• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is supposedly running a chip based on the RV770 according to endgadget.

Didn't see it posted yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/14/wii-u-has-last-gen-radeon-inside-still-more-powerful-than-ps3-a/

Now details about the custom Radeon GPU are starting to surface and, while certainly capable, it's not exactly cutting edge. At its heart is a chip similar to the R770 found in AMD's last-gen cards like the 4890 and, before you dismiss the it, remember the PS3 and Xbox 360 are still capable of pumping out impressive visuals while packing five-year-old silicon (The 360 is essentially running a souped up ATI X1900). The custom core also supports Direct X 10.1 (Microsoft runs out of steam with Direct X 9) and Eyefinity-like multi-display tech for up to four SD video streams -- though it'll be up to Nintendo and developers to put that to good use.

Mod Edit:

Here are the RV770 cards, assuming they literally mean RV770 instead of just R700 in general:

Radeon HD 4870 RV770XT
Radeon HD 4850 RV770PRO
Radeon HD 4830 RV770LE
Radeon HD 4730 RV770CE

This helps narrow it down, but isn't a definitive answer.

My own edit:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...essing_units#Radeon_R700_.28HD_4xxx.29_series

guek

Banned
Guerrillas in the Mist said:
So a custom GPU based on several year old tech? Pretty much what was expected.

honestly, that's likely going to be the norm for all new consoles from here on out.

A 4890 is orders of magnitude more powerful than the 360/ps3 though. Kinda odd considering the "50% more powerful" statement.

Fularu

Banned
steadfast said:
Capable, but not mind-blowing. If true, it's faster and has more options than xbox/ps3, but not cutting edge or leap forward as some want to believe
My 4890 is more than just "capable".

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Here are the RV770 cards:

Radeon HD 4870 RV770XT
Radeon HD 4850 RV770PRO
Radeon HD 4830 RV770LE
Radeon HD 4730 RV770CE

Given the rumored power levels, 4830 or 4730 would make the most sense, since a 4850 and 4870 would both completely decimate current generation consoles.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Shin Johnpv said:
The custom core also supports Direct X 10.1 (Microsoft runs out of steam with Direct X 9) and Eyefinity-like multi-display tech for up to four SD video streams -- though it'll be up to Nintendo and developers to put that to good use.

That's what I took from this article. This absolutely confirms the hardware is capable of pumping out data to multiple controllers.

This is huge positive news.

guek

Banned
Father_Brain said:
Isn't the source a Gamewatch article that was mostly speculation?

That's kinda what I've been thinking. An r700 has been the prevailing rumor for so long now, I wouldn't be surprised if someone eventually ran the story as fact.

XPE

Well I've been running a 4870 for a couple of years now and its done every thing ask of it.

So a 4890 should be a very capable card.

McHuj

Nothing new really.

All the chips in the R700 line are similar to the 4770. They all share the same architecture. Without knowing the clock speeds and number SPU's, you can't draw any conclusions, on the performance.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Nirolak said:
Here are the RV770 cards:

Radeon HD 4870 RV770XT
Radeon HD 4850 RV770PRO
Radeon HD 4830 RV770LE
Radeon HD 4730 RV770CE

Given the rumored power levels, 4830 or 4730 would make the most sense, since a 4850 and 4870 would both completely decimate current generation consoles.

XPE said:
Well I've been running a 4870 for a couple of years now and its done every thing ask of it.

So a 4890 should be a very capable card.

no 4890 among the RV770 lineup.

KrawlMan

xtop said:
so is this disappointing or good news? never did pay much attention to gpu's

Fantastic considering what I was expecting. Early rumors were pointing at R700 family, and most people just assumed something on the middle end like the HD4850. The HD4850 is a solid card, definitely capable of pushing 1080p / 30+ fps for any of today's games. The HD4890 is a bump up, so if this is true I'm pretty happy.

It isn't cutting edge, but it also means Wii U might not appear as dated as I previously expected.

Edit:
Clevinger said:
The 4890 doesn't use RV770

Oh...weak. Not that the 4870 or 4850 are bad.

Is this actually confirmed news or somebody going off of old IGN rumors?

Azure J

Thank you based AMD. RV770 is pretty damn good for a baseline, but without info on the clocks, RAM type and quantity, we still have a bit more speculation to go for. The confirmation helps though.

TheExodu5

Banned
Just take a look at the Zelda and Nature tech demos to know that the WiiU is a very capable console. It won't have the horsepower to push out those kinds of visuals at 1080p with 4x AA, but if we retain the IQ standards of the previous generation (ugh), we should see some pretty stunning stuff. I hope this results in some much better looking PC ports.

The lighting in those demos (in particular, the nature demo) is bleeding edge, so the GPU has some serious shading power, at the very least.

The RV770 GPU is a 1 to 1.2 TeraFLOP little beast, it's 4-5 times more powerful than the Xenos GPU (240 GFLOPs) in Xbox 360, and RSX in PS3, in terms of shader performance. Yet because of the other reports, I doubt it's the actual RV770 GPU being the basis for Wii U's GPU. It's looking like one of the lower-end Rx7xx models. I hope that's untrue though, I really hope Wii U's GPU in indeed based on RV770.

So fits in with the "not next gen" and "50% more powerful than PS3/360" rumours?

Sounds like it will be based on tech which is a few years old, so a more powerful version of current gen consoles rather than 'next gen' 10 times leap in power.

guek

Banned
bobbychalkers said:
So what does this mean in Dragon Ball terms?

if it's a 4890?

VegetaAscendedSuperSaiyanEp155.png

ascended saiyan. it can kick lots of android ass, but still can't match up to perfect cell (the ps4? DUN DUN DUUUUUN!)

Truth101

Banned
Plinko said:
That's what I took from this article. This absolutely confirms the hardware is capable of pumping out data to multiple controllers.

This is really exciting, I love the new controller for the Wii U and being able to have four supported would make it killer.

Edit:

Nice to see the familiar faces of some returning Trolls, business as usual for them.

tea_and_crumpets said:
Sounds like it will be based on tech which is a few years old, so a more powerful version of current gen consoles rather than 'next gen' 10 times leap in power.

I doubt we'll get something like a 5x leap ever again.

Plinko said:

It doesn't just work like that though.

Firstly, Nintendo has to ensure that the Wii can wirelessly transmit the different displays to multiple controllers.

Secondly, developers will probably have to limit exactly what they display on multiple controllers - rendering 3D graphics to 2-4 controller screens whilst also doing the same in HD on the TV screen is going to put one hell of a load on the Wii U.

In fact, one could argue that the extra graphical power of the Wii U will be negated by the fact it also has the additional load of rendering whatever is displayed on the controller screen. Of course, most games will probably just use the Wii U controller screen for a 2D input display.

methodman

Banned
Truth101 said:
This is really exciting, I love the new controller for the Wii U and being able to have four supported would make it killer.
Seriously though. Four player strategy/ RTS games, each player controlling his area of land, with one huge map on the tv would be killer. I can imagine so Many different games that could use 4 screens

RV770 is not orders of magnitude more powerful than the GPUs in 360/PS3, but it's still much more powerful. We need more info though. number of stream processors/shader units, ROPs/render back-ends, texture units, external bus width, clockspeeds, embedded memory (if any), etc. We still have very little idea of what Wii U's GPU is truly capable of. The tech demos (bird/garden, zelda) are the only clues, but those were running on non-final dev kits. There's so much we *don't* yet know.....

Top Bottom