• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Announces Q1 Results - Cuts Profit Forecast 82%

Vinci said:
Or they could have released something that isn't virtually fucking the same as the prior handheld with nothing more than 3D SCREEN WHOO!!! as the selling point.

Well that's pretty much obvious. And when your best game 4-5 months down the line from launch is a remake of a 1998 game...

Vinci

Danish
CarbonatedFalcon said:
Well that's pretty much obvious. And when your best game 4-5 months down the line from launch is a remake of a 1998 game...

Nah, I'm just saying that the other variations of DS weren't really the problem - the problem was that the 3DS, from concept to execution, was pretty damn botched. Just making a point that the two things aren't cause and effect, IMO.

ElFly

Goldrusher said:
And what do they do:

- they introduced the Wii U as if it was a handheld or a Wii peripheral, not as a next-gen home console

This sounds like a problem, yeah.

Maybe it's one of the reasons they won't be selling individual controllers, or at least a free benefit from that decision.

thirty

Banned
Anyone else have a feeling that WiiU is gonna kill Nintendo as we know them today? Smartphones eating their lunch on handhelds, ms and Sony eating their lunch on console. Nintendo left with a stale cheese sandwich. That pokemon cellphone game may just be to test the waters for the future. They'd make bank if they removed hardware from the picture.

StevieP

Banned
thirty said:
Anyone else have a feeling that WiiU is gonna kill Nintendo as we know them today? Smartphones eating their lunch on handhelds, ms and Sony eating their lunch on console. Nintendo left with a stale cheese sandwich. That pokemon cellphone game may just be to test the waters for the future. They'd make bank if they removed hardware from the picture.

A+, would read again.

thirty said:

I would personally love to see Nintendo go third party. I only buy their systems for the first party games so it would be one less console to have to buy...

clashfan

Brera said:
That's what you get for treating your consumers like chumps.

They wise up.

I don't think they treated consumers like chumps. The got caught in a changing market. They didn't expect smartphones would eat so much into dedicated hand market.

Jokeropia

thirty said:
You just want to get tag quoted, don't you?

clashfan said:
I don't think they treated consumers like chumps. The got caught in a changing market. They didn't expect smartphones would eat so much into dedicated hand market.

So to counter that they released a handheld at a price higher than an iphone or ipod touch?

thirty

Banned
Quoted for what? The next gen machines from Sony and MS have a good chance of squeezing the WiiU out due to the tech gap and the handheld space has changed. I don't see how people here can just ignore all that and say Nintendo will be fine if they just keep doing what they do. They'll self destruct if they do. It's time to change. Either they need an app store that rivals apple and googles or they need to get on board with phone apps of their own. It's pretty obvious. Both Sony and ms have actually started leaning this direction themselves in the mobile phone space.

1-D_FTW

Cygnus X-1 said:
Sony, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sega, Capcom, Square, Bandai, EA, Activision, ......

It doesn't matter who wins and who lose between these actors of the videogaming market. They all contributed in creating an industry that offers fun with high added value. But I will never stop be against the low cost, small apps gaming which is seriously destroying the market that keep existing since the first games in the sixties came out.

The videogaming market evolves....but such an outcome, i.e. a slow death without a true crash.
This is the worst menace this industry ever saw. A direct attack to what we call content, art, imagination, detail and cutting edge technology.

Is this really the future of handheld gaming? I really, really hope Sony and Nintendo will be able to prevent this bleak future.

A little melodramatic, don't you think? If you're gonna conjure up the sixties, at least acknowledge the vast majority of gaming's life has been focused on simple, arcade style games. It's what the industry was founded on and it's what will always drive it. I've vacillated back and forth between arcade and epic styles, but simple is good. It's not some great menace that snuffs out Epic's breath when it sleeps. They can co-exist so long as Epic gets its shit in order. Dude's on an epic binge and he better watch himself.

Vinci said:
Or they could have released something that isn't virtually fucking the same as the prior handheld with nothing more than 3D SCREEN WHOO!!! as the selling point.
With the exception of the DS, has there ever been a new generations of handhelds that were not just better graphics than the previous one?

I just don't seem to recall the doom and gloom that SNES-approximate graphics were going to kill the GBA.

Jokeropia

thirty said:
Quoted for what? The next gen machines from Sony and MS have a good chance of squeezing the WiiU out due to the tech gap and the handheld space has changed. I don't see how people here can just ignore all that and say Nintendo will be fine if they just keep doing what they do. They'll self destruct if they do. It's time to change.
This generation, Nintendo made ~$19 billion while Sony lost ~$4 billion and MS lost ~$1 billion. Having one unprofitable quarter (due to "R&D expenses and currency exchanges") is not reason to throw a hissy fit.

Also, the Pokemon game you referred to is a free promotional spin-off, similar to previous non-Nintendo system Pokemon releases such as the Pokémon PC games, the free to play online game or the cell phone game from 2006.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I would just like to calm the panic and cool the flames by reminding everyone that Nintendo has been in business for 113 years, and they do seem to be good at adapting to survive. I'd also like to remind folks that business (especially on this scale) in not decided in terms of weeks, or even months. Companies like Nintendo think in terms of years and more.

As others have said, Nintendo has made a shitload of money, and they continue to do so. They have a lot of cash. Do you think a decision like the 3DS price drop happens overnight? That Iwata just upended the financial tea table yesterday? All businesses operate with plans and contingencies. Remember that Nintendo figured that the original DS might fail; they were ready to absorb that if it happened; they can absolutely absorb this. They obviously projected better sales, and were overconfident in that regard; and clearly they weren't hitting targets, so this is plan B.

Woe is Nintendo, they may "only" make another couple billion dollars in profit by next spring.

Even if the 3DS proves to be an ultimate failure and it never picks up the momentum it lost, it is folly to think Nintendo is going to collapse overnight. They'll try again. If the Wii U tanks? They figure something out. Even if they're a very different beast than they are now in 10 years, I think they'll still be around and making money. Maybe it won't be in the way we as games players would prefer, but they will.

Hey, at least 2011 is turning out to be a dramatic and exciting year! Always new stuff to think about.

Luckyman

Banned
thirty said:

IMO everyone will be removed from the hardware picture after next-gen in terms of shipping plain old game consoles.

yurinka

It's time to release as soon as possible Mario 3DS, in addition to some Pokemon and some new disruptive casual title like they did with Brain Training or Wii Fit in the past.

Because I don't believe a pricecut would be good for them.
Jokeropia said:
This generation, Nintendo made ~$19 billion while Sony lost ~$4 billion and MS lost ~$1 billion. Having one unprofitable quarter (due to "R&D expenses and currency exchanges") is not reason to throw a hissy fit.

Also, the Pokemon game you referred to is a free promotional spin-off, similar to previous non-Nintendo system Pokemon releases such as the Pokémon PC games, the free to play online game or the cell phone game from 2006.
It isn't just a quarter, and it isn't just a profit/looses thing.

Looking at the OP sales numbers, there is a general pattern : looks like their sales were growing until 2008 where they peaked and started to decline. This quarter just follows the pattern.

ShockingAlberto said:
With the exception of the DS, has there ever been a new generations of handhelds that were not just better graphics than the previous one?

I just don't seem to recall the doom and gloom that SNES-approximate graphics were going to kill the GBA.

The GBA was following the same software strategy as the GB. The types of games that were popular on the GB continued to be popular on the GBA. So there was no negative market reaction to a new console that continued a successful software strategy. With the 3DS, the visual improvement is causing a shift in the type of software that is being released. The popular 2D and pick-up-and-play games have been de-emphasized (or abandoned) in favor of games that show off the 3D effect.

As far as graphics are concerned, no one is saying that graphical improvement is bad. What people are saying (Iwata among them, back in '05) is that overshooting - improving any feature beyond the needs of the market, and using said feature as a major selling point - is bad. When the GBA was released, the graphical improvement was appreciated because it improved the quality of the games in a way that the majority of the market could appreciate. HD graphics and 3D are overshooting the needs of the market because the average customer is not motivated to buy products based on the improvements these features offer. There's a huge difference between introducing improvements that the market demands and introducing improvements that the market is apathetic towards.

Jokeropia

yurinka said:

Looking at the OP sales numbers, there is a general pattern : looks like their sales were growing until 2008 where they peaked and started to decline. This quarter just follows the pattern.
Yes, it's just one quarter of losses. And the point is that Nintendo can get along fine even with relative failures like the N64 and GCN (which were both profitable). It's way to early to say anything about how the upcoming generation will turn out at this point, but Nintendo doesn't need a success equal to Wii in order to stay healthy.

ASIS

yurinka said:

This is actually pretty normal since Nintendo is planning to exit this generation.

outunderthestars said:
I would personally love to see Nintendo go third party. I only buy their systems for the first party games so it would be one less console to have to buy...

Nah, look at what happened to Sega. They used to have shit awesome first party games then when they went third party they took a nose dive hardcore and haven't come back.

Nintendo needs to be the system maker.

yurinka

Jokeropia said:
Yes, it's just one quarter of losses. And the point is that Nintendo can get along fine even with relative failures like the N64 and GCN (which were both profitable). It's way to early to say anything about how the upcoming generation will turn out at this point, but Nintendo doesn't need a success equal to Wii in order to stay healthy.
I agree.

I think they are going down, but it's normal because they reached a really high place.

The question is how are going to perform 3DS and WiiU in a year or two. I think they won't reach current DS and Wii numbers, but I think they will perform ok, I think they will stop this pattern but not sure if too late.

3DS needs games and Wii U too with Mario 3DS as only huge console seller in the horizon. Same goes with the price, I doubt Wii U will be so cheap considering this controller screen.

yurinka said:

You mean the same sales pattern as any console generation shows? That's not much to go by. I think Nintendo is "doomed" to a far lower level of success than they've enjoyed the last several years, but I doubt there's any reason to worry for the company as a whole.

mango drank

mcfrank said:
nintendo.png

I updated this with the crucial cause of Nintendo's problems. Yen strength, Sony, Microsoft... none of those matter compared to the App Store.

No, those dips are the global economy taking a nosedive. Look, Apple is overlaid here in red. It looks very similar to Nintendo. Apple's stock eventually picked up, but only about 9-10 months after the release of the iOS App Store.

243q36h.jpg

I'm sure you can find plenty of other big tech companies (and non-tech companies) that followed this same decline in '08/'09.

Amir0x

Banned
Brera said:
That's what you get for treating your consumers like chumps.

They wise up.

Hopefully the way they acted with Wii/DS, abandoning their core, has taught them a lesson about the need to be audacious with your hardcore talents as well as their casual shit.

Just a bunch of new hardcore IPs with the marketing budget of a Wii Fit/Wii Sports, but the development budget of a Legend of Zelda... so sorely needed. Compete with the Sony's and the Microsoft's, but with Nintendo's development talent? Sony creates a billion new IPs each gen, but it costs money. Nintendo has it, they should have invested when their systems were blowing up.

How I wish that Nintendo would return, dropping phat new beats to the people who were there from the start. Not just cynically pandering to them with MARIO.BEEP.ZELDA.METROID.BLOOP.

TheNatural

My Member!
Amir0x said:
Hopefully the way they acted with Wii/DS, abandoning their core, has taught them a lesson about the need to be audacious with your hardcore talents as well as their casual shit.

Just a bunch of new hardcore IPs with the marketing budget of a Wii Fit/Wii Sports, but the development budget of a Legend of Zelda... so sorely needed. Compete with the Sony's and the Microsoft's, but with Nintendo's development talent? Sony creates a billion new IPs each gen, but it costs money. Nintendo has it, they should have invested when their systems were blowing up.

How I wish that Nintendo would return, dropping phat new beats to the people who were there from the start. Not just cynically pandering to them with MARIO.BEEP.ZELDA.METROID.BLOOP.

Fans abandoned them before Nintendo decided to change their focus, it's not like they did it for the hell of it. The Gamecube and N64 sold like shit, even though there were some damn good games for it. Especially the Gamecube, which was cheap as all hell, even if it didn't have a ton of games it was well worth the mere $100 or so it was most of it's life to play some of those games. If people would have bought the Gamecube, the Wii era focus would have never happened.

Amir0x

Banned
TheNatural said:
Fans abandoned them before Nintendo decided to change their focus, it's not like they did it for the hell of it. The Gamecube and N64 sold like shit, even though there were some damn good games for it. Especially the Gamecube, which was cheap as all hell, even if it didn't have a ton of games it was well worth the mere $100 or so it was most of it's life to play some of those games. If people would have bought the Gamecube, the Wii era focus would have never happened.

We didn't abandon them. Nintendo's got the same core 30 million fans they've always had. It's just to get the rest, they have to be more than just Nintendo. They did that with Wii/DS - but they did it at the expense of us 30 million who always chill with them.

People always try to say that's not true, and to do that just throw off another list of Mario, Zelda and Metroid games. Yes some of these are still great games, but you can't rest on it forever. Just like Sony, they need to be creating a stable of new hardcore IPs each gen with big budgets that they push and develop. And with Nintendo's talent, they'd be unbeatable.

Hopefully Wii U represents a more balanced approach. If it's like Wii again, it's going to be hard to stomach. I want Mario, Zelda and Metroid, but not if that is the only damn thing Nintendo can ever make for us.

David Gibson is livetweeting from Nintendo's supplemental results meeting in (I think) Tokyo. Looking forward to the transcript (I hope) tomorrow, though the lack of a presentation makes me wonder if we'll have to wait a bit longer than usual.

gibbogame David Gibson
No share buy-back as short term, focused on long term, shareholder return comes from improving 3ds by year end
3 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Need to be more flexible and work with other platforms and use them. Hardware+soft brings value
4 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
No intention to sell ip on other platforms,but need to take advantage of other platforms they don't have to increase the value of software
6 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Not concerned about people getting tiredness from 3d, will be doing software that is not 3ds focus, perhaps digital side
14 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
For 3ds and wiiu we are strongly aiming on digital side
26 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Digital is where we are yet to expand and where we are aiming for, been doing trial and error so far
27 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Plan very soon to announce strategy for combination of digital and packaged and synergy between the two
28 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Original DS at 15000yen was not profitable and 3ds is further unprofitable, as volume expands cost down effect
32 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
On price cut large us retailer told them "feel like christmas is already here"
35 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Needs to deliver game experience what mobile phones cannot offer
41 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Aim is to combine social and real networks, synergise and maximise, aiming for new software this fy and next
42 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Said has no conclusion yet on sns impact, claimed no correllation between sns growing and nint sales down
50 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Aim to recover trust by 3ds recovery, no slides or presentation, into q&a now with first question on sns impact from fido
51 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Iwata taking responsibility for 3ds,, taking 50% salary cut and other execs 30% cut, reduced bonuses too
53 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Retailers decide over summer for xmas, developers won't then reduce plans for next yr
55 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Price cut now because 1) so install base higher ahead of own title launches and hence success 2) message to developers and retailers
57 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
President iwata walks in carrying his macbook, ironic
1 hour ago

gibbogame David Gibson
3ds line-up for third party doesn't show MGS which is surprising, not sure if it was on list, could be a delay
1 hour ago

gibbogame David Gibson
At nintendo results meeting, supplimentary data shows mario party 9 for wii which is new but no date so could be next year
1 hour ago

Nix

Banned
Louis Cyphre said:
I wonder just how aggressive Nintendo will be with the pricing of the Wii U?

ONE HUNDRED...AND ONE AMERICAN DOLLARS!!!!!!!!! Roughly translates to 164 Euros...whoooo!!!!!!!

Man, Nintendo really is between a rock, and a hard as fuck place. Hate to see it happen to them, but with all their bullshit DS SKU revisions, I'm sorry, I needed them to wake the fuck up. They need to go back to the good ol' haydays of the gameboy and N64, back when they made sense, and were appreciative of their consumers.

Well, the WiiU price is probably going to tell me where they stand now. It's going to be at TGS right? Maybe? Nah, probably not.

StevieP said:
Iwata personally taking a 50% paycut because the 3DS isn't flying off the shelves? I said wow.

Oh. My. God.

What ever will he do with a million dollars instead of two million? How will he survive?

Seriously use that money to make some software for your systems.

StevieP

Banned
MidnightScott said:
Oh. My. God.

What ever will he do with a million dollars instead of two million? How will he survive?

You're missing the point, it seems. How many paycuts did Balmer take for RROD? How many did Hirai take for the PSP's failure to absolutely crush the DS like everyone in the gaming media said it would?

gerg

MidnightScott said:
Oh. My. God.

Well, that's probably what Nintendo will be doing with the money that Iwata would otherwise receive as part of his salary.

TheNatural

My Member!
Amir0x said:
We didn't abandon them. Nintendo's got the same core 30 million fans they've always had. It's just to get the rest, they have to be more than just Nintendo. They did that with Wii/DS - but they did it at the expense of us 30 million who always chill with them.

People always try to say that's not true, and to do that just throw off another list of Mario, Zelda and Metroid games. Yes some of these are still great games, but you can't rest on it forever. Just like Sony, they need to be creating a stable of new hardcore IPs each gen with big budgets that they push and develop. And with Nintendo's talent, they'd be unbeatable.

Hopefully Wii U represents a more balanced approach. If it's like Wii again, it's going to be hard to stomach. I want Mario, Zelda and Metroid, but not if that is the only damn thing Nintendo can ever make for us.

Well Gamecube sold about 20 million worldwide at a really cheap price and a lot of games. They had to do something, and pushing heavy hardware that Sony and Microsoft have been overall in the red in the gaming business isn't the way. Nintendo doesn't have music deals or Office products to comp losses. Microsoft lost enough with the original XBox and Sony lost enough with the PS3 to kill Sega several times over. The idea of new core franchises sounds good on paper - until you release those up against Call of Duty 12 and get your asses hammered.

Most average folks don't think the 3DS is a new system at all.

Nintendo made a mistake releasing too many models of the DS.

Also they do not realize this system has actual 3D. People have been describing 3D graphics in gaming as 3D for many years.

If these issues weren't enough, the price is too high. Is this actually worth the price for the 3D effect?

Lastly, lack of good games that make you want to run out and buy a system. I love the Ocarina of Time 3D but that alone is not enough.

I think the price drop will help some of the issues, but they have to show this system as a good value with a good library of games.

Sony's Vita shows promise but it still will be expensive and the mature FPS games don't often translate well to a handheld. We will see.

People aren't going to buy your system if they don't see games for it that they want. You expect them to buy a system for one game?

I don't know what happened but it seems like Nintendo is now taking hits like the rest of the Japanese game industry. Just cutting the price that much may continue to hurt them since they don't have software to back it up.

What happened to third parties already? :/

StevieP said:
Iwata personally taking a 50% paycut because the 3DS isn't flying off the shelves? I said wow.
He is taking a pay cut because they slashed profit forecasts by more than 80%. 3ds was a big reason for that.

StevieP

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
The Wii U is in quite a bit of trouble me thinks. I hope it really struggles (it will) so Nintendo wake the hell up.

Can I borrow your crystal ball? I have some ex's I'd like to check up on.

MisterHero

The 3DS price drop is really because it's the Secret Wii U controller

Zelda 8 Swords where you control 2 Links per player on 3 screens each

and yes you need 4 3DSes

Boney

Banned
Tricky I Shadow said:
The Wii U is in quite a bit of trouble me thinks. I hope it really struggles (it will) so Nintendo wake the hell up.
Shouldn't you be hoping they wake up with Wii U and it being awesome?

More tweets from Gibson. A few of the points seem a bit garbled, but I guess that's what happens when you livetweet a conference like this.

gibbogame David Gibson
Business is shifting towards 3rd party reliance, want to strengthen
17 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
For gamecube missed pric cut opportunity and this influenced 3ds decision to cut price, cash balance enables decision to cut price
18 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
We are already running, will see impact by year end, doesn't mean doing nothing untl year end
21 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
3D alone won't provide full satisfaction, other features important
25 minutes ago

gibbogame David Gibson
Wiiu is not limited to tv, is multiscreen and believe it is dramatic change from wii, believe tvs will be online and connect to smartphones
29 minutes ago

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mobile phones, tablets, PCs, and streaming games is where it's at.

There's no turning back. All console manufacturers will either become part of that world or be left behind.

edit: Nintendo President Loses $500M in Single Day

Former Nintendo Co. President Hiroshi Yamauchi’s wealth may have plunged more than $500 million today after the flop of the 3DS player forced the company to slash its profit forecast.

The value of Nintendo shares held by Yamauchi, the company’s largest single shareholder and great-grandson of the founder, tumbled as much as 42 billion yen ($540 million) after the stock’s plunge today in Osaka trading. Yamauchi, 83, owned 14.17 million shares, or 10 percent of Kyoto-based Nintendo, as of March 31, according to regulatory data compiled by Bloomberg.

Top Bottom