• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

mutsu

Neo Child said:
Why no multiplayer... surely there could be some way around this?

For NES there will be, when the completed versions are released. For GBA, maybe wait for another 1-2 years down the road when Nintendo changes their mind about not selling them on eShop...

Nuclear Muffin said:
I don't believe them for a second regarding how the GBA VC games are apparently never coming to the eShop. They were obviously due to come at some point but they've been forced to release them early.

Why else would they have a GBA emulator (work in progress or not) running on the 3DS?
Yeah, that statement at the end of those GBA games being exclusive to Ambassadors and not planned for the eShop for the future bugs me.

I'm sure they'll bring a GBA VC to the eShop soon. But to say that it won't is stupid.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Nuclear Muffin said:
I don't believe them for a second regarding how the GBA VC games are apparently never coming to the eShop. They were obviously due to come at some point but they've been forced to release them early.

Why else would they have a GBA emulator (work in progress or not) running on the 3DS?
I think it is they have no clue when they will release the final version of it, and they may plan on not selling some of the games till 2013.

DonMigs85

Drkirby said:
The games will just fit vertically, the NES was 256x240, the 3DS's top screen is 400x240.

I really hope Nintendo can get something for GBA sleep mode. Ether allow Save States, or get the god damn sleep mode to work.

You know, I wonder if the reason for no Sleep mode is that Nintendo is actually turning GBA mode on. The system should still have complete GBA BC, just no pins for the carts. The system still maintain some of its OS when in DS mode, so maybe Nintendo can at least employ save states.
I think most NES and SNES games were actually 256x224. Genesis was mostly 320x224.

KarmaCow

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Same here. I mean, since I already bought a 3DS for $250, might as well make the best of it.

Metroid Zero Mission!!! That's ALL I need!!!

I don't see Zero Mission popping up unfortunately. It has Metroid NES in it and Fusion is already announced.

duckroll

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Same here. I mean, since I already bought a 3DS for $250, might as well make the best of it.

Metroid Zero Mission!!! That's ALL I need!!!

I doubt they'll have both Fusion and Zero Mission. If they're giving away Fusion, I don't think Zero Mission is a likely option at all. :(

This is actually pretty cool of them to do. The purchase doesn't sting as bad now. I hope the unannounced games are worth playing.

KarmaCow said:
I don't see Zero Mission popping up unfortunately. It has Metroid NES in it and Fusion is already announced.
Noooooo! Don't break my heart! *cry*

It'll eventually show up on the eShop.

They're probably going to save the other big guns like Zelda, the other Super Mario Advanced games, and Zero Mission for eShop. They're not going to give us all of these...but I hope they do.

Nuclear Muffin said:

To be fair, I remember reading that hackers discovered a PSP emulator and a PS2 emulator (a full one) in the PS3's firmware...

DonMigs85 said:
I think most NES and SNES games were actually 256x224. Genesis was mostly 320x224.
It's actually 240, but since the extra 16 lines aren't shown on the TV, sometimes programmers didn't account for them (making the area look ugly/distracting), and emulators usually cut those lines out.
Edit: I was actually beaten below :(

duckroll

Electivirus said:
As an early adopter, I am ecstatic. 20 free NON CRAP games for buying it early? FUCK YEAH! (Almost) All is forgiven, Nintendo!

Technically it's 10 free non-crap games, and 10 more free games of undetermined quality. Just saying.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
DonMigs85 said:
For the NES, it was 256x240, but due to overscan the normal draw area was 256x224.

SNES has games between 256x224 and 512×448 games. So the the 256x224 could be put on the system without problem.

AniHawk

so i was like, oh free games? is this some sort of japanese only thing

and then i saw the thread.

yeah. that stings. a lot.

good news i guess is that it means the wii u won't be so fucking ridiculously overpriced. also, this is basically going to get me to force me to play mario vs. donkey kong since i heard it's like dk94 and i've never really played 'em.

hamchan

bobbychalkers said:
heres hoping Fire Emblem, Metroid: Zero Mission and Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga make the cut.

Hell yes, give them to me Nintendo. I want SMA4 too, always nice to have a portable version of SMB3 around.

duckroll said:
Technically it's 10 free non-crap games, and 10 more free games of undetermined quality. Just saying.

Assuming that the rest of the titles are also first-party Nintendo games, I'm sure they'll be good. Or not completely shit, at the very least.

Drkirby said:
I think it is they have no clue when they will release the final version of it, and they may plan on not selling some of the games till 2013.

That's exactly what I'm thinking.

Well, I'm happy! I was planning on getting all of these when they eventually hit the 3DS VC (Well, except for the NES games since I thought for sure that they would keep handheld and console VC completely separate)

Electivirus said:
Assuming that the rest of the titles are also first-party Nintendo games, I'm sure they'll be good. Or not completely shit, at the very least.

They will almost certainly be 1st party titles. I highly doubt that they'd be able to get clearance from their 3rd party partners to offer their titles for free on such a short notice.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Hopes for GBA:
Kirby's Nightmare in Dreamland
FE7
Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
Kuru Kuru Kururin
Advance Wars 2

I am expecting Nintendo to toss in one of the awful GBA F-Zero Games though.

Would be really great if Nintendo could do something like retranslate the Advance Wars compilation. If Japan got Advance Wars, they would likely get Game Boy Wars 1 & 2 :/

Evershade

Wow. As much as the 40% price drop hurts, 20 free non-shit games is an excellent way to get people back into bed with them.

Sony and now this, there are been some pretty good compensation moves by large companies recently and I welcome it.

Vice

I'm regretting not hopping on the 3DS boat early now. What are the chances of the GBA games never coming out on 3DS VC?

Vice said:
I'm regretting not hopping on the 3DS boat early now. What are the chances of the GBA games never coming out on 3DS VC?

you can still get the games if you buy the system before the 11th and sign onto the shop.

Buy it at Walmart and they will refund you the $80 when the price drops.

AniHawk said:
so i was like, oh free games? is this some sort of japanese only thing

and then i saw the thread.

yeah. that stings. a lot.

good news i guess is that it means the wii u won't be so fucking ridiculously overpriced. also, this is basically going to get me to force me to play mario vs. donkey kong since i heard it's like dk94 and i've never really played 'em.

Mario vs DK is awesome.

syoaran

LiK said:
i like these free games cuz i would never actually buy any of them from eshop.

same.

Though I got to admit, those GBA games are great. Considering we are also getting 4swords, it makes for a health download library in September. And yeah, I'm really hoping Advance War's is one of the 10 free GBA games.

syoaran said:
same.

Though I got to admit, those GBA games are great. Considering we are also getting 4swords, it makes for a health download library in September.
Only, the gba games are not coming in September. Just "by the end of 2011"

If they stagger these out I'm going to be fucking pissed. Don't string us along for your fucking mistakes Nintendo.

GDGF

Soothsayer
darkpaladinmfc said:
How do I 'register' my console?

Call Nintendo customer service at 1-800-422-2602 and have your system ready (the serial number is on the back and you'll need that)

I've had that phone number memorized since like 1988 lol

civilstrife said:
Only, the gba games are not coming in September. Just "by the end of 2011"

If they stagger these out I'm going to be fucking pissed. Don't string us along for your fucking mistakes Nintendo.

so no you're complaining about the possible pace of the FREE games Nintendo is giving you?

How many free games did you get when the Wii, 360 and ps3 dropped in price?

Vice said:
I'm 99.99% confident that the GBA games will show up on the eShop someday. It'd be stupid for Nintendo to not to put it on there.

Seeing those GBA games coming proves that they had it planned all along but decided to release it a little bit earlier then initially planned. They probably wanted to milk the eShop for all its worth, assuming the 3DS was going to cash in, and then release the GBA eShop when the 3DS Lite comes out.

catabarez

GDGF said:
Call Nintendo customer service at 1-800-422-2602 and have your system ready (the serial number is on the back and you'll need that)

I've had that phone number memorized since like 1988 lol

Could I just register it to Club Nintendo? Will that work the same?

duckroll

outunderthestars said:
so no you're complaining about the possible pace of the FREE games Nintendo is giving you?

Well, when PSN went down for a month, I got 6 free PS3 games and 6 free PSP games! Most of them were kinda shit though.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Speculating about the other 5 free GBA games. Obviously they will be Nintendo published games and not 3rd party. Here's a list of all the games Nintendo published for GBA:

Advance Wars
F-Zero: Maximum Velocity
Golden Sun
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Super Mario Advance
Wario Land 4
Magical Vacation (Japan only)
Horse Racing Creating Derby (Japan only)
Disney's Magical Quest Starring Mickey & Minnie
Game & Watch Gallery 4
Kirby: Nightmare in Dream Land
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past/Four Swords
Metroid Fusion
Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2
Yoshi's Island: Super Mario Advance 3
Densetsu no Stafy (Japan only)
Custom Robo GX (Japan only)
Fire Emblem: Fūin no Tsurugi (Japan only)
Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising
Donkey Kong Country
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Fire Emblem
Golden Sun: The Lost Age
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak
Hamtaro: Rainbow Rescue
Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga
Pokémon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire
Pokémon Sapphire
Pokémon Ruby
Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3
Sword of Mana
Top Gear Rally
WarioWare, Inc.: Mega Microgame$
Mother 1 + 2 (Japan only)
Densetsu no Stafy 2 (Japan only)
Densetsu no Stafy 3 (Japan only)
Donkey Kong Country 2
F-Zero GP Legend
Final Fantasy I & II: Dawn of Souls
Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Games
Harvest Moon: Friends of Mineral Town (Australia Only)
Harvest Moon: More Friends of Mineral Town (Australia Only)
Kirby & the Amazing Mirror
Mario Golf: Advance Tour
Mario Pinball Land
Mario vs. Donkey Kong
Metroid: Zero Mission
Pokémon FireRed
Pokémon LeafGreen
F-Zero Climax (Japan only)
DK: King of Swing
Donkey Kong Country 3
Dr. Mario & Puzzle League
Dynasty Warriors Advance
Final Fantasy IV Advance
Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mario Party Advance
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
Pokémon Emerald
WarioWare: Twisted!
Yoshi's Universal Gravitation
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories (published by Nintendo in Europe & Australia Only)
Drill Dozer
Eyeshield 21: Devilbats Devildays (Japan Only)
Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Red Rescue Team
Final Fantasy V Advance (Published by Nintendo in Europe and North America Only)
Tales of Phantasia (Published by Nintendo outside Japan Only)
Rhythm Tengoku (Japan Only)
Mother 3 (Japan Only)
Boundish (Japan Only)
Dialhex (Japan Only)
Dotstream (Japan Only)
Coloris (Japan Only)
Orbital (Japan Only)
Soundvoyager (Japan Only)
Digidrive (Japan Only)

outunderthestars said:

They aren't free. I payed $80 for them.

And yes, they should all be released at once. This isn't like some VC release schedule where they want to avoid overwhelming people with too much choice early on.

It's their job now to prevent backlash. Releasing "apology" games in teasing spoonfuls is a sure way to piss people off.

At first I was :( but then 20 free games. The ten announced are already better than anything offered in the PSN thing, and I don't even have to choose between them. It would've been perfectly normal to drop the price and just say "too bad" to the early adopters, but this definitely makes me not feel bad for picking one up already.

Neo Child

Banned
Digidrive/Sound Voyage etc were also released in Europe.

Fuck, Nintendo was on fire with GBA. And DS.

3DS has been such a let down so far in terms of 1st party published games. GBA was the fucking pinnacle of handheld gaming.

Kusagari

So, going on the e-shop with the 3DS and linking it on clubnintendo should be enough right? I really doubt they'll only give it to people who call them and register it that way. Who actually does that these days?

blamite

Wow, the GBA lineup is actually pretty awesome. But I wonder what effect, if any, Mario Advance 3 has on the possibility of a 3D Classic's version of Yoshi's Island.

duckroll

civilstrife said:
They aren't free. I payed $80 for them.

And yes, they should all be released at once. This isn't like some VC release schedule where they want to avoid overwhelming people with too much choice early on.

It's their job now to prevent backlash. Releasing "apology" games in teasing spoonfuls is a sure way to piss people off.

Actually, they are free. You didn't pay 80 bucks for them. You paid whatever you paid, and got a 3DS, which is what you wanted for that price. It's fine to be upset that the price dropped so quickly after you bought it, but let's not make things up here.

Top Bottom