• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The LEGO Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Isn't lego.com an option then?

actually if you pick a recent set with that piece in, and go to lego.com and 'lost a part', there is a chance lego will just send it to you for free. I did that for a fairly large wedge plate missing from a set I bought on ebay, expecting to pay a small amount for it, but they just posted it for free.

How expensive was Cafe Corner?

probably cost me £200, but I had a bunch of pieces already, plus I ordered inefficiently, so you can't really take that as a guide. Most of the pieces are fairly common, but the roof (dark red) is very expensive because they are rare. Either change the colour to cheaper ones, or you can buy those from lego.com for a reasonable price.

well some sellers have an minimum piece/dollar limit, plus there's cost of shipping.

Bricklink is good for ordering in bulk, like I am for the UCS Falcon, but it seems kind of wasteful for just one piece.

If I'm just ordering a few pieces, how reasonable is Bricklink for shipping?

Fake edit: Ok, it looks like it's a marketplace with a ton of sellers, so clearly it'll vary.

actually if you pick a recent set with that piece in, and go to lego.com and 'lost a part', there is a chance lego will just send it to you for free. I did that for a fairly large wedge plate missing from a set I bought on ebay, expecting to pay a small amount for it, but they just posted it for free.

I'm thinking about doing this, but while bricklink says some sets have Light Bluish Gray, the Lego site has a different name for the color and I don't know if they're the same.

magawolaz

The LOTR minifigs look amazing:

(pictures from ftbt)

6865882129_dddd0f7d45.jpg

6865889397_393eb650ab.jpg

6865896985_a29717971b.jpg

6865871159_0d99d5b0ea.jpg

6865735689_07ba63776a.jpg

The details are insane.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Man, they're being stingy with those minifigs for the LOTR sets.

Helm's Deep doesn't come with Legolas, and no Rohan soldiers except for Theoden...

Fox Mulder

Is this actually doable? Can you actually 100% duplicate that thing with orderable parts?

yeah, a bunch of the pieces are actually pretty cheap, and ordering in bulk for the same seller saves on some shipping. There's just a lot to buy with it being over 5,000 pieces.

The only real roadblocks to doing it is the few pieces that were exclusive to the set being rare and expensive. The Millennium Falcon dish is one. There's also two ladder pieces that come with pretty much any pirate ship, but the light bluish gray color required for this set makes each piece cost around $60.

I'm thinking about doing this, but while bricklink says some sets have Light Bluish Gray, the Lego site has a different name for the color and I don't know if they're the same.

light bluish gray is also officially called medium stone gray.

gate777

Man, they're being stingy with those minifigs for the LOTR sets.

Helm's Deep doesn't come with Legolas, and no Rohan soldiers except for Theoden...

The battle in the mines of Moria doesn't come with Aragorn, Frodo, Gandalf, Merry or Sam. Only Gimli, Legolas, Boromir and Pippin, along with 2 goblins and a cave troll. Extremely stingy in my opinion.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I was in a Torys R Us today and they had some of the old series 5 minifig blindbags.

Got my British Guard fig!

That's the one I wanted. :(

Out of all the LotR sets, Attack on Weathertop is probably my favourite looking one. I like how compact it is.

The battle in the mines of Moria doesn't come with Aragorn, Frodo, Gandalf, Merry or Sam. Only Gimli, Legolas, Boromir and Pippin, along with 2 goblins and a cave troll. Extremely stingy in my opinion.

Yeah, they want you to buy every set. 129$ for that nice looking Theoden :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

I'm guessing it's because it's the first round and they want to people to buy all the sets to get them...

Maybe the recent Star Wars sets have spoiled me, those things are coming with tons of figs.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Those LOTR minifigs are possibly the best minifigs I've ever seen.
I can see myself picking up some of those sets just for the minifigs, that Helm's Deep set looks pretty cool but I want Isengard and Barad-dur.

xptoxyz

The LOTR talk got me thinking. I have to read up as I don't remember, but a fewer years back when LEGO started sinking, was it the use of other creative licenses that saved the ship.

suplex

So my girlfriend is awesome and got me both Queen Anne's Revenge and Black Pearl for Valentine's day. This is in addition to the Imperial Flagship she got me for Christmas (that I haven't got around to building yet)

Looks like I got an armada to build.

Also this thread is glorious.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Picked up some Stanley sorting containers at Lowes today. Time to get more serious with my Lego sorting.

would like some pictures when you're done. And from anyone else.

We have an OK system right now, but I just bought 8 big sets, so my system will collapse when those get broken down and I need to expand it in a controlled way. its the 'special' pieces I have most problem with. Plates/bricks/slopes pretty much go by size, but there are just so many different tiny pieces..

Nitemare1

Picked up some Stanley sorting containers at Lowes today. Time to get more serious with my Lego sorting.

Ok this might sound silly but how does it smell? I bought a Stanley container at the hardware store for sorting pieces and now all my bricks have a weird plasticy funk on them from the material the container is made out of. The plastic its made of had a very strong smell. :(
Currently looking for ways to defunkify it.

Ok this might sound silly but how does it smell? I bought a Stanley container at the hardware store for sorting pieces and now all my bricks have a weird plasticy funk on them from the material the container is made out of. The plastic its made of had a very strong smell. :(
Currently looking for ways to defunkify it.

It does have a strong plastic smell, but things usually go away after awhile.

I picked up three of the Sortmaster Jrs since they lock together, but after ten minutes of emptying the ziploc bags I had been using I am getting a better idea of how many more containers I need to buy. I grabbed one of the regular sort masters in the store and think I will return the three Jrs to get all the big boys. Once I emptied tons of stuff I did the math and the volume of the Jr. is 7336 cm3, while the volume of the regular one is 12666cm3 or so. So that is a pretty big jump in space for only $2. And now that I have a better idea on how I am going to segregate the bins that will help figure out how many more I need. And also I need to decide if I am going to go mega crazy and sort by color eventually. For now, I am happy with just sorting by piece.

I will post pics once I get further along and swap out for the larger containers. Right now I am thinking of one container for 1x high by 1xwide, with separate compartments for the different lengths (I hope that makes sense.) Then another container for the 2x wide pieces and separate by length. Then 2 containers for the taller bricks (3x high. You know what I mean) sorted the same way. One container for all the different plate pieces (3x or greater wide by 3x or greater length.) Maybe a container for all the wing style pieces and angled pieces. One for wheels, one for arches, stands, etc (like the monorail braces). One for window type pieces (castle wall pieces or space windshields and the like.). Then finally one container for all the technic style pieces like gears, rotors.

Shit, just thought of one for the misc pieces. The freaky ones or unique ones. Damn, that is like ten boxes for sorting. Maybe more. Maybe less. Um, yeah. This will have to be in stages. I want portable containers instead of the drawer systems just for easier storage like under the bed or something.

The problem is once I start getting OCD about these containers I wont stop. I usually am the one that cleans up and creates organizational things for filing systems at work all the time. Just eliminate clutter, make it easy to find stuff, and have room to expand.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Got my Imperial Shuttle.

So much glee when i discovered the bags weren't numbered, and there's so much white.

Going to take forever to build.

Got my Imperial Shuttle.

So much glee when i discovered the bags weren't numbered, and there's so much white.

Going to take forever to build.
It took Norm and his two helpers nine hours. They fucked up at one point and had to redo a bunch of stuff though. It is not an easy build.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It took Norm and his two helpers nine hours. They fucked up at one point and had to redo a bunch of stuff though. It is not an easy build.

Using these videos as basis, what your saying is that it took norm's two helpers 9 hours to build it?

What did they screw up? Use a wrong colored piece?

SWEET! Now I am even more excited to get the set.

As for those asking how I am organizing, here is all I have so far. It has given me a good idea on how many more bins I need to buy, as these filled really fast. I just emptied baggies I was using to keep things separate this past few weeks as I sort. This is probably a 10th or so of things. The rest of my baggies are the weird little pieces or the bigger pieces out there. I still have a massive rubbermaid bin that is completely unsorted.

SA8Zql.jpg

The top 3 are the Stanley Sortmaster Jrs. You can lock up to three together with the little latches on the side so you can carry them easier. The bottom case is the Stanley Sortmaster (Sr? Regular? It is just Sortmaster).

The Jrs. were $8 each at Lowes, while the bigger one was $10. The $10 one has about 75% more volume for a small increase in price, so I will be getting a bunch of those in the next few days.

YXSfsl.jpg

All the bins laid out so far.

5058El.jpg

a62wRl.jpg

Close up showing the adjustable dividers.

Cheap cases that are adjustable, and low profile enough to stash them under the bed. I am expecting to have 10 or so of these by the time I am done sorting. Larger pieces like baseplates, monorail tracks, and big window pieces will have to go in something else.

Using these videos as basis, what your saying is that it took norm's two helpers 9 hours to build it?

I think they put together the internal gears of the wings incorrectly, they wouldn't move up and down properly so they had to take the wings off and re-do it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I think they put together the internal gears of the wings incorrectly, they wouldn't move up and down properly so they had to take the wings off and re-do it.

ouch. I jsut started it, and it goes right into the gear mechanisms, and it's pretty complex.

I also resigned myself to some organization.... a bin for big pieces, and a bin for tiny pieces.

My shuttle arrived today.

Twenty-four fucking bags and FOUR instruction manuals. My girlfriend is horrified. I want to get tantive IV now. Waiting for it to drop a little more before its discontinued.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

It took me 12 hours by myself. I thought I had screwed up a step and attached a wing at the wrong angle since it wasn't aligning with the other wing. I ended up disassembling the entire wing (with pliers) because it was impossible to detach from the shuttle body before realizing that I hadn't made a mistake after all -__-

The wings are incredibly sturdy. I would say near indestructible, considering how many reinforcing bars are in the wings. I had to use pliers to literally pull out some of the bars when I was disassembling and trying to correct my "mistake"

MrDaravon

Posted this in the Bricked thread, but I never really had Legos as a kid, but after watching those I just dropped $19 for the two of these:

fQ8bP.jpg

I figured it was a pretty low cost of entry and I would see if I want to actually drop some money into this stuff. Interesting to hear that the Y-Wing set is good, I'm pretty sure when I was looking around today I saw that one for $42 on sale at TRU, and I also saw that the Obi-Wan one was on sale at Lego.com for $59 I think? Hmm.

So my wife and I built these earlier today, and suffice to say we both got the bug BAD. Also not helping was me getting a completely unexpected bonus this week at work of about $350. So after a TRU run our night got completely stupid really fast lol

X28O9.jpg

She built the Y-Wing and the little ones, Y-Wing took her about 3 hours. I'm taking a break on the Falcon, I'd say I'm about 75-80% done after about 4 hours. I'm not gonna lie, if our TRU would have had the UCS Super Star Destroyer in stock I would have gotten it ($359.99 this week there), but they're out of stock online and they looked and no store in their region of 3 states has them in stock right now. May also go back tomorrow to get the X-Wing and Tie Fighter, and then that'll probably do us for a while until I pick up the Star Destroyer in maybe a couple of months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom