• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD Coming to XBLA, playable at PAX

Taxman has said a little more about this on Sonic Retro.

Basically you either play it Sonic CD style, or Sonic 2/3k physics rules (with spindash and camera setting). The only Sonic CD trait that carries over both styles is the no roll jump lock. Oh and Sonic's skidding has dust [/nerd features].

The fact that this is Taxman's port/reworking and not anything by Backbone means I'm almost definitely going to buy this since I love SCD and rank it only behind S3&K, despite all its faults. Some slight level design fine-tuning wouldn't go amiss either, and I still hope there's a choice between the American and Japanese soundtracks though. Seems weird they went from almost always using the former in ports to now only having the original.

Weird as fuck this is being billed as a prequel to S4 however. Not sure how SCD 'bridges the gap' between the Genesis games and S4, but whateves, they've done good this time in terms of downloadable Sonic.

Epic Drop

Phonomezer said:
They really need to bring SA2 to DD services next. They always dance around that game.

Absolutely. I really only LOVED the Sonic/Shadow levels, but it was a fun game and I would love to play it again.

The Sonic CD trailer looks fantastic. Definitely a day 1 purchase for me. I'm interested to see where they take this "beloved prequel to Sonic 4: Episode 1" thing...

RobbieNick

I don't see why people are geting so excited. Sonic CD was the weakest 2-D Sonic game in terms of level design and besides th-

Taxman port

Japanese soundtrack

Fixed Spindash

.....DAY ONE!

I said this in the other topic (two getting bumped at once?), but I'm glad Taxman's getting a chance to prove himself, and do this game the justice it deserves.

entremet

RobbieNick said:
I don't see why people are geting so excited. Sonic CD was the weakest 2-D Sonic game in terms of level design and besides th-

Taxman port

Japanese soundtrack

Fixed Spindash

.....DAY ONE!
It's also the least ported game of the Genny Sonics. I'm excited. Never had a Sega CD.

XLant

Neo Member
miladesn said:
They're giving the false impression that this was the first game in the series...strange.

cjelly said:
I'll buy it, but I always thought Sonic CD was really shitty, especially the level design. It was just all over the place.
-PXG- said:
Though not the best of the 16-bit era, it's still a decent game. I found the level design to be sloppy and boss fights very awkward.

objection_logo.gif

Talk like this motivates me to invest in a good capture card for LPs. One day I'd like to do one for Sonic CD just to demonstrate its subtle rewards and precision platforming and maybe give it more cred among the classics. The bosses were underwhelming & Wacky Workbench was trash, I'll give you that.

XLant said:
Talk like this motivates me to invest in a good capture card for LPs. One day I'd like to do one for Sonic CD just to demonstrate its subtle rewards and precision platforming and maybe give it more cred among the classics. The bosses were underwhelming & Wacky Workbench was trash, I'll give you that.

I'd watch this. Sonic CD is a game that simply does not give up its rewards on the surface, and requires commitment and dedication to see its best. Almost no Sonic game captures the highs it hits - if you're prepared to go for the Good Future on every act. As I've said before, there really is no other way to play.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The only thing that held this game back IMO was that the time travel gimmick was clunky due to CD load times back in the day. If the transition between stages was seamless that would have been awesome.

This is probably my second-favorite of the 16-bit titles (after the original). Wasn't really paying attention but I just clicked into this thread for the first time to discover that this is apparently a touch-up by the Retro community? Curiosity is piqued. Just went from "not particularly interested" to "leaning towards purchase."

Articalys

Some tidbits from a hands-on/interview at PAX, courtesy of Sonic Retro forums:
Shade Vortex said:
Also, he confirmed CD was retrofitted to take place after Sonic 3 & Knuckles and before Sonic 4 Episode 1. He said the original developers of CD never put it in any specific place in the timeline, so they decided to say that it's before Sonic 4.

He also told me that when Sonic CD is released and Sonic 4 Episode 2 is announced, there'll be a trailer where Sonic escapes from his detour. Here's a bit of explanation on that. See, in all the Sonic 4 trailers, Sonic is chasing Eggman from the left of the screen to the right. In the Sonic CD trailer, there's a signpost instead, and when he hits it, he takes a detour and does the story of Sonic CD. Once his CD adventure is over, his detour ends, and he goes onto Sonic 4 Episode 2 (I guess for story sake, E1 is being skipped? He said the next trailer would have his detour end by him going to S4E2).

Also, he confirmed the US soundtrack is not currently planned for use in the full release, due to licensing issues, but they are trying to work around that and come up with a solution for us fans, someone suggested that if it's monetary issues, they could have the US soundtrack as DLC, which sounds like a good idea to me.

He also said that Sonic 4 "will never" use the Retro Engine, because the codebase is incompatible with the Sonic 4 engine, which they are still using for S4E2 (though probably with tweaks, since he says they are working to make it better and resolve complaints).
http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showtopic=26192&view=findpost&p=614941

vid

Agh, this thread has been a roller coaster to follow...

"SONIC CD, YEAH! GOOD PORT, YEAH! JAPAN SOUNDTRACK, YEAH! ...ohfucksonic4don'tdothispleasenonotlikethis."

I swear, if they shoehorn some Sonic 4 garbage into the game itself, I'm going to start crying, and I'm not sure when I'll be able to stop.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Articalys said:
Also, he confirmed the US soundtrack is not currently planned for use in the full release, due to licensing issues
jesus christ, was it not PRODUCED BY A SEGA EMPLOYEE?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
LOL.. Sonic 4 is not canon, and never will be.. what are they smoking?

I'm fine with paying $5 for a US music DLC if it goes directly into Spencer Nielsen's pocket.

Lijik

So the soundtrack that uses samples from multiple sources gets in, but the one made completely inhouse by someone who was a sega employee at the time has licensing issues?
Even if i do prefer the jap version by a long shot,
1148_1253230725640.jpg

Yeah, well, the US soundtrack was the deciding point. If they end up releasing it as DLC, I'll take that as a huge slap in the face.

Sounds like I'll be skipping this, sadly.

Great to here that backbone has nothing to do with it, I hope the american soundtrack is included though. I hate how the marketing keeps referring to Sonic 4, seems unnecessary.

I wonder if they can just hire that taxman guy or something to make new downloadable 2D sonics, I'd be glad if that happens.

Rlan

That sounds kind of insane. Why even bother trying to "cannonize" the position of Sonic CD? It's just the same bloody game. If that's the case and they're lying about it being after Sonic 3&K, then CD is Sonic 4! and 4 is 5!

"At some point, this happened", doesn't fucking matter at all.

Teknoman

Would be nice if they somehow used what they accomplished with Classic Sonic in generations, and just moved forward from there with the episodes.

Would it make for too large of a download?

Spencer Nilsen is a God.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCiLK-9pgJs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upJ_1Q1WJy0&feature=related

Could just post the entirety of Ecco CD's soundtrack...hrm

The late 80s / early 90s were amazing for CD-based videogame music.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5U4hpbJ_d4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hUNr5PN7sE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZiRhdxiWEs

Custom soundtracks would be amazing for this edition of Sonic CD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJnMXlDq6cs&feature=related

Still can't find the original song that this version samples. I heard it ONCE on the radio.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3c6TfY2J0o&feature=related

NEVERMIND
FOUND IT
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4MC-izHi5w

Teknoman said:
Why even use "we still need the Sonic 4 engine for EP2" as an excuse? Scrap that and just use what Taxman did.

Am I missing something here? Isn't Taxman's engine derived from reverse-engineering MegaDrive Sonics? How could it be appropiately used in games with 3D models and environments?

Teknoman

Hanningfield said:
Am I missing something here? Isn't Taxman's engine derived from reverse-engineering MegaDrive Sonics? How could it be appropiately used in games with 3D models and environments?

If his using his engine involved having to revert to classic style assets, then i'd have no problem with that.

I don't think many would have a problem in getting far away from Sonic 4's look and feel, but it looks like clunky 3D models in 2D is here to stay :( . Sadly, I doubt we'll see the likes of the tight controls we were used to.

N4Us

Seems kinda weird for the US soundtrack to have licensing issues.

I used to talk with Spencer quiet often (Attended ECDA where he works now) and he told me he received more money from an acne commercial he did music for than most of the game music he did, haha.

Rlan said:
That sounds kind of insane. Why even bother trying to "cannonize" the position of Sonic CD? It's just the same bloody game. If that's the case and they're lying about it being after Sonic 3&K, then CD is Sonic 4! and 4 is 5!

It matters to hardcore Sonic fans. The kind who draw Sonic shtupping Tails up his cornhole and write weird StH fanfic exploring character relationships nobody normal cares about or has even considered.

You know... their most devoted fans, who buy no matter how horrible their games actually are because they need new material for slash fiction.

But I think this is less likely an attempt to please that crowd and more likely another opportunity to pimp their shitty game by mentioning it.

RagnarokX

Rlan said:

The only games that go together are Sonic 2 through Sonic 3 & Knuckles. You could almost think of that as one long game. Sonic begins Sonic 3 with the chaos emeralds he got in Sonic 2.

Shoehorning Sonic 4 crap into good games is pretty terrible because Sonic 4 is a terrible game and should be buried.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
RagnarokX said:
The only games that go together are Sonic 2 through Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
Yeah. All of this other bullshit is dumb.

Now what's all this about Sonic 2/3 style? I'm confused.

andymcc said:
perhaps the enhanced port exceeds wiiware file sizes? :p
Probably, I've no idea what's going on behind the scenes with this port. Original Sonic CD only has 12MB of game data, so with compression for the soundtrack and fmv it should be doable as a VC release (43MB ceiling).

DS/DSi would be impossible (~21MB ceiling, possibly not powerful enough for Retro Engine) but 3DS eShop should have zero problems.

TheOGB

Banned
Stat Flow said:
Yeah. All of this other bullshit is dumb.

Now what's all this about Sonic 2/3 style? I'm confused.
Spindash. In CD you hold the button to rev up, in 2/3 you mash the button to rev up.

RagnarokX

Do you think they'll rererelease Sonic 3 with this new engine with new content explaining that it took place during Sonic 06?

RagnarokX said:
Do you think they'll rererelease Sonic 3 with this new engine with new content explaining that it took place during Sonic 06?

No no, Sonic 3 actually takes place between Sonic 4 and Sonic the Fighters. Sonic 06 is right before Sonic 1.

Edit: OH GOD, I'm a Member now!

NEO0MJ

RagnarokX said:

Maybe they can replace Amy with the princess and Metal Sonic with Shadow while they're at it?

PAX impressions from the show floor confirm no North American soundtrack in Sonic CD at all.

Which is some motherfuckin' bullshit. They should at the very least explain why this is. It sounds like a licensing issue, but I can't imagine why they would need to license it considering the North American soundtrack was used in Sonic Gems Collection.

Sonic CD really is something else. I'm looking forward to finally putting a serious amount of time into it.

I've always preferred the style of Sonic 1/CD over every other Sonic game.

Top Bottom