• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation Thread of Brains Beware: Wii U Re-Unveiling At E3 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShockingAlberto said:
You're completely illogical fears are confirmed!

The Wii U will clearly be on par with PS360 because that line from that article says so. The code has been cracked. Nevermind that this would basically be impossible at the moment and is at odds with other developer comments. That's not important.

Now we finally know it will not surpass the PS360 thanks to this line not actually said by Rocksteady so we can put this debate to rest forever.

Hehe.

Jaded Alyx said:
It could look quite different?

[BurntPork mode on]So that basically means it'll have a cartoony style like the Wii version of GhostBusters. Yep, this thing is gonna bankrupt Nintendo. [BurntPork mode off]

Cell Shaded to look like TAS.

I would buy a billion copies.

BurntPork

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
[BurntPork mode on]So that basically means it'll have a cartoony style like the Wii version of GhostBusters. Yep, this thing is gonna bankrupt Nintendo. [BurntPork mode off]
tumblr_le9fyshXj81qesc3io1_500.png

BurntPork

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
Did you just draw this? I think it is cool if you just drew this.
No. I can't draw.

Anyway, the Arkham City thing is just marketing speak. It won't look any different
other than the GameStop-exclusive Mario skin and the Wal-Mart-exclusive Link skin

BurntPork said:
No. I can't draw.

Anyway, the Arkham City thing is just marketing speak. It won't look any different
other than the GameStop-exclusive Mario skin and the Wal-Mart-exclusive Link skin

No Samus skin?
Fail.

ShockingAlberto said:
You're completely illogical fears are confirmed!

The Wii U will clearly be on par with PS360 because that line from that article says so. The code has been cracked. Nevermind that this would basically be impossible at the moment and is at odds with other developer comments. That's not important.

Now we finally know it will not surpass the PS360 thanks to this line not actually said by Rocksteady so we can put this debate to rest forever.

Thanks for being an arse about it.

What I was trying to convey (but clearly didn't do it well enough considering your healthy dose of sarcasm), was that even though they're essentially porting over a current gen title to the WiiU, why would they say it's on par if they know it to be more powerful? I'm not doubting the system's capabilities at all - I'm merely wondering why a spokesperson for the industry seems to down play the console, especially regarding the more positive comments we've heard from other developers.

And I know, the guy isn't from Rocksteady, but he should have a pretty good idea of how the Wii U version is getting on/how well the system performs.

It's the fact he talks about the system in general, not the quality of the game in comparison.

.la1n

With what Shiggy and his crew pulled out of the Wii for Galaxy I cannot wait to see what they do with Mario (and Zelda, etc.) on Wii U. I know I'm part of the problem by getting Nintendo consoles 80% for Nintendo's titles and that is why I really hope the Wii U improves third party support.

BurntPork

Banned
Ubermatik said:
Thanks for being an arse about it.

What I was trying to convey (but clearly didn't do it well enough considering your healthy dose of sarcasm), was that even though they're essentially porting over a current gen title to the WiiU, why would they say it's on par if they know it to be more powerful? I'm not doubting the system's capabilities at all - I'm merely wondering why a spokesperson for the industry seems to down play the console, especially regarding the more positive comments we've heard from other developers.

And I know, the guy isn't from Rocksteady, but he should have a pretty good idea of how the Wii U version is getting on/how well the system performs.

It's the fact he talks about the system in general, not the quality of the game in comparison.
Protip: At least skim the article before commenting on it. *hinthint*

blu said:
Because they're essentially doing a port?

This is one of the problems with having a system only "a little more" powerful though. Mostly you will get ports that do nothing to take advantage of it. Heck even the Xbox back in the day got mostly PS2 ports.

So that would leave Nintendo first party to show us what the Wii U can do, and who knows if they're even technically capable having not done any ps360 development.

Alright, I dun goof'd.

Totally interpreted the article incorrectly - hence the confusion.

Kind of missed the bit where he talked about s need for change and used the WiiU as an example, buy instead saw the articles comment on the system's capabilities as Ginn's words. I was wring, obviously.

In light of this, the article sounds pretty promising.

Hurr durr, apologies for being a twat.

specialguy said:
This is one of the problems with having a system only "a little more" powerful though. Mostly you will get ports that do nothing to take advantage of it. Heck even the Xbox back in the day got mostly PS2 ports.

So that would leave Nintendo first party to show us what the Wii U can do, and who knows if they're even technically capable having not done any ps360 development.

It wouldn't matter how much more powerful the Wii U was.
It won't get a lot games that are tailored specifically for it.

blu said:
This is some the wackiest gaf folklore that pollutes these boards. Each time a gaffer utters it a ROP in their future 'nex-gen' console dies. Consider yourselves warned.

specialguy said:

*sees another ROP die* :(

EDarkness

AceBandage said:
It wouldn't matter how much more powerful the Wii U was.
It won't get a lot games that are tailored specifically for it.

Let's hope that there are at least some devs out there who are interested in making games specifically for the system. Three is a lot of potential there.

BurntPork said:
ITT, people don't know that "research and development" is about as literal as you can get.

I thought that meant they wait till the very last minute to learn and do anything? Or at least that's what I'm gathering from those type of responses.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
specialguy said:
Mate, the game is launching next week on the lead platforms. Power has zilch to do here - Rocksteady could be making a version for the KComputer and the game would still be a port. Nobody will redo the art assets, or recode the engine from scratch, of a recently-launched title, just to make use of any extra power the new platform has to offer, regardless how much or little that extra is. They will try to put the upad to some use, though, and if that takes extra power, the dev will gladly use that provided the system packs that. That's as far as it will go, though - the game will be tailored to wiiu features, not wiiu performance characteristics.

smh.mng

blu said:
Mate, the game is launching next week on the lead platforms. Power has zilch to do here - Rocksteady could be making a version for the KComputer and the game would still be a port. Nobody will redo the art assets, or recode the engine from scratch, of a recently-launched title, just to make use of any extra power the new platform has to offer, regardless how much or little that extra is. They will try to put the upad to some use, though, and if that takes extra power, the dev will gladly use that provided the system packs that. That's as far as it will go, though - the game will be tailored to wiiu features, not wiiu performance characteristics.

smh.mng
Why don't they port some of the PC features of the game then, it has better textures, effects, DX11, tesselation, if the Wii U is more powerful they could at least port some of those over.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Kermit The Frog said:
Why don't they port some of the PC features of the game then, it has better textures, effects, DX11, tesselation, if the Wii U is more powerful they could at least port some of those over.
They just as well might with some of those, depending on their priorities, i.e. aside from things like 'dx11' and dx11-specific effects which have no relevance here, and things that otherwise may be only viable on the PC's superior asset transports (low latency/massive bw external storage ftw). Heck, they could just up the output res and/or improve the framerate on the Wiiu, if nothing else. But that will in no way make the title a power case for the Wiiu. Something that Little Johny will look up at in admiration over the rest of his toys, and post on message boards 'Man, that Wiiu is a powerhouse!'. Just like any other upport in the history of consoles has not made a power case for any of its late targets, regardless of PC versions.

Boerseun

Banned
Jaded Alyx said:
It could look quite different?

StevieP said:
The Wii version of ghostbusters was the better one.

Yep. And not only by a small margin.

Just another reason why the Wiimote must be supported. In fact could you imagine a Ghostbusters game where the Wiimote is the Proton pack and the Upad is the PKE meter? One of the analogs on the Upad could be used to move the character.

Also I completely missed this first go around, but this was pointed out by Tkscz on another board. It comes from the old Game Watch article about the GPU in the dev kit.

http://translate.google.com/transla...s.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20110611_452478.html

By the way, say system RADEON HD4000, but does not have to RADEON HD4890 high-end RADEON HD4350 low-end AMD and it is beyond the 1TFLOPS performance arithmetic I had information from another system, in the specifications middle RADEON HD4000 series instead of the range class may be close to high-end systems based perhaps RADEON HD4800.

The only one that is beyond a TFLOP and not a 4890 is the 4870. That would definitely explain the early heat issues.

AzaK

bgassassin said:
Also I completely missed this first go around, but this was pointed out by Tkscz on another board. It comes from the old Game Watch article about the GPU in the dev kit.

http://translate.google.com/transla...s.co.jp/docs/series/3dcg/20110611_452478.html

The only one that is beyond a TFLOP and not a 4890 is the 4870. That would definitely explain the early heat issues.

Wow, that's a really interesting article. I can't remember if it was mentioned before in this thread and if any of it was debunked, but it seems pretty detailed. SM1.4, DX 10.1 and a Tessellation unit??

In summary, the system is also equipped with Wii U GPU RADEON HD4000, tessellation unit in the form of the equivalent system implementation RADEON HD2000/3000/4000 (Tessereta) that he should have been installed.

Can someone explain to me if this means that it is a real tessellation unit or something else?

AzaK said:
Wow, that's a really interesting article. I can't remember if it was mentioned before in this thread and if any of it was debunked, but it seems pretty detailed. SM1.4, DX 10.1 and a Tessellation unit??

Can someone explain to me if this means that it is a real tessellation unit or something else?

It wasn't debunked, we just pretty much acknowledged it confirmed what we heard elsewhere and moved on. That part of the article wasn't discussed here though. At least I know I missed that part. About the only thing to take from the mentioning of Shader Model and DX is the type of card in the dev kit as Nintendo would not use them. And those cards have always had a tessellation unit, but it has a fixed factor of 15.

AzaK

bgassassin said:
It wasn't debunked, we just pretty much acknowledged it confirmed what we heard elsewhere and moved on. That part of the article wasn't discussed here though. At least I know I missed that part. About the only thing to take from the mentioning of Shader Model and DX is the type of card in the dev kit as Nintendo would not use them. And those cards have always had a tessellation unit, but it has a fixed factor of 15.

Cool, thanks. I realise Nintendo don't actually do DX but the feature set interests me in comparison to what we have at the moment, and the tessellation did intrigue me. I haven't done any graphics programming since the Voodoo1 days so I'm very out of touch with the tech, and what a factor of 15 would mean. Might be time to educate myself I think.

seady

I have never been this disinterested in a Nintendo new system. I was excited at the Gamecube, at the Wii, at the 3DS (I even bought all of them on Day 1)… but for this, this doesn't feel fresh at all. Throwing a screen onto a controller, with a tech that is only comparable to 360/PS3 that we've been seeing for 6 years, is really not that interesting…

I really hope I will be more excited as more is revealed.

TunaLover said:
Could it able to add DirectX 11 features with some tweeks?

sure, if they "tweaked" the launch to a later date and "tweaked" the GPU to be something which it is not.

basically if they threw the current design in the trash and started with a clean sheet.

^ Well that was pretty asinine.

TunaLover said:
Could it able to add DirectX 11 features with some tweeks?

Yes and easily. But Nintendo will more than like use a variation of OpenGL (side note: 4.2 was released this year), and they can add extensions to accomplish what they

AzaK said:
Cool, thanks. I realise Nintendo don't actually do DX but the feature set interests me in comparison to what we have at the moment, and the tessellation did intrigue me. I haven't done any graphics programming since the Voodoo1 days so I'm very out of touch with the tech, and what a factor of 15 would mean. Might be time to educate myself I think.

Yeah. I didn't/haven't studied anything beyond the hardware part in this area to talk about it. But if you want to understand a little about the difference starting with the 5000 series, then here is a link I posted awhile back.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20100210/tes...n-opengl-radeon-hd-5000-tessellators-details/

bgassassin said:
^ Well that was pretty asinine.

it will be able to accomplish DX11 effects in the same way that current consoles do. scale everything back, blur all the effects, lower the resolution, etc. etc.

if you're expecting it to run say the "Stone Giant" demo or Unigine "Heaven" demo, I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed. but by all means, don't let that stop your ad hominem attacks on me. it makes me look quite good, to your detriment.

Daschysta

MrBelmontvedere said:
it will be able to accomplish DX11 effects in the same way that current consoles do. scale everything back, blur all the effects, lower the resolution, etc. etc.

if you're expecting it to run say the "Stone Giant" demo or Unigine "Heaven" demo, I'm afraid you'll be sorely disappointed. but by all means, don't let that stop your ad hominem attacks on me. it makes me look quite good, to your detriment.

Do you know what ad hominem means?

You're stupid, therefore your argument is wrong.

That's ad hominem, pointing out your statement as being asinine is not ad hominem.

BurntPork

Banned
By the way, say system RADEON HD4000, but does not have to RADEON HD4890 high-end RADEON HD4350 low-end AMD and it is beyond the 1TFLOPS performance arithmetic I had information from another system, in the specifications middle RADEON HD4000 series instead of the range class may be close to high-end systems based perhaps RADEON HD4800.

gaijin4koma2_peersblog_1200684608.jpg

In summary, the system is also equipped with Wii U GPU RADEON HD4000, tessellation unit in the form of the equivalent system implementation RADEON HD2000/3000/4000 (Tessereta) that he should have been installed.

gaijin4koma_peersblog_1200684654.jpg

I have the weirdest half boner right now.

^ Just take it for what it is BP. The kit most likely had an off the shelf 4870 in it. I sincerely doubt it would stick with the old, old tess unit.

MrBelmontvedere said:

I don't know you personally to call you asinine. But I do know what you said is asinine. It's like some people don't understand the concept of an alpha dev kit.

bgassassin But Nintendo will more than like use a variation of OpenGL (side note: 4.2 was released this year) said:
Will?? Nintendo has been using GL and custom API's since the GC and N64. GL+ extensions, custom API are sure things.

BurntPork

Banned
bgassassin said:
^ Just take it for what it is BP. The kit most likely had an off the shelf 4870 in it. I sincerely doubt it would stick with the old, old tess unit.
I hope they won't, but would you really put it past them?

BurntPork

Banned
Daschysta said:
Nintendo always heavily customizes their parts, it would be more odd for them to leave it as is, rather than change it.
Yes, but Nintendo does some odd shit. Wii is the #1 console for Netflix, so you would think Nintendo would add DVD and Blu-Ray playback to Wii U to expand on that success. That only makes sense, and yet...

Daschysta

BurntPork said:
Yes, but Nintendo does some odd shit. Wii is the #1 console for Netflix, so you would think Nintendo would add DVD and Blu-Ray playback to Wii U to expand on that success. That only makes sense, and yet...

Well playback is consistent with what nintendo has always done, it's not odd when framing it in terms of what nintendo "typically does". Nintendo doesn't really gimp hardware graphically unless they are doing it on purpose (wii)

BurntPork

Banned
Daschysta said:
Well playback is consistent with what nintendo has always done, it's not odd when framing it in terms of what nintendo "typically does". Nintendo doesn't really gimp hardware graphically unless they are doing it on purpose (wii)
But by that logic, Netflix in inconsistent with what they've done. The same goes for the Wii's, DSi's, and 3DS's music playback.

Tieing into what Shanadeus said above I think a cool use of the Upad would be for people who are not playing the game to place bets. Like during a fighting or sports game it would compare the two contestants W:L records and give odds. Or in a shooter the K:D ratio on the map and people could bet over under on what will happen that game. Really in competitive genre should work.

Then as people watch the match they could bet on the outcome of the match. The winner getting a percentage of the winnings depending on his record and how well he did. The observers could then either give their winnings to the players or transfer them to their account. These could then be used to unlock stuff in the game, or upgrading equipment, unlocking special stuff on the console.

BurntPork said:

DVD and Blu-Ray require paying royalties to consortiums, and having a primary disc slot that reads from off-the-shelf disc formats (piracy risk), and allowing format consortiums to dictate hardware design decisions (DVD Playback was dropped from the Wii during development because Nintendo didn't want to add an optical audio port, which the DVD consortium required) in order to provide a service that most of their audience already has a device that plays that format anyway. Blu-Ray would also mean that Nintendo would have to allow Blu-Ray firmware updates, and I don't see them being open to a third party having access to their firmware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom