• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Confirmed: Sony Announces PSN Pass, Online Access Pass For 1st Party Titles [Updated]

AppleSmack said:
To me, this means I'm gonna have to be far more careful with games I buy knowing I can't resell them. It means ill be buying less. Which gives them even less money.

Who knows, maybe I will actually join in on the "90+ metacritic only" bandwagon for consoles.

Who said you can't resell them? It just means the resale value will drop by approximately the price of an online pass.

davepoobond said:
ALSO, you're saying they'd just skip it if online wasn't popular? well guess what, a publisher would SAVE money by killing off the online portion of a game sooner rather than having people play without compensating them.
I don't think I'll ever understand this idea that publishers aren't being compensated enough from the original purchase. Those used copies don't spring out of thin air.

I've seen a lot of entitlement whining in gaming, but none moreso than this.

Edit: If a publisher has a problem, it shouldn't be with used games sales on the whole, but with the practice of retailers pushing used sales more than new in the first, say, 30 to 60 days of a game's release.

So, how about this? Keep the passes, but only use them towards the release period of the game, say the first 60 days. After those 60 days, nobody needs a pass. To sweeten the deal, put up those XP bonuses, Game-With-The-Devs and special events during this period rather than waiting for the community to sag first. Now the only people getting hurt by an online pass are those who get a used copy during the release window.

Basically, instead of targeting ALL of your customers (including me and others who always buy new) for bullshit nickle-and-dime stuff, focus that stuff like a laser beam where its needed, and gift wrap that stuff in incentives to get people hyped to play the game day 1 and during the entire release period.

NullPointer said:
Basically, instead of targeting ALL of your customers (including me and others who always buy new) for bullshit nickle-and-dime stuff, focus that stuff like a laser beam where its needed, and gift wrap that stuff in incentives to get people hyped to play the game day 1 and during the entire release period.

How are you the publisher's customer if you bought used? What service did you pay them for? What guarantees have they made you?

brucewaynegretzky said:
How are you the publisher's customer if you bought used? What service did you pay them for? What guarantees have they made you?
I just said that I always buy new. But these passes still affect me since when I'm done with a game I *don't* bring it in to Gamestop for credit or put it up on ebay. I give it to one of my friends or my brother overseas. Now, when I give them one of these games they'll be asked to pony up a fee, which is pretty fucking lame since I already paid for the game and its online portion.

All I'm suggesting is if publishers have a problem with used sales, try to come up with a method that doesn't effect the customers who buy new (like moi). If the problem is the retailers pushing used copies during the release window, just make the passes a requirement during that window. People could still trade them in or give them away, but there would be a disincentive to do that during release, where it has the most effect on a publisher's bottom line.

redmodel

Neo Member
Sorry if this has been mentioned already,

But it'd be nice if the PSN pass worked under a different code system and it gave you the option to unregister the code for the game and the next owner could use it to play onlIne.

I see the PSN pass is more to keep piracy to a minimum than deterring used game sales. No need for Sony cover the Extra costs of servers so pirated games can be played online.

redmodel said:
Sorry if this has been mentioned already,

But it'd be nice if the PSN pass worked under a different code system and it gave you the option to unregister the code for the game and the next owner could use it to play onlIne.

I see the PSN pass is more to keep piracy to a minimum than deterring used game sales. No need for Sony cover the Extra costs of servers so pirated games can be played online.

People on cfw haven't been playing games online for a very, very long time.

Riptwo

I'd be far less apprehensive about these passes if they became free after a limited time, ala NullPointer's example. It would change the passes from DRM to an incentive. Still not ideal, but I could probably live with that compromise.

-PXG-

Prowl said:
Hopefully my GF doesn't want to play Uncharted 3 online on her PS3. :/

Either tell her no or tell her to buy it herself. No beta bullshit. Achieve baawwws status by getting laid anyway ;)

Talon

Marius_ said:
You can use that same argument for the legality of piracy, it doesn't benefit Sony but it benefits who ever does it
Invoking piracy in this conversation is a complete non sequitur.

HolyTaco

If the online pass is granted automatically to PS+ subscribers that would put a wholly different, and kinda positive spin on this initiative. Either way, Sony is clearly scrambling to monetize online without just taking the XBL route and directly charging for all online play, with the monetary black hole that was PS3 I can't say I blame them.

GSR

"This is an important initiative as it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhancing premium online services across our first party game portfolio."

Holy shit, that is the single most buzzword-filled piece of PR spin I have seen this entire generation. I'm actually kind of impressed.

That said, I can't say I'm surprised Sony is starting to shift towards paid online service; I'm guessing the cost of PSN is starting to weigh down on the company.

charlequin said:
I bought Plain Sight, Monday Night Combat, and Borderlands (i.e. all multiplayer PC games that have received continued post-release support) in the last few months too, so I really don't see what kind of point you're making here. The reason many people don't complain about resale on Steam is that they're buying individual games so cheaply. It doesn't matter why they're that cheap, only that one way or another, resale will only become less of an issue for physical games if their price can decrease to similar levels.

Again, we would be talking about unknowns. How does valve get to sell these titles at that price? Do you know whether or not they have a compensation plan?

I am just saying it isn't level trying to use one game or even one service as a point of reference when so much "isn't" known about the particular of the details. If it turns out that pubs nor devs see money from the sales then there definitely wouldn't become industry standard prices. These companies don't make a living off of providing gamers with fuzzy feelings alone. Just because you felt like you got a great deal, if the amount of sales can't cover the costs of making the game then there would be no point.

Looking at the numbers, for a $60 dollar game to reach a revenue of 1 million dollars, it would take 16,700 units sold. If it was priced at around $10 it would take 100,000 units to generate that same revenue. Considering people still purchase games at that amount I doubt they are worried about changing the price for new releases.

EDIT: For further clarification, the reason you might be seeing some of these prices so low (especially on titles years old) is because they already made the money they think they could make the first time around. And you buying a game at a cheaper price years later still means money goes in thier pocket. I don't think it is an even comparison to do with used sales or how companies would consider an acceptable level of loss to deal with.

-PXG-

GSR said:
Holy shit, that is the single most buzzword-filled piece of PR spin I have seen this entire generation. I'm actually kind of impressed.

That said, I can't say I'm surprised Sony is starting to shift towards paid online service; I'm guessing the cost of PSN is starting to weigh down on the company.

I'm not. I guess I'm used to seeing this stuff. I mean, what do you want them to say?

"We at Sony want to do our very bust to counteract second hand sales and send a message to those buying our games used to fuck off and pay up, since we don't want to offer them any service without anything in return"

I'd love to work for PR department or a marketing firm that focuses on video games. God damn. Getting paid to write this sort of shit must be great. And you know, it wouldn't bother me too much, since someone would be dumb enough to pay me to write it and others are dumb enough to believe it.

Anyway, offline product keys are a coming folks. Capcom's already released a game (or two?) with online DRM. It's only a matter of time. Hold on to yer butts.

patsu

Prowl said:

If enough of them refuse to partake, used game price will fall from the theoretical $10 + current used price. Or people will find ways to get cheaper new games ( wait longer, use store credits, ... )

patsu

Infamous Chris said:
Who pays 50 a year for XBL? It can be gotten CONSISTANTLY for $35-45 all year round. Even less if you take advantage of the numerous dashboard offers. I stacked up on 2 years + 2 extra months of XBL for $59.99 late last year.

And people keep acting as if paying for XBL only grants you access to the online games; I gladly pay for the cross-game/8-player party chat and the seemless friends list/achievement comparisons and options (i.e. invititations, etc.) as well as all the weekly discounts (i.e. I just bought Torchlight and Stacking this week for half price).

If Microsoft follows suit with this pass shit like EA and Sony, then fuck them, too. Especially because Gears and Halo are some of the biggest first-party online games out there. People aren't going to stand for it.

Even though it's free, PSN has features not found in XBL too. PSN Pass applies only to first party games. Some third parties already charge for online pass on both XBL and PSN. They didn't seem to get hit majorly. I believe we simply saw the retailers adjust their price accordingly.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
How the hell is importing going to work?

You know your Shit Outta' Luck due to region code = that region store

White Knight Chronicles 2 has that pass, some people imported are now stuck. Can't use the online features (the Georama), the code can't be recognized by NA store only JP

Demon's Soul made an a name for itself through importing, people payed a ridiculous premium to bring it overseas to play. Then through great word of mouth, company took notice and it was released here. It sold decently, which spawned a spiritual successor.

Now DS isn't from AAA, 200+ Team, Mega-Published, $100 Million Marketing Budget Backed Company

Now if you had added that PSN Pass to the mix, you would have greatly reduced the buyers to import it over
I mean online isn't a big part, but it has it's fundamentals based in it

I hope PSN Pass codes are universal, if not, importing will take it on the chin also

yeah, different region games is my main concern too. I usually buy Asian region of games but I have US PSN account, some of these Asian dlc code can't be redeemed in my main account, I have to use my alternate asian account to redeem them, it's not that bad in dlc case since the dlc is saved on the harddrive and my asian disc can recognize the asian dlc, even though I'm playing with US PSN.

don't know about these online pass though, worst case scenario, I have to buy all online game in Region 1 (US), they're usually more expensive though...

test_account

XP-39C²
DatBreh said:
Everyone ignores this when they bring up how developers need to cut costs back to where they were gens ago if they want to make a profit. Of course its cheap to make a game when you have a team of 10 people, you dont have to pay for voice acting or fully orchestrated music, AI is almost non-existent, and you dont need any real talent to make decent graphics.
Yeah, i wonder how much it cost to make an AAA game back in the days compared to today.

charlequin said:
Actually, Microsoft has done so extensively, to the direct detriment of their consumers. The most prominent example is their unwillingness to allow MMOs on the platform unless the publishers provide them a percentage cut of the monthly fee.
Would MS allow it if they got a share of the money though? And didnt several of EA games have online passes on Xbox 360 as well?

Prowl said:
Still not confirmed that the PSN pass is locked to a single account though. Could be on each PS3 where the main account is activated. If that is the case, just activate your account on your GF's PS3 :)

-PXG- said:
Anyway, offline product keys are a coming folks. Capcom's already released a game (or two?) with online DRM. It's only a matter of time. Hold on to yer butts.
While true about those Capcom games (it is two by the way, Final Fight and Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2), these games are only available for purchase online (PS Store) which mean that you must have online access and a PSN account in the first place to get them. It will be a bit different with disc based games that you can buy without online access.

Since online access is extremely common these days, it probably shouldnt be a technical hurdle for most people if it is a one time activation. So i guess that it is not 100% impossible, but i still cant see that it will happen with single player games, at least not in the near future, mainly due to that not everyone connects their consoles to the internet.

Brera

Banned
PSN Pass wouldn't affect me or many others.

Pre-owned games are often more expensive or the discount is negligible over new stuff.

Just yesterday I bought a Guitar Hero game for £3 new. The pre-owned copy was $4.98.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
OldJadedGamer said:
I feel bad for those guys. It's a publisher mandate for all first party published games and these guys are the unlucky ones that have to be the first game so they are getting all the initial anger even though it has nothing to do with them.

Like most developers and rational gamers, they likely support the initiative. I don't know of anyone in the industry who has felt put off by being "mandated" to include it in their game.

Loudninja

Vilam said:
Like most developers and rational gamers, they likely support the initiative. I don't know of anyone in the industry who has felt put off by being "mandated" to include it in their game.
You are not paying attention to anything.

Massa

I really hope they start releasing their multiplayer-enabled games on PSN day 1. Having Mass Effect 2 at launch and inFamous 2 very near was nice, but the convenience of having multiplayer shooters on the HDD would be something else.

Loudninja

Callibretto said:
allow any user on the system to play online? I hope it means it's not locked to account but just to the ps3 hardware. this way I can buy Region 3 games, download the online pass to the PS3 and can continue play online using my main US PSN account.
....thats what he said.

Loudninja

brunoa76 said:
System level only ? Does this mean you have to pay another code if the console breaks down ?
Nope.
jstevenson said:
right, but you can re-download the pass to your next system via account management/download history.

PS pass:
Has dual login
Can played on any account on the PS3
Can be re-downloaded to you next PS3

Top Bottom