• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new shots of Vita's OS/apps

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
darkwing said:
XMB wouldn't work on a touch screen
XMB can be adapted easily to work on a touch screen, particularly one with gestures. And XMB follows the 1st rule of UIs: coherency. These screenshots show an utter mess of a UI.

patsu

Meisadragon said:
The XMB was designed with an older audience in mind, but I think they want the Vita to be more accessible to everyone.

The iOS UI appeals to 4 year old all the year to old people without being this flashy.

This looks unnecessarily juvenile.

EDIT: They should get another art team to consider a simplified look and compare side by side.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Stop It said:
While I think it looks rather good, I was never a massive fan of the XMB system, so go figure.

I think this is a bit risky of Sony though, they have got people used to the minimalistic styling of the XMB and to introduce a completely different system for Vita, especially as PS3 isn't going anywhere is going to create UI inconsistency within their range.

Unless of course they update the PS3 itself to move away from XMB to something alone the lines of the Vita.

I'm really digging this. I loved the XMB but this looks really slick and cool while being easy to use.

Chemo said:
God damn I am going to miss the XMB.

Yeah me too, i´ll miss the minimalistic design, this UI feels too cluttered and oversaturated to me...but they aim for a wider audience, so i get the point.

Momo

Banned
darkside31337 said:
Unless of course they update the PS3 itself to move away from XMB to something alone the lines of the Vita.
My TV isnt touch enabled, if they make it so that I have to fluff through this UI with a joypad I'd stomp a hole in my shit.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
patsu said:
Yeah but the UI elements are too noisy. Looks like an overdone Aqua. Apple has toned down Aqua quite a bit since its inception for good reasons.

Some of the widgets and icons look too small too. May be trying to squeeze too many things onto the widgets and screen.

The touchable widgets seems fairly obvious to me and generally seem large enough. Not everything on these screens is interface, some is purely informational (and thus can be smaller). Some info on some of these screens could probably be safely culled if they wanted more empty space though - like, for example, the publisher under the game title in the store. The proof will be in the using though.

Now we just need a good video of it in action and no the one with the dude trying to make it work does not count. I can't wait for TGS to see the finalized version.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
patsu said:
The iOS UI appeals to 4 year old all the year to old people without being this flashy.

This looks unnecessarily juvenile.

EDIT: They should get another art team to consider a simplified look and compare side by side.

I can't find a clear video showing off the UI, so can't really judge it based on those pics.

Rpgmonkey

Not really a fan...

But it's not like I'm going to use it for anything but games anyway, so as long I can get to that quickly and easily I don't care.

leroidys

I'm hyped for the vita but the UI still looks awful. It is just so cluttered, reminds me of yahoo or 90% of japanese websites.

Gowans

As some one who works as a user experience designer, on first look I hate this.

Bubbles, bright colours & scroll bars. Looks dated.

Again that's a snap judgement I'll have to check the video after work to see how they pull it off.

patsu

gofreak said:
The touchable widgets seems fairly obvious to me and generally seem large enough. Not everything on these screens is interface, some is purely informational (and thus can be smaller). Some info on some of these screens could probably be safely culled if they wanted more empty space though - like, for example, the publisher under the game title in the store. The proof will be in the using though.

We can identify the buttons but the UI overloads our brains and makes us work extra hard.

The UI also seems to have "stupid" marketing ideas. That envelope has PS symbols as watermark. It is completely superficial and cluttered.

The backdrop has a strand of bright highlight, which is again unnecessary since a background should be muted.

I agree the publisher name under the game name should be hidden to make way for more space. The screen is big but not big enough to show everything.

The colors don't work. Please Shuhei. Coordinating between teams is the easiest tasks. Know when to say "no" and be critical of the team's output. Slap marketing people around if they mumble things like branding, corporate id, etc. Look at it from the user's point of view.

You're the last line of defense.

EDIT: I hate to do this to Shuhei but the marketing chiefs (Peter Dille and someone else) have left. Ryan and Andrew House, based on their Gamescom presentations, are more like suits. I remember Sony has Playstation hardware platform managers, but he/they only deal with hardware.

The other middle managers will manage their own projects but they need someone to consolidate stuff from the user's point of view.

Gravijah said:
actually, something important: is the ui going to be touch only?

It seems to be. Anyway the guy that posted the vid showing the UI had this to say in the comments

To all the dumb **** who do not get that this was the FIRST time we got to use the Vita and you should be happy that we even got the video out, well, don't watch it if you don't want. The system is INCREDIBLY responsive, and rather awesome. Played 6 of 21 playable games at gamescom; all were great, so was the system. Anyway, whether I sound like some guy from a movie or not, we got this out and it's REAL not polished sony video. Anyway, the system is great! Still happy they didn't make us delete the vid, coz they actually discussed doing so :)

Could this mean there is a chance Sony might release a walktrough vid before GamesCom is over on the 21st?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this is going to replace my iPod Touch, especially if the web browser is decent.

Momo

Banned
Ardenyal said:
I like it, though i hope i can customize the heck out of it :p
After the PS3 fiasco the words customize and open are probably banned at Sony HQ. Watch them lock it down so hard you can't even change the WP.

Ichor said:
Are you mad? Like seriously, certifiably insane?

That would be HORRIBLE on PS3.
lol Im talking bout the features really.. Party Chat,updated music player and updated web browser...but I also want Sony to make the PS3 XMB look better.

patsu

Takao said:
XMB apologists probably don't own a PSP and didn't see how much of a mess that became.

XMB definitely has issues too, but it can be fixed. The nice things about XMB is its strong visual identity and cleanliness.

This UI is not without flaws, but it can be fixed also.

Takao said:
XMB apologists probably don't own a PSP and didn't see how much of a mess that became.

You are right, i don´t own a psp, i own three, one fat, one slim and one GO.

I never had any problem with the XMB, it´s not perfect, but usable.

Takao said:

Haha I see your Bulma has found something new to be surprised about and yea the PSP XMB ended up being a mess, for the doubters I have only one thing to say
5Z6ax.jpg

Anyways joking aside it looks fine to me, as long as it's practical to use, it should be fine

sakipon

Momo said:
After the PS3 fiasco the words customize and open are probably banned at Sony HQ. Watch them lock it down so hard you can't even change the WP.
I don't really care as long as they keep handing out ready-made themes. And they won't be stopping the premium theme business.

patsu

Momo said:

I doubt it. PSN is still open. Vita supports Internet apps like PS3 too.

Given the variety of color schemes shown, I am sure the new UI can be customized a la XMB themes and such.

leroidys

Takao said:

Me.
What happened? I certainly wouldn't want to have a huge amount of albums, games, videos, etc. because the folder system is ass, but it seems like they could fix that.

Takao

Banned
Hunter-Zero said:
You are right, i don´t own a psp, i own three, one fat, one slim and one GO.

I never had any problem with the XMB.

Then you should know of the bloat the XMB is now. To get to the wireless settings from playing a game it takes 16 clicks. While that's not terrible, it's very unfriendly, and almost intimidating to have all these things show up.

I have about 40 games on my Go. I haven't seen some of the ones on the bottom in months.

Defuser

Imo the reason it's cluttered is because Sony expects you all to navigate through using touch. Please don't flame me.

Thoraxes

It's well animated, but other than that it looks too cluttered and confusing, especially when i'm just going to want to play games on it.
Wish there was a way (or will be) to turn everything else off that I don't need.

Top Bottom