• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FIFA World Cup 2011 Final Japan vs USA |OT| - JAPAN WINS

Status
Not open for further replies.
iefJZA.png

Quick Facts

• Japan are playing in their first final while the US have won the trophy twice.
  • In 25 matches between them, Japan have never beaten the US and have only managed three draws.
  • In their most recent clashes, they suffered a pair of 0-2 defeats within four days of each other in May.

Kick-Off Sunday 17th

19.45pm GMT (EuroSport for UK viewers)
2.45pm EST (ESPN as well in additional to being shown online on ESPN3)

Pre-match quotes

U.S. Women’s National Team head coach PIA SUNDHAGE

On what Japan is doing against teams like Germany and Sweden to be effective despite the players’ small stature:

“In my opinion, first of all, they have some good players regardless of how tall or short they are and they do it together. Everybody praises them for the way they attack. They keep possession and that’s a pretty good way to defend. But if you study the defending as well, they are very organized and they get numbers behind the ball. That’s the reason they are here. It’s a really good team. With set pieces, they are so much better today than a year ago.”
On whether the fact that the U.S. beat Japan three times earlier in the year means anything ahead of the World Cup final:

“A little bit of confidence and the fact that we are capable of winning against a technical team. Not only that, we bring up the way we played against Japan three times. Now, it’s a tournament. It’s a World Cup final. It means a little bit but we need to bring out the best performance on Sunday in order to win that game. You can’t rely on what happened a couple of months ago unless you look at it in order to gain some confidence and look at it in a positive way and that is what you should do. It is a balance because you can talk about that but at the same time we need to be on top of our game and on our toes. It’s a balance between how good are they and how good are we, defending and attacking.”
On what she does to keep nerves for becoming a factor for the players:

“I would say it’s a lot of coaching behind Alex Morgan coming off the bench, or Megan Rapinoe. It’s easy for all other coaches to say we have a team and the bench is very important. We have said that but also acted on it. You have to fight for your spot. I think a good example is [Lauren] Cheney. She wasn’t in the starting lineup when the [World Cup training camp] started. But the fact that she played and practiced so well so many times in practice, not only for a week, but consistently, we gave her the chance. And when she got the chance, she took it. Of course you prepare Megan Rapinoe to come off the bench. It’s about the team but also look at the specific individual. I have to say that it is different nowadays with the new generation. They are very good. Sometimes you will say that, look at myself, I can do this, I’m good at this. If they also understand what it takes for team spirit and teamwork, they know what they’re good at and they bring that and they have a lot of courage to do that because they’re good. And, with a good team, they have a chance to perform.”
U.S. goalkeeper HOPE SOLO

On what kind of support the U.S. is expecting from neutral fans considering Japan’s story:

“That’s a great question. I think going into the Brazil game, the local German fans went into the game with their ticket in hand cheering for Brazil. As the game went on, I think that their fan base is so knowledgeable that they realized that the American team was fighting and I think that was inspirational. In that game, it shifted and we kind of gained the Germans’ support. So going into this game, with the Japanese being the sentimental favorite, I have no idea what way the fan base is going to go.

Carbonox

Definitely watching this. Surprised by the quality of Japan and USA but then again, I do not care for women's football much.

Japan has a certain FLOW that US lacks and that is why they will win. It's funny the bias that spews from commentators when they are talking about this game (Well they are American), they suddenly forget how good japan is and simply crown the US "Winners".

EDIT: the pictures in the OP should be of Wamback and Sawa (get a better picture of Sawa)

I will root for Japan because them winning the WC is the only way the German team can save its face :p
Like when the men lost to Italy in 2006 and Spain in 2010.

Help Me! said:
The women are more exciting to watch than the men. Hell, they could maybe even beat them.

I've seen more diving in one men's game than in the entire women's tournament. Probably because the women don't want the stigma of being "weak".

Sleepy

FlightOfHeaven said:
I've seen more diving in one men's game than in the entire women's tournament. Probably because the women don't want the stigma of being "weak".

Or they don't want to hurt their boobs.

LQX

I wonder how many will root for Japan based only on the fact they love anime. Will watch for the legs.

Esiquio

GTP_Daverytimes said:
Japan has a certain FLOW that US lacks and that is why they will win. It's funny the bias that spews from commentators when they are talking about this game (Well they are American), they suddenly forget how good japan is and simply crown the US "Winners".

EDIT: the pictures in the OP should be of Wamback and Sawa (get a better picture of Sawa)

Just like Brazil. AMIRITE?

usa-brazil-2011-soccer-world-cup.jpg

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
^ No fucking surprises, really. Bigots will always remain bigots. Thankfully their country is being rotted from within - yes I went there.

LQX

Aruarian Reflection said:
http://i.imgur.com/MDTYS.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/koAQT.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/EoLf7.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
I see the liberals are out in full force to trying to paint others a certain way. And can we not post links and Facebook screenshots this time around just to start shit?

didn't the English do the same when it was England vs Germany in last men's WC?

or whenever England faces Argentina?

same shit... who cares

gutter_trash said:
didn't the English do the same when it was England vs Germany in last men's WC?

or whenever England faces Argentina?

same shit... who cares

It's not evoking past military conflicts that is the issue [at least to me], but the persecution and victim complex at the idea of Pearl Harbour only now being avenged. Apparently these people either don't know of what happened at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or they feel it still wasn't enough and the US has a 'score to settle'. It's not so much as bigotry or insensitive but just plain retarded. How is it possible to know the name 'Pearl Harbour' and not know what happened after? These people vote in elections, smh lol

Meus Renaissance said:
It's not evoking past military conflicts that is the issue [at least to me], but the persecution and victim complex at the idea of Pearl Harbour only now being avenged. Apparently these people either don't know of what happened at Hiroshima and Nagasaki, or they feel it still wasn't enough and the US has a 'score to settle'. It's not so much as bigotry or insensitive but just plain retarded
they are simple minded peasants who never traveled and are clueless about life outside their borders and oceans... jokes on them

Kurtofan

Aruarian Reflection said:
http://i.imgur.com/koAQT.jpg[/MG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/ReUiY.jpg[/MG][/QUOTE]
I'm sure they would be the first to be outraged at 9/11 jokes,what a bunch of pricks.
edit: soccor lol.

gutter_trash said:
they are simple minded peasant who never traveled and are clueless about life outside their borders and oceans... jokes on them

It's a shame you didn't share this sentiment in the Pakistan thread last year when you were opposed to giving the country relief aid after the floods after a mob killing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom