• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD Coming to XBLA, playable at PAX

cjelly said:
I'll buy it, but I always thought Sonic CD was really shitty, especially the level design. It was just all over the place.

I think it's competent. There's just... weird little... problems. You can kind of tell that it wasn't the regular Sonic Team working on it, because there's just weird little collision detection hiccups, weird physics hiccups, and so on.

If this is the Taxman's iPhone version of Sonic CD blown up to XBLA, though, those problems could maybe get smoothed out, assuming they aren't going for 1:1 accuracy.

Nothing could save Wacky Workbench, though. Fucking hell.

qq more

G0523 said:
I'm not sure what other complaints there were for the ports of Sonic 1 & 2, but when Backbone ported Sonic 3 they completely took out the in-game save feature! So when you finished getting all of the Chaos Emeralds, you can't replay the game with Super Sonic! This affected Sonic & Knuckles as well when you locked the two games together. Taking out features that are already in the game is completely asinine. It's actually one of the main reasons I just kept Sonic Mega Collection Plus for the original Xbox.
Yeahh.... fuck that shit. Glad I own the originals!

(Also, is Classics Collection DS any good? Are there any flaws compared to the original games?)

TheOGB

Banned
Sega1991 said:
That's generally the case with Backbone ports. They're basically functional, but they always seem to be kind of sloppy and cut weird corners. They removed all sorts of little things from their XBLA port of Super Puzzle Fighter (See "Differences and Omissions" on this page).

Their work has never really been terrible, just... lackluster. Disrespectful, maybe, in the sense that they seem to put in the bare minimum of effort and call it a day.
They ought to change their name to Barebone.

Zen

Banned
Sega1991 said:
I think it's competent. There's just... weird little... problems. You can kind of tell that it wasn't the regular Sonic Team working on it, because there's just weird little collision detection hiccups, weird physics hiccups, and so on.

If this is the Taxman's iPhone version of Sonic CD blown up to XBLA, though, those problems could maybe get smoothed out, assuming they aren't going for 1:1 accuracy.

Nothing could save Wacky Workbench, though. Fucking hell.

I'm probably one of the biggest Sonic CD advocates on gaf and even I agree that Wacky Workbench is a writeoff.

qq more said:
(Also, is Classics Collection DS any good? Are there any flaws compared to the original games?)
Not actually played but from impressions I remember. No cheats allowed (why do they insist) and the emulation is a little odd. Despite the emulator being coded by the same person who made the DS homebrew one, it actually has inferior performance in some areas but better performance in others. Both have a few bits of slowdown.

In this case Sonic Classics collection doesn't emulate sound at all. Instead it plays back sound samples. This leads to things like when you press down and the spindash button a lot it doesn't sound like it should. IIRC, it would play the one sound effect fully rather constantly restart the sound effect.

It is a DSi Enhanced game (I hear on a DSi slowdown is greately reduced) so if playing on a DSi or 3DS make sure the game is the same region as your system. The game box denies this fact completely (and EB games Australia would sold some US copies...fun times).

Like any Sonic merchendise its fairly cheap these days so its up to you.

Zen said:
I'm probably one of the biggest Sonic CD advocates on gaf and even I agree that Wacky Workbench is a writeoff.

I love the game (like, in that way) and yes, I agree. Wacky Workbench is teeth-grindingly frustrating.

Sciz

Upsidedown Fuji said:
The only real reason I can see SEGA not being able to keep both would be music rights privilages. Older games seem to come up against this problem a lot.
The only two Sega has problems with are Sonic 1 and 2. Both Sonic CD soundtracks have made reappearances over the years, both in SCD rereleases and other franchise titles. Shouldn't be an issue.

Starwolf_UK said:
Not actually played but from impressions I remember. No cheats allowed (why do they insist) and the emulation is a little odd. Despite the emulator being coded by the same person who made the DS homebrew one, it actually has inferior performance in some areas but better performance in others. Both have a few bits of slowdown.

In this case Sonic Classics collection doesn't emulate sound at all. Instead it plays back sound samples. This leads to things like when you press down and the spindash button a lot it doesn't sound like it should. IIRC, it would play the one sound effect fully rather constantly restart the sound effect.

It is a DSi Enhanced game (I hear on a DSi slowdown is greately reduced) so if playing on a DSi or 3DS make sure the game is the same region as your system. The game box denies this fact completely (and EB games Australia would sold some US copies...fun times).

Like any Sonic merchendise its fairly cheap these days so its up to you.

I played a little bit of it and yeah, it's not great. Squashed resolution with no anti-aliasing, framerate problems, sound problems (hope you like 22khz mono), zero special features outside of the saddest gallery of postage-stamp Sonic clipart you can imagine. All multiplayer modes and cheat codes removed, too.

My understanding is the framerate problems arose because the homebrew version of the emulator didn't support games over a certain filesize limit due to the DS's memory restrictions. So you could, for instance, play Sonic 1, 2, 3 and S&K separately, but you could not play S2&K or S3&K because that would've been too big to fit in to memory.

Whatever voodoo magic this guy worked to get S3&K functioning on the Classic Collection version of his emulator made all of the games run like shit unless you play it on a DSi, where he had more horsepower and more memory to play with.

I can imagine it would be fine in a pinch, or on the cheap, but it's definitely not an ideal solution. Just wait for Sega's inevitable "ULTIMATE GENESIS 3D COLLECTION EXTRAVAGANZA", with all your favorite Sega games hastily converted to support 3D, including the fucking Genesis version of Virtua Fighter 2 that nobody likes but they still keep trying to get us to buy.

east of eastside said:
What happened to the Dreamcast re-releases, btw? They just froze after the cheap and easy ports.

When the hell are they going to do a JGR/JSRF digital release?

Never mind, they'll have gimped sound tracks and other glaring flaws.

All the Dreamcast ports were of games that already had PC ports, so they were quick 'n dirty.

Except for SP5Pt2, to my knowledge, which is ironically the only game I want of the collection disc, and it hasn't be released separately on XBLA to my knowledge.

AbsoluteZero said:
All the Dreamcast ports were of games that already had PC ports, so they were quick 'n dirty.

Except for SP5Pt2, to my knowledge, which is ironically the only game I want of the collection disc, and it hasn't be released separately on XBLA to my knowledge.
It's on its way.. saw it listed as coming out soon

AbsoluteZero said:

It's just so incredibly frustrating that Sega, which has one of the biggest and best back catalogues in the business, isn't releasing anything but the laziest ports on the DD services.

The way I heard it, the reason the homebrew emulator worked better than in Classic Collection was due to the homebrew version breaking certain development rules Nintendo enforces, something to do with how the built-in GBA hardware was utilized.

Anyway, I really hope this isn't Backbone getting another job because they work for cheap. It would be nice if Taxman had some hand in this, but I seem to recall him giving wink-wink "I can't comment at this time" answers on a previous Sega project like this that he ended up having nothing to do with. Still, I suppose the hope is there.

qq more

Thanks you two, I think I'll save money from Classics Collection then. It doesn't seem bad, but I'm easily put off by inferior ports that doesn't try to make up for its faults.

Oh well, hopefully they'll do a better collection on the 3DS when they decide to do one since it has the proper resolution for it.

TimmiT

Before someone posts this article, Endri (who posted impressions of Sonic 4 Episode 1 when it was only on PartnerNET) played a rough prototype of the Sonic CD port by a different developer according to Taxman:
I talked to Endri about the build. What he played was a very rough prototype of the game by a different developer that was ultimately scrapped in favour of a better alternative. End of story.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
cjelly said:
I'll buy it, but I always thought Sonic CD was really shitty, especially the level design. It was just all over the place.

I think it's pretty bad too, but I'd buy a PSN port, if only for the race against Sonic CD.

And I'll gladly join the anti-Wacky Workbench choir. What a goddamn piece of shit that level was. Ugh.

-PXG-

Real talk:

PAL/Japanese soundtrack or else, no buy.

Though not the best of the 16-bit era, it's still a decent game. I found the level design to be sloppy and boss fights very awkward. But hey, it's still light years ahead of bullshit from the past 10 years or so.

east of eastside said:
What happened to the Dreamcast re-releases, btw? They just froze after the cheap and easy ports.

When the hell are they going to do a JGR/JSRF digital release?

Never mind, they'll have gimped sound tracks and other glaring flaws.

I was just thinking this. Everyone's been praising Sega in the last week about bringing back VF5, Sonic CD, Sonic generations looking promising, etc, but I'm still bitter about these DC ports. They made such a big deal about that, and all they've done is badly port over pc versions. I'll happily give credit where credit is due, especially as I'm a HUGE Sega fan.

To see stuff like the GOW HD collection and MGS collection, and how they're being handled in comparision.. Sega should be ashamed of themselves. They need to pull their finger out of their asses, stop the guy whos porting Space channel 5 v2 in his lunch hour and get a team together to work on Jet Set Radio HD. Full HD visuals, remastered 5.1 soundtrack, perhaps even include JSRF aswell. Not this bordered Sonic Adventure shit. Fucking hell Sega.

lol, so not even Sonic CD is all that great?

were there any good games in this series or what? Sonic 1 and 2 were kind of big, I guess, then I never heard about Sonic again until I got on the internet.

qq more

Smision said:

were there any good games in this series or what? Sonic 1 and 2 were kind of big, I guess, then I never heard about Sonic again until I got on the internet.
CD is great/bad, depending on your taste I guess. Personally, I thought CD was great even though it was a weird game.

Also, Sonic 3 & Knuckles is the best in the series. Sonic Triple Trouble is also a great Sonic game (just exclusive to a shitty system)

-PXG-

Smision said:

Yes

Sonic 1, 2, 3, and Knuckles. Honorable mentions to Spinball and 3D Blast (though the latter barely makes the cut).

CD's level design was bizarre and felt random. There was no logic to how platforms were placed. Every level felt the same. It was layers upon layers of platforms and paths, which were constantly interrupted by walls or enemies. CD is a mess compared to the other Genesis. It's not terrible though.

Rlan

SEGA® of America, Inc. and SEGA® Europe Ltd. today announced that Sonic CD™ will debut on mobile phones and consoles everywhere. The game was originally released for the SEGA CD™ system in 1993, and included the first appearance of fan favorite characters Metal Sonic and Amy Rose. Sonic CD is coming to digital platforms with music from the original Japanese soundtrack. The beloved prequel to Sonic The Hedgehog 4™ Episode I is coming to Xbox LIVE® Arcade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation®Network, iPhone® and iPod® touch, iPad™, Windows PC Digital Download, Android and Windows Phone and will be available for download in late 2011.

“Ask any Sonic fan to name their favorite games, and Sonic CD always ranks near the top of their lists,” said Haruki Satomi, Vice President of Digital Business at SEGA of America. “Sonic CD marks an important chapter in Sonic’s history, bridging the gap between his oldest adventures and his new digital exploits like Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I. We’ve made sure the re-mastered edition has everything that Sonic fans want to see with all of the original colorful classic zones.”

Following the classic story of the original, Sonic CD sees Dr Eggman plan to cause chaos and take control of the future by stealing Time Stones from the Little Planet. Sonic must speed through levels and travel through time while fending off Eggman’s robots to recover the Time Stones, and save Amy Rose from his mechanical twin, Metal Sonic! This fast-paced game will return with brand new features including enhanced widescreen graphics, special iOS features, Xbox LIVE Achievements, PSN Trophies, PC Achievements and more.

The re-release of Sonic CD will be making its public debut at the Microsoft booth at PAX Prime in Seattle, August 26–28, 2011. For more information on Sonic CD, please visit http://www.sega.com/

-PXG-

Rlan said:

Japanese soundtrack...

tumblr_ldcg5tMyFI1qbf6el.gif

andymcc

Banned
yeah but what about the soundtrack.

edit: read that on iphone originally, now i'm at work. Japanese soundtrack!! day one!

I'm sure a lot of people are celebrating the mention of the Japanese OST but surely Sega knows how divisive the argument is and would have put in the option to switch between the two, right?

Unless they're specifically trying to keep file size down because of some silly dedication to feature parity with smartphone versions. :T

andymcc

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Wiiware burn.

Also "Enhanced Widescreen Graphics" basically means it's got to be Taxman's project.

or it's a Backbone port with stretched widescreen and awful shit filtering.

lunchwithyuzo said:
So they port Sonic CD to nearly every platform but the two where Sonic sells best? Oh Sega.

perhaps the enhanced port exceeds wiiware file sizes? :p

That's cool and all, but when are they gonna bring Sonic 3 & Knuckles over to iOS?

With Sonic CD coming out, S3&K will be the only classic title not on the iOS. I mean we have Sonic 4 on there, but no Sonic 3 & Knuckles? :mad:

I own it already on XBLA, but I would love to be able to play it on my iPod on the go.

That trailer is gross. They're really pushing hard that this is a "prequel" to Sonic 4.

Despite the fact that Sonic CD was originally meant to launch between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 and was held back to fill the gap between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

andymcc

Banned
Sega1991 said:
That trailer is gross. They're really pushing hard that this is a "prequel" to Sonic 4.

Despite the fact that Sonic CD was originally meant to launch between Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 and was held back to fill the gap between Sonic 2 and Sonic 3.

can we not at least rejoice because it has japanese music and no backbone logo?

cjelly said:
Sounds logical. Worse things have been tacked on games in the name of DLC.

Soundtrack preferences aside, I am really curious how this version plays. I hope the floor hands on impressions are positive.

Are we sure it won't launch with North American music? There's a chance they were just saying "Oh yeah, and the Japanese soundtrack is included." upfront.

Right?

Right?! ;_;

ezodagrom

sponk said:
any news on a PSN release???? plsssssss ...
A few posts above yours there's a quote from SEGA's official blog saying that Sonic CD will come to all major platforms (except Nintendo).
It's coming for XBLA, PSN, iPhone/iPod Touch, iPad, PC Digital Download, Android and Windows Phone.

onken

Definitely the worst 2D Sonic game on the Mega Drive/CD (except Pinball) but still not a bad game. Glad to see it'll have the superior Japanese soundtrack.

Top Bottom