• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U is supposedly running a chip based on the RV770 according to endgadget.

gcubed said:
console size and power draw, it could be an underclocked chip to save on power/heat output to fit in the size console they are showing.

Oh okay size that they are showing, so it's not open ended considering that one thing.

ssolitare said:
So what does wattage have to do with anything? Why are people concerned about the wattage?
Power consumption gives you clue about amount of shaders the thing might pack, based on PC video cards' power requirements.

guek

Banned
Gravijah said:
So, does that make the PC Brolly since it requires the might of multiple consoles to take it down?
4657.motivator4752687ki9.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
guek said:
The 360 and PS3 are capable of some pretty wicked shit that's relatively impressive even to this day.

But is this capable of running everything that's made for it at 60fps and 1080p? Because the 360/PS3 failed largely in that area.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
claviertekky said:
PC GAF: *laughs*

Wii U's impact on game development will matter depending on console install base. If this sells well, then this console will be the new benchmark unless Microsoft/Sony push in a better system.
None of the future consoles will touch the PC's top dogs when it comes to performance.

Alextended said:
Meh. I was hoping they'd go for a DX11 level card and get some tesselation love since I thought the blossoms in that birds demo might have utilised that.

The RV700 line of chips has a tesselator, it just doesn't use one that is DX11 compliant. Which wouldn't matter for Nintendo anyway since they don't use DX on their machines.

clav

Engadget failed in reporting though. It's not the 4890 as that's a huge difference between that and the middle end cards.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
claviertekky said:
Engadget failed in reporting though. It's not the 4890 as that's a huge difference between that and the middle end cards.
Isn't that much better than a 4870. About 20% or so.

clav

Vic said:
None of the future consoles will touch the PC's top dogs when it comes to performance.
Actually for the X360's time, it was on par with the PCs in terms of design. The embedded 10 MB RAM for shader use supposedly was a game changer.

Of course now, that fails in comparison.

Minsc

Gold Member
Lonely1 said:
Isn't that much better than a 4870. About 20% or so.

20% under Windows. What's the actual % though, you have to go to fillrate and all those other direct hardware specs.

guek

Banned
onQ123 said:
I think that 50% more powerful statement was about the processing power.

yeah possibly. The xenon is 3.2GHz tri-core...power7s run from 3.0-4.25GHz quad cores. If the wiiU is indeed a modified tri-core like rumors suggest, an ignorant look at the clock speeds might lead you to believe the wiiU is only "50%" more powerful.

Engadget's reporting really sucks. I expect more and better from them.

They don't even get the name of the chip right, it's RV770, not R770.

This sucks because we still know almost nothing.

Azure J

I for one feel happy that GAF has adopted the "Dragonball Z characters per power output" approach to defining console ability. That's a metric anyone can understand. :lol

Massa

Minsc said:
But is this capable of running everything that's made for it at 60fps and 1080p? Because the 360/PS3 failed largely in that area.

The only way it will run games at 1080p and 60fps is if they're not made for it, but for weaker hardware instead. The 360/PS3 didn't fail anything, developers choose to optimize the resources they have available in a way that doesn't favor the resolution and framerate you want.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
claviertekky said:
Actually for the X360's time, it was on par with the PCs in terms of design. The embedded 10 MB RAM for shader use supposedly was a game changer.
Power budget for discrete GPU has increased considerably since 2005.

Guerrillas in the Mist said:
So a custom GPU based on several year old tech? Pretty much what was expected.

PS3 used/uses a modified 7900 series... it's the same they did a generation ago.
The rv770 is several miles ahead of the 7900 series.

DSN2K

if it is what they say then yeah its far far better then the GPU's in the PS3 and 360, but then frankly it should be its been 5 years...even budget Cards whip them.

Dennis

Banned
What is the news?

We heard this rumor weeks ago and debated it here on GAF.

As far as I can tell this adds nothing new.

Minsc

Gold Member
Massa said:
The only way it will run games at 1080p and 60fps is if they're not made for it, but for weaker hardware instead. The 360/PS3 didn't fail anything, developers choose to optimize the resources they have available in a way that doesn't favor the resolution and framerate you want.

Well a lot of people think next gen will run everything at 1080p and 60fps. You have a point, a lot of developers may not want their games to run 1080p + 60fps over being able to improve other things at the cost of resolution/framerate.

methodman said:
Seriously though. Four player strategy/ RTS games, each player controlling his area of land, with one huge map on the tv would be killer. I can imagine so Many different games that could use 4 screens

Makes more sense to have the map on the controller and the gameplay on your TV.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Lonely1 said:
Unless is severely (but severely) down clocked and outstripped, is way stronger than "just 50%".
SO would the 4830 and 4730, though. The "50%" only fits if they are using a downclocked 4650.
Honestly this whole thing makes no sense unless the cards are currently heavily downclocked.

wsippel

Banned
Nirolak said:
Honestly this whole thing makes no sense unless the cards are currently heavily downclocked.
Maybe they currently use 55nm PC GPUs, downclocked to not set the cases on fire.

Azure J

DeaconKnowledge said:
Haha, good one Vinci.

I'm mildly annoyed that we'll know everything about this system's specs and potential before launch, whereas no one will get hands on with the online stuff until weeks/months afterward. =/

Minsc said:
Well a lot of people think next gen will run everything at 1080p and 60fps. You have a point, a lot of developers may not want their games to run 1080p + 60fps over being able to improve other things at the cost of resolution/framerate.

This must be a standard. If not, we're talking about technical prowess for nothing.

"Oh yeah, the PS4 and X720 will be more power than the WiiU technically, but they will remain under the 1080p and 60Hz for design issues."

'Cause if that's been the main problem of developers (focusing on other things rather than better resolution and framerate) absolutely everything we said in the "last generation" was bullshit.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Nirolak said:
The 50% statement is inconsistent with pretty much all the rumored specs. So they either got something wrong, or the rumored specs are all wrong.

Minsc said:
Well a lot of people think next gen will run everything at 1080p and 60fps.
I'd say they'd better stop hoping.

ssolitare said:
Oh okay size that they are showing, so it's not open ended considering that one thing.
However, the console overall is larger than the Wii and all of the GameCube tech has been cut out. Overall volume of the console would seem to be a pretty healthy bump.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
guek said:

Is anybody else disgusted by who these kids picked as "superheroes?"

Back on topic, the Wii U power news seems like a pendulum. At least this is some decent news, maybe.

RedSwirl

Zaro said:
So the Wii U is the result of Krillin dying?

No, that would make the PS3/360 the result of Krillin dying. Given that, the Wii U would be the result of Vegeta and Trunks' time in the hyperbolic time chamber.

Darkman M said:
You are not running the witcher 2 max on a 4890 lol (i tried)

Doesn't mean anything in a closed environment.

Your PC performance with similar parts does not equal what those parts can do in a closed environment.

Neo C.

Nirolak said:
I'll stay pessimistic and say it's heavily downclocked. After all, the console is quite small.

Massa

Minsc said:

1080p, sure; I doubt 60fps will ever be a standard for console games.

Minsc

Gold Member
Shin Johnpv said:
Doesn't mean anything in a closed environment.

Your PC performance with similar parts does not equal what those parts can do in a closed environment.

His PC doesn't even equal what other PCs (with 4890s) can do, ultra @ 20-40fps.

It was sorta all a joke anyway I figured, since it's running on a 360 which is slower than the Wii U.

THE:MILKMAN

This is how I see it............

PS3: RSX= "mediocre" CELL= "very good" 256MB-XDR+256MB-GDDR3

360: XENOS= "great" XENON= "mediocre" 512MB GDDR3

WU: GPU= "very good/excellent" CPU= "very good/excellent (hoping for 1GB GDDR5)

The WU should be a nicely balanced system relative to the HD twins and quite powerful. Though not 2x/5x or 50% better. From third parties we should see some nice stuff. I do wish Nintendo would setup a team to do a more realistic game though (something like Uncharted) to balance out the "classic" games.

Top Bottom