• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: PS Vita our most dev-friendly platform yet (develop-online.net)

onQ123

http://www.develop-online.net/news/38183/Sony-PS-Vita-our-most-dev-friendly-platform-yet

The development world has changed, and so have we, says SCE chief
PS Vita is the easiest PlayStation platform yet to build games for, Sony’s top development executives have said.

Several Sony top brass, each involved in creating the new handheld, say PS Vita’s more welcoming development environment trumps that offered by any previous Sony platform.
Speaking with Develop, SCE Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida admitted that Sony’s previous gaming platforms had been what he described as “peaky”, testing even the best of developers.

Speaking of Sony consoles prior to Vita, specifically PS3, Yoshida said “it had very, very high potential and peak performance, but programming for the PlayStation platforms was a huge challenge for game developers.”
Sony’s old habit of building powerful yet complex platforms was due to its former SCE chief Ken Kutaragi.

“In a sense, Kutaragi was enjoying challenging game developers,” said Yoshida.
Article continues below
Advertisement

“He was especially challenging the top programmers in the world to come up with something amazing to make use of the performance of each iteration of the PlayStation platforms.

“That was very good – it was great – for the teams with engineers who liked the challenge, but the world has now changed, and today there is a much larger community of developers,” added Yoshida.

“The focus has shifted to be less about getting the most out of the hardware, to be about having a very smooth production process. That’s because now it involves so many more people to make one game.”
The Sony executive added that the shift of focus was particularly relevant for those third-party publishers which are charged with making sure developer’s games work across multiple platforms.

“Development efficiency has become more and more important,” said Yoshida.
The SCE WWS head was not the only Sony senior to make clear to Develop that relative simplicity of development has been a core focus in creating the Vita.

“When it comes to ease of development, the Vita is a platform with which we’ve been very mindful of that,” stated Michael Denny, senior vice president of SCE Worldwide Studios.
“In terms of smoothing the development process, certainly what the Vita offers is close to that of the PSP, and with some of the help we’re giving to developers, I would say it is the easiest and most well supported platform yet.

“In terms of performance, and the graphics power and programmable shaders and so on, what you can get out of it is far closer to PS3. It’s a great contrast of ease of development to the output you get from the system.”
WWS CTO Richard Lee confirmed Denny’s assertion that ease of development was fundamental to the Vita’s design.

“We made every effort to make it as easy as possible,” said Lee.
“I think we took the experiences from PS3, and decided that we wanted to go out there with a great developer environment that is compatible with the third party tools that developers normally use.

“There’s never been anything like this on a PlayStation platform. It is a great development environment, and the stuff that is available before launch is really good in terms of helping developers with performance tuning an so on.”

AndyD

aka andydumi
It will be interesting, that's for sure. If they can get a lot of developers on board, and have both solid apps as well as solid games in a broad variety of genres, this thing could be very succesful.

As said above, if they carry over the idea to PS4, they could have an amazing ecosystem of devices.

Takao

Banned
Gravijah said:
Bring on the low-mid budget games!

Well these are alpha screens of games developed by a company whose history is PSP Minis, and Wiiware:

YagLx.jpg

anAvY.jpg

KNly3.jpg

NjP6U.jpg

If those are screens of an alpha build from a no-budget studio, I can't wait to see what the big boys can pull off.

Slime

Banned
Don't forget Sound Shapes, which they've hyped decently well.

I think they finally realize that 2D is just as relevant as ever, and blocking it doesn't make sense, especially on a portable platform. Hopefully, anyway.

jackdoe

Slime said:
Don't forget Sound Shapes, which they've hyped decently well.

I think they finally realize that 2D is just as relevant as ever, and blocking it doesn't make sense, especially on a portable platform. Hopefully, anyway.
They're also hoping for cheap, mobile phone games to be ported to the platform as well, so I don't see them blocking 2D at all.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I think this bodes well for PS4 if it works out for the Vita. It seems SCE learned a lot from their missteps with the PS3.

Man I can't read TRANSFARR without instantly thinking of the Transvaal.

Of course whenever I read Vita I can only think of a Sony commercial with Ricky Martin playing a rhythm game on this thing (yes I know that would be Vida).

gbovo

Kagari said:
I think this bodes well for PS4 if it works out for the Vita. It seems SCE learned a lot from their missteps with the PS3.
Yeah, like getting rid of Kutaragi. No more over-engineered, and overly complex architecture to satisfy one man's tech fetish, at the expense of an entire corporation

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
gbovo said:
Yeah, like getting rid of Kutaragi. No more over-engineered, and overly complex architecture to satisfy one man's tech fetish, at the expense of an entire corporation
Thank gawd.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It needs unique games, hopefully they can provide great content for it. I like the launch line-up, though.

jokkir

.JayZii said:
Great, I'm really rooting for the Vita as Sony appears to be doing everything right with it.

Except this:
Jjkq4.jpg

This is pretty good news. All I want now is good games for it and a good battery life and im set.

Blablurn

god, the handheld of my dreams. good to see that sony learned from their mistakes.
funny to read that kutaragi enjoyed "challenging" programmers. thats really something u cannot do anymore.

jokkir said:
Except this:
Jjkq4.jpg

This is pretty good news. All I want now is good games for it and a good battery life and im set.

At&t gets a lot of hate, but I find service for them in suburban areas a bit better than Verizon.

I can't say the same for urban areas, but it can't be that bad right?

jokkir said:
Except this:
Jjkq4.jpg

Worldwide, they had to go with AT&T. Not really a choice for them. My phome has unlimited data and acts like a wifi hotspot so I will get a 3G Vita at a wifi Vita price.

gbovo said:

It was the one thing Sony one way or another was going to go full tilt with, blu-ray.

Nothing overly engineered, or complex about it, it was just expensive as shit when it came out.

You had $500-$600 PS3 that outperformed dedicated $1000 blu-ray players, and continued to do so for a great while. Even now it's still a great blu-ray player because of Sony's ability to upgrade it's functionality like including 3D support without having to buy another dedicated blu-ray player.

Sony took a bath for it. Difficulty didn't do anything to the PS2.

Wonder if that is also a hint that the psp will stay region free. The yen is still strong so I'd like to save on the hardware at least. Not the mention the price gauging if you don't buy it directly in Japan.

Sky Chief

jokkir said:
Except this:
Jjkq4.jpg

I agree it sucks but what was the option, T mobile? Or were they going to make a separate CDMA model just for the USA? Please, let's be reasonable here, AT&T sucks but this isn't even a phone we're talking about.

Speevy

Banned
This sounds like one of the most well planned, perfectly priced systems in history. Which of course means no one will buy it.

DiscoJer

klee123 said:
They also need to stop cockblocking 2D games!

I don't think Sony has blocked much since they let that straight PS1 port of a Harvest Moon game through.

But that is a good question of just what they will allow. There's about a dozen or so developers of Minis that have kits - will they get to make anything they want without concept approval (like has been the case with Minis - which has led to some interesting things like emulated arcade games and lots of casual games) or will they face restrictions?

gbovo

HomerSimpson-Man said:
It was the one thing Sony one way or another was going to go full tilt with, blu-ray.

Nothing overly engineered, or complex about it, it was just expensive as shit when it came out.

You had $500-$600 PS3 that outperformed dedicated $1000 blu-ray players, and continued to do so for a great while. Even now it's still a great blu-ray player because of Sony's ability to upgrade it's functionality like including 3D support without having to buy another dedicated blu-ray player.

Blu-Ray isn't what made PS3 difficult to develop for. It was Sony not providing adequate documentation and tools in the first 18-24 months of the PS3's life cycle. Coupled with the fact that Cell was a new architecture that noone knew how to program for, and that you had to use two different compilers for your SPU code, and PPE code, and you get an idea why PS3 was difficult to develop for.

If difficulty didn't do anything to the PS2, then I guess they have no reason to try and make their future consoles and handhelds easier to develop for, and should continue to make them as difficult to develop for as possible, thereby driving away devs and pubs in an increasingly competitive hardware market.... you know, just 'cause.

klee123

Yeah, Yoshida is probably the best person in SCE in ages. If the PS4 is easy to develop for, we wouldn't get problems like Last Remnant on PS3 happening.

Kagari said:
Dragon's Crown?

Good point, however I'm talking about the low budget stuff. The did block Z.H.P from getting a PS3 release.

I suspect it's also Sony's doing which is preventing a lot of 2D shumups from being ported to the PS3 due to Sony's policy of games needed to be full screen.

HomerSimpson-Man said:

To be fair though, it didn't affect the PS2 because it was overwhelmingly popular. Whether devs found the system easy or difficult to program didn't matter, since it was the only system available besides the DC.

gbovo said:
Blu-Ray isn't what made PS3 difficult to develop for. It was Sony not providing adequate documentation and tools in the first 18-24 months of the PS3's life cycle. Coupled with the fact that Cell was a new architecture that noone knew how to program for, and that you had to use two different compilers for your SPU code, and PPE code, and you get an idea why PS3 was difficult to develop for.

If difficulty didn't do anything to the PS2, then I guess they have no reason to try and make their future consoles and handhelds easier to develop for, and should continue to make them as difficult to develop for as possible, thereby driving away devs and pubs in an increasingly competitive hardware market.... you know, just 'cause.

I'm not saying blu-ray was difficult one, I'm saying blu-ray is the major push that came at the cost of the company when you alluded to "...at the expense of an entire corporation."

If it had a standard DVD drive, it would have the price back down easily for Sony to stomach. When the PS3 was release, because of the competing format HD-DVD, blue-laser diodes were also at a shortage making things worse.

klee123 said:
Good point, however I'm talking about the low budget stuff. The did block Z.H.P from getting a PS3 release.

They're apparently giving Capcom a hard time with bringing MHP3HD to the PS3 in the US. So there issue really isn't with a game being 2D.

klee123

SolidSnakex said:
They're apparently giving Capcom a hard time with bringing MHP3HD to the PS3 in the US. So there issue really isn't with a game being 2D.

Yeah, Sony just has high standards, but really this just makes it worse. I mean really, how is more variety a bad thing?

klee123 said:
Yeah, Sony just has high standards, but really this just makes it worse. I mean really, how is more variety a bad thing?

I'm pretty sure that it's a requirement for at least two titles to be included in a remaster in the US. Sony Japan doesn't really care which is why ICO, SoTC, MHP3, MGS PW ect. are all being released on their own.

gbovo

HomerSimpson-Man said:
I'm not saying blu-ray was difficult one, I'm saying blu-ray is the major push that came at the cost of the company when you alluded to "...at the expense of an entire corporation."

If it had a standard DVD drive, it would have the price back down easily for Sony to stomach. When the PS3 was release, because of the competing format HD-DVD, blue-laser diodes were also at a shortage making things worse.
When I said "...at the expense of an entire corporation", I was alluding to the point that SCE lost console dominance this gen in part due to how difficult, time consuming, and EXPENSIVE, it was for devs and pubs to develop on PS3, thus, shifting the pendulum of development resources towards Xbox360.
Obviously, Blu-Ray played a role in making the PS3 unaffordable initially, but having an overtly difficult console to develop, with little to no support from Sony initially, was a recipe for failure.

I'm glad Kutaragi is gone. He admitted that he doesn't know anything about software development. That isn't the kind of person that should be running a video game corporation. Now SCE can actually listen and consider input from their software devs, when designing a new console/handheld.

DiscoJer

klee123 said:

I think part of the problem in that case is that Capcom refuses to release it on the PSP in NA.

It would be a terrible precedent for Sony to allow a company to release a PSP remaster, but not the PSP game.

They do want people to buy the Vita, after all, not just wait around for the inevitable Vita remasters (though I'm sure that's going to happen).

This is really awesome news. Platform holders need to do everything they can to keep game production costs low.

Come on Sony.... You're doing everything right. Now just announce a release date and please god don't make the memory cards too absurdly expensive....

klee123

Chuck Norris said:
Erm Loco Roco? Patapon? Echochrome? On PSP.

Maybe its time to stop living in 2002

Echochrome is 3D.

I guess I did word it wrong since this new article is for Vita, and Sony does have a much more lax policy with the PSP, but my point still stands for the PS3 and fear it will be similar for PS4.

Regardless of any exceptions, Sony has blocked a lot of titles this generation, especially from SCEJ.

It should also be mentioned that the architecture is going to benefit from easy annual die shrinks and economies of scale more than any other architecture before it, as the chips are going to be fabbed along with millions of other similarly architected mobile chips.

Enabling an eventual slim model at $199 mass market friendly price.

I also envision an Xperia Play 2 (or something better named) based in Vita guts and playing Vita games as an extension of the platform into the mobile space. Perhaps a Sony S3 or S4 tablet following the same strategy.

Top Bottom