• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Deus Ex HR Reviews Thread

LuchaShaq

Banned
The_Darkest_Red said:
I found this very disappointing to hear:

Oh no :( bah can't think of one game I've ever enjoyed playing stealthily unless you count tiny chunks of Assassin's Creed. Guess I'll just wait for gamefly/redbox so I don't burn 60 incase.

Have a really strong feeling I'll find this game interesting/well made but not personally enjoyable for me.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Blizzard said:
That's 3 points below the metacritic average! *knocks over magazine rack*

It sounded like you thought the game was repetitive, forced stealth, and didn't have good combat, and it sounds as if you didn't agree with Eidos about it being more fun with less ammunition. Yet I guess with a 85% score you're overall happy with the game?

I said it's still a good game, which it is. The story and characters are interesting enough to keep going, you're just doing a lot of the same stuff in between.

Lack of ammo, I think, really hurts those who want to take the run/gun approach.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
It sounds like the PC and console versions are very close. I have a gtx560 with an i5 750 and 4gb ram. Is the gain on PC significant?

Foliorum Viridum said:
Suits me as a stealth player, at least!
I'm primarily a stealth player in this type of game as well but that doesn't mean I want to be encouraged towards taking that path. Plus, I would love to do multiple playthroughs using different play-styles that are at least somewhat balanced.

Blizzard

Banned
Kagari said:
I said it's still a good game, which it is. The story and characters are interesting enough to keep going, you're just doing a lot of the same stuff in between.

Lack of ammo, I think, really hurts those who want to take the run/gun approach.
I can see how some people would be frustrated, but I felt like the original Deus Ex encouraged stealth and/or made it difficult to be an all-out combat person.

I guess Giant Bomb is the remaining review, and they're presumably trying to be combat too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DenogginizerOS said:
It sounds like the PC and console versions are very close. I have a gtx560 with an i5 750 and 4gb ram. Is the gain on PC significant?

We'll have a console review up as well, but if you have the option to, play on PC.

Durante

DenogginizerOS said:
On that system the PC version will probably run at 1080p with AA and 60 FPS. I don't think that's very close at all.

Kagari said:

Is the shooting good enough to do a run and gun approach?

I mean, it was possible in the first game, but it felt like shit until you got that bad ass light saber and could rip through everyone, then whenever I was found by the guards I never used another gun again :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Foliorum Viridum said:
Is the shooting good enough to do a run and gun approach?

I mean, it was possible in the first game, but it felt like shit until you got that bad ass light saber and could rip through everyone, then whenever I was found by the guards I never used another gun again :D

If you use some of the more powerful weapons, like the shotgun, then yeah. You just have to be careful because you'll reload often.

Zeliard

Blizzard said:
I can see how some people would be frustrated, but I felt like the original Deus Ex encouraged stealth and/or made it difficult to be an all-out combat person.

I guess Giant Bomb is the remaining review, and they're presumably trying to be combat too.

The original Deus Ex encouraged stealth in that stealth is always the most efficient way to do things. You aren't triggering alarms and you're generally getting through the level more quickly, if not easily. But if you wanted to get by shooting in Deus Ex, you usually could. There wasn't an ammo issue there unless you just had poor aim/non-upgraded skills. It's a different issue if stealth is forced on you, but I haven't played HR enough to know yet.

charsace

The game pushes you toward stealth. You can still go for run and gun in building Jensen and play this like a stop and pop shooter though.

Effect said:
This is what I'm waiting to see. Scores for each version and not a blanket score across them all. There is no way they can be that identical to warrant that. Especially the consoles compared to the PC version. We've seen in the past that there can be differences between PS3 and 360 mutliplatform games.
Longevity has different scores for the same game lmao
I am excite for this game, cannot wait to get it!

Zeliard

Zaptruder said:
The actual way to play is to do a silent take down on EVERYONE.

Most fun and challenging method of play.

It's all about the crowbar to the back of the head.

Deus Ex: HR has a crowbar, I hope.

The Stealth Fox

This really is Deus Ex. It's reviewing exactly like it, too!

DX1 was very stealth heavy on first playthrough. Because you didn't know where to go or how to handle situations, it was really difficult to fight your way out until you got the Dragon's Tooth sword. And then you had to deal with exploding MIB members even if you tried to abuse it.

These two gifs have doubled my interest in the game:

2d7ap93.gif

a4c1af7e1e9c65938ad4558ac21dd4a63e427eb5.gif

Hilarious! Any more like these?

One thing I am not completely sure about after looking into some of the reviews: Is the brute force/run and gun approach actually hard or does it just not give as much xp as a stealthy and/or non lethal approach?

I must say I personally considered direct confrontation way too easy in comparable titles (in this context) like i.e. Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Blizzard said:
Wertung: SEHR GUT

(Sorry Germans, I can't read your language without hearing Enemy Territory: Return to Castle Wolfenstein accents. :p)

That's okay. To be perfectly honest, whenever I hear someone say "Wunderbar", I can't get the cheesy Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory voice acting out of my head for at least a few minutes.

Blizzard

Banned
WorstUsernameEver said:
We have our review (GameBanshee) up and running too, in case you're interested.
With all due respect, your site is kind of obnoxious. It was very slow and I couldn't see how many pages your review was, so I had to keep clicking and waiting for the next page to load. After 4 pages I got to the end. If there was a numeric score (for what such things are worth) I didn't see it.

eshwaaz

Kagari said:

Hm, that's disappointing. I certainly don't intend on playing it as a straight-up shooter, but I was looking forward to trying a more aggressive approach. Stealth can be really satisfying, but I also want the option to get into some rewarding firefights.

DaBuddaDa

eshwaaz said:
Hm, that's disappointing. I certainly don't intend on playing it as a straight-up shooter, but I was looking forward to trying a more aggressive approach. Stealth can be really satisfying, but I also want the option to get into some rewarding firefights.
You can get into plenty of firefights, but it won't be quite as thrilling as something like Killzone, and you might not always be able to shoot your way out of every situation due to the ammo situation.

eshwaaz

DaBuddaDa said:
You can get into plenty of firefights, but it won't be quite as thrilling as something like Killzone, and you might not always be able to shoot your way out of every situation due to the ammo situation.
Sure, I'm not expecting the shooting to be as rewarding or refined as a dedicated shooter. I really just want to be able to mix things up a bit; try out all of the firearms and not feel punished for it. Hopefully, as long as I choose my battles intelligently it won't be an issue (clear out most of a room with stealth, then finish off the remaining 2 or 3 guys with guns).

I'll find out for myself, 4 long hours from now.

LiK

eshwaaz said:

don't worry, probably some mod or command for infinite ammo, huhuhu

I don't concern myself with reviews, but I do glance over them out of curiosity, and I do find it fascinating how this game is scoring quite a bit lower than Mass Effect 2.

MNC

speaking about ammo, the shooter method (which I'm not taking in my first playthrough, playing on hard) is still a viable way because headshots work really well, and the popout shooting gunplay works, you just need to be conservative of ammo.

Top Bottom