• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD Coming to XBLA, playable at PAX

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
V_Ben said:
Wait, what is all this talk about 2 versions of Sonic CD? I've only played the PC version.
It has the American soundtrack, no doubt.

The original is maybe more authentically Sonic. It's happier. It also matches up with the "Past" version of music which was not done through CD redbook audio, but through the Genesis sound chip (I believe). It wasn't redone in the US version.

The American version was done by Spencer Nielsen so it's neat too.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Takao said:
All I've ever played was the PC-port. Why is this XBLA exclusive? I have no allards :(

You can buy spacebucks with your Paypal account attached to your bank account. Buy some :p

Sonic CD is equal to Sonic 3 and Knuckles in my book. I enjoy the range and beautiful narrative of progression in S3K, but probably (slightly) prefer Sonic CD's design and artistry.

People call the levels disjointed, I call the levels mad, but a wonderful kind of madness.

They feel more like huge-scale wonderlands in which vertical exploration is treated with equal concern as horizontal progress. They're nonsense, with more routes than any other Sonic game, supported with substantial avenues of exploration. Whereas the other Sonic's have more clearly defined paths, Sonic CD feels more organic.

Whereas the rest of the series tried to make places that felt increasingly real, Sonic CD feels like a jump into an abstract wonderland. Its hugely replayable, has beautiful bold primary colours everywhere, sings one of gaming's greatest soundtracks, and feels like a very different beast to the rest of the series. The closest it compares is to Sonic the Hedgehog 1, but with everything dialled up to eleven and infused with a very special madness.

God I love this game.

Stumpokapow said:
Very cool. I'm really surprised Nintendo and Sega didn't work together to make Sega CD emulation feasible on the Wii (Sonic CD is ~100 megs, right? It'd be a tight squeeze, but...). Still, any platform is great.
Just under 90MB. Game data accounts for about 12MB though iirc, with audio/fmv compression getting within Wii's 43MB ceiling shouldn't be too tough at all. The issue is probably lack of interest on Sega's end, since Sonic CD is the only likely big seller on the platform. Same deal for 32X, which is also very doable on VC.

V_Ben

Banned
KennyLinder said:
Surely it's coming to PS3 too? :(

Well, the source is Major Nelson's Blog. Surely SEGA won't do an XBLA exclusive game any more. If anything, it'll be timed in game feast or something.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
My big question is if it will be on the PC or not. There is little doubt about a PS3 version.

I still want After Burner Climax on PC Sega. If there can be an American Arcade Release, there can be a damn PC version.

Best 2D Sonic. I hope for the American soundtrack since I grew up listening to it and love it, but the other soundtrack is great as well. Can't wait for achievements. :D This game has only been ported like twice so this is great to let others play this masterpiece.

drizzle said:
WAIT
does that mean we'll get an HD version of the Sonic CD FMV intro?

i kind of doubt it EXISTS in HD, but it'll probably at least be as good as it was on the gems collection, which is to say it will be awesome.

glad the best
only
good sonic game is finally being made available to a wider audience. hope they give both soundtracks, plz.

goldenpp72

Please make this a better port than the shit fest on sonic gems with its missing sound effects and stuff, and include both soundtracks and you have me at day one.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I still think this is just going to be a stright up emulated version of the Sega CD game. I will be shocked if this is a real port.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Ah, so I can ditch my PC and Gems versions?

Both soundtracks, please. :D There are a lot of quality tracks on both of them. The Japanese boss theme is superb, but Sonic Boom is awesome.

While they're at it, find a way to re-release the Sonic OVA. :3

Boogiepop

Cool. Never played much as a child despite having the PC version (Tidal Tempest always got me). Then the Gems collection came out and I went through the whole game with nothing really clicking for me. However, THEN I started messing with the Time Trial mode or w/e it was, and got absolutely addicted to learning the levels and shaving off just a little more time wherever I could.
The weird thing is I don't think I ever significantly messed with the time travel/special stages, so I'm assuming I missed the "proper" ending of the game?

Zen

Banned
Drkirby said:
I still think this is just going to be a stright up emulated version of the Sega CD game. I will be shocked if this is a real port.

Wasn't there a prominent Gaf poster (well more so within the Sonic community) that had built an engine that was capable of recontruct 16-bit games from the ground up, allowing for 60FPS?

He got hired on by Sega, although at the time I think he said that they weren't interested in the Sonic CD (his pitch to them was Sonic CD on Iphone).

EDIT: Taxman was his name, I wonder if this has any of his involvement?

http://info.sonicretro.org/The_Taxman

Finally. This might make up for that Sonic Adventure garbage that they have tried passing off as good for the last 11 years and half-assing an XBLA port out of.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Zen said:
Wasn't there a prominent Gaf poster (well more so within the Sonic community) that had built an engine that would recontruct Genesis games at 60FPS and made things like widescreen etc possible? He got hired on by Sega, although at the time I think he said that they weren't interested in the Sonic CD pitch.
Wasn't it more like that he created an engine from scratch that could entirely reproduce Sonic CD from official closed assets (as in, all you needed was one actual final copy of Sonic CD) on a iPhone, but the engine was so good that could do things like different aspect ratio (so it would fit an iPhone screen) and perfectly mimic the peculiar physics SonicCD had?

Maybe you're right and it is him.

Wasn't this him? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJa-4tMqVNc

Zen

Banned
drizzle said:
Wasn't it more like that he created an engine from scratch that could entirely reproduce Sonic CD from official closed assets (as in, all you needed was one actual final copy of Sonic CD) on a iPhone, but the engine was so good that could do things like different aspect ratio (so it would fit an iPhone screen) and perfectly mimic the peculiar physics SonicCD had?

Maybe you're right and it is him.

Absolutely, that was what I meant to convey, but a long work day has robbed me of my usual ability to commincate effectively. :)

Metal-Geo

Rlan said:
I wonder if that Iphone port that was developed some time ago (in which the whole game was remade to fit the screen) will be implemented here, or if it'll just be a PC port like Gem Collection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_44CTjQjjQ
Well, I'm sure using a new 'engine' would definitely add flexibility. Making it much easier to add achievements and the likes.

On the other hand... It's SEGA. :/

.la1n

This is fantastic news along with Guardian Heroes. Guardian Heroes (and radiant silvergun) I have complete a total faith in. Sonic CD I am shaky about, I need to know that backbone is not involved and that it is a port of the original game, not the PC port. Please alleviate my concerns Sega, PLEASE ALLEVIATE MY CONCERNS.

ezekial45 said:
I've never played Sonic CD. I've heard it's best entry in the series though.

That's what I always heard too. Then I played the version they released for Gamecube (right?) and discovered that it's way overrated. I prefer Sonic 1 or 2, personally. The "Sonic Boom" song in the opening anime sequence is the best thing about the game to me.

I love Sonic CD (My favorite), however, i fel that technically, Sonic 3 is a more graphically impressive game than Sonic CD, which kinda baffles me as i thought the Mega-CD was supposed to give stronger graphical power than the sega-meagadrive as a standalone. Can someone explain if there is any major graphical difference between the Megadrive and the Mega CD??

It'd be neat if they allowed us to mix and match music to zones if they have both the US and JP soundtracks. While I largely prefer the original, I think the US version in certain areas such as Wacky Workbench and Tidal Tempest is far more memorable.

Astrosanity said:
It'd be neat if they allowed us to mix and match music to zones if they have both the US and JP soundtracks. While I largely prefer the original, but I think the US version in certain areas such as Wacky Workbench and Tidal Tempest is far more memorable.

Ruby, for god's sakes, listen to this man.

MechaX

Toggle for both soundtracks or bust. There are tracks I love on both the US and JP versions (but also tracks I detest from both versions).

drizzle

Axel Hertz
The Aussie ROFL COPTER said:
I love Sonic CD (My favorite), however, i fel that technically, Sonic 3 is a more graphically impressive game than Sonic CD, which kinda baffles me as i thought the Mega-CD was supposed to give stronger graphical power than the sega-meagadrive as a standalone. Can someone explain if there is any major graphical difference between the Megadrive and the Mega CD??
As far as I remember, and I'm as lazy as you are to consult the SegaCD Wiki page, the SegaCD addon added more processing power (so it could handle FMV and stuff), more storage (as in CDs) and better audio (as in Redbook Audio from said CDs) to the Sega Genesis.

Better Graphics only came with the 32x add-on.

BiggNife

The Xtortionist said:
You're right, it's not bad...for elevator music.
Durr hurr hurr

Seriously, I've heard far worse soundtracks. The Sonic CD US soundtrack is mediocre at its worst and pretty solid at its best.

Well this would indicate that maybe Sonic CD didnt improve Graphically, but got the additional bonus of FMV files and bigger stages. Technically on a side notes, i would prefer if i could change the soundtracj to EU or JAP by pressing the select button to switch between the music provided. Also oes anyone see this being a pre-order bonus for sonic Generations??

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
BiggNife said:
I know the Japanese soundtrack is amazing and all but I really dont think the US soundtrack is that bad

This is pretty sweet
Yeah, certain areas fit with certain themes better. The American version would fit with Bad Future, while the Japanese version would fit in with Good Future. I like the present ones almost equally, though. At least Stardust Speedway Past uses the same music in both versions.

If they allow you to toggle between soundtracks during the game, that'd be sweet.

Please don't base it on the Gems Collection version
Please don't base it on the Gems Collection version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwKs6b8BIvI

Please please please

Or, if you do, at least go through the trouble of fixing it so that it has better sound quality and proper water coloration and doesn't omit the entire credits roll in favor of a shitty choppy-framerate version of the credits FMV.

I don't give a shit about the retarded soundtrack war people have over this game, I just want it to play correctly.

Top Bottom