• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Xillia gameplay, characters, battle, etc. screenshots

Mael

john tv said:
GAF, help settle an office debate here between myself, Mangod, and the rest of the 8-4 peeps: Is this character a dude or a chick?

http://i55.tinypic.com/icvhxz.jpg[ /IMG]

EDIT: Pretty sure I already know the answer, but would like to see what people think. Opinions are pretty divided here...[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it's a dude or a very weird looking girl...
And if it's a girl it's only because the designers wanted to throw the public off from that fact.

Luigiv

john tv said:
GAF, help settle an office debate here between myself, Mangod, and the rest of the 8-4 peeps: Is this character a dude or a chick?

EDIT: Pretty sure I already know the answer, but would like to see what people think. Opinions are pretty divided here...
Dude. Thick eyebrows, lack of tits and broad shoulders
(by anime standards)
gives it away.

Phonomezer said:
Eh, kind of looks like a 10 year old girl was let loose in the dress-up corner.

You sound like someone who haven't seen a 10 years old girl in his life.... since when a 10 years old girls has Thick eyebrows with a man eyes and broad shoulders?

The Praiseworthy said:
You sound like someone who haven't seen a 10 years old girl in his life.... since when a 10 years old girls has Thick eyebrows with a man eyes and broad shoulders?

Ever seen a Chinese gymnast? ;P

It's an androgynous looking male with incredibly poor muscle structure.

Aspiring

Sorry if it's been answered but is this 360/PS3? I'm 15 hours into Vesperia and it's the best game I have played this gen. So if released in the west it's day 1. Also is there a release date for ToGf?

StuBurns

Banned
Aspiring said:
Sorry if it's been answered but is this 360/PS3? I'm 15 hours into Vesperia and it's the best game I have played this gen. So if released in the west it's day 1. Also is there a release date for ToGf?
PS3 only right now, sorry.

Aspiring said:

This is PS3 only. I'm also currently playing through ToV for the first time, really, really good game - my first Tales game too!

I'll probably pick up ToX if it's anywhere near as good :)

Aspiring said:

Xillia is a PS3 only game.... and ToGf doesn't have a release date yet, wait for E3.

Aspiring

Thanks for the quick replies! I have a PS3 also so that's no dramas. Hopefully it gets a western release. Will be day 1!

Acosta

Guy is my guess John.

Looks good, I like the character design and that layer of Cel-Shaded that give it a darker tone -not as vibrant as Vesperia, which is not a bad thing-.

But it seriously needs AA.

Still has some weird effect all over. The core game and art aesthetics doesn't look bad at all, its just the final effect on screenshots that looks really weirdly blurry.

They should release a PV already, maybe in motion it doesn't bother as much.

Also, Aeana 8980Y? really? That must be among the most expensive PS3 games ever if not the most itself. Pretty shitty way of treating the PS3 base, although with the Graces F costing ~8k (when it was a 7k Wii game) it already paved the way for the brand new game to be 9k.

Erasus

Looks ok...

The models look pretty good, but those environments and textures... Even Folklore looks better on a technical level imo

So I guess that thing about skits using 3D models was just a rumor or a mistranslation or something.

Though I really wonder what's up with the graphics. I don't have a good eye for this stuff but it does kinda look subpar. But Tales games look better in motion usually.

Coxswain

I don't really mind the art style, but god that aliasing is fucking gross. Vesperia looked way better despite being simple and low-detail by comparison.

The game will probably still be pretty rad, but still, ick.

StuBurns

Banned
French said:
Didn't Vesperia look better than this ?
It's an artistic difference more than a technical one, it's not like this is notably lower poly or texture resolution from the looks of it.

However this is the first Tales with a 3D camera, so presumably they're having to do more asset wise so they're spread a little thinner than with ToV.

But yeah, ultimately Vesperia does look better.

Darkman M

StuBurns said:
It's an artistic difference more than a technical one, it's not like this is notably lower poly or texture resolution from the looks of it.

However this is the first Tales with a 3D camera, so presumably they're having to do more asset wise so they're spread a little thinner than with ToV.

But yeah, ultimately Vesperia does look better.

The texture work here looks much worse to me unless im wearing rose tinted glasses. The lack of AA is really noticeable and it looks like they just upconverted the resolution from an SD game.

StuBurns

Banned
Darkman M said:
The texture work here looks much worse to me unless im wearing rose tinted glasses.
tales-of-vesperia03.jpg

I would say rose tinted is accurate.

Coxswain

Darkman M said:
The texture work here looks much worse to me unless im wearing rose tinted glasses. The lack of AA is really noticeable and it looks like they just upconverted the resolution from an SD game.
Vesperia's textures were 'worse', in the sense that they were low-res and low-detail, but they still looked better because the overall art style had a very deliberate, simple, and clean look, and really great image quality.

Xilia just doesn't look as coherent; there's still nothing that's actually high-quality and detailed, but they have medium-quality stuff mixed in with simple low-quality stuff and everything looks janky from the aliasing. The overall effect comes off way worse than sticking to low-quality and doing it really well, like Vesperia did.

Go_Ly_Dow

Looks nice artistically. Technically it either looks like it's slightly sub-hd or it's the dithering and lack of AA that makes it look messy.

Namco probably took note of the Graces F PS3 and how the fanbase didn't care about the Wii level visuals.

I will definitely buy Graces F and I hope the sales for it are enough for Namco to bring this over here as well.

StuBurns

Banned
Darkman M said:
That screen is really compressed and blurry and it still looks better.
That's what it looks like. And yeah, it looks better, but the textures, which was what you commented on, are still dog shit.

It's just blurry and desaturated.

JQ4Ra.jpg

Darkman M

StuBurns said:
That's what it looks like. And yeah, it looks better, but the textures, which was what you commented on, are still dog shit.

It's just blurry and desaturated.

Cze2U.jpg

I commented on the overall look, but yeah the textures aren't great from either game, but this game looks worse, jaggies everywhere, resolution looks like it was upconverted from a ps2 game.

Regardless of which is technically superior Xillia is looking much more interesting to me. It's kind of like how I felt Abyss looked more 'interesting' even though Symphonia was technically more impressive.

The game looks like it has that shitty dithering effect that PSP games suffer from. I know its aliasing but something about it looks extra bad.
I wish the whole games art style was consistent with the the way they have rendered the old mans face, that looks great.

I hope girly-man is a recruitable member.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is it me or do some things look cel shaded and some not? Definitely see some outline stuff on that hawk thing. And yeah what's with the aliasing?

manzo

Judging from the character models and geometry, the game has been long in development for Wii, then quietly switched to PS3.

Art direction looks nice in some pics, but otherwise it looks like a Wii game rendered in 720p without AA.

I think it looks fantastic. I know there are technical issues here and there, but the overall look is more pleasing to my eyes than Vesperia. I thought the locations in Vesperia weren't terribly interesting.

RPGCrazied

Lets get Tales of Graces F first. I know I'm drooling like the rest of you, but when Graces F comes out, and does poorly, no way this will come to America. ;/

Cwarrior

Still looks worse then versprai and graces, i think this use to be a psp game at this point.
Most likely the financial problems the tales team are having is effect the budget of this game.

Paracelsus

Cwarrior said:
Still looks worse then versprai and graces, i think this use to be a psp game at this point.
Most liken the financial problems the tales team are having is effect the budget of this game.

Yoshizumi in the Nintendo Power interview said:
Japanese RPGs have a huge amount of text that requires a lot of time to localize. And not just time, of course, but money as well. We've tried taking steps on our end to try and alleviate this problem, and we're starting to see results. Hopefully, we can now look forward to seeing more games in the "Tales of" series being enjoyed by a worldwide audience.

Given localization work is still being handled by 8-4 (and it's not like they can ask for a half-assed job in order to pay less) they definetely lowered the game budget itself. After all there's no standard to mantain as far as HD Jrpg go. In a market with games like Rorona, Totori, Tonelico and yeah, even WKC, games like Graces F and Xillia will look just fine.

PKrockin

Not as impressive technically as I was expecting...

Same team as Vesperia though, meaning day 1 again
if only I had a PS3

Tucah said:
I'll still buy if it comes to NA (lol) though.

We still have a little hope left.... cause we are getting ToGf now :)

Cwarrior said:

Oh come on.... people please sure ToX doesn't look that good but don't overreact :\

adhoclia

Neo Member
RPGCrazied said:
Lets get Tales of Graces F first. I know I'm drooling like the rest of you, but when Graces F comes out, and does poorly, no way this will come to America. ;/
You're assuming Bamco didn't just announce it to stop the translation project. Because we have no release date, no concrete details, nothing. Just a site.

...It was a trap.

Paracelsus

adhoclia said:
You're assuming Bamco didn't just announce it to stop the translation project. Because we have no release date, no concrete details, nothing. Just a site.

...It was a trap.

It totally was, and the ToV logo in the scrambled pic wasn't a mistake or a coincidence, but rather a "fuck you" to the ToV project as well. I wouldn't have been so sure about this, but what do you know, ToV popped up on XBL a few weeks ago.

Top Bottom