• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic CD Coming to XBLA, playable at PAX

DeVeAn

SEGA do not fuck this up. Do not want a shitty port. Give the option to swap soundtracks and let a decent dev. port the game for the love of God!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Sega1991 said:
Please don't base it on the Gems Collection version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwKs6b8BIvI

Please please please

Or, if you do, at least go through the trouble of fixing it so that it has better sound quality and proper water coloration and doesn't omit the entire credits roll in favor of a shitty choppy-framerate version of the credits FMV.
This too. The Gems version's flaws are simply unbelievable; I had a friend who also picked it up and he sometimes forgot Sonic was underwater in Tidal Tempest. o_O

I hope SEGA doesn't screw this up.

The Aussie ROFL COPTER said:
Note: This scared me as a kid when i played Sonic CD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48_S5WpHIXE

Went off to make a sandwhich, came back just in time to see this with loud music turned up through the speakers :(
WHAT THE FUCK!

I own this game in Sonic Gems Collection which I bought for really cheap a few months ago. I've always heard good things about it yet I've never played it much. The time travel mechanic threw me off and I still don't know how it works.

I should get to playing it.

Edit: Looks like I'm playing the wrong version anyway.

ZeroGravity

ezekial45 said:
I've never played Sonic CD. I've heard it's best entry in the series though.

I can't wait to play it.
It's definitely not anywhere near as good as Sonic 3 & Knuckles, but it has its own unique take on classic Sonic that's enjoyable in its own way.

My inside source in the games industry, the clerk at Gamestop, informed me that the Sonic CD videos have been scanned into 1080p from the original film sources and have also been cleaned up by hand digitally. There will also be a new 5.1 audio track.

andymcc

Banned
grap3fruitman said:
My inside source in the games industry, the clerk at Gamestop, informed me that the Sonic CD videos have been scanned into 1080p from the original film sources and have also been cleaned up by hand digitally. There will also be a new 5.1 audio track.
oh yeah, well I got an uncle who's friend has a friend that this is running on the Sonic 4 engine and it's gonna also have iOS exclusive stages.

Iknos

I had the misfortune of playing the Genesis collection at my cousins and the graphics were quite blurry even with no graphics enhancements. Is there any way to get it razor sharp? I want pixels so sharp that I can skin a cat with them. Big the Cat especially.

This would be my biggest concern about the Sonic CD port.

Articalys

For comparison, Sonic 3 and S&K each launched at 400 points, but that was back in 2009. So yeah, I guess 800 is a more likely bet.

iavi

The Xtortionist said:
Maybe I'd pay 1200 if the game had a per-stage soundtrack selector and online leaderboards. Maybe.

Don't even suggest this. Knowing Sega it'll be some half-assed backbone port that I'll pay no more than 400 allards for. I still regret paying the 800 for SA1.

Sega1991 said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwKs6b8BIvI

Please please please

Or, if you do, at least go through the trouble of fixing it so that it has better sound quality and proper water coloration and doesn't omit the entire credits roll in favor of a shitty choppy-framerate version of the credits FMV.

I don't give a shit about the retarded soundtrack war people have over this game, I just want it to play correctly.

The sound and the wart are pretty fucked up. It makes me sad. :(
I was psyched, but it's probably just a port of the Gems collection emulation. :(

Sega might do a lame-o with the music, release it with the right music for said region for 800 allard space peanuts then charge 400 for the extra music tracks, lol SADX add on.

TheOGB

Banned
Oh shit, what? Did a double-take

Drkirby said:
Hopefully, this comes out for other systems. I could go for a redone PC version, since the old PC port wasn't all that great.
Fuck yes, do it Sega.

But don't fuck it up.

They're gonna fuck it up

IrishNinja

TomcatTheLion said:
Just XBLA?

i have no idea why Sonic 3/Knuckles haven't come over to PSN yet. really hoping this classic does.

also: it's gonna be the PC version, make peace with this people.

Teknoman

fastkilr said:
What are the chances it'll be in full HD? The Sonic Adventure port sure had some aesthetically offensive borders.

Its Sega. Dont let Virtual On and Sonic Generations fool you.

fastkilr said:
What are the chances it'll be in full HD? The Sonic Adventure port sure had some aesthetically offensive borders.

If this was going to be some sort of amazing HD remix it wouldn't have been leaked from a Major Nelson PAX list.

Rlan

Gonna be funny if this comes out before Space Channel 5 and Get Bass Fishing, not to mention Guardian Heroes which also needs to be released.

Also, is Sonic 4 dead now then? Kind of surprised Sonic 3D and Spinball haven't made their way onto the service...

Rlan said:
Gonna be funny if this comes out before Space Channel 5 and Get Bass Fishing, not to mention Guardian Heroes which also needs to be released.

Also, is Sonic 4 dead now then? Kind of surprised Sonic 3D and Spinball haven't made their way onto the service...

Somebody from SoA said we should be getting more information about S4: Episode 2 "very soon". Most people figured PAX, but I have to wonder how far off that would be if they're going to show this unannounced Sonic CD port there but not Episode 2.

BKK

drizzle said:
As far as I remember, and I'm as lazy as you are to consult the SegaCD Wiki page, the SegaCD addon added more processing power (so it could handle FMV and stuff), more storage (as in CDs) and better audio (as in Redbook Audio from said CDs) to the Sega Genesis.

Better Graphics only came with the 32x add-on.

It had it's own graphics chip too which could perform sprite scaling and rotation similar to Super Nintendo's Mode 7.

http://youtu.be/PKmh7PbODjw

The Mega CD adds another Motorola 68000 CPU to the Mega Drive design running at a swift 12.5Mhz. These CPUs run in sync with each other for parallel processing. Sega had already had some parallel processing abilities with dual Motorola CPUs in some of their arcade cabinets. When games are loaded proprietary code is read from the CD to sync the CPUS.

The graphics ASIC is a custom chip designed by Sega. It allows for a variety of hardware sprite functions such as scaling and rotation, bi-axial scaling and rotation, super smooth sprite animation and some FMV abilities amongst others. All of these features directly matched that of the Super Nintendo’s MODE7 abilities. Some of the Mega CD’s best ever games used these features to their fullest. This chip worked with the Mega Drives existing VDP using overlay and other techniques.

What the chip did not do, however, was improve colour which was desperately needed to make decent quality FMV. The system was still limited to 64 colours onscreen simultaneously out of a palette of 512. Apparently the designers did want to do this but it would have significantly upped the cost of the unit. Later there were several programming techniques that allowed for more colours to be displayed at once. Early attempts at FMV only used a third of the size of the screen and was very grainy. Later as compression became better full screen FMV was available along with some more colours but this was still relatively grainy. Some FMV games manage to get 128 colours.

The new PCM (Pulse Code Modulation) based sound chip adds 8 channels for much cleaner sound samples to be used from a wider library as well as better background tunes. This chip is another Sega custom design and again is used in conjunction with the Mega Drives existing sound chip for extra audio channels and effects. A stereo mixing lead is provided with the console which takes output from the headphone socket on the front of the Mega Drive and into a mixing jack on the back of the Mega

The Mega CD adds substantially more memory to the console. 6Mbit of main work RAM which was almost the size of a cartridge based game in those days being on average 8Mbit. There is a small cache for the CDROM drive, some local memory for the PCM chip to store samples and the innovation of Internal Back Up memory, something the Playstation STILL does not have today. This was quite an amount for the day storing on average 8 game saves with high scores etc. Very useful for those RPGs.

http://www.captainwilliams.co.uk/sega/megacd/megacd.php

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Ideally, they would actually port the game from the source code, put the FMVs in their highest quality, and allow you to select sound tracks.

_dementia said:
This isn't Backbone, right?

Nobody knows yet. The fact it's on Major Nelson's list is all we have to go on. Sega told Joystiq that they aren't ready to talk about it yet.

Taxman (the guy who proposed the rebuilt-from-the-ground-up "Retro Engine" Sonic CD iPhone port) is being a bit coy on Sonic Retro, but I think he was also coy when Sonic 4 was announced too, so there's no way of actually telling if it's his engine or not.

We're just going to have to wait until Sega speaks up or people start coming back from PAX and giving impressions.

Lucky Number Seven Force said:
What ever became of that pitch Taxman made anyway? Things got pretty quiet he showed that proof of concept.

Wait what proof of concept?

Anyway I just want Sonic CD playable and done right, I don't care about the stupid soundtrack war so just give me the best version of the game possible.

Guile-sf2-sonicboom.gif

Top Bottom