• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driver PC Requires Always On Internet Connection (Ubisoft's PC DRM Returns)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems Ubisoft has returned to their old PC DRM setup.

Eurogamer said:
Driver PC: always-on internet required
PC by Wesley Yin-Poole
27/07/2011 @ 11:02

The PC version of Driver: San Francisco requires a permanent internet connection, Ubisoft has confirmed.

In a Tweet from the official Driver Twitter account in response to a follower question on the matter, community developer for Ubisoft on the Driver and Rabbids brand Mathieu Willem said: "PC version requires permanent internet connection."

Responding to a follower disappointed by the news, Willem Tweeted: "Bear in mind though that the PC version of DRVSF is released simultaneously to consoles."

Driver: San Francisco's game page on digital shop Steam sparked the discussion.

"3rd-party DRM: Ubisoft's Online Services Platform. Ubisoft requires a permanent internet connection to play this video game at all times," Steam says.

Meanwhile, in another Tweet, Ubisoft said with regards to the home console versions: "Online Uplay Passport activation required (once) for multiplayer and bonus features."

Uplay Passport is Ubisoft's version of the controversial online pass. It costs £7.99 on PS3 and PC while Xbox 360 owners pay 800 Points (£6.80).

"Uplay Passport-enhanced" games require gamers to input a code to unlock online modes and other "exclusive features". New retail versions include the code, while second-hand buyers must stump up for access.

Driver: San Francisco will be the first game to incorporate the system when it launches on 2nd September.

Ubisoft has endured a difficult time with PC gamers over its always-on internet DRM.

Last year the company told Eurogamer that its "online services platform" for PC games will "evolve and improve" but was here to stay.

"Most forthcoming Ubisoft PC titles will use our online services platform," a spokesperson explained, adding, "As with any online technology, we are constantly working to evolve and improve it."

Ubisoft's online platform requires PC gamers to be connected to the internet while they play. But problems arise when authentication servers are unavailable or unresponsive. This was felt first with Assassin's Creed II and Silent Hunter V and then with Settlers 7.

The result has been fans unable to play games they've purchased, sometimes for days at a time.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-27-driver-pc-always-on-internet-required

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Responding to a follower disappointed by the news, Willem Tweeted: "Bear in mind though that the PC version of DRVSF is released simultaneously to consoles."

The implication here makes no sense; a simultaneous release on PC needs less onerous DRM since it's 100% guaranteed that the 360 copy will be pirated at/before release so the "benefit" of the DRM in terms of preventing PC version piracy will be lessened by that.

Saty

Those of you who are planning to get the new Driver game on the PC, take heed.
In a Tweet from the official Driver Twitter account in response to a follower question on the matter, community developer for Ubisoft on the Driver and Rabbids brand Mathieu Willem said: "PC version requires permanent internet connection."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-07-27-driver-pc-always-on-internet-required
http://twitter.com/#!/DriverGame/status/95905062156632064

Hm..wonder if that's the trade-off for all future Ubisoft games. A delayed PC version with no always-online drm vs. day and date with console version but with that drm.

Red

Stumpokapow said:
The implication here makes no sense; a simultaneous release on PC needs less onerous DRM since it's 100% guaranteed that the 360 copy will be pirated at/before release so the "benefit" of the DRM in terms of preventing PC version piracy will be lessened by that.
Yes, but what do you expect? This seems to be the generation of bad decisions.

snap0212

Nuclear Muffin said:
Seems that they'll never learn...
They've learned. Gamers do bitch a lot, but they also ignore that they can only vote with their wallet. They'll buy the game anyways.

Gamers have shown that they're willing to deal with pretty much everything. There is absolutely no need for any Publisher to not constantly screw over the customer. They simply do not care about you, your hate for DRM or anything like that. They think it's a good idea, their investors see that they're trying to fight piracy and the sales numbers don't really decrease. The game will still get pirated to hell and back, of course, but they can at least say they've tried and since gamers in general are not willing to vote with their wallet if this means that they won't be able to play X nothing will change.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
snap0212 said:
They've learned. Gamers do bitch a lot, but they also ignore that they can only vote with their wallet. They'll buy the game anyways.

Wait, you think Driver is going to sell well?

Red

@snap: "vote with your wallet" is a lot harder than it sounds. You can't blame this on the consumer. If someone wants to play this game on PC, their only legitimate option is a gimped DRM-heavy release. They aren't being given a choice. Also, I've been "voting with my wallet" by not buying any Call of Duty the past five years, what's that gained me? You can't simply organize a boycot en masse.

RE: Sales comments, I bet the game does a million or so anyway. They will probably market it, the brand has some weight. It's not like it's a defunct genre. Kane and Lynch still managed a million. I bet it'll still get reduced price but I don't think it will be as colossal as SotD or CoE
Saty said:
Hm..wonder if that's the trade-off for all future Ubisoft games. A delayed PC version with no always-online drm vs. day and date with console version but with that drm.
AC2 was delayed and still had this bullshit. They don't know what they want.. it seems like some jackass at Ubisoft is forcing it through on most products. I'm not buying Rayman, From Dust or any other Ubi title with it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Weenerz said:
First From Dust and now Driver, Ubisoft is really fucking up when it comes to supporting PC gamers.
From Dust too? Damn, I can't buy that on PC now if that's true.

snap0212

Crunched said:
@snap: "vote with your wallet" is a lot harder than it sounds. You can't blame this on the consumer. If someone wants to play this game on PC, their only legitimate option is a gimped DRM-heavy release. They aren't being given a choice. Also, I've been "voting with my wallet" by not buying any Call of Duty the past five years, what's that gained me? You can't simply organize a boycot en masse.
There's always the option to not buy the game at all.

A boycott would be the only way to show them “nope, enough is enough”, but (as you've said) that's simply not possible. We have to understand one thing, though: It's not a stupid decision since it doesn't impact them in a negative way. They don't lose money by implementing this DRM and pissing off the vocal minority usually isn't a big deal (business wise).

Ubisoft knows that this won't stop pirates from downloading the game or from cracking it. They also know that only a small group of people will be upset about this and that this is not a big deal (sales wise). :)

Segnit

Banned
Very disappointing. I love AssCreed & Tom Clancy stuff and the honest truth is that I haven't bought a single Ubisoft game since they've started always on DRM. I know I'm the minority but buying games with always on DRM is not an option. Like ever.

Get lost Ubisoft.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
walking fiend said:
is it bannable if I confess that I may pirate a game?

Well, yes.

The question is whether or not it's bannable if you imply that you'd confess to planning on pirating a game if it wasn't bannable. Edit: well, looks like another mod came to a conclusion on that question ;)

scitek

If the game's awesome, I'll wait until the price drops below $10 and crack the shit out of it. Fuck off, Ubi.

PaulLFC

Ubisoft's trend of treating PC gamers like crap continues.

I was going to buy this as well. That's £30 you've lost Ubisoft, congratulations.

KKRT00

Segnit said:
Very disappointing. I love AssCreed & Tom Clancy stuff and the honest truth is that I haven't bought a single Ubisoft game since they've started always on DRM. I know I'm the minority but buying games with always on DRM is not an option. Like ever.

Get lost Ubisoft.
This, i would love to buy Settlers 7/HAWX 2, but i cant even run demos properly. Ubisoft's DRM is the worst anty-piracy measure ever released, even worse than starforce.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
they'll patch it out 6 months later anyway. See you on the next summer Steam sale.

Kabouter

Never had a problem with it in games like The Settlers 7, so I really don't mind. That said, as long as that jumping between cars function is in the game, Driver really doesn't interest me anyway.

Leonsito

1. Release a game with ridiculous DRM.
2. Complain about low sales due to the piracy.
3. Cancel future PC versions
4. ???
5. Profit

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Weenerz said:
The day before release, they announced that it was coming to the PC 3 weeks later.
That's it? I have to wait 3 weeks for it? As long as it doesn't include shitty DRM and is a solid port. I could wait a year.

Red

snap0212 said:
There's always the option to not buy the game at all.

A boycott would be the only way to show them “nope, enough is enough”, but (as you've said) that's simply not possible. We have to understand one thing, though: It's not a stupid decision since it doesn't impact them in a negative way. They don't lose money by implementing this DRM and pissing off the vocal minority usually isn't a big deal (business wise).

Ubisoft knows that this won't stop pirates from downloading the game or from cracking it. They also know that only a small group of people will be upset about this and that this is not a big deal (sales wise). :)
Yes, but then why implement this sort of DRM at all?

I guess the voting analogy falls apart for me because I see it as being given a nonchoice: it's not allowing you to choose between product A with DRM and product B with no DRM; it's saying, vote for product A or don't vote at all.

I don't think it will impact this particular release much at all, but it's indicative of a larger problem. DRM this strict simply contributes to an atmosphere that encourages piracy, it's that simple.

Also, am I the only one offended by the response "but the PC version releases on the same date"? Like he's doing us a fucking favor.

why dont companies understand that to include DRM they have to make it BETTER than it was without DRM? just look at steam, the are rolling in money BECAUSE they created user friendly and product-enhancing DRM

Herp a derp let's make it a pain in the ass to buy and play our game and then ppl will definitely buy our game

bunch of idiots.

rac

Banned
What is the point in having this type of drm anyways? Won't the pirates just crack it day one? So the pirates get a better version of a game then the people that actually buy it, great.

SmokyDave

TouchMyBox said:
Is there a single person on GAF who was semi-interested in this game?
Me :(

If this happens with Trackmania 2, I'm naming a kitten 'Ubisoft' and then drowning it in a canal.

rac said:
What is the point in having this type of drm anyways? Won't the pirates just crack it day one? So the pirates get a better version of a game then the people that actually buy it, great.
I don't know but if someone were to crack it so that I could play it while Steam is in offline mode, I'd consider that person an (unethical, illegal, immoral) hero.

PaulLFC

rac said:

Unfortunately, almost certainly true. Ubisoft doesn't seem to realise this for some reason, or just doesn't care.

rac said:

exactly dude, when someone who steals your game has a better experience than someone who buys it, you have a problem. use your fucking brains ubi, GAWD

epmode

Ubi's already lost quite a bit of money from me due to this policy, what's one more game?

In related news, I'm going to be so torn if Trackmania 2 ships with this garbage. Even though the online mode is integral to that series...

szaromir

Banned
That's just idiotic. Online verification while launching a game is already very harsh, but this is just idiotic. Once again pirates will get superior single player experience.

Red

SmokyDave said:
Me :(

If this happens with Trackmania 2, I'm naming a kitten 'Ubisoft' and then drowning it in a canal.

I don't know but if someone were to crack it so that I could play it while Steam is in offline mode, I'd consider that person an (unethical, illegal, immoral) hero.
Are no cd cracks against the law? Also, I'd certainly consider the guy ethical and moral. It's Ubi in the wrong here, this is clearly an anti-consumer practice.

This type of DRM has literally never worked.

Top Bottom