• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 E3 Recap Thread

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
mass_effect_3_logo1xnrs.jpg

I decided to make this thread because there will be flood of gameplay demos, demo impressions, screens coming in and I don't want to miss any of them in some separate thread. I'll update OT with them.

meanwhile could somebody explain to me what RPG elements are being improved? I haven't read previews to remain unspoiled.

Kinect gameplay:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714804

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqCqVAoCA8w

EA conference gameplay:
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714872

11 Minutes Of Gameplay Footage:

Nirolak said:
GameTrailers has put up 11 minutes of Mass Effect 3 gameplay on their site.

Part 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714902

Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-mass-effect/714904

ORIGIN EXCLUSIVE ON PC (it seems that it's valid for the deluxe version only)

Multiplayer details leak (rumour):

Additionally, our source also detailed some parts of the multiplayer campaign. Here’s what we’ve been told:

The game will feature a Horde style multiplayer mode with “crap loads” of maps.
It will also have the regular modes such as Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch and Capture the Flag.
The Horde mode will have objectives like Capture The Flag, King of the Hill, and simple shoot-to-kill ‘waves’ as well.
Up to four players can play cooperatively in the Horde mode.
Maps are “fairly small” but well designed.
Players can choose from 6 different classes, or use a prebuilt one’s. Our source didn’t confirm what those classes were, but we reckon all those from ME2 will be present.
There will be a level cap of 60.
Some of the enemies were confirmed as well: Geth, Marauders, Husks, and a new enemy type called Brutes. The source described them as insanely “huge ass”.
The game will also feature a ‘multiplayer store’. The store will carry upgrades for weapons, etc. and other items.
Players will be able to buy said upgrades and items by earning in-game money based on their performance in the multiplayer. Our source wasn’t sure if the in-game money can be earned via the single player campaign as well, “but I doubt it. Seems like the (singleplayer and multiplayer) modes will be separate.”

lolbiowareeaempn.png

Timetable:

Nirolak said:
June 6th:
Known Appearances:
-Microsoft Press Conference (9:30 A.M. PDT)
-EA Press Conference (12:30 P.M. PDT)
-ME3 Live Demo On GameTrailers (1:30 P.M. PDT) [Different demo than the EA Press Conference]

Potential Information:

June 7th:
Known Appearances:
-ME3 Live Demo On IGN (1:00 P.M. PDT) [30 Minutes]
-ME3 Live Demo On G4TV (4:00 P.M. PDT Or Later)

Potential Information:
-John Riccitiello GameTrailers Interview (10:00 A.M. PDT)
-Frank Gibeau GameTrailers Interview (2:00 P.M. PDT)
(These two tend to be very information leaky.)

June 8th:
Know Apperances:
-ME3 Live Demo On EA.com (2:00 P.M. PDT) [This seems to be 2.5 hours long]

Potential Information:
-Something on http://store.origin.com/ though I have no idea when that will go up.

Collector's edition:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SY06W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Date set as March 6, 2012.

412klMR01JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Lakitu said:
Premium metal case featuring commemorative artwork of Commander Shepard
70-page hardbound art book featuring hundreds of unique and gorgeous illustrations from the BioWare development team plus an exclusive 4x6 lithographic print featuring a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork
Limited edition Mass Effect comic by Dark Horse Comics, complete with unique cover artwork
Join the ranks of the N7 with the premium fabric N7 patch
A full collection of in-game content that can't be found anywhere else!

n7_ce_vignette-en-oxg4u.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Damn I thought there had been an update.

Anyway more combat stuff has been added. It's an expanded ME2. If you didn't like ME2, you're probably not going to like ME3.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you don't want to be spoiled on parts of the game, given how much they're showing at E3, this is probably a bad thread to be the OP of. :p

Assuming you want to continue though, there will be four demos and multiple 30+ minute livestreams of the game.

For your last question though, I need a vague description of what you consider RPG features to be able to filter those out from the other features for you.

subversus

Jarmel said:
Damn I thought there had been an update.

Anyway more combat stuff has been added. It's an expanded ME2. If you didn't like ME2, you're probably not going to like ME3.

But people in the AP thread were saying that previews expanded on some RPG elements being improved or something like that.

subversus said:
meanwhile could somebody explain to me what RPG elements are being improved? I haven't read previews to remain unspoiled.

Leveling up is primarily focused on your romance and planet scanning abilities. If you get sex appeal high enough and maxed out paragon/renegade, you can have multiple romances going simultaneously with no penalties. The new "Surveyor" class specialization (Engineers/Infiltrators) gets you twice as many minerals per probe.

I don't believe they've said anything specific about it other than you can now "evolve" your powers multiple times. My guess is that with a higher level cap they will have more skills to invest in and longer trees for each skill. Inventory is unlikely to make a return.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
SpacLock said:
That's an asshole 1st post. This thread isn't going anywhere.

Its an ME thread. Not my fault...mostly.

I dont expect this thread to go anywhere, and its not a dig at subversus either.

Jarmel

Banned
subversus said:
But people in the AP thread were saying that previews expanded on some RPG elements being improved or something like that.

Alot of stuff is being expanded. The combat is being drastically improved, more armor options, more power options, more interrupts. However the core is without any doubt ME2.

Snuggler said:
put on your oven mitts it's time for the ME3 logo:

yay (ME3 logo mid-explosion)

moving on, I look forward to the E3 information re: this game.

Is that real? Holy shit.

subversus

Nirolak said:
If you don't want to be spoiled on parts of the game, given how much they're showing at E3, this is probably a bad thread to be the OP of. :p

Assuming you want to continue though, there will be four demos and multiple 30+ minute livestreams of the game.

For your last question though, I need a vague description of what you consider RPG features to be able to filter those out from the other features for you.

I don't really care anymore, I didn't want to be spoiled about the beginning of the game, but I'm ok with a trailer and gameplay.

RPG features:

1)loot
2)character development tree
3)your decisions influencing the story

Jarmel

Banned
subversus said:
I don't really care anymore, I didn't want to be spoiled about the beginning of the game, but I'm ok with a trailer and gameplay.

RPG features:

1)loot

Supposedly all three of those have been expanded.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
subversus said:

RPG features:

1)loot
1.) You get weapon attachments again. They can be equipped to three different spots on the gun. You might be able to pick up enemy weapons as well, but they haven't decided yet.

2.) Powers evolve more than once, powers are a lot more effective (like using biotics to rip a metal shield out of someone's hand), and powers also combine. And example of power combination is using concussive shot with cryo ammo on to fire an area of effect freeze bomb.

3.) Since they don't have to worry about a direct plot sequel, your actions can change a lot more. Depending on your past decisions in previous games, you may no longer be able to get certain allies for the fight against the reapers, or may have to choose between two allies due to what you had done in a previous game as well. Anyone who was dead in Mass Effect 1 or 2 will remain dead in Mass Effect 3. Since almost all the main characters from the previous games come back (at least as temporary squadmates), this can have a rather large effect on who you partner with.

Acheteedo

Nirolak said:

Have they stated that they're showing a lot or something?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Acheteedo said:
Have they stated that they're showing a lot or something?
They said they're trying to keep spoilers to a minimum, but they do have four demos and enough content to fill a 30+ minute livestream so I figure there has to at least be something people would consider a spoiler.

Seda

If this thread actually becomes a one stop shop for all Mass Effect 3 news, TC has to keep the OP up to date, because no one wants to sift through a potentially multi-page thread to find information posted. But to do that, he's probably gonna get spoiled.

Jarmel

Banned
Nirolak said:
1.) You get weapon attachments again. They can be equipped to three different spots on the gun. You might be able to pick up enemy weapons as well, but they haven't decided yet.

I thought there were conflicting reports on this. I remember reading somewhere that it might actually be 5 different spots. Or was it 5 different things per spot?

HK-47 said:
How about decent hair, period.

They've made a point of mentioning that the hair is much improved.

Van Buren

subversus said:

I'd advise you to keep your expectations low to avoid being disappointed, to be honest. The IGN preview from a few days back started out with the paragraph, "ME3 plays like a shooter" or some such.

What we do know is that Shep's powers can be upgraded a few times, and there are weapon modifications. No word on whether they are going to address the issue of global cooldowns though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jarmel said:
I thought there were conflicting reports on this. I remember reading somewhere that it might actually be 5 different spots. Or was it 5 different things per spot?
A lot of things are still in flux, so it's not clear, but at least three.

subversus

Nirolak said:
3.) Since they don't have to worry about a direct plot sequel, your actions can change a lot more. Depending on your past decisions in previous games, you may no longer be able to get certain allies for the fight against the reapers, or may have to choose between two allies due to what you had done in a previous game as well. Anyone who was dead in Mass Effect 1 or 2 will remain dead in Mass Effect 3. Since almost all the main characters from the previous games come back (at least as temporary squadmates), this can have a rather large effect on who you partner with.

sounds GOOD

Jarmel

Banned
Van Buren said:
I'd advise you to keep your expectations low to avoid being disappointed, to be honest. The IGN preview from a few days back started out with the paragraph, "ME3 plays like a shooter" or some such.

What we do know is that Shep's powers can be upgraded a few times, and there are weapon modifications. No word on whether they are going to address the issue of global cooldowns though.

ME2 was pretty much a shooter anyway so if they can get to Uncharted levels of goodness with biotic powers as a bonus then I will be very VERY happy.

subversus

Seda said:
If this thread actually becomes a one stop shop for all Mass Effect 3 news, TC has to keep the OP up to date, because no one wants to sift through a potentially multi-page thread to find information posted. But to do that, he's probably gonna get spoiled.

As I've posted above I don't really care anymore. Also Nirolak can update OT every time he wants (what he does usually). I'll be sleeping during EA conference anyway.

HK-47 said:
Its an ME thread. Not my fault...mostly.

I dont expect this thread to go anywhere, and its not a dig at subversus either.
I expect it to be a competent game, and as long as I get my future swords I'll just cover my ears and not read your posts unless they making funny. In which case I'll read and giggle.

But I never thought Bioware could tell a story to the level some wanted it, and I never considered ME1 to be in some upper echelon of gaming story telling. It was a fun scifi story. Hero of the Galaxy against an indescribably powerful threat.

The only thing lost in ME2 is that touch of mystery. The writing is on par, with character dialog in general taking a huge upswing. The core game is on firmer ground than the first, but lacking that experimental spirit of the first... I happened to like making an uberpowerful Adept with electronics skills.

I don't know man.

I like both for very different reasons. I like the experimental nature of the first that lets me create distinctly different characters every time I play, and the second for the overall improved finish behind almost every nook and cranny of the game. I loved the use of the triggers in cutscenes for extreme Paragon or Renegade actions.

Taking the skill tree and leveling up system of ME1 and the hyper polish of ME2 and you've got another 400 hours of gaming I'm liking to tally.

Lard

Banned
I picked up ME1 a couple of days ago and will play it once I'm done Fallout 3. (So...November?) Very interested to read what's being said about the series, now that I'm going to be playing it.

Jarmel

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
I expect it to be a competent game, and as long as I get my future swords I'll just cover my ears and not read your posts unless they making funny. In which case I'll read and giggle.

But I never thought Bioware could tell a story to the level some wanted it, and I never considered ME1 to be in some upper echelon of gaming story telling. It was a fun scifi story. Hero of the Galaxy against an indescribably powerful threat.

The only thing lost in ME2 is that touch of mystery. The writing is on par, with character dialog in general taking a huge upswing. The core game is on firmer ground than the first, but lacking that experimental spirit of the first... I happened to like making an uberpowerful Adept with electronics skills.

I don't know man.

I like both for very different reasons. I like the experimental nature of the first that lets me create distinctly different characters every time I play, and the second for the overall improved finish behind almost every nook and cranny of the game. I loved the use of the triggers in cutscenes for extreme Paragon or Renegade actions.

Taking the skill tree and leveling up system of ME1 and the hyper polish of ME2 and you've got another 400 hours of gaming I'm liking to tally.

ME2 suffers from some plot holes and retcon, something many sequels suffer from. The biggest retcon obviously being Arrival with the asteroid deal. Also the twists weren't as shocking as in ME1. The big twist that the Collectors were Protheans were,I guess, supposed to be the big twist of the game along with the Human Reaper and both were letdowns.

My dream is the polish of ME2 with the story of ME1. I would rather the inventory and leveling system in ME1 go in a hole and die. I also wish they would bring back the exploration aspect which is much more prevalent in ME1.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
But yes, as a separate note, we'll still have separate threads for big news, especially for time sensitive things like livestreams, but that can all be recapped in the OP here if subversus is up to it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'll try to look into that soon. Let me first grab some liveblogs and livestreams for EA's main thread since I notice that I forgot to put those in the thread.

I'll probably find the schedule while looking for them.

Seda

Jarmel said:
Is the livestreams for ME3 going up today? My awareness of the E3 schedule is all over the place.

Many sites are doing live demos of many games, including ME3. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is GT/Spike after the EA conference tomorrow (around 1:30 PDT).

subversus

Nirolak said:
I'll try to look into that soon. Let me first grab some liveblogs and livestreams for EA's main thread since I notice that I forgot to put those in the thread.

I'll probably find the schedule while looking for them.

please post it here if you find them - I'll update OT.

Ploid 3.0

Looks like Mass Effect.

Serious note, I'm still not finish with ME2, never played ME1, I hope Miranda is back + other Chuck people. I haven't been playing attention to ME3 news, it's probably already confirmed she's not in hah.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Jarmel said:
ME2 suffers from some plot holes and retcon, something many sequels suffer from. The biggest retcon obviously being Arrival with the asteroid deal. Also the twists weren't as shocking as in ME1. The big twist that the Collectors were Protheans were,I guess, supposed to be the big twist of the game along with the Human Reaper and both were letdowns.

My dream is the polish of ME2 with the story of ME1. I would rather the inventory and leveling system in ME1 go in a hole and die. I also wish they would bring back the exploration aspect which is much more prevalent in ME1.

Something most poorly planned sequels suffer from.

Van Buren

HK-47 said:

Didn't the Doctors state that the entire trilogy's story was planned out from the start ? I recall something to this effect during the lead up to ME1's launch. I should have probably taken it with a grain of salt then.

Jarmel

Banned
HK-47 said:

They definitely needed to have planned some stuff out better but hindsight is 20/20.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Looks like Mass Effect.

Serious note, I'm still not finish with ME2, never played ME1, I hope Miranda is back + other Chuck people. I haven't been playing attention to ME3 news, it's probably already confirmed she's not in hah.

She's in.

Van Buren said:
Didn't the Doctors state that the entire trilogy's story was planned out from the start ? I recall something to this effect during the lead up to ME1's launch. I should have probably taken it with a grain of salt then.

I'm sure the major plot points were such as the human Reaper and the Collectors.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Van Buren said:

Probably changed direction.

Chiggs

I think it's really cool that Bioware has you pitted against Cerberus, thus negating the decisions that a lot of us made in ME2. It's like your choices really make a difference in the series! You can really tell they've planned things out extremely well, and I have no doubt ME3 will be a satisfying and fulfilling conclusion to the groundbreaking series.

And, gosh, I can't wait for those risque sex scenes to make another appearance! I want my female protagonist to climax right before the game does! Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Van Buren said:

Yep, just like George Lucas with Star Wars and the Wachowskis with the Matrix sequels. Seamless and cohesive, eh?

Jarmel

Banned
Chiggs said:
I think it's really cool that Bioware has you pitted against Cerberus, thus negating the decisions that a lot of us made in ME2. It's like your choices really make a difference in the series! You can really tell they've planned things out extremely well, and I have no doubt ME3will be a satisfying and fulfilling conclusion to the groundbreaking series.

And, gosh, I can't wait for those risque sex scenes to make another appearance! I want my female protagonist to climax right before the game does! Ha Ha Ha Ha!

Can we hold off on the Cerberus plot point, it's rather easy to explain. Also it adds more enemy variety.

Honestly I don't care.

I get to use cool powers, shoot things, now slash them, and sleep with aliens.

I'm in for the long haul Bioware. I still believe in you!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
subversus said:
please post it here if you find them - I'll update OT.
Okay, so far I have:

June 6th:
Known Appearances:
-Microsoft Press Conference (9:30 A.M. PDT)
-EA Press Conference (12:30 P.M. PDT)
-ME3 Live Demo On GameTrailers (1:30 P.M. PDT) [Different demo than the EA Press Conference]

Potential Information:

June 7th:
Known Appearances:
-ME3 Live Demo On IGN (1:00 P.M. PDT) [30 Minutes]
-ME3 Live Demo On G4TV (4:00 P.M. PDT Or Later)

Potential Information:
-John Riccitiello GameTrailers Interview (10:00 A.M. PDT)
-Frank Gibeau GameTrailers Interview (2:00 P.M. PDT)
(These two tend to be very information leaky.)

June 8th:
Know Apperances:
-ME3 Live Demo On EA.com (2:00 P.M. PDT) [This seems to be 2.5 hours long]

Potential Information:
-Something on http://store.origin.com/ though I have no idea when that will go up.

GameSpot hasn't put up their live show schedule.

Pre

So will this be an RPG like the first game or Gears of Mass Effect 2?

I keed, I keed. Sort of.

Top Bottom