• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Grimrock - April 11th PC release [Mac/iOS later]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

I was already feeling really good about this game, but this is pretty awesome:

JgKda.jpg
I believe it's not FULLY correct, as you just toggle on arrows rather than enable the old GUI, but it's still awesome they did that.

Minsc

Gold Member
I got real excited when I saw the world map and then was crushed when I found out it was just for flavor and not representative of where you go in the game.

There's always the sequel (or map editor) down the road to take it outdoors...

But we don’t think it’s the end of the road, more like a fork in the road with ways branching into all sorts of interesting directions: iOS, Mac, map editor, sequel, new IP, living in a dumpster totally broke…

For something really crazy, check out how the game looked less than 1 year ago :)

Eusis

Here's hoping Grimrock 2 goes full on Might and Magic with a nice big overworld and lots of crazy dungeons.
Probably requires this being a smash success to give enough funds to hire a bigger team to pull that, but it does seem to have plenty of buzz at least.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
As a HUGE DM fan, I'm going to get this, but I can't help but have a strong strong desire to be able to play this co-op online. Have they said anything about being able to play this coop, even if *eventually*?

Im_Special

As a HUGE DM fan, I'm going to get this, but I can't help but have a strong strong desire to be able to play this co-op online. Have they said anything about being able to play this coop, even if *eventually*?

WTF is wrong with some of you.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I was thinking the same thing. Pressing 4 different buttons for each character's attack isn't demanding enough to warrant coop.

I know I know....but It's just that I'm spoiled by coop experience these days :(

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Just did my part.
Went with the direct preorder for the installer, preorder goodies, and Steam key (which, happily, is already redeem-able to add the preorder to our libraries).

chiablo

You won't find a bigger fan of coop than me but it makes absolutely no sense in a game like this.

Psh... co-op?

I'm more interested in the multiplayer team deathmatch modes in Grimrock. I heard there's a full unlock system with perks and streak bonuses. :D

Ohmwrecker

Neo Member
I just beat the game, Steam says I played for 16 hours. I know there was some stuff I missed, although I was pretty anal about exploring every nook and cranny of every level.

Reviews are embargoed at the moment, so I can't say too much. I could hardly stop playing for two days and nights straight though, if that means anything to you. :)

Edit: Btw, for everyone talking about co-op, do you guys remember The Shadow of Yserberus on The Sierra Network? It's a shame so many people missed out on that, it was much like DM, EoB, Elvira, etc., but with other players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_of_Yserbius

RQumQ.jpg

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I was already feeling really good about this game, but this is pretty awesome:

JgKda.jpg

I've been watching this one eagerly, I miss old school crawlers, but I was planning on waiting for impressions before buying. However, this post just made me decide otherwise. Developer enthusiasm and action like that deserves support, I'm buying it today.

WTF with arrows hate? I always pressed on them, how could you not press the damn direction arrows?

I guess I can play this after ME3, if I manage to finish it before D3.

Wish it was out now...I've been into playing lots of old DOS games and a reimagined dungeon crawler is exactly what I need right now im my life. It's going to be so glorious.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm working on the graphics for the OT now, so it's not far away. Also I'm hoping to hear back from Almost Human about any insight, tips or tricks they would like to personally add - sent them an email early this morning.

Ed: Turns out handling the graphics is easier when you just figure out the title font is Trajan Pro... I was getting worried about finding the right font!

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
This is going to be interesting but real time combat stinks.

Yeah, I almost wish it was truly old school turn based, like Bard's Tale III combat old, or Eye of The Beholder! I've always found turn based games more relaxing to play, and sometimes that can be a great thing. Let's you take a few moments to plan a strategy out while taking a sip from your beverage and eating a bite from supper next to you. It's one of the reasons I still get the urge to play CIv 5 now and then, because I just want a relaxing low key game to play at my own pace. There aren't enough games with qualities like that being made anymore. :(

NeededSleep

Oh man, i started getting awesome flashbacks to lands of lore while looking at the steam page.

Gonna defiantly pick this up, and if its good one for my father too. He hasn't touched a pc game since lands of lore and diablo 2.

Pre-ordered through the developer's site!

I'm pumped for this game, it looks great. My last dungeon crawler remotely like this was the first Etrian Odyssey.

I never played them, but I feel like they'd loose all the tactics if it wasn't turn based.

Read about sidestepping technique or opening/closing doors one.

More than often it was a dexterity game not tactics one. Who clicks faster (there were no keyboard shortcuts) and survives.

Philia

BOUGHT because I loved Might and Magic III and Shining the Holy Ark and yeah other dungeon crawlers lmao. <3

dejan

Read about sidestepping technique or opening/closing doors one.

More than often it was a dexterity game not tactics one. Who clicks faster (there were no keyboard shortcuts) and survives.

... and it makes for awesome speed runs. Avoiding combat suddenly becomes some kind of weird meta game.

Minsc

Gold Member
I never played them, but I feel like they'd loose all the tactics if it wasn't turn based.

It is sorta turn based, just in real-time. :) It works great, you can issue attacks every so many seconds and so on, so it does have some turn based elements to it. The dungeons feel more alive in pseudo-real time, and your actions are simple are simple enough that a hard locked turn-based system isn't really needed. You can see an example of the more complex dodging techniques talked about above here, which at first glance might seem cheap, but it's part of the system and not necessarily simple to do if you have multiple enemies from different directions chasing you and holes in the floor.

It is sorta turn based, just in real-time. :) It works great, you can issue attacks every so many seconds and so on, so it does have some turn based elements to it. The dungeons feel more alive in pseudo-real time, and your actions are simple are simple enough that a hard locked turn-based system isn't really needed. You can see an example of the more complex dodging techniques talked about above here, which at first glance might seem cheap, but it's part of the system and not necessarily simple to do if you have multiple enemies from different directions chasing you and holes in the floor.

Needs to have some sort of auto ammo pick up. Picking up every knife you throw is a time waster.

scy

While I had already pre-ordered, this really does help sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom