• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Driver PC Requires Always On Internet Connection (Ubisoft's PC DRM Returns)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Joseph Merrick said:
it will depend on the popularity of the game how fast the crack groups can get it done, I think. but I have no idea how popular driver is, as the series has never interested me.. well except for driv3r bugs

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to skip games like this on general principles from now on.

Really not loving where the video game industry has gone this generation.

• Sell now, fix later line of thinking with the rise of downloadable patches and broadband internet.
  • Games with invasive DRMs.
  • Games requiring services.
  • Games requiring internet access for single player.
  • Games with store exclusive content.
  • Games with "limited" editions or special releases with bonus content.
  • DD content announcements before game launches.
  • DD content found on disks.
  • DDs of individual classic titles instead of nice, boxed collections.
  • In-game advertising.
  • Upgrades of titles as individual, full priced games instead of expansions.
  • No upgrade option for early adopters of later upgraded games.

I'm running out of companies to give my money to.

Twinduct

Wasn't planning to buy this. But got me thinking, yes DRM is annoying and yes this is DRM at its worst (or atleast somewhere there with the shitty starforce).

But doesn't this kinda become redundant with platform like steam? Yes I know, you can't really play it offline, when you go to the springs or someplace where there is no Internet Connection (in all fairness, last thing you should be doing is gaming if you do go to a place like that).

But with steam, you're online anyway (unless you do the whole 'go offline' thing). I can see how this DRM is a more 'acceptable' thing from Ubi's point.

Then again, personally I won't touch anything like this with a ten foot pole out of shear principle. Doesn't that make me hypocritical though?

NinjaFromTheFuture said:

• Sell now, fix later line of thinking with the rise of downloadable patches and broadband internet.
  • In-game advertising.

go pc indie exclusivo. it's the only way to be sure

Joseph Merrick said:
go pc indie exclusivo. it's the only way to be sure
Yeah, I've more or less come to that conclusion myself. That and older PC games I missed and handheld titles.

Crunched said:
But then he can't get his nice boxes.
Occasionally some of them will get a small print of a popular game going.

NinjaFromTheFuture said:

• In-game advertising.

Make sure you buy red orchestra 2 and support tripwire.
Also support GoG.

ElRenoRaven

Oh Ubisoft you. You so silly. Just another reason I don't buy their games anymore. Course I had no intention of buying it in the first place after what the hell they did to the game.

danmaku

scitek said:
That's what I don't get. The only thing I can think is that maybe they just want it in the games for a short window of time after release, and then they'll stealthily patch it out months later.

That's exactly what they want. They need their DRM to work during the first weeks of sales because that's when those games make most of their profit: when the advertising and the hype machine is at maximum. After that, they can remove it (and they know it will be cracked anyway). Of course, if the game is cracked on day 1 (or -1) then it's totally useless.

xXJonoXx

Meh, just another bad day for DRM. Surprised lot of people still get surprised they include it. It's useless, annoying, and just expected at this point. Game still looks amazing, but I will probably just get it on PS3 at launch and PC later once it's below $20 for the master race graphics / modding superiority.

Goldmund

This is harmless. Wait till they require you to send in (postage is on you) weekly sperm samples and reports on your physical and mental health to keep your copy unlocked. Why should you be allowed to play their game if your future kids' potential physical/mental disability might keep them from playing the inevitable sequels? That's not the kind of lineage Ubisoft has in mind.

and I thought this new Driver game looked great. I'm still going to pick it up, but the value just decreased immensely. Where I would have got it sooner for cheaper, I'll wait now. Same for Assassin's Creed Revelations if that goes back to this DRM.

jett

D-Member
I don't understand why does Ubisoft bother, only thing this does is generate bad press among PC gamers. The 360 version will get pirated probably days before the actual release and the PC version will undoubtedly get cracked.

brotkasten said:
Actually, it looks pretty good and it runs with 60 fps on consoles.

That's news to me.

Reading about Ubi wanting this to be a big franchise is hilarious.

Has it ever sold well? I played the first three and they were utterly shit, no idea what they did after that. It's hard to believe anyone likes the series enough to even give it another chance.

Goldmund

Foliorum Viridum said:

Has it ever sold well? I played the first three and they were utterly shit, no idea what they did after that. It's hard to believe anyone likes the series enough to even give it another chance.
The first Driver was dumb fun, it wasn't shit. You got missions from your answering machine. How cool is that?

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
Foliorum Viridum said:

Original game on PS1 was critically acclaimed actually. It was an amazing achievement for the platform.

legbone

man, this is unfortunate. i'm still there day one on consoles though. i've been a fan of reflections studios since they were published by psygnosis and did the destruction derby games on ps1. the first driver game was far from crap by the way. it has been on several lists of best psone titles (and ranked highly). it was one of the best driving games on the playstation and was a huge hit. martin edmondson was the MAN behind the first driver game and he is the creative director for this new one and has stated they are returning to their roots. 60 fps and looks great. this game is the arcade racing game to beat for driving game of the year. mark my words. well, at least i hope so. i loved the first driver game and have been hoping for a comeback since the later games in the series were mediocre to say the least. anyway, sorry for the rant. i'm sorry for pc users about this drm. it sucks. but please don't bash the game because of what the publisher has decided to do. please think of the developers once in a while.

edit: i see there are people that share my opinion. btw, hey NE1WeKnow. looks like we may be the official driver defense force. heh heh.

NE1WeKnow

Neo Member
legbone said:
...Rant...

edit: i see there are people that share my opinion. btw, hey NE1WeKnow. looks like we may be the official driver defense force. heh heh.
Yeah I feel like I'm so alone in this love for Driver. I'm not a crazy person - the burning rubber, peeling out, insane drifting, crashes and chases just appeals and like the original Driver, Driver SF is bringing it all back. And with no less than licensed cars this time - I must be dreaming :D

Dunno why so many have a hard time looking past the previous dubious versions in the franchise and can't just judge what this new version is about on it's own merits.

Does suck about the DRM but you don't win the fight by boycotting the game. It just hurts the developer. Instead, buy the game in big numbers and hope Ubisoft patches out the always on DRM. In the meantime u have a great game to enjoy??? Sounds like fair compensation to me :lol

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Remember when developers allowed you to make a full install so you wouldn't even need to have the CD on the tray?

Good times.

This industry is so fucking backwards.

So out of interest, if they release patches for this game on consoles does that mean Driver updates no longer count as a PC gaming disadvantage?

derFeef

Funky Papa said:
Remember when developers allowed you to make a full install so you wouldn't even need to have the CD on the tray?

Good times.

What, I don't remember this. Must have been a selected few games only.

The M.O.B

The AC2 DRM was cracked and pirated before the game had even been out for 24 hrs, same thing will happen for this.

Pirates are gonna pirate!

Whomever made this decision in Ubi is an idiot.

bee

the reason they use this is cos the latest iteration of it actually works, as i said earlier in the thread, hawx 2 remains uncracked since novemeber 2010

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
derFeef said:
It happened during the maturity of the CD format. Blood allowed you to copy the Smack videos to a special folder so you could play without a CD and using MIDI music instead of red book audio.

It wasn't the norm, but a bunch of games gave you the option to perform full installs (very costly, since they could take up to 800 MB, and most people's drives were 2.5 GB or less.) Then Safedisc and Laserlock came to fuck everyone in the ass.

Well, no buy then. I´m fortunate that no games that has come with install limits, intrusive extra DRM or even this kind of always online nonsense have been must buy titles for me. At best they have been "Well, maybe I should check it out" titles, and with DRM like this, then I don´t check them out.

If titles like Portal 2 or The Witcher would have had these kind of drm schemes, then I would have been put to the test, where I would see just how strong my principles against DRM like this really are. But so far, I have been able to skip them all without any feeling on missing out on something I should play. The only ones I know that I would have bought on Steam sales if it weren´t for the drm is the latest Settlers game and Blood Bowl (securom game).

Publishers like Ubisoft seem confident enough in their titles that they expect me to beg them to let me play their titles, but I prefer to spend my money on titles from devs that value me as a customer.

bee said:
the reason they use this is cos the latest iteration of it actually works, as i said earlier in the thread, hawx 2 remains uncracked since novemeber 2010

How much has the PC version sold so far?

freddy

Banned
NE1WeKnow said:
Does suck about the DRM but you don't win the fight by boycotting the game. It just hurts the developer. :lol
I don't see a problem here. I'm all for less developers making games with DRM.

Polk

Funky Papa said:

Good times.

Well, all UbiSoft games with their DRM allow playing game without disc in drive.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Funky Papa said:

Good times.

What games were those? That was an incredibly rare thing and, when it did occur, it was often patched in later. Most games required that you left the CD/DVD in the drive while playing.

NBtoaster

The M.O.B said:
The AC2 DRM was cracked and pirated before the game had even been out for 24 hrs, same thing will happen for this.

Pirates are gonna pirate!

Whomever made this decision in Ubi is an idiot.

According to Wikipedia it took over a month.

MMaRsu

Banned
Arghhhhh 60fps on consoles too goddamnit now I actually want it.

Maybe I'll buy it second hand. Maybe.

derFeef said:

Actually quite a few titles used this system, though the only one I can come up with right now is the amazing Douglas Adam game Starship Titanic. Full install baby, you dont need those 3 discs!

Top Bottom