• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some new shots of Vita's OS/apps

DiscoJer

BladeoftheImmortal said:
I really don't see why people think.the xmb would be nad for touch. scroll menus are every where on y android.

Because you have to do a lot of scrolling.

Which is easier, scrolling through dozens of items (which is what the XMB is like) or tapping the screen a few times to open up sub-menus?

Like say you started from the game menu on a PSP. You want to see how much is left on the battery (beyond the little indicator).

You'd have to scroll left 5 times, down 5-6 times to system settings, press a button, scroll down ten times to battery information, and hit another button.

Do something similar with this OS, would probably take 4-5 taps.

It's basically like using Windows using the arrow keys on the keyboard versus a mouse.

CatPee

BladeoftheImmortal said:
I really don't see why people think.the xmb would be nad for touch. scroll menus are every where on y android.

Your post is an example of why people think so.

M3d10n

Nuclear Muffin said:
That would make sense and it would explain all of the rumours regarding the RAM cut.

Reserving a full 256MB for the OS sounds crazy, but also a very Sony type thing to do (especially considering that they'll probably cut down on RAM usage over time and give some back to the games)
It's very likely that the main 512MB is the standard LPDDR2 found in smartphones and tablet, so having 256MB solely for the OS isn't costing them that much. The money is probably on the VRAM, which is probably fast FCRAM like the 3DS main RAM.

Nuclear Muffin said:
It would still give it a large advantage over the 3DS (96MB of usable RAM compared to 384MB for Vita) and the reduction in screen resolution/CPU/GPU power compared to PS3 would mean that art assets would need to be downscaled anyway.
Don't forget the OS might probably require some VRAM to be reserved for it as well (the PS3 OS reserves 32MBs of VRAM for drawing over the game). But that's still a little less than 4X more total RAM than the 3DS: close to the Wii->PS360 difference (which was over 5X) but much better than the DS->PSP gap (8X).

Nuclear Muffin said:
The 3DS OS runs in the background and it is capable of multitasking (including the universal web browser that runs while playing a game, which neither the PS3 or 360 can do) and it already uses 32MB. Vita's OS would surely require much more, what with the ability to run full apps in the backgroud, along with a music player, Live Tiles/Live Area, Near and the web browser (especially since its browser is guaranteed to be more fully featured)
With 32MBs the 3DS can barely run a single-tabbed browser. The Wii browser has 88MBs to work with and still isn't snappy enough. There's no way Sony can run a browser *and* have other apps in the background with only 128MBs.

There's no magic to running a browser on little RAM (short of "cooking" the websites server-side), because the developer has zero control over what data it'll have to deal with.

theBishop

Banned
I like how each game as its own dynamic metadata. So you can get a lot of fresh info about the game just from the system menu. I'm really leaning toward downloading everything rather than buying physical copies so you can always check on them. I just hope they don't fuck up the internal storage option.

So has anyone figured out what type of browser this beast uses? I really hope Sony does not go with some cheap version that won't be reliable.

Also, I wonder if Sony is changing their download/install and firmware update process for this thing. Hopefully Download and install are not two separate steps like it is on the PS3.

theBishop said:
I just hope they don't fuck up the internal storage option.
Are you expecting them to provide the user with internal storage or a card with the Vita?
Song is not going to do that and their proprietary memory cards are definitely going to cost an arm and a leg if we want the large size card. I am not looking forward to seeing those prices.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
theBishop said:
I like how each game as its own dynamic metadata. So you can get a lot of fresh info about the game just from the system menu. I'm really leaning toward downloading everything rather than buying physical copies so you can always check on them. I just hope they don't fuck up the internal storage option.
I also hope Sony continues to push the AR Card support. I really like the 3DS AR cards but the system struggles to keep up with it. It'd be damn neat to design your character/craft in 3D AR space.

patsu

chubigans said:
I also hope Sony continues to push the AR Card support. I really like the 3DS AR cards but the system struggles to keep up with it. It'd be damn neat to design your character/craft in 3D AR space.

What can AR card do ?

Yep, I LOVE what Sony has done with the interface of the Vita. It upsets me to no end that I will have to wait til next year before I get it. I wanted to import it but seeing how this Fall is looking (bills, school, car, other games,etc,.), I had to rethink about me being upset of it not coming out before Christmas :/ lol

Jeels

I think the aps look really nice (facebook, twitter, skype foursquare,party cheat, music player etc)

the main OS though and the PS store look like shit

Whatever your view of the OS, at least Sony is making a strong response to the popularity of smartphones. I really like the 3DS, and I don't want to bash them, but Nintendo didn't seem very forward thinking at all with their device.

At any rate, I like what I'm seeing. This thing is jam packed with features. If Vita can't go toe to toe with smart phones, maybe they can at least compete directly with devices like the ipad.

All I know is I want one. Yesterday.

Oppo

M3d10n said:
But by looking at how many Live Mode apps one can have open at the same time, I'm certain the OS uses 256MBs of RAM:

That's fucking amazing, how you can tell, just by glancing at pre-release OS screens.

RaijinFY

Sounds like the OS will take at least 1GB for the PS4... :lol:
At least it should seal the deal for 4GB of ram for the next console.

edgefusion

It's very cluttered and there's absolutely zero consistency. Some kind of XMB 2.0 would have been much appreciated, this seems messy and juvenile looking. Not liking it unfortunately. I had hoped they would take a leaf out of Apple's book and make something that doesn't look like complete arse.

deim0s

edgefusion said:
It's very cluttered and there's absolutely zero consistency.

Come to think of it, the game interface/features does give a GT5 UI feeling.

Like these:
splash_wipeout-300x169.png

splash_uncharted-300x169.png

Horrible:
splash_store-300x169.png

Too many styles going on. Exception being game pages, everything needs to be a singular theme. The store should be more like the 360 where it's integrated and not a separate launched application.

Game pages are a really good idea, though.

Massa

deim0s said:
Come to think of it, the game interface/features does give a GT5 UI feeling.

Like these:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/splash_wipeout-300x169.png[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/splash_uncharted-300x169.png[IMG]

Horrible:
[IMG]http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/splash_store-300x169.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

The GT5 UI design is great. Its problems are the poor loading times and some other issues specific to the game (like having to go back to the main menu to do some things before a race), but the overall concept is much better than the nested menus mess that plagues most sports/racing games.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Linkzg said:
The store should be more like the 360 where it's integrated and not a separate launched application.
Agreed.

But in case they fail to do something about it we can look forward to the downloads/DLCs menus integrated directly into LiveArea, just like we've seen back in January, to slightly mitigate the problem. That's one of the most touted features of LiveArea. Also, if they manage to speed up launching the Store app, I can see it being less of a problem. I fully expect the Store's resume/suspend process to be instantaneous, though.

Oni Jazar

Thanks for the roundup gofreak! Looks like they made some great decisions feature wise. I'll withhold judgement on UI until I can try it out.

yurinka

Crakatak187 said:
Does the vita even need AR cards? It has the same pseye tech in it so it could possibly do stuff like eyepet.
It depends. For some AR stuff it will use them, for other AR stuff won't be needed.
Reality Fighters has been shown using them or not, depending of the game mode.

theBishop

Banned
pharmboy044 said:
Are you expecting them to provide the user with internal storage or a card with the Vita?
Song is not going to do that and their proprietary memory cards are definitely going to cost an arm and a leg if we want the large size card. I am not looking forward to seeing those prices.

I don't know what to expect yet.

Sony has adopted commodity flash formats in other divisions, which is a very good sign. But there have been pictures floating around supposedly from E3 showing a new memory stick format used in Vita. The cards in these pictures are physically much larger than the current MicroSD format with comparable capacities (4gb-64gb). So I'm (maybe foolishly) skeptical that the cards in those pictures are real.

There's only one format Sony should be considering for Vita and it's SDXC. It's no secret that Sony wants to nudge people toward digital distribution, and the best way to kill that goal is to saddle Vita with an expensive, storage-limited, proprietary memory format. SDXC has a generous max capacity of 2TB (currently available up to 128GB), and is backward compatible with existing SD cards. The transfer rate is roughly 100MB/sec, which would be pretty damn ideal for loading games.

Another possibility is for Vita to be an early adopter of a new commodity format. Late last year Sony, along with Nikon and Sandisk submitted a new storage standard to the CompactFlash standards body. The card would be comparable in size to existing CF cards, with write speeds up to 500MB/sec and capacities over 2TB. This card is designed for HD video recorders and pro SLR cameras, but clearly would be a great format for gaming too.

kliklik

Banned
I have a question. From the pictures, it looks like it now displays the last game you played while you're not playing - is that true? Will it also still display the latest trophies you've earned? That's not shown on the screenshot of the person's profile.

I've always wanted the PS3 to show me the last game my friends were playing so I could know what game their latest trophies are from.

Agent X

kliklik said:
I have a question. From the pictures, it looks like it now displays the last game you played while you're not playing - is that true? Will it also still display the latest trophies you've earned? That's not shown on the screenshot of the person's profile.

I've always wanted the PS3 to show me the last game my friends were playing so I could know what game their latest trophies are from.

I would like to be able to select a trophy from a user's profile card (which lists the 8 most recently earned trophies), and find out what game that trophy is from and what the trophy represents. This feature needs to come to both PS3 and PS Vita.

bob page

Am I the only one who thinks the UI looks amateur and inconsistent? Shouldn't the UI look as elegant as the hardware?

No unified font, color schemes, text sizes, etc. All of it seems completely thrown together with no sense of continuity.

Maybe it's just the designer in me being too picky...

kliklik said:

I could have swear that used to be able to when they initially remodeled the player card but it doesnt anymore.

hsukardi

bob page said:
Am I the only one who thinks the UI looks amateur and inconsistent? Shouldn't the UI look as elegant as the hardware?

No unified font, color schemes, text sizes, etc. All of it seems completely thrown together with no sense of continuity.

Nope, not just you.
And Sony will pay for it by having a product that cannot scale

elohel

bob page said:

no you're absolutely correct, its like once they got a positive reaction from the hardware and pricing they just said "fuck it, lets do what we usually do" lol

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
bob page said:

The PS3 is much more unified, but at the cost of looking very, very bland and sterile.

The Vita looks much more fun to poke around in. It definitely seems more "inviting" in a way. As a result, it definitely won't be as fast to navigate as the PS3 XMB.

hsukardi said:
And Sony will pay for it by having a product that cannot scale
What do you mean exactly?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I wonder if Sony is aware of the negative reaction the potential userbasr is having towards the design, or if they're willing to make some of the most basic adjustment to address the clutter and inconsistency issues. People have only been decrying the UI since January.

(although I highly doubt they'll do anything about the colorful speech bubbles and user profile pages, since those mostly take the colors users picked for their PSN profiles)

patsu

bob page said:

That's probably because we are looking at multiple ugly themes. ^_^

Tuck

Looks very... confusing and cluttered. Can't pass judgement till I get my hands on it, but it doesn't look user friendly. And the bubbles are a bit childish.

I do like how colorful it is though.

fuck.

3ds UI is horrendous and probably will never improve.

Every other screen switches between touchscreen and buttons. Long loading between all screens.

I assume vita will be spiffy. psp is spiffy as well. Let's just hope psn isn't garbage like on psp.

Took me 3 hours to dl a 3min gran turismo trailer >.>"

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
chickdigger802 said:
I assume vita will be spiffy. psp is spiffy as well. Let's just hope psn isn't garbage like on psp.

Took me 3 hours to dl a 3min gran turismo trailer >.>"
You can thank the PSP Wireless B for that. Ugh indeed. :p

PortTwo said:
That's fucking amazing, how you can tell, just by glancing at pre-release OS screens.

It's called an educated guess. All it requires is a bit of logic and reasoning skills, it's fun! You should try it some time.

Top Bottom