• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

So what's the official line on how to get the free games?

I'm reading two things in this thread, one, that I have to call a number or be a club nintendo member and register my console with the serial number on the back and Two, some people saying all I have to have done is sign into the eshop before the price drop.

So which is it? Does anyone know for sure?

catabarez

Okay I just checked their website, and the way to register is by signing in to the Nintendo eShop on your 3DS before August 12th. This is for all of the confused people (me).

duckroll

Incitemaybe said:
So what's the official line on how to get the free games?

I'm reading two things in this thread, one, that I have to call a number or be a club nintendo member and register my console with the serial number on the back and Two, some people saying all I have to have done is sign into the eshop before the price drop.

So which is it? Does anyone know for sure?

The Japanese instructions say that you need to login to the Nintendo eShop at least once using your 3DS before the date of the price drop. Presumably when it does that it registers your 3DS system/account with the store. I'm not sure if it's the same for all regions.

Wait so Nintendo would rather emulate the GBA than the Super-FX2 chip...then again emulating the GBA is probably far easier and has more benefits. What am I saying? Yoshi's Island on Wii VC is even less likely to happen now.

I also agree GBA games will be out eventually (probably once GB/GBC have been exhausted), I just hope they're more open to imports (a lot of people would love to buy things like Rhythm Tengoku and they can't buy...what they can't buy). Although part of me nags; yeah what about the Donkey Kong romhack with the Pie/Chement Factory stage added in that you can only get on some Wiis.

As for Metroid Fusion. Can I dream that the English versions be based off the Japanese versions for the added difficulty settings or is this going to crash into reality.

But I think reason they've only announced 5 is only 5 have been decided (or they want to risk "surprises" if the surprise turns out to be Advance Wars you'll get two irate Advance Wars fans who are like "if I'd known Advance Wars was one of them I'd have got a 3DS, now I have to wait until you can be bothered to release it"). Free Four Swords makes me think they might miss out Minish Cap as Zelda is getting love (though if Link to the Past GBA was put on and talked to Four Swords* that would be cool but not Nintendo's style of emulation). Mario & Luigi might be overkill of Mario, Fire Emblem would be nice but would raise questions about where the second DS game went to, Advance Wars seems like a safe bet (who doesn't love this game?) except Japan never got 1 or 2 as separate games (though I wonder if the game they got is essentially the two ROMs glued together with a frontend loader meaning the separate game can be created) and after that we get into more minor franchises.
fakeedit: Saw Video mans post. I guess F-Zero (maybe not GP legend since I feel that killed the franchise) and Kirby are other obvious candidates.

*-Doing certain things in Four Swords would unlock things in Link to the Past GBA. The Huricane Spin attack (I think) and the Palace of the Four Sword dungeon (which is essentially a new final boss as I recall beating it played the ending).

Green Scar said:
You rolled a 1

You get YOSHI'S UNIVERSAL GRAVITATION
I heard the gyro was pretty bad in that game so the 3DS gyro will have no problems like it. Oh and Wario ware Twisted but I somehow doubt we'll get more than 1 of a franchise (Mario Kart is a separate franchise to Super Mario or Mario vs. DK).

Neo Child said:
Digidrive/Sound Voyage etc were also released in Europe.
Eh? Some of them were re-released/remade as DSiWare and WiiWare but the GBA Bit Generations series never came out in Europe. Personally Sound Voyager (this and Dotstream are the two I never got :( ) and Colouris would be nice suprises but cause fans to rage due to them wanting Mario Advance 1,2 and 4.

Huh, well at least 20 free VC games is better than the 2 free games & a controller offer Microsoft made when they hastily lowered the price of the OG Xbox. I think I got Azurik and Bloodwake, two of the worst games I've ever played on any system.

Eh this news is useless for me as I cant register my 3DS on any club nintendo in Scandinavia.

catabarez said:
Okay I just checked their website, and the way to register is by signing in to the Nintendo eShop on your 3DS before August 12th. This is for all of the confused people (me).

Okay if that is the case, then it is good :)

duckroll said:
The Japanese instructions say that you need to login to the Nintendo eShop at least once using your 3DS before the date of the price drop. Presumably when it does that it registers your 3DS system/account with the store. I'm not sure if it's the same for all regions.
Very awesome and very easy ^_^

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
For NES I'm hoping for:

Kirby's Adventure
Metroid
Star Tropics I/II
World Cup
RC Pro Am
Zelda II (Not very likely)
Super Mario 2/3 (Not very likely)
Fire Emblem I/II (Not happening in the West)
Famicom Wars (Not happening in the West)

Neo Child said:

Fuck, Nintendo was on fire with GBA. And DS.

3DS has been such a let down so far in terms of 1st party published games. GBA was the fucking pinnacle of handheld gaming.

Unless you're talking about the Art Style series (which is available worldwide), no they weren't. None of the Bit Generations games got released until the Art Style series came about.

Teknoman

Neo Child said:

Fuck, Nintendo was on fire with GBA. And DS.

3DS has been such a let down so far in terms of 1st party published games. GBA was the fucking pinnacle of handheld gaming.

To be fair, Nintendo seemed to drag their feet with the GBA and the original DS as well...fairly early on anyway.

For the remaining 10 games, my guesses are as follows...

NES: Kirby Adventure, Dr Mario, Yoshi, Metroid and Kid Icarus (Free advertising for Uprising)

GBA: Wario Land 4, Game & Watch Gallery 4, Super Mario Advance 1, F-zero Maximum Velocity and Mario Pinball Land.

duckroll

Nuclear Muffin said:

NES: Kirby Adventure, Dr Mario, Yoshi, Metroid and Kid Icarus (Free advertising for Uprising)

GBA: Wario Land 4, Game & Watch Gallery 4, Super Mario Advance 1, F-zero Maximum Velocity and Mario Pinball Land.

Pretty good guesses. I agree that in general they will be picking games which are either strong brand names, and/or easy to play games with action or puzzle mechanics. I don't expect them to pick anything niche like RPGs or Strategy games. The games have to be for everyone.

mutsu

Nuclear Muffin said:

I'll be more than happy with that list if true.

mclem

Green Scar said:
You rolled a 1

You get YOSHI'S UNIVERSAL GRAVITATION

To be fair, that *would* mean they've got integration with the gyros working, which gives me the hope that we may one day see Wario Ware Twisted in Europe.

mclem said:
To be fair, that *would* mean they've got integration with the gyros working, which gives me the hope that we may one day see Wario Ware Twisted in Europe.

It'll almost certainly happen eventually, but not as part of this promotion. The emulator is supposedly unfinished and Gyro support is surely one of the last things that they would seek to do.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Call me stupid but I'd love to see Link to the Past get released in the GBA list. I still kick my own arse every now and again when I sold the GBA version off.

Bit more details on the NES VC, courtesy of Nintendo UK's PR

The programme contains two elements:

1.Beginning Sept. 1st, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in Nintendo eShop for the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, will be released as paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors can download them in advance of launch for free. Once the paid versions of the games are released in Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

NES VC is getting launched officially sometime within this year.

speedpop said:
Call me stupid but I'd love to see Link to the Past get released in the GBA list. I still kick my own arse every now and again when I sold the GBA version off.
I'd rather have the SNES version of it. Higher resolution.

So, wait.

If I go to Best Buy on August 1st, buy a 3DS for $250, and it drops 10 days later, they'll refund me the difference because it's within 30 days? Or is that only at WalMart? (I saw it said both stores do it but I want to be sure). Or do I have to actually return the unit, negating the registration to the eShop?

Because if that's the case I'm not gonna wait for a 3DS Lite, I'll just go get a normal 3DS next week before the price drop.

Also, holy shit @ Mario Land 3D coming out so soon, how time flies :O

MicH

When I saw this earlier I was all rage. Then I found out about the games. Holy crap, now I cannot wait! I still cannot believe the price drop, though. Damn! Glad I traded my DSi in to get it at roughly the new price.

So, the original warioware (the good one) mario vs dk, mariokart, metroid fusion, and Yoshi's FREAKING island? Plus 5 more of nintendos gba games, probably advance wars, link to the past and maybe fire emblem? This is great!

But september? the game famine is happening right now!

Ken

Incitemaybe said:
Very awesome and very easy ^_^
So basically if I got Excitebikes while it was free, I'm all registered and need to do nothing more but wait for the free games right?

thechemist

UK press release

Nintendo said:
Nintendo 3DS Ambassador programme

Nintendo has today announced a global change in the trade pricing policy of Nintendo 3DS. In Europe, this will be applicable from August 12th.

There have been times in the past when we, Nintendo, have marked down the trade prices for our video game machines a certain amount of time after launch to further accelerate adoption of the hardware, but never in Nintendo’s history have we dropped a system’s trade price so significantly less than 6 months after launch.

We are aware this may cause you, the loyal fans who supported Nintendo 3DS from the beginning, to lose trust in us, and this is not our intention in any way.

All of you who have kindly supported Nintendo 3DS from the beginning are Nintendo’s most important customers. Although we may not be able to completely prevent you from regretting purchasing Nintendo 3DS early, we would like to express our gratitude to our special customers like you by offering 20 free downloadable games from Nintendo eShop.

These free games are available to anyone who owns a Nintendo 3DS system and uses a wireless broadband Internet signal to connect to the Nintendo eShop at least once before 23:59 pm (Central European Time) on August 11th. These Nintendo 3DS systems will be automatically registered in the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador programme.
For information and a tutorial video on how to connect your Nintendo 3DS to the Internet, please visit the Nintendo 3DS website here.

The programme contains two elements:

1.Beginning Sept. 1st, Nintendo 3DS Ambassadors will be able to download 10 NES™ Virtual Console™ games at no charge and before they are available in Nintendo eShop for the general public. These games, including Super Mario Bros.™, Donkey Kong Jr.™, Balloon Fight™, Ice Climber™ and The Legend of Zelda™, will be released as paid downloadable games, but Ambassadors can download them in advance of launch for free. Once the paid versions of the games are released in Nintendo eShop later in the year, the updated versions will be available to Ambassadors for download at no cost.

2. By the end of 2011, Nintendo will provide Ambassadors with 10 Game Boy Advance Virtual Console games. These include games like Yoshi’s Island™: Super Mario™ Advance 3, Mario Kart™: Super Circuit, Metroid™ Fusion, WarioWare™, Inc.: Minigame Mania and Mario vs. Donkey Kong™. These games will be available exclusively to Ambassadors, and Nintendo currently has no plans to make these 10 games available to the general public on Nintendo 3DS in the future.

More details about this programme will be announced in the future.

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/NOE/en_GB/...mme_44123.html

m.i.s.

Banned
jyoung188 said:
Yoshi's Island! XD

Don't forget Yoshi's Island will also be getting a remastered 3D version based on the SNES original.

The GBA version is "limited" by 160 vertical pixels (SNES has 224 vertical pixels) which means you see less of what's going on around you. Still a fantastic conversion though. The GBA version does, however, have six additional bonus stages that weren't in the SNES original.

Just read up on Best Buy's price drop policy. I am so fucking getting a 3DS next week, oh shit yeah. As long as that screen issue has been resolved (I read earlier that they've changed the bumpers?) I have no reason to wait. Was gonna hold off because of that but this deal is just too good to pass up.

Tempy said:
Sounds good to me. Adding console games to the 3DS VC library is a good thing, although one kinda wishes that if you bought a NES game on the Wii VC that the same game would be free to download on the 3DS VC.

This. Nintendo needs to ambassador my Wii.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I'm still sort of annoyed that Yoshi's Island for 3DS will be coming out before Yoshi's Island on Wii's VC. I'd rather play it on that, tbh.

Gravijah said:
If there's no free The Minish Cap, I will be goddamn pissed.

Also even before they do the GBA VC they should work on getting the Oracle games on there.

Gravijah

Andrex said:
I'm still sort of annoyed that Yoshi's Island for 3DS will be coming out before Yoshi's Island on Wii's VC. I'd rather play it on that, tbh.

But you shouldn't be. This is the shitty GBA version. :(

Andrex said:
Also even before they do the GBA VC they should work on getting the Oracle games on there.

I was sorta hoping we'd get THOSE for free.

AniHawk

tmc or alttp will probably be one of the five. just because it's zelda's 25th anniversary and the four swords part of alttp is coming out for free anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Thinking about it, the #1 game I want to see for the GBA VC (aside from Yoshi's Island which should totally be a Wii VC release instead) is FireRed/LeafGreen, which I never got to play. Ruby/Sapphire are obviously going to be remade but I see no reason Fr/Lg should be held captive.

In addition to R/B/Y/G/S/C on the GB/C VCs, of course.

Fou-Lu

boris feinbrand said:
If there is a god, it's going to be Metroid Zero Mission or Minish Cap...

Zero Mission, Minish Cap, Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga, a Pokemon game and *cough*Mother 3*cough*.

Advance Wars would also be nice.

Goddamn this is awesome news. I've had no problem buying the 3DS for $250, so the fact I'm getting 20 free games from this deal makes the system so much sweeter.

My guesses:
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Zelda A Link to the Past
Wario Land 4
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Thought about Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, but if the releases are going to be the same worldwide then those aren't gonna happen.

Gravijah

Allan Holdsworth said:
My guesses:
Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland
F-Zero Maximum Velocity
Zelda A Link to the Past
Wario Land 4
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga

Thought about Fire Emblem and Advance Wars, but if the releases are going to be the same worldwide then those aren't gonna happen.

ALTTP over TMC would suck. :'(

DeVeAn

I already own most of those on my Wii VC. I should be able to keep them on all future Nintendo consoles that sell them. This is bullshit. Also it games they pick? We don't get to pick and choose? And we still have to wait after Nintendo screwed it's early adopters? Now only is this a quick drop it's a big one. What the he'll is going on?

Nintendo tell Capcom to give me Mega Man Legends 3 and I'll cool down. Do it!!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Gravijah said:
ALTTP over TMC would suck. :'(

Shut yo mouth.

I would like to play Minish Cap though, to see where it fits in with the timeline.
Yes I'm one of them.

Top Bottom