• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is supposedly running a chip based on the RV770 according to endgadget.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
AlexMeloche said:
I doubt we'll get something like a 5x leap ever again.
Buying in bulk you could get something like the 4850 for $50-$70, so unless Sony is making a cataclysmic change in their product development strategy relative to the Vita, they'll probably even go higher than that.

I'm kind of more surprised it seems Nintendo didn't get that since it's so cheap and much more future proof, but perhaps the 50% rumors are wrong.

XPE

Corky said:
no 4890 among the RV770 lineup.

Then the wii u will not be using a 4890 then.

I've got the 4870 and like I said it run every thing I've ask of it from Crysis to Bad company 2, Tho I haven’t tried the witcher 2 yet.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Clunker said:
I would say about 6.7 GameCubes, or three Wiis duct-taped to 2/3rds of a GameCube and a calculator watch.
But how does it look like if we use the DBZ lore as a mesure?

guek

Banned
methodman said:
Seriously though. Four player strategy/ RTS games, each player controlling his area of land, with one huge map on the tv would be killer. I can imagine so Many different games that could use 4 screens

You should still be able to do something like that over the interwebs even if you can't do it locally.

Instro said:
We are just going to go back and forth between good and bad rumors every day arnt we?

ayup

Neo C.

Instro said:
We are just going to go back and forth between good and bad rumors every day arnt we?
Depending on your POV, every good rumor could be bad and every bad rumor could be good as well. It's like a dog hunting its own tail.

Randy

So Wii U will also be sweating when running a game like Witcher 2 on max? (Like my 4890... :()

Either way, I like the idea of Mario & Zelda artstyles in HD.

Instro

Neo C. said:
Depending on your POV, every good rumor could be bad and every bad rumor could be good as well. It's like a dog hunting its own tail.
Thank you Nintendo for not releasing any information on this console. We will have WiiU speculation threads running for the next year now.

Mr_Brit

Banned
SephCast said:
So are we talking about a graphics difference of say....Xbox 1 and Dreamcast?
Assuming it's running one of these cards I'd say around 4-5x more powerful than PS3/360 GPU wise.

Sianos

So, we're back to the rumor where Wii U is going to be really powerful and blow away the 360/PS3?

Are you sure Nintendo isn't actually making two sperate consoles?

Pocks

From develop-online

“Crytek’s support for Wii U is definitely going to happen,” company CEO Cevat Yerli told Develop in a new interview to be published soon.

Yerli claimed that CryEngine's tech was close to fully running on Nintendo’s new system, though wouldn’t specify any details.

“We aren't showing it but we are pretty much running it already,” Yerli said.

Good to see that Crytek already has devkits, considering Irrational Games didn't have one as of E3.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Monty Mole said:
It doesn't just work like that though.

Firstly, Nintendo has to ensure that the Wii can wirelessly transmit the different displays to multiple controllers.

Secondly, developers will probably have to limit exactly what they display on multiple controllers - rendering 3D graphics to 2-4 controller screens whilst also doing the same in HD on the TV screen is going to put one hell of a load on the Wii U.

In fact, one could argue that the extra graphical power of the Wii U will be negated by the fact it also has the additional load of rendering whatever is displayed on the controller screen. Of course, most games will probably just use the Wii U controller screen for a 2D input display.

Where did I say it didn't have to meet all those parameters?

That's why they put this in the article:
Eyefinity-like multi-display tech for up to four SD video streams -- though it'll be up to Nintendo and developers to put that to good use.

guek

Banned
shadyspace said:
SSJ2 Gohan to the PS3 and 360's Ascended Sayian Trunks.

naw man, naw. See, SSJ1 is the advent of HD capable machines. The Wii was just kaio-ken x2 (gamecubes). Ascended saiyan is a half generational leap from the current HD twins to the true next gen level, the badassery that is SSJ2 gohan. When SSJ3 is reached, the entire planet will quake in terror, and it's power will be felt thousands of lightyears away on the kai homeworld.

Fugu

SephCast said:
So are we talking about a graphics difference of say....Xbox 1 and Dreamcast?
No, the R770 series is several times more powerful than the X1900 XT in the X360 and is an even more collossal jump from what's in the Wii. This announcement is sort of a mixed bag because this is a potent card, but they so easily could have gone better. I've had two of these (4870x2) for years, so the console that I'd be buying in the future is somewhere around half of what my PC is currently capable.

Effect

Pocks said:
From develop-online

Good to see that Crytek already has devkits, considering Irrational Games didn't have one as of E3.

Middleware developers most likely were the first ones to get it outside of the top three publishers (EA, Activision, and Ubisoft) and Nintendo's teams.

Neo C.

Instro said:
Thank you Nintendo for not releasing any information on this console. We will have WiiU speculation threads running for the next year now.
Uh, it really doesn't matter. We have specs for Gamecube, but I've met regularly guys who thinks the PS2 were way stronger than the Cube. Specs therefore don't matter because most gamers aren't really tech savvy.

guek

Banned
Fugu said:
No, the R770 series is several times more powerful than the X1900 XT in the X360 and is an even more collossal jump from what's in the Wii. This announcement is sort of a mixed bag because this is a potent card, but they so easily could have gone better. I've had two of these (4870x2) for years, so the console that I'd be buying in the future is somewhere around half of what my PC is currently capable.

that's not necessarily true. keep in mind we're talking about an optimized and closed off development setting. The 360 and PS3 are capable of some pretty wicked shit that's relatively impressive even to this day. I'm not sure if it'd be be able to match your current set up or not, but but I think it'd exceed your expectations (at least eventually)

Arozay

guek said:
naw man, naw. See, SSJ1 is the advent of HD capable machines. The Wii was just kaio-ken x2 (gamecubes). Ascended saiyan is a half generational leap from the current HD twins to the true next gen level, the badassery that is SSJ2 gohan. When SSJ3 is reached, the entire planet will quake in terror, and it's power will be felt thousands of lightyears away on the kai homeworld.
So the Wii U is the result of Krillin dying?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Meh. I was hoping they'd go for a DX11 level card and get some tesselation love since I thought the blossoms in that birds demo might have utilised that.

Or would it still be possible to get decent performance with that kind of a feature on from a lower level card but in an obviously non directx envrionment?

I really want to know the pixel fillrate of Wii U's GPU. That will tell us if 1080p resolution will be feasible with "high end" graphics at good framerates. The 360/PS3 both have only 4000 Mpixels (4 Gpixels) which is not good enough for 720p resolution combined with high-end graphics at good framerates. Thus all the sub-HD games, poor framrates.

The RV770 in 4870 form, had a fillrate of 12,000 Mpixels/sec (and a much higher texel fillrate). That's from the 16 ROPS * 750 MHz core clockspeed. That would be great compared to 360/PS3.

When Nvidia made RSX for Sony /PS3, they cut out half of the 16 ROPs from the NV47/G70/7800, leaving only 8 ROPs. Xenos also had just 8 ROPs, but I think it was balanced with low-cost AA, something that RSX just cannot do on its own without CELL.

I want to check the box on good-enough pixel fillrate ^__^

Instro

Neo C. said:
Uh, it really doesn't matter. We have specs for Gamecube, but I've met regularly guys who thinks the PS2 were way stronger than the Cube. Specs therefore don't matter because most gamers aren't really tech savvy.
Yeah I know, I just find it funny.

Alextended said:
Meh. I was hoping they'd go for a DX11 level card and get some tesselation love since I thought the blossoms in that birds demo might have utilised that.

Or would it still be possible to get decent performance with that kind of a feature on from a lower level card but in an obviously non directx envrionment?
It depends on how they customize the card really.

clav

PC GAF: *laughs*

Wii U's impact on game development will matter depending on console install base. If this sells well, then this console will be the new benchmark unless Microsoft/Sony push in a better system.

Nirolak said:
The console has to not set itself on fire.

Can you give me some specifics? Add more components that reduce the heat and the console won't set itself on fire. Does it have something to do with console size? I still don't get it.

Azure J

Fugu, keep in mind that in a console, this chip would have no OS overhead or any such thing to deal with and as such, developers could code it to the metal. With a good pool of RAM and a hopeful great architecture the GPU would be able to produce some fantastic stuff.

Now, on to my little question. Could it be that the reports on the system being 50% more capable than the current HD twins is either a case where dev kits aren't in the "finalized" area and they're going based off that or could it be that Nintendo might have opted to keep the clocks lowered (for power reasons I'm guessing)? I'm really finding myself hard pressed to believe that if the system is using some form of RV770 + GDDR5 ram (the current darling in graphics memory from a price, quantity, & performance standpoint) that it's overall potential is stated as being PS360.5. Those separate controller streams must be a bitch in that case.

guek said:

:lol

I love GAF. Continuing the analogy, this would also mean that while Perfect Cell (PS4/720) will have more tricks to it to get the edge, Wii U comes close in a strict brute force race for next gen.
Because seriously, who didn't think Final Flash would have ended that arc without that BS regen ability? :lol

gcubed

ssolitare said:
Can you give me some specifics. Add more components that reduce the heat and the console won't set itself on fire. Does it have something to do with console size? I still don't get it.

console size and power draw, it could be an underclocked chip to save on power/heat output to fit in the size console they are showing.

wsippel

Banned
Alextended said:

You want tessellation? Box checked.

People comparing how these cards work in their home PCs is not how it works. Running a certain chip in a closed environment like a home console and running a video card in your PC with a card based on that chip are very different things. They're going to be able to get more out of a chip in a console then you would from using the same thing in your PC.

So saying my 4870 can run this with these settings so that's what we'll get is not accurate.

clav

ssolitare said:
Can you give me some specifics? Add more components that reduce the heat and the console won't set itself on fire. Does it have something to do with console size? I still don't get it.
Cards that consume more wattage usually run very hot.

From the PC gaming viewpoint, each card generation has advertised itself stating it runs less wattage than the previous one. To give you an idea where the Wii U stands, the AMD cards are now on Radeon 6XXX.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Randy said:
So Wii U will also be sweating when running a game like Witcher 2 on max? (Like my 4890... :()

Either way, I like the idea of Mario & Zelda artstyles in HD.

Consoles are not the same as PCs! People keep forgetting the amount of shit that gets between a game and pc hardware.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Vinci said:
Translation, tech folks?
Unless is severely (but severely) down clocked and outstripped, is way stronger than "just 50%".
Nirolak said:
Given the rumored power levels, 4830 or 4730 would make the most sense, since a 4850 and 4870 would both completely decimate current generation consoles.
SO would the 4830 and 4730, though. The "50%" only fits if they are using a downclocked 4650.

onQ123

guek said:
honestly, that's likely going to be the norm for all new consoles from here on out.

A 4890 is orders of magnitude more powerful than the 360/ps3 though. Kinda odd considering the "50% more powerful" statement.

I think that 50% more powerful statement was about the processing power.

Top Bottom