• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extremely Dubious Rumor: Sony briefly reveals Syphon Filter 4

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.vg247.com/2011/05/31/e3-rumour-watch-sony-briefly-reveals-syphon-filter-4-on-their-website/

Several forums, including those published by Giantbomb, GameTrailers and French website Gamekyo, are reporting that Sony’s US Playstation website published a post disclosing Syphon Filter 4 before removing it an hour later.

2untuzq.png

Apparently, the post said the game was being developed using a new engine by SCE London and would be releasing in Q4 2012.

We’ll send Sony an email and ask for comment.

Hey, Y2Kev... hype.

Nirolak said:
I checked all three sources, and the links weren't working when any of them were posted...

Well, massive chunk of salt then folks :/

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Great. I was just thinking about how much I needed another third person shooter in my life.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
syphon-filter-01.jpg

GRX: "Oh Gabe is that gun your holding , or are you just happy to see me *wink wink*"

Cap* Cap*

Gabe: "Both"

Noshino

Dance In My Blood said:
Great. I was just thinking about how much I needed another third person shooter in my life.

Except it wasnt really like the rest.

Go play the previous SP games.

YES!!! Please be so.

I've been wanting a proper SF console release for years.

Ever since Uncharted came out, I thought about a Syphon Filter game using that engine and hell even those play mechanics.

Late 2012 would be so weak and depending on console situations by then, Sony will have another SF3 on their hands.

Loudninja

Yeah people are most likely copying an pasting the rumor from other sties, so right now I wouldn't put much stock in it at all.

Momo

Banned
Is this thread about Colony Wars 4?

Oh .. :(

I dunno, Syphon Filter seemed pretty dead to me during PS1 times already.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
V_Ben said:
Apparently, the post said the game was being developed using a new engine by SCE London and would be releasing in Q4 2012.

We’ll send Sony an email and ask for comment.

I'll save you the time.

Sony PR said:
Sony doesn't respond to rumours**

Didn't actually say that, but they would

HooYaH

I have a feeling this would be a Vita/NGP title. If its on PS3, they better sure recap the last three games since it has been so long. The first one was on PS1 right? and 2 and 3 on PSP?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
HooYaH said:
I have a feeling this would be a Vita/NGP title. If its on PS3, they better sure recap the last three games since it has been so long. The first one was on PS1 right? and 2 and 3 on PSP?
Why not put it on both?

Slime

Banned
I remember buying the first Syphon Filter after obsessing over the OPM demo. I thought the final product was pretty meh and kind of wrote off rest of the series as some sort of cheap cash-in. Then I tried the PSP games on a whim and was completely blown away. Major turnaround.

I'd play a new game (with dual analog!) in a heartbeat. If this rumor is true I'd definitely welcome it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
HooYaH said:

SF 1-3 were PS1 games, SF: The Omega Strain was a PS2 game, SF: Dark Mirror and SF: Logan's Shadow were PSP games (both were later ported to the PS2), and SF: Combat Ops is some online-only game released on PSN.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syphon_Filter_(series)

DiscoJer

HooYaH said:

First 3 were on PS1, then the 4th on the PS2, then the series died, only to be revived (much better) on the PSP. And then ironically the 2 PSP versions were ported back to the PS2 (there is also an online PSP game, Combat Ops).

But pretty much they dropped the story (and the whole Syphon Filter thing, more Splinter Cell-ish) when they moved to PSP.

DiscoJer

CF_Fighter said:
Can i just taze terrorists like I fondly remember doing in the first level of the first game?

Maybe not. They downgraded Logan's Shadow (the last PSP one) to T, and they took out the tazing setting people on fire bit.

IMHO, a new Syphon Filter game should have been the centerpiece of the NGP. Probably with a different name than Syphon Filter (since it probably has some baggage), but same gameplay and characters as the last PSP ones.

randomwab

The first two Syphon Filter games were so good. I still have an unplayed copy of the third game somewhere. Would love to see this series given a proper, big push.

So long as Gabe still runs like a twat, though.

tzare

they should hire jack bauer for next SF. I hope this game exists and gives us, stealh fanboys, more options beside splinter and MGS

My heart skipped a beat when I saw this thread. Oh god please be true, this is my most wanted game ever. I'm not going to get my hopes up though... John Garvin said himself that they're not making a new SF...

Takao

Banned

Takao

Banned
Noisepurge said:
i just bought Logan's Shadow for the PS2, how is this number 4 in the canon? :D Shadow is like Syphon Filter 6.

PSP games obviously don't count because they're PSP games.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Takao said:
PSP games obviously don't count because they're PSP games.

But they were ported to the PS2 and they continue the storyline. Storyline that is awesome! The PSP versions got all kinds of game of the year awards for the epic story.

Are they just going to retcon 3 games worth of stuff...Omega Strain was on the PS2 to begin with.

Anyway, people should play Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow on the PS2, great games.

Busty

Banned
IIRC Bend were the first Sony first party studio to get a PS3 development kit in the US. It would be a shame if they weren't given a chance to show what they could do with it.

Afrikan

I'm interested if it is a new engine from Sony London. But I wonder why they wouldn't just use a modified Uncharted 3 engine.

Takao

Banned
Noisepurge said:
But they were ported to the PS2 and they continue the storyline. Storyline that is awesome! The PSP versions got all kinds of game of the year awards for the epic story.

Are they just going to retcon 3 games worth of stuff...Omega Strain was on the PS2 to begin with.

Anyway, people should play Dark Mirror and Logan's Shadow on the PS2, great games.

The Omega Strain was really just a spinoff like Combat Ops. It wasn't meant to have a storymode IIRC but had one tacked on from request of SCEA.

anddo0

Great news, if true.

It's totally going to be a reboot given how the last PSP game ended.

I hope they don't screw this up.. I wonder what type of engine SCE London will come up with. I'd be much more comfortable if they borrowed the Uncharted engine and tweaked it.

Top Bottom