• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

DSN2K

top.png

Nintendo has today announced a global change in the trade pricing policy of Nintendo 3DS, this will be applicable from August 12th.

There have been times in the past when we, Nintendo, have marked down the trade prices for our video game machines a certain amount of time after launch to further accelerate adoption of the hardware, but never in Nintendo’s history have we dropped a system’s trade price so significantly less than 6 months after launch.

We are aware this may cause you, the loyal fans who supported Nintendo 3DS from the beginning, to lose trust in us, and this is not our intention in any way.

All of you who have kindly supported Nintendo 3DS from the beginning are Nintendo’s most important customers. Although we may not be able to completely prevent you from regretting purchasing Nintendo 3DS early, we would like to express our gratitude to our special customers like you by offering 20 free downloadable games from Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 23:59 pm (Central European Time) on August 11th. These Nintendo 3DS systems will be automatically registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador programme.

ambassador-ai.jpg

Verify your 3DS is registered with Nintendo

US Check

EU check (not up yet)

The programme contains two elements:

1.Beginning Sept. 1st, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in Nintendo eShop for the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, will be released as paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors can download them in advance of launch for free. Once the paid versions of the games are released in Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

2. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Minigame Mania and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on Nintendo 3DS in the future.

Free Virtual Console NES games for 3DS (from sept 1st):

Super Mario Bros. Gameplay Video
SMario.gif

Donkey Kong JR.Gameplay Video
DK1.gif

Balloon FightGameplay Video
bal.gif

Ice ClimbersGameplay Video
ice.gif

The Legend of ZeldaGameplay Video
zelda.gif

+ 5 more Games to be announced

Free VC gameboy advance games for (Nintendo Ambassadors) 3DS:

Super Mario Advance 3
yoshi.gif

Mario Kart Advance
kart.gif

Metroid Fusion
metroif.gif

Wario Ware
wario.gif

Mario vs. Donkey Kong

mardk.gif

+ 5 more

RandomVince said:
www.nintendo.com.au has an Ambassador tool where you enter your 3DS serial number and it confirms if you are in the program or not. Obviously it might be limited to Aus 3DS systems only.

Maybe NoA might have a similar tool in the works?

duckroll -This early adopter program is very, very rushed. Reading through the details in Japanese, it is very clear that Nintendo pushed this press release out at the last minute and none of this is actually ready yet. Mockingbird has translated the lists and details, so I won't do that again. Instead I'll expand on the nature of the program:

- Nintendo is confirming that they will sell NES VC games on the eShop for 3DS. But they will not be released on Sept 1st.

- Instead, on Sept 1st they will be pushing out "early bird editions" of the free NES games for those who bought and registered their systems before the price drop. Only these systems will be able to download and play these NES games at that time.

- These versions sound like beta emulated versions. There will be no digital manuals included, and while you can switch the controls from player 1 to player 2 for certain games which allow for such play, there will be no cross system multiplayer supported at all.

- Eventually at a later date, complete versions will be released for actual sale on the eShop. When this happens, those with the "early bird editions" will be able to update to the full versions for free.

- For the GBA VC games, it gets even weirder. While there is no release date for those other than within 2011, Nintendo is outright saying that they currently have NO plans to ever sell such games on the eShop. This is something specially for early adopters as a reward, and are considered "not for sale" releases.

TyRaNtM said:
So, if the rumored games are confirmed, add this images to the OP:

- Kirby and the Amazing Mirror:
Kirby%20and%20the%20Amazing%20Mirror%20(2).gif
1716b.png

- Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3.:
sma4loste14.png
mario-advance-4.png

I think, if they launch SMBA4: SMB3, the extras that they will add are e-Reader support, like a DLC.

Cheesemeister said:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/ambassador/detail.html

The games:

Famicom, available starting 9/1

Super Mario Bros.
Donkey Kong Jr.
Balloon Fight
Ice Climber
The Legend of Zelda
Wrecking Crew
NES Open Tournament Golf
Yoshi
Metroid
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

No, I don't know if this is just for Japan, or what.

thread will be updates later!!!

MooMoo

Oo we get TWO copies of Super Mario Bros :p You should also mention the GBA are, as of right now, for ambassador 3DS people aka early adapters only.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Good games but how much will they cost outside the 20 game reward?

Kevtones

After playing Aura-Aura Climber on DSiware I really want DK SWING.

Also would love Fire Emblem and Golden Sun FREE.

mutsu

Hurray for early adopters!

So cannot wait to play GBA games on my 3DS!!!

Made in Wario, come to me!
Metroid Fusion, come to me!
Super Mario Advance 3, come to me!

MooMoo

Man, to really seal the deal for me, they should add 3 free GBC games: DW1,2, and 3 :D I'd be so fucking happy.

watershed

Banned
These games are awesome, Mario Kart and Metroid will be so sweet. For some reason this news really has me excited, even though I did get kinda screwed by paying $10 more than the new price. Still cool all around.

Kusagari said:
I hope one of the GBA games is Minish Cap. I've always wanted to play it.
Yeah, either that or Link to the Past. We already got WarioWare, give us a Zelda and Aria of Sorrow (I guess this is limited to Nintendo games, but I can hope! Crossing my fingers that they've only released half the games because the others will be non-Nintendo and they're still finalizing stuff).

Advance Wars would be alright. Drill Dozer would be cool. Mario and Luigi would be fucking amazing.

Of course they'd never do it, but it would be the ultimate troll move if one of the games was a localized Mother 3 and they held with the "No plans to sell at later date" thing.

watershed

Banned
Max said:
Will 20 games fit on the stock storage though?
Only dsiware saves to the 3ds hardware everything else to sd card so these 20 games will save there. If 2gb isn't enough because you have too much other stuff you'll just have to get a new sd card.

SmithnCo

DonMigs85 said:
So they'll NEVER release these GBA games to others at some point? Sounds absurd.

Eh, they currently "have no plans" to release them; sounds like PR speak. They'll get released to the public eventually I'm sure.

They'll probably end up releasing these titles in the future to the General Public now that I think about it. I mean, why not release big games like Yoshi's Island, and make money?

bobbychalkers said:
Never got to play Fusion, pretty hyped about that.
Zero Mission is by far the better GBA Metroid, even if you've played the original, but Fusion is still pretty damn good.

Another game that would make me totally forgive Nintendo for the price drop is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Having that as a download would be awesome.

Kevtones

oatmeal said:
Yes. Easily.

I've downloaded 10+ DSiware games and it's nice to see the 234 blocks of space taken up by XXX only to see that I have 14832 left.

HYPED for Metroid Fusion. NEVER played it.

Max

I am not Max
outunderthestars said:
This will get me on board. Guess I'll buy though Walmart next week so I can get the games and the price drop. :)
Price drop happens the day after you're eligible for the Ambassador program. Sorry.

Keep in mind that the 10 gba vc games will be exclusive to early adopters! Yay! and super mario advance 3's full title is super mario advance 3: yoshi's island. Yay!

Kevtones

SalsaShark said:
as you should, best Metroid game ever.

HYYYYPED.

I'd love a neat co-op game for it... Are there any decent ones for GBA that could be done Wi-Fi? I don't expect online but I'm getting my GF one for netflix/gaming very soon.

dc89

Green Scar said:
Pokemon FRLG, Minish Cap, or bust

What are the chances of us getting those games?!

Please let it be true...

Also this ambassador thing, is it just for the US or EU too?

SmithnCo

I Push Fat Kids said:
HYYYYPED.

I'd love a neat co-op game for it... Are there any decent ones for GBA that could be done Wi-Fi? I don't expect online but I'm getting my GF one for netflix/gaming very soon.

There's that free Four Swords game coming out sometime. Forgot when.

Top Bottom