• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new shots of Vita's OS/apps

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
JustPushStart has published some screenshots that appear to be from a press pack:

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/0...k-out-the-trophy-list-playstation-store-more/

Near

KXdNq.jpg

I5SBM.jpg

Group Messaging (?)

fZPiM.jpg

Jwi5D.jpg

Game 'LiveArea' Splash Screens

YLS7r.jpg

8h0MI.jpg

PlayStation Store

20wUU.jpg

J8v3j.jpg

Party

NIOm2.jpg

User Profile

dvvgM.jpg

Trophies

CV8AL.jpg

Looks like game-joining is pretty well integrated across various parts of the system - user profile, in party etc. Just wonder if games HAVE to use that functionality or if it'll be optional.

Not entirely sure what the difference between Group Messaging and Party is either - I guess the former is intended to be more asynchronous than the latter? Less 'realtime'?

Bonuses from other threads:

Explanatory mock-ups from Develop presentation in July

w4k1I.png

Close-ups of the sections:

Gwerg.png

gEevZ.png

Svr8C.png

1KyoO.png

Multimedia page from eu.playstation.com (now pulled):

4PvWd.png

odkbH.png

Totally illicit, very unapproved, sticky-fingers hands-on video with the OS at gamescom:

x7TrG.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq-gmKNn4NQ

Extra extra bonus - Social Essentials screencaps from the gamescom conference

Foursquare

v7RUi.png

8pBjA.png

Facebook

uBTVz.png

Skype (chat to your friends on 360, not PS3, lolz)

veZXf.png

vATot.png

Twitter

tQULR.png

edit 2 - now with high res shots of social essentials apps:

Shikoro said:

Raonak

Banned
At first I was bitter that no XMB, but this is shaping up to be very nice looking, if not a little bit cluttered.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Looks good. They really put an effort into designing the OS for the Vita. I hope the touchscreen is responsive, as that guy was kind of struggling in that video.

I'll be curious to see if there's any sort of revamp of the PS3's features (plz) or interface (noo) when the Vita comes out.

glaurung

I like what I am seeing.

It's a far cry from the minimalistic, functional XMB that PSP had, but then they definitely want to show off the OLED.

In some of those screens it is difficult to perceive where the gaming stuff ends and where the main UI stuff begins.

Edit: I also see a lot of elements from Sony's Xperia phone lineup GUI (or Android customization or whatever it was called).

Mr_Brit

Banned
Well done Sony. I'm struggling to believe this is coming from the same people who brought us PS3 and PSP's OS/PSN.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I've updated with some caps of the 'social essentials' apps from the press conference - sorry about the quality, but best I could find.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Somebody please bring back the XMB.

whitehawk

Banned
I never understood why all of GAF was hating on the OS. I told them it was going to be awesome. Hopefully they realize I was right now.

Maybe I'm just bitter, old, and set in my ways, but I think it looks like crap. What was wrong with the XMB? It's self-explanatory, clean looking, and easy to use. This is a just a cluttered jumble of bubbles and bullshit. Just because there's a touchscreen doesn't mean everything has to be huge. I don't need a dialing wand to use the phone, so please tone it down a bit. Instead of looking elegant and sleek like the XMB, it looks bulbous and clumsy, which doesn't seem like a good fit for something like the Vita.

Leonsito

Looks like shit, too cluttered and it doesn't give the feeling of a integrated style.

And Sony should drop that shiny style on the circle icons.

patsu

Vol5 said:
Too cluttered.

I agree ! There is absolutely no need to flaunt so many colors and textures. Pick a simple and consistent theme please !

I understand some of the screens actually belong to different users (hence, the many colors), but it's still too much.

Other than that, looks pretty functional.

Raonak

Banned
Hmm... Some interesting suff in the index screen. Singstar and God of war 2?

Also, anyone else getting the feeling that the Bubbles is for open/sleeping applications rather than all your games and stuff.

Im hoping so, seems like it would be a cluttered mess if that is how you're meant to navigate the bubbles for your list of games and whatnot.

seems like theres 2 levels of OS

Index(XMB?)
|
V
Live Area(Multitasking)
|
V
Application/Game

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
baekshi said:
Did any one check how many trophies each game had?
Should be less than the PS3 games I guess, but it feels like collecting trophies on the Vita will be a lot more fun and addictive.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Everything is split across different 'apps' so bear that in mind from a stylistic coherency POV.

There does appear to be some universal interface rules though - the 'back' icon seems to be the same in all apps, as well as the '...' one etc.

Fou-Lu

Worst UI ever. I don't know how anyone can like it. It looks like random shit of different shapes and sizes thrown on a cheap blue background that reminds me of Windows ME.

So trophies earned in Vita games go in the same pool as the PS3 trophies? Very smart

And those screens just look messy to me. XMB is perfect

patsu

gofreak said:
Everything is split across different 'apps' so bear that in mind from a stylistic coherency POV.

There does appear to be some universal interface rules though - the 'back' icon seems to be the same in all apps, as well as the '...' one etc.

Yeah but the UI elements are too noisy. Looks like an overdone Aqua. Apple has toned down Aqua quite a bit since its inception for good reasons.

Some of the widgets and icons look too small too. May be trying to squeeze too many things onto the widgets and screen.

Smirk

Neo Member
First time I saw this I instantly thought "Wow, is this an UI for 12 year olds - big, shiny, colorful and saturated."

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
patsu said:
I agree ! There is absolutely no need to flaunt so many colors and textures. Pick a simple and consistent theme please !
Other than that, looks pretty functional.

The XMB was designed with an older audience in mind, but I think they want the Vita to be more accessible to everyone.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
While I think it looks rather good, I was never a massive fan of the XMB system, so go figure.

I think this is a bit risky of Sony though, they have got people used to the minimalistic styling of the XMB and to introduce a completely different system for Vita, especially as PS3 isn't going anywhere is going to create UI inconsistency within their range.

Top Bottom