• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultima Reborn - Cancelled DS Project - Screenshots, Sprites & Art

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
// Mod Edit:

Nirolak said:
This was a real game, but it was canceled quite a while ago based on resume leaks.

superannuation said:
Sep. 2004 – Present - ELECTRONIC ARTS - Canada - Art Director – Concept Artist

…RRX Xbox360 – Rider Xbox360 – Ultima Reborn NDS (Unreleased) (Art Director)
http://www.stephanebelin.com/themes/sbe/sbelin.rtf
Source: http://supererogatory.tumblr.com/post/224123959/sep-2004-present-electronic-arts-canada
----

I tried a google search for "Ultima Reborn" on this forum and nothing came up outside a mention in another thread. Lock if old.

Anyway, thread title might make you sad but once you see the screenshots and art, you'll probably be happy this will never be. Let's start with Avatar.

4171c8100072a0519aeea4a41aa36315d011d1f0.jpg

Source with more stuff, individual character images, high resolution tits, French text with information I don't understand, etc.

2d6f79c0cedbd7aaed558a1db711f23ef1a60c99.jpg
3eb1e17132fe371be17aa7f48c1bc0627aeb820a.jpg
c65ac4d359c0dd5fbabd565f16a9c131f9b6ab63.jpg
8a333f729f2c0f94cb32eec262a34de21d4c2054.jpg

The artists are talented but, come on. Ultima? Really? Should this be flagged NSFW?

Gattsu25

Banned
FUCKING HELL

I saw the thread title and was pissed that a new Ultima game was cancelled. I saw the OP and am now glad that it was.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Looks like we didn't miss out on much.

How is that even remotely Ultima, anyways. Even the Ankh is wrong.

Ulairi

Banned
They better not do another Ultima game. They'll ruin it by turning it into another ES game designed for the consoles.

Adnor

Banned
The sprites look awesome...

Maybe they should release it... BUT CHANGE THE NAME, that's not Ultima!

those are some decent sprites, but I can't see any appeal outside the boobies (or is that what "looks good" and "good art" are code for...?)

G-Fex

This would've pissed off Spoony to no end.

I've never played a Ultima game but I must say it looks different.

Isn't this the 2nd or 3rd time that they have completely bombed out on an Ultima reboot? Ultima is my favorite RPG of all time (I even love the first 3), but I'll be the first to admit that the combat/stats/etc of the Ultima series have always been incredibly basic. You won't recapture what made Ultima so special, and so worth playing, just with generic JRPG/SRPG #2422.

When they create a game like that, what are they trying to do? Cash in on the Ultima name? Does it even have a name left? The best of the series was more than 20 years ago. If your going to reboot Ultima do it right, or just let it rest in piece.

Ubisoft is coming out with "Might and Magic" games that have nothing to do with the original series. If these companies think they can make an extra few bucks by tacking on Ultima or Might and Magic or whatever then they will.

Pimpbaa

Doesn't look like Ultima, but it still looks interesting. Shame all that pixel art went to waste, especially those half naked chicks.

fernoca

Looks nice, though don't know why the blonde one decides to put pieces of clothes on her "hoohoos", her "weewee" ..and her eyes.

Dambrosi said:
I love the Capcom-in-the-arcades-circa-1997 quality of some of the artwork.

A pity this was cancelled.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

I'm sure people would think of the game more favorably if it wasn't titled Ultima.

Dambrosi

Banned
aggro crag said:
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

I'm sure people would think of the game more favorably if it wasn't titled Ultima.
Yes, I agree. They should have taken the assets and developed it under a new name.

fernoca said:
Looks nice, though don't know why the blonde one decides to put pieces of clothes on her "hoohoos", her "weewee" ..and her eyes.
I don't think this means what you think it means...

(Unless there's some regional thing I don't know about.)

Ceebs

I am sure it would look fine if it were anything but Ultima. As an Ultima game however, that looks like an unholy abomination.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh, I'm so torn!
Man, I'd be afraid to see their Lord British.
That Avatar is so RAAAAAAAAAAGE!

Iolo?
Shamino?
Dupre? (NOT dead, damnit!)

I wonder how they'd render Stones?
Blaring (faux) electric guitars?

UNCyrus

inner-G said:
Damn, that looks pretty cool. Shame.

The real shame is that it was originally slated for DS and not given proper funding for a full-scale release... a definitive homage to the franchise.

DiscoJer

nelsonroyale said:
Wait...this was supposed to an Ultima game...from the medieval rpg series.... Looks terrible

Ultima wasn't medieval, really.

Besides the early games having spaceships, there were later spinoffs that had different settings (like one on an ERB style Mars, and one with a Lost World setting).

But the very early games were very much inspired by Time Bandits and I would say the fantasy works of Michael Moorcock (which featured various settings and a lot of planar travel). It wasn't until the third that the series was primarily medieval.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Synth_floyd said:
Ubisoft is coming out with "Might and Magic" games that have nothing to do with the original series. If these companies think they can make an extra few bucks by tacking on Ultima or Might and Magic or whatever then they will.
Well it helps that Clash of Heroes is absolutely incredible.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Weeeelllllll I've no idea about much of Ultima. But the artwork is really nice. So I am sad it was cancelled. :c

Top Bottom