• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock - April 11th PC release [Mac/iOS later]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erudite

Wonder if it'll have retina support. Even if it was just the UI that was displayed in full resolution, I'd be happy.

Sentenza

Why so many people are saying "Finally" as if this was the new Duke Nukem?
Their development cycle has been exceptionally steady and fast.
The game is going to be out less than 9 months after they showed it for the first time.

ctrayne

Why so many people are saying "Finally" as if this was the new Duke Nukem?
Their development cycle has been exceptionally steady and fast.
The game is going to be out less than 9 months after they showed it for the first time.

Absolutely true, but when you really want something, the wait is worse.

upandaway

And release date now! April 11th, it's on the site. Could a mod edit the thread title? (or maybe it's worth a new thread, dunno)

also pre-order gets 20% off until April 10 for $11.99 instead of $14.99. You also get Steam key if you buy directly from them.

If you pre-order now you get 20% off the retail price and early access to following goodies:
- A beautifully crafted game manual
- Legend of Grimrock world map
- Custom made grid paper to print out for all your mapping needs
- Grimrock theme music
- Wallpapers
- Art sheets illustrating foul creatures of Mount Grimrock
- Team photo

http://www.grimrock.net/2012/03/27/release-date-announced-pre-order-now/

Pre-order trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmSJ1iFx5zA

SparkTR

Bought. It looks absolutely amazing, something that my 1990's self wouldn't believe exists even if he saw it with his own eyes. It's like those old CGI cutscenes that blew my mind, but an actual game! Damn, that takes me back.

Also, it's amazing how nice looking these indie games have gotten. Grimrock, Natural Selection 2, Hard Reset. AAA developers need to start stepping up their game.

Card Boy

Banned
People are better off pre-ordering directly from the devs. Even at that pre-order discount they make more money than they would at full price on steam due to the cut they would have to give Valve.

no interest in steam, so ordered on gog. the bonus stuff is available for download already it seems like. manual, wallpapers, map, main music theme, avatars, dev team photos, design sketches, artworks

DiscoJer

no interest in steam, so ordered on gog. the bonus stuff is available for download already it seems like. manual, wallpapers, map, main music theme, avatars, dev team photos, design sketches, artworks

Yeah, I wanted to give them more money by buying direct, but a steam key vs GOG where you have no DRM and can also always re-download stuff...the latter is just far more convenient

nickcv

just saw this on gog and i'm completely sold!

i need this asap.

i'd just wish they'd release it sooner to play it during easter

rSpooky

Allrigh allright GAF.. PReordered as well.. I think my wife will enjoy the hell out of it as well, it has a nice nostalgia feel to it.:)

Joseph Merrick said:
List of Awesome

I finished them all (except RoA1), here's a quick one sentence summary:

Best first person dungeon crawler ever. Challenging, revolutionary at the time of release. Very good music and unprecedenced atmosphere.

Two of the classics. I liked them more than EoB series, they were more "casual" but still very, very hardcore. Graphics are way nicer than those in EoB. Puzzles are easier as well.

The second best dungeon crawler (not really... overworld is HUGE) ever created. Game is absolutely AMAZING. It can take up to 100 hours to finish. It is not a DOS game anymore (so no 320x240 8-bit VGA graphics) but a full 65k colours Windows title. You can fly in this game! Teleport to ANY place you want even in the middle of a dungeon (Lloyd's Beacon spell). Pretty much like Baldur's Gate 2 M&M6 overwhelms you. There is so much to do. The whole world is a sandbox - you can go EVERYWHERE you want. Wanna try tackling those Titans with 10 000 HP while you're party has average 60 HP? Go on. They will more than kill you... they will ERADICATE you (not ever Resurrection spell can help!). Game has the perfect amount of challenge right untill the very last dungeon where you can shoot lasers and shit.

Oh: dungeons in Mandate of Heaven are second to none.

This is Ultima Underworld 3 much like Dead Space is System Shock 3. Game has new-age graphics (bumpmapping, selfshadowing etc.) but still retains the atmosphere of the old Ultima Underworld games. It is a 100% dungeon crawler (based underground after all). The difficulty spike near the end of the game is ENORMOUS. There is one species of heavily armored enemies that simply cannot be defeated without using quick-save/ quick-load cheating. And you want to defeat them cause they sport the best armor in the whole game. Last boss looks ridiculous and breaks the whole game IMO.

Another duo of classics. Unbeatable without FAQ and printed out maps. Very hardcore. A french title BTW. I remember drawing the maps myself on huge 1m x 1m pieces of paper. Game is REALLY hard. You have to save after each fight. Some of the later dungeons are deadly with traps and spells that spell doom for your party in 1-2 turns. Best weapon in the game (Chaos Sword) is only usuable by Chaotic characters. Good characters... should not use it as it will hit them instead of the enemy. Pretty interesting mechanic.

The only 1 game from Joseph's list that I did not finish (RoA1).

RoA1 and RoA2 are UNBEATABLE without FAQs. There are some very hard puzzles and plot moments where you simply don't know how the fuck you should proceed. The series have an interesting food and water mechanics. All of the spells in the games are based on Das Schwarze Auge RPG system and don't mean shit (it's names) to even veteran RPG players. Game is in first person but combat is isometric and turn-based: exactly like Final Fantasy Tactics, X-Com. IMO these are the most hardcore and most difficult games on this list. Only for the truest and most hardcore of hardcore DOS RPG players out there!

See RoA1&2. Much better graphics, much easier game. EXCELLENT red book audio (don't know if it is present in the DD version?). Recommended if you want to start playing the Realms of Arkania trilogy.

A game that is nowhere near as perfect as M&M6. Same engine, same monsters, same mechanics etc. but the magic was lost. Think Modern Warfare 2 to Modern Warfare change. The same but... not the same. Not as fun, nor revolutionary.

See M&M7. New World Computing tried some interesting mechanics in this part (you could turn to dragon IIRC). IMO this part is better than M&M7. M&M7 had very cliche maps and locales (elven forest, dwarven mine, human settlement etc.) while M&M8 has some more interesting ones: dragon volcanoes, elemental planes etc. It is the Black Ops of modern Call of Duty games.

I mentioned it a while above. Pretty good RPG from Interplay. Kind of like Demon Souls? Not in the difficulty level but graphics and tone. There are some pretty hard-ass bosses in this game (Snow Queen). Overall a very underrated RPG that had tremendous marketing campaign. Highly recommended as it is one of a kind because of how it looks.

This is a weird one. It is the last of Might and Magic games and it feels very dumbed down. Really not recommended as nothing in this game makes sense or "clicks". Small maps, small dungeons, lack of series staples spells etc. I only beat it because I had to beat all M&M titles (M&M1-9).

Stay away.

I can also recommend Anvil of Dawn made by the Might and Magic guys:

http://www.gamespot.com/anvil-of-dawn/

This is a weird one. It is the last of Might and Magic games and it feels very dumbed down. Really not recommended as nothing in this game makes sense or "clicks". Small maps, small dungeons, lack of series staples spells etc. I only beat it because I had to beat all M&M titles (M&M1-9). Stay away.
hehe. I only included it because I have a strange love affair with it, I know most people hate it. that's why it was last :))

I can also recommend Anvil of Dawn made by the Might and Magic guys:

http://www.gamespot.com/anvil-of-dawn/

oops edit: forgot to add this in. have never played anvil of dawn. :O thanks for the namedrop! will find a copy of this

Above suggestions are good. If you want to go even further back in time there's Dungeon Master...
oh man, sweet. have never even thought to search for or look up dungeon master mod/community made stuff. I only own a copy of dungeon master 2. will definitely DO THIS

Sloane

Banned
Somehow, I always thought this was turn-based but it's realtime like the original Dungeon Master? Hmm. Whatever, pre-ordered.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Why not new thread for new news, or at least updating a more recent thread, with the trailers & new GUI (Edit, they have new vids too, on that gog page), this is one of the older (the first?) threads for the game and the OP I had at the time doesn't reflect the awesome they've shown since... Also, lol @ the game having a handful of "reviews" on gog already...

oops edit: forgot to add this in. have never played anvil of dawn. :O thanks for the namedrop! will find a copy of this

It's awesome. Best pre-3D dungeon crawler graphics ever.

Pretty easy though as your mana always regenerates so you can just heal yourself and then go eat a dinner while your mana regens. It takes time but you have infinite healing that way.

There is also this game breaking bug that CLEANS your inventory. It is important to save often and always switch save states.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
oh man, sweet. have never even thought to search for or look up dungeon master mod/community made stuff. I only own a copy of dungeon master 2. will definitely DO THIS

I'm considering opening a playthrough thread for DM in anticipation for Grimrock and its OT.

Can't really find the info on the site:

- is this fully playable and beatable (no bugs) version of Dungeon Master 1? (I beat DM2 on Amiga)

I'll have to dip into it and find out. When opening the game I'm given the choice of starting Dungeon Master, Dungeon Master: Return to Chaos (the chef's special) and the sequel. The recreator's remade the game from scratch trying to be as accurate as possible to the original on the Atari so I assume he will have fixed things in RTC. He's added new things like:

RTC said:
Game-play:
Editing. RTC allows you to create your own dungeons to play. As well as being able to use the dungeon elements from DM and CSB, RTC allows you to import your own graphics and sounds to create new objects.
Expandability. DM has a restrictive limit on the number of levels and their size as well as the number of different types of monster found on each. The level limits are greatly increased in RTC to allow up to 10,000 levels of 200x200 tiles each and no restrictions at all on monster locations.
Magic. There is an option (available to the dungeon designer, not the player) to limit which runes are available for spell casting. Runes may be found on scrolls throughout the dungeon and added to the players inventory as they adventure their way through.
Difficulty. Players can choose to make the dungeons they play harder by setting a difficulty rating when they first enter. The harder the game the more monsters, with higher healths, that they'll encounter.
Lighting. If you cast too many light spells it will become too bright to see where you are going. This provides a natural use for the darkness spell to bring the lighting conditions back to a normal level.
Monster AI. In RTC all monsters are independent of each other. Groups of monsters can, and do, split up to hunt the party down and attack from all sides. They can also mix with other monster types on the same tile allowing them to combine forces to move in for the kill!

Cosmetic:
Shading. RTC runs in 24bpp rather than the 4bpp of DM. As such the shading of objects at a distance is done in full colour rather than using a limited palette so will look different.
Lighting. Lighting from torches and spells is changes smoothly over time rather than the large steps used in DM. Additionally fireballs light up the surrounding area as they fly by. If you don't like these effects you can turn it off in the config.txt file and play DM as it was meant to be!
Transparancy. Again as a consequence of running in a high colour mode, some objects have been changed to be semi-transparent. These include the Champions mirrors, poison clouds, spell explosions and some monsters (faders, ghosts, water and fire elementals). As above, this effect can also be turned off.

Can't really find the info on the site:

- is this fully playable and beatable (no bugs) version of Dungeon Master 1? (I beat DM2 on Amiga)

it's a remake, isn't it? completely different code/engine with remade dungeons. or something

It's awesome. Best pre-3D dungeon crawler graphics ever.
Pretty easy though as your mana always regenerates so you can just heal yourself and then go eat a dinner while your mana regens. It takes time but you have infinite healing that way.
There is also this game breaking bug that CLEANS your inventory. It is important to save often and always switch save states.
hehe. thanks for the info, got a copy coming from someone on ebay now

Torn as fuck. My primary laptop is a Mac, my desktop is a PC. I want to buy it day one, but it seems like I'll need to wait for the Mac version for practicality. Still gon' get 'dis game.

And I mean...Almost Human? So, you remember that jingle about Klondike bars, and what people would do for one? That's how I feel about Grimrocks on the Kindle Fire. I'd do lots. Just sayin'.

Sentenza

Torn as fuck. My primary laptop is a Mac, my desktop is a PC. I want to buy it day one, but it seems like I'll need to wait for the Mac version for practicality. Still gon' get 'dis game.
Just buy it on Steam and then enjoy the Mac version added for free when (and if) it comes out?

Torraz

I could see it go 50% off during a summer sale.

Yeah. 50-66% off during the summer sale seems realistic. Also pandoras tower 2 days after...

Still, I'm quite ingrigued, would like to support indie devs etc, but also want to save money until GW2/D3.

tomedo

Pre-ordered.

Pre-order pack is actually really nice bonus, I really like the main theme! Also included: world map (which is sort of funny since doesn't the game take place in one dungeon?). =D

iosef

Who else read this too fast on the first page and thought "OH SNAP TRANSFORMERS RPG"

EDIT: Beaten to a pulp

km3k

Neo Member
Planning on preordering soon and I'm going back on forth on whether to get it on GOG or direct from the developer's store.

I noticed that the developer's store shows a little "Humble Store" logo on the bottom right. I wonder how far the Humble Bundle guys are going to take their store. Are any other indie games using this yet outside of Braid and Overgrowth?

wMy8C.png

Mimir

I was wondering about how many games were available on the Humble Store as well, and tried tracking down as many as I could. So far, I've found 22. I'm too lazy to create links for these at the moment, but if you take the url: http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/<game name>

where <game name> should be the full game title, no spaces, and no apostrophes.

A Virus Named Tom
Braid
Chocolate Castle
Cortex Command
Dungeons of Dredmor
English Country Tune
Gish
Jaspers Journeys
Legend of Grimrock
Lugaru
Machinarium
Overgrowth
Retro City Rampage
Shadowgrounds
Shadowgrounds: Survivor
Trine
Trine 2
Vessel
Voxatron
VVVVVV
World of Goo
Zen Puzzle Garden

I'm sure there are plenty of other titles.

I'm considering opening a playthrough thread for DM in anticipation for Grimrock and its OT.

I'll have to dip into it and find out. When opening the game I'm given the choice of starting Dungeon Master, Dungeon Master: Return to Chaos (the chef's special) and the sequel. The recreator's remade the game from scratch trying to be as accurate as possible to the original on the Atari so I assume he will have fixed things in RTC. He's added new things like:

Have you tried DSB? I think it does some things RTC never did.

http://www.ojnk.net/dm/dsb/

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was wondering about how many games were available on the Humble Store as well, and tried tracking down as many as I could. So far, I've found 22. I'm too lazy to create links for these at the moment, but if you take the url: http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/<game name>

where <game name> should be the full game title, no spaces, and no apostrophes.

A Virus Named Tom
Braid
Chocolate Castle
Cortex Command
Dungeons of Dredmor
English Country Tune
Gish
Jaspers Journeys
Legend of Grimrock
Lugaru
Machinarium
Overgrowth
Retro City Rampage
Shadowgrounds
Shadowgrounds: Survivor
Trine
Trine 2
Vessel
Voxatron
VVVVVV
World of Goo
Zen Puzzle Garden

I'm sure there are plenty of other titles.

Google:
inurl:http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/

ta-da.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom