looks much better than Vesperia, there's textures and they look good and detailed.

The texture work looks TERRIBLE. It's like they wrapped all of those models with texture tiles built for resolutions that support a generation behind. Clothing painted to a polygonal model has that soft, stretched look to it. It's seemingly a PS2/DC game stretched to HD resolutions with seemingly little in the way of post-processing to acclimate to the increased resolution. Vesperia looked far better.

Why not use the Vesperia engine? If Vesperia PS3 looks as good as the 360 version, then this is a noticeable step back. It looks like a Wii up-port or something.

Why they are using the old way of skits with avaters only? Why aren't they using the Graces way with full characters Anime art?

Other than that I LOVE everything about the game even the way it looks.. Hope for a spring release for the west... If we are getting one I hope, please!

Persona7

Banned
onken said:
I thought only the PS3 version of Vesperia ran at sub-HD?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Regulus Tera said:
An old man? In my jRPG?

It's the first usable old character in a Tales game. :p

Netto-kun

john tv said:
Wasn't someone complaining about the skits using 3D models? What am I missing?
Bebpo probably thought the regular long skits had a 3Dish look, since that's what it looked like in some of scans that were available.

The Praiseworthy said:
Why they are using the old way of skits with avaters only? Why aren't they using the Graces way with full characters Anime art?
Game is more akin to the Team Symphonia games than the Team Destiny games, so probably why.

This summer is going to be a blast with this game and Type-0. But I am not looking forward to how much I'll have to pay for the game, or all the DLCs they'll eventually pump out.

Darkman M

Seda said:

Vesperia looks way better.........

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

Seda

Darkman M said:
Vesperia looks way better.........

Geez I make a neutral comment and people still try to prove me wrong lol. They both look fine. I can't imagine buying Tales games to be blown away by production values.

kiryogi

Banned
Personally I think it looks great, it's just a different art direction. As mentioned before, it's more along the lines of Abyss. Can't wait!

StuBurns

Banned
Between this and FF Type-0 it's pretty amazing what people are getting out of the PSP at this point.

Snap, I was very excited about this game, but both technically and artistically it's looking really bad I think

kiryogi

Banned
Gunloc said:
I hope this isn't just a 6 member tales game.

Pretty sure they said he's the last one, and it's not the first time they've only had 6. Team Destiny titles always tend to have a pretty small main cast.

Seda said:
But Raven was a Old Man!

Ugh, that is the most annoying thing about Vesperia.
Raven starts out awesome but then they turn him into a really one-dimensional character who only talks about his age - and everyone around him only talks about his age. Got tiresome.

kiryogi said:
Pretty sure they said he's the last one, and it's not the first time they've only had 6. Team Destiny titles always tend to have a pretty small main cast.
:(

They've been using 6 member parties too much lately. And since both character designers are working on the game, you'd think they'd do an 8 or 10 person group.

Well, I guess they'll probably still have the standard temporary party member still to unveil. Can't have a Tales game without that.

john tv

GAF, help settle an office debate here between myself, Mangod, and the rest of the 8-4 peeps: Is this character a dude or a chick?

icvhxz.jpg

EDIT: Pretty sure I already know the answer, but would like to see what people think. Opinions are pretty divided here...

Top Bottom