• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new shots of Vita's OS/apps

Takao

Banned
funkystudent said:
is it silly that I am disappointed sony didn't try make there own avatar/mii for Vita?

There is still time for that:

PSP_Room.jpg

TGS
Believe

chickdigger802 said:
what are the chances of future MH games even coming to america?

Maybe console versions with online components. Not feeling it for portable unless vita sells like hotcakes.

Actually, the last PSP game didn't sell poorly in the west (it was over 200k IIRC). Capcom USA is just a bunch of pussies and don't want to bother with MHP3.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
As pointed out by gofreak in the other Vita thread, a new article went up giving some context to the screens in the OP:

Stay constantly connected to your games and friends with amazing apps on PS Vita.

LiveArea Screens

livearea_wipeout.png

Each game on PS Vita will have its own LiveArea Screen, which is split into two zones. In the Info Zone you can find out about the latest downloadable content for the game you're playing, and see tournament events that are taking place. In the Communication Zone, see how your PlayStation Network friends are getting on through automatic status updates. You'll be able to see if they've earned a new trophy and leave comments for them, too. The LiveArea Screen is the best way to see what your friends are up to and let them know how well you're doing in your favourite PS Vita game.

Near

Near_Radar_LittleDeviants.JPG

Stay connected to all of your PlayStation Network friends and make new ones by sharing information about your location using Near. Press the Update button and find new people based on where you are, challenge them to games or play cooperatively and enjoy a completely unique gaming experience on PS Vita. You can even send and receive new levels, unlocks and in-game items to enhance the way you play - everywhere you go will hold new surprises.

You can view your friends' game preferences, see how many trophies they've earned and compare your stats to see who the better player is. Near will be pre-installed on your PS Vita.

Party

party-room.png

Fancy a chat while you're gaming? Speak with your friends anytime you like with Party. The voice and text chat application will also be pre-installed and allows you to talk to up to eight party members, no matter what you're doing. Tell them about the game you're playing, what you're looking at online or hatch plans in multiplayer matches.

Your friends can even invite their own friends to join in the fun, so you'll meet more new people who love PS Vita as much as you do. Join an existing Party and see what everyone else is up to, or create your own and see who fancies a chat. Make sure you save your favourite Parties so you can head back there at any time.

Friends List and Profile

FriendList_gamescom.JPG

In your profile you can share information about yourself. Choose an avatar that represents you best, add your friends and let the world see your gaming and trophy stats.

Your Friends List will allow you to search for and add new friends, and accept requests sent to you.

Click on a friend's profile to see what game they are playing on either PS Vita or PlayStation 3. You can join their game, take a look at what you've played together recently or compare your trophy collections. You can also see your friend's recent activity, check out if they've been to any Parties and view their Near profile.

Trophies

Trophy_gamescom_02.png

PS Vita games will support trophies so you can show your friends what you've achieved in all of the great games on PS Vita and on PS3. Click on one of your friends' profiles to see how they've been getting on, and compare all of your trophies to see who the better player is. Has your friend got more trophies than you? Keep playing until you have the most.

PSN Message

gpmsg-messages.png

Another great way to contact your PlayStation Network friends is through PSN Message. Send them an update or even a picture you've taken with your PS Vita to let them know what's going on.

Angry Fork

There's waaaay too much colors mish mashing with one another and it makes things seem cluttered. I don't know where my eyes should be it just rushes to everything because there's colorful in your face stuff on every screen.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Angry Fork said:
There's waaaay too much colors mish mashing with one another and it makes things seem cluttered. I don't know where my eyes should be it just rushes to everything because there's colorful in your face stuff on every screen.

I think most of the colors come from those picked by people as their profile color. Its similar to the way people's profile tags are all different colors now on PS3 in the friends column.

The best thing about all this stuff is that they seem to think about the OS and features ahead of time, adding a lot of features that people want. Which bodes well for PS4 as well.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Basically the only thing that looks good in this OS is the Trophies list.

And it's all that matters, so I'm cool with that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
AndyD said:
I think most of the colors come from those picked by people as their profile color. Its similar to the way people's profile tags are all different colors now on PS3 in the friends column.

The best thing about all this stuff is that they seem to think about the OS and features ahead of time, adding a lot of features that people want. Which bodes well for PS4 as well.
It has been addressed in the TheSixthAxis article covering the same OP screens as such, and especially in reference to the pink profile page. Even some buttons take the same color of your profile, like the purple "send" in the PSN messaging screen. I'm not sure if it's based on official statements or speculation, though.

(Either way, It wouldn't hurt to pick a decent profile color today, just to be on the safe side)

Fou-Lu

OS looks bad, but I'm okay with that, the handheld itself doesn't look that great either. All that matters is the games. (Okay, the OS bothers me a bit, but whatever)

Carl

LiveArea sounds pretty neat. Glad to hear that it'll be the same PSN friends list as PS3 too. Good stuff.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
[Nintex] said:
Seriously it's like nyan cat exploded all over the Vita.
But Nyan Cat is amazing and old school, color explosion of Vita's OS is not.

Right now I'm trying to focus on the awesome features, because the design is a Lava Lamp away from being a 70s relic.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I NEED SCISSORS said:
One thing I realise - who the fuck is going to bust out a Vita, of all things, at a party?

Marketing fails so much.
By relying on the built-in speakers, no less.
KuGsj.gif

Raonak

Banned
I'm warming up to the OS.

Still don't like the bubble interface though(for selecting games/apps) would rather have an xmb for that.

Also... does this sorta confirm that PS4 will have crossgame chat without being tied to PS+?

Seems like it's really featured pack. Music player, web browser, voice & text chats with group ability, Facebook, 4Square, Twitter, Skype. I hope they left out an ability to add more apps since there will certainly be something new and cool coming out during the 5+ years Vita will stay on the market.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
One thing I realise - who the fuck is going to bust out a Vita, of all things, at a party?

Marketing fails so much.

Probably the same idiots that like to turn the music on their cellphones speaker on the subway

Satchel

Banned
I'm torn.

It looks cool and trendy, but looks so cluttered and not very user friendly at all.

Not sure why they couldn't have modified the XMB.

btkadams

THE-Pink-Dagger said:
You guys are all on crack, this looks fucking fantastic!
no doubt. those shots look amazing. they seem like they're really nailing all of the connectivity features.

btkadams

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Marketing fails so much.
what if you're camping? what if you're anywhere outside for that matter?

edit: ugh sorry for double post.

hsukardi

There's no standardized look to it, which may be what they're gunning for as well. Everything is so contextual, it's very much NOT how iOS/Android is going.

Cat Party

Sony is definitely not alone in this, but I hate this trend of cluttered, busy interfaces with a focus on "social" tools/features. Ugh. I assume it will function just fine, though.

Hyuga

Banned
Ichor said:
OS looks bad, but I'm okay with that, the handheld itself doesn't look that great either. All that matters is the games. (Okay, the OS bothers me a bit, but whatever)
......?

Futureman

They say their website was specifically adapted for the PSV browser. Why would it need adapted on a 5" screen? Is this a webkit browser?

Top Bottom