• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 E3 Recap Thread

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The Cerberus thing works for me, it makes sense that Martin Sheen would be mad at me for exploding the giant reaper skeleton monster that I defeated since he wanted it for [REDCHOICE] science.

This is probably his way to get back at Shepard, by trying to stop her from preventing the complete annihilation of the human race.

Van Buren said:
Didn't the Doctors state that the entire trilogy's story was planned out from the start ? I recall something to this effect during the lead up to ME1's launch. I should have probably taken it with a grain of salt then.
If I remember correctly it was in an interview with Casey Hudson in an EGM preview for ME1. He mentioned that it was planed as a trilogy and there was going to be multiple endings in the finale game depending on all your decisions from the entire series.

This thread has some gameplay info that didn't get many responses
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432190
I'll just repost what I said.

Then there are the grenades. Mass Effect 3 sees a series debut for actual, round, conventional grenades.

Disappointing that they are not using the original frisbee grenades. The more the series goes forward, the tech seems to go backward.

Jarmel

Banned
Nirolak said:
Okay, so far I have:

June 6th:
Known Appearances:
-Microsoft Press Conference (9:30 A.M. PDT)
-EA Press Conference (12:30 P.M. PDT)
-ME3 Live Demo On GameTrailers (1:30 P.M. PDT) [Different demo than the EA Press Conference]

Potential Information:

June 7th:
Known Appearances:
-ME3 Live Demo On IGN (1:00 P.M. PDT) [30 Minutes]
-ME3 Live Demo On G4TV (4:00 P.M. PDT Or Later)

Potential Information:
-John Riccitiello GameTrailers Interview (10:00 A.M. PDT)
-Frank Gibeau GameTrailers Interview (2:00 P.M. PDT)
(These two tend to be very information leaky.)

GameSpot hasn't put up their live show schedule.

Oh shit that's alot of ME today. Also didn't expect the Microsoft Press conference so early in the morning.

Chiggs said:
And lazy. Just like Bioware.

Yeah... but I can't think of one time they wrote a huge story that made sense all the way to the end. Popcorn flicks! Or actually C-Grade movies on Syfy... with a significantly larger budget.

Jarmel said:
Thanks for that. Do you know if the Gametrailers live demo has an open chat?
The only thing I know... is that after E3 not much about ME3 will be a secret... good thing I don't care enough about the story to be spoiled.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Jarmel said:
Thanks for that. Do you know if the Gametrailers live demo has an open chat?
I'm unsure.

EA's (2.5 hour? Seems plausible since DICE's is 4 hours.) event seems to though.

Jarmel

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
The only thing I know... is that after E3 not much about ME3 will be a secret... good thing I don't care enough about the story to be spoiled.

It seems they're showing off alot more compared to ME2. Hopefully they're further along compared to ME2 which gives them more time for polish and extra stuff.

Nirolak said:
I'm unsure.

EA's (2.5 hour? Seems plausible since DICE's is 4 hours.) event seems to though.

Thanks. I'm also guessing the EA event will probably be open chat. Jesus though at the 4 hour Dice event.

Jarmel

Banned
HK-47 said:
Why? Its a valid point.

Because we don't know the reasons behind it. That would be like me critcizing ME2 for the Cerberus aspect based off of ME1 without knowing the reasons behind it.

Jarmel said:
Because we don't know the reasons behind it. That would be like me critcizing ME2 for the Cerberus aspect based off of ME1 without knowing the reasons behind it.
I'll give one good reason I know HK will back me up on.

Shitty storytelling.

Acidote

I just hope the ME3 E3 threads will not be infected with the Tali/Garrush disgusting trash we've seen before.

Jarmel

Banned
Acidote said:
I just hope the ME3 E3 threads will not be infected with the Tali/Garrush disgusting trash we've seen before.

Let me pull up that Wrex pic. Brb.

Thunder Monkey said:
I'll give one good reason I know HK will back me up on.

Shitty storytelling.

I can already think up a couple of theories that would explain the Cerberus twist. Would that require competent writing (something Bioware has been iffy on)? Yes.

Jarmel said:
Let me pull up that Wrex pic. Brb.

I can already think up a couple of theories that would explain the Cerberus twist. Would that require competent writing (something Bioware has been iffy on)? Yes.
Yeah, I know.

I just think the worst possible explanation will be the likely one.

That Prothean artifact that tells the story of a very early human meeting a Prothean research droid, was the Protheans hedging their bets. Humans are special because of them. Humans are part Prothean or some such stuff. Here's another, the Illusive Man was indoctrinated in ME2. Or he's the human form of the Reaper God or something.

Jarmel

Banned
HK-47 said:
Dont we already know why? TIM got Reaper teched in that stupid comic by Walters.

If that is indeed the reason then I will be one of the first to criticize that for shitty writing as it wouldn't explain why Cerberus would follow TIM. You would need all of Cerberus to be indoctrinated.

Thunder Monkey said:
I just think the worst possible explanation will be the likely one.

That Prothean artifact that tells the story of a very early human meeting a Prothean research droid, was the Protheans hedging their bets. Humans are special because of them. Humans are part Prothean or some such stuff. Here's another, the Illusive Man was indoctrinated in ME2. Or he's the human form of the Reaper God or something.

Unfortunately that's probably true. I'm not going to crucify them for the twist just yet though.

Lakitu

st5fu
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SY06W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Date set as March 6, 2012.

412klMR01JL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Premium metal case featuring commemorative artwork of Commander Shepard
70-page hardbound art book featuring hundreds of unique and gorgeous illustrations from the BioWare development team plus an exclusive 4x6 lithographic print featuring a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork
Limited edition Mass Effect comic by Dark Horse Comics, complete with unique cover artwork
Join the ranks of the N7 with the premium fabric N7 patch
A full collection of in-game content that can't be found anywhere else!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Hey, March, my guess was right!

I suspect that Mass Effect and Dragon Age will release in March in alternating years henceforth.

Being the last of the trilogy, I figure I might as well splash out on it.

Just bought the regular versions of ME1 and ME2.

Bought. Got the previous 2 CE's, this one will complement the awesomeness.

Though I won't be opening up the artbook while the game's installing, this time around. I spoiled the appearance of the Human Reaper for myself last time. At least that kept me from groaning out loud at the end, I guess. :lol

Grisby

Nice CE. I'll prolly end up getting it.

Maybe my gamestop will give me a discount if I recommend their store.

Lime

Aquavelvaman said:
Might buy the CE on PC if the game isn't available day 1 from steam

Don't count on it. EA's Origin will probably have ME3 as a DD exclusive of some sort.

Jenga

Banned
Jarmel said:
I missed the video as I was sleeping. Please god tell me there is a link somewhere.
all you missed is now you can tell tali you want to love her in real life

Jenga said:
all you missed is now you can tell tali you want to love her in real life

I laughed.

The demo was disappointing. Hopefully outside of the Microsoft conference there's less focus on a lame gimmick and more on the actual game itself.

I'm not one to use this phrase a lot, as I feel it's used too commonly when discussing games....but actually speaking dialogue gives me a hyper strong sense of uncanny valley. You read the dialogue choice...then Shepard speaks directly after, saying something completely different?

Making it so that Shepard doesn't say something after you speak the dialogue would help...but Biowares whole thing with this franchise has been that Shepard doesn't really say exactly what you think. They also have to account for 90 percent of the people that won't be using kinect with this.

And then you have those times when he talks without you saying anything...just very strange looking to me.

I'm not sure if this feature was put in for immersion, or if they think it's easier to speak then to move your thumbs, or if they just thought it was "fucking cool" or what.....

I think it's really cool that Bioware is implementing this. Don't get me wrong, obviously somebody was going to try something like this and I can't think of many that would be better suited to give it a shot (As Bioware still makes dialogue heavy games). But...that looked very weird to me. Obviously, they are adding this to a franchise and to a game that started out without Kinect in mind, I'm sure that Bioware and other studios will improve it, but my initial impression based on the short demo can only be described as creepy.

Maybe when you play it yourself it's better.

With all that said....I personally like the combat kinect controls. Nothing against that. If my hearing was correct, I don't believe that Shepard says anything when you give combat orders. Also, it's obviously more natural, giving short concise orders like that is far more compatible with kinect right now than trying to have a freaking conversation.

Top Bottom