• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock - April 11th PC release [Mac/iOS later]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Excuse my enthusiasm over this. Maybe some of you don't think it's worthy of a thread but meh, it's what I've been waiting for and looking for with little luck for ages. A new Dungeon Master style dungeon crawler that actually looks pretty damn well made. So far. Of course it's by a new indie studio, Almost Human Ltd. Who else would make such an attempt?

Official website.

Teaser Trailer.

Screens.
screen_13.jpg

screen_22.jpg

screen_32.jpg

The only potential issue I can see so far is that from their previous blog posts it seems to be in the early stages of development so perhaps far from an actual release (on PC, Mac and iOS alongside any other platfrom they can get it on apparently). On the other hand, being so early and looking this good is a very, very good thing. Fingers crossed.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Oh.
Oh my.
For moi?
Yes, please!

Edit - Also, any other indie first person and/or dungeon crawling RPG worth taking a look at? I vaguely remember a thread or two many, many years ago...

Alexios

Mejilan said:
Edit - Also, any other indie first person and/or dungeon crawling RPG worth taking a look at? I vaguely remember a thread or two many, many years ago...
I only recall the Grimoire troll, the Duke Nukem Forever of the indie scene, magically close to release every few years or so.

Alexios

Radogol said:
Speaking of which, what happened to Stonekeep Adventures for the Wii? Other than "lol, Interplay" I mean.
Well, MDK did get released on WiiWare and last they were asked they said Descent is coming too. So, maybe they'll release all this shit. Probably just a port too.

Boerseun

Banned
Wow! Eye of the Beholder flashback! Or rather Lands of Lore, since that was the first game to show scrolling transitions between every step.

Anyway, I will definitely be keeping an eye on this one!

ArjanN

IoCaster said:
Looks a bit like Stonekeep. That hud is way too big and would get annoying pretty damn quick.

Kinda part of the genre,

Dungeon Master:

screenshot2211-2.png

Eye of the Beholder:

Eye+of+the+Beholder+%2528DOS%2529.jpg

Lands of Lore:

6721-lands-of-lore-the-throne-of-chaos-dos-screenshot-i-guess-they.gif

agnasg

Neo Member
Yasae said:
Interesting, but that teaser trailer was awful.
Yes, I´m a fan of Dungeon Master and I was thinking to try Legend of Grimcrap until this teaser video chenged my mind. Worst teaser video of a Dungeon Master clone ever.

Alexios

Dunno why people don't like the video, it's what made me excited personally, as the movement and overall aesthetic is spot on for genre nostalgia yet looks pretty good and relatively modern visually. Of course it doesn't show combat mechanics or anything else specific (that they've probably yet to even develop) outside the general visual style. Hence why I (ops, apparently the developers too) called it a teaser. It's just the first footage of the game, like those screenshots are the first they released too.

Everyone read it as Grimlock? Am I the only one who saw Grimdark?

Anyway, I want to be exited for this as coincidentally I've been itching to play something like this lately but that teaser does nothing for me. I really hate teasers. I wish devs would introduce games with something meaningful, like Blizzard did with Diablo III. Just, you know, without the 'make you wait several goddamn years for it to come out' part.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Alextended said:
I only recall the Grimoire troll, the Duke Nukem Forever of the indie scene, magically close to release every few years or so.

Apparently there was a status update just two months ago. :)

I need to dig up more indie dungeon crawlers like this. I know there were more.
Time to Google-Fu!

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaw...

Grimrock, not Grimlock.

Still, hopefully they release an ipad version of this bad boy. My uncle played dungeon keeper in front of me on his Amiga so I never got into the series on my own

Hesemonni

Banned
Damn this thread reminds me that I really need to replay Lands of Lore. Suchs an awesome game and really the crowning of achievement of the genre. Too bad they dropped the ball with its sequels :(

Hesemonni

Banned
Mejilan said:
What was wrong with the sequels?
They just don't feel like Lands of Lore games to me. They tried to do groudbreaking 3D gameplay, but ended up just making the game hard to play. Like many early 3D games the game lacks character and ended up getting visually dated really quick. The first game is not a looker either, but it has its own distinct look and even today it's great fun to play.

I gotta see if I can manage dosbox key binds so I can play it with my laptop.

Alexios

They've had a couple of updates since, one showing off their tunnel ogre model and some of its animations. It looks nice even in the modeling program, I like it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In88LMRE1E8
I thought their conceprt art for it looked weird and stubby but the animation fixed it all up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
http://www.grimrock.net/2012/03/02/weekly-update-and-release-news/

Devs said:
So we’re not done just yet but close! So, what’s up next? There’s still a few bugs to fix and testers are still finding stuff to polish. We are also going to do the long overdue site migration to a more powerful server with more bandwidth over the next two weeks. Biggest of all we are going to freeze the code and content pretty soon, build our first release candidate and start the final round of testing. We hope to get the RC out of the oven to testers sometime next week. And before you ask, beta testing is still closed so no need to apply for beta testing, thank you :)

Looks like it's coming out in April.

Alexios

Good news. There was a newer thread about this though, with newer trailer etc.

Otherwise I would have updated this one with all the new stuff.

Sentenza

I must say that their development has been surprisingly smooth and fast for an indie developer.
Well, at least that's how it looks from the outside, judging from the regularity of their updates.

Carbonox

It's OK Grimlock fans, his glorious return will be in Fall of Cybertron.

But yes I read this as Grimlock initially also. D:

Minsc

Gold Member
Nice to see it's almost ready! Some other good info in that link:

Therefore we have worked extra hard this week and nailed a lot of bugs, including two crash bugs near the end of the game – a big thank you to our beta testers who have been relentlessly playing the game. Apart from fixing bugs we have also polished various aspects of the game. For example, we completely reworked the save game dialog so that it now shows information such as characters and their levels, play time and the current dungeon and level you’re playing in. In bigger news we have implemented 40 achievements, some of them pretty challenging to unlock. Olli has almost but finalized the remaining animations so his animation work for LoG is now pretty much complete unless our testers still find something to fix. Juho is also gradually moving on from the game to work on the launch trailer. Antti and me, we have been juggling with various miscellaneous tasks that just have to be done.

The achievements should make playing through with different party combinations more fun. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom