• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony HMZ-T1 first Organic EL 3D head mounted display

Zaptruder

Banned
ido said:
It all depends on how good the optics are. It could look that plain, sure, but if they do it right it will appear as if the screen is massive and you are further away(like someone mentioned, middle row of a theater). Most really shitty consumer level HMDs have optics that basically just make it look like you're viewing a small monitor attached to your face with horrible resolution. If these optics are the real deal, it should at least feel differently.

But 45 degree's really isn't that great yet. I was hoping for at least 60 horizontal, but maybe that will come one day. It's still way better than the newest Vuzix wrap, and even better than eMagin's z800. And if they optics are as good as people are saying, then that should make up for the lower FOV as well, but we'll just have to wait and see.

I really want to get this.

To be fair, 45 degree FOV is optimized for current media and framing techniques.

And Sony is marketing it as a virtual cinema experience rather than as a VR helm like most HMDs are.

itsgreen

I think the succes of this product line will be hugely dependable on their ability to drop the price.

800$ is not a mass market price for a tv only 1 person can watch. Despite it possibly offering a superior viewing experience.

A family of 4 should be able to watch tv for that kind of pricing, so I guess the sweetspot is 200$ in a few years...

I can't really understand the reasoning by some people here that they would buy it at 600$. That's a seriously high price.

I can totally see them overcharging way too much for the early adopters and releasing a 1080p version in a year for less money.

Very cool product though.. but like I said price will be the most important thing to determine its succes

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
DeMeester said:
It would be nice if they had a model for people that already wear glasses. I tried contact lenses for years, but in the end they would only hurt my eyes more.

It works just fine with glasses.

1-D_FTW

itsgreen said:
I think the succes of this product line will be hugely dependable on their ability to drop the price.

800$ is not a mass market price for a tv only 1 person can watch. Despite it possibly offering a superior viewing experience.

A family of 4 should be able to watch tv for that kind of pricing,
so I guess the sweetspot is 200$ in a few years...

I can't really understand the reasoning by some people here that they would buy it at 600$. That's a seriously high price.

I can totally see them overcharging way too much for the early adopters and releasing a 1080p version in a year for less money.

Very cool product though.. but like I said price will be the most important thing to determine its succes

By your own arithmetic, at 600 dollars, a family of 4 could each get one for 2400. There are tons of LCD tvs out there selling for 2000+ (and don't let the LED and OLED confuse you. Those LED tvs are LCD). And OLED rapes them in PQ. Plus it destroys them in 3D by eliminating crosstalk.

Is this an ideal situation to have every member of the family isolated in their own world while watching tv together? No. But for a single person, particularly with 3D gaming, it runs circles around much more expensive options*.

*In theory. I'll wait to see it with my own eyes.

Ashes

Banned
itsgreen said:

A family of 4 should be able to watch tv for that kind of pricing, so I guess the sweetspot is 200$ in a few years...

your example could be better. just sayin. ;)

this is a premium solitary viewing experience, which is comparitively cheaper than competing products. I think.

of course everything would be better if it were pricer cheaper.

ido

Zaptruder said:
To be fair, 45 degree FOV is optimized for current media and framing techniques.

And Sony is marketing it as a virtual cinema experience rather than as a VR helm like most HMDs are.

If done correctly, a higher FOV will only improve the immersion. IMAX is certainly more than a 45 degree FOV, and it does great. Like I said, it IS good(especially compared to the sub $10k HMDs), but a larger FOV would have been nice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Zaptruder said:

what are the SMPTE guidelines for FOV in theaters? 45 degrees should be about 1x screen width viewing distance? I'd have thought that'd be just about right for a theater viewing experience.

Not really fair to compare it to IMAX already - give them a chance at least :)

as for price, its a little expensive, but if it actually delivers a quality experience, then I don't think its unreasonable. And thats only MSRP right? It'll be a couple hundred cheaper within a month of launch I'd think.

Brofist

Got to try this out at a nearby Sony Store today. A couple disclaimers, one I didn't get too much time with it. Despite the fact that I was only 1 of 2 people trying it out the employee in charge of the display rushed me out as though 100 people were lined up behind me. Whatever, probably protocol.

Two, for some reason the person in charge of the display didn't attach the light blocking pieces, so I didn't get complete immersion as I had light leaking in.

What I did see seemed very promising though. I was shown a 3D trailer of the new Spiderman movie. The black levels were as advertised, and the 3D had a nice pop. As Router said, this device does give the illusion of being in your own personal movie theater. I was even impressed with the sound, although I would like the option of using my own headphones.

I was a little concerned with the weight. It wasn't a big deal for a few minutes, but watching a 2 1/2 movie might be slightly tiring. Could have been partly because I was standing while using it though.

I would have liked to try some games with it, and I even tried to get the attendant to hook a PS3 up (there was one right nearby), but it was to no avail.

I can't say automatic day 1 for me, as I'd like another look at it, but I'd definitely consider.

1-D_FTW said:
Is this an ideal situation to have every member of the family isolated in their own world while watching tv together? No. But for a single person, particularly with 3D gaming, it runs circles around much more expensive options*.

*In theory. I'll wait to see it with my own eyes.

Yes this isn't a family device at all and won't be advertised as such. Same goes for an iPad, you can't share it with the whole family at the same time, but you could switch the user.

What about power consumption? Must be far lower than a big ass plasma display or projector, so that's a plus too...somebody has to think about the environment damn it!!

Fingers crossed this will be a home run for Sony, it just sounds too good to fail.

thuway

kpop100 said:
Got to try this out at a nearby Sony Store today. A couple disclaimers, one I didn't get too much time with it. Despite the fact that I was only 1 of 2 people trying it out the employee in charge of the display rushed me out as though 100 people were lined up behind me. Whatever, probably protocol.

Two, for some reason the person in charge of the display didn't attach the light blocking pieces, so I didn't get complete immersion as I had light leaking in.

What I did see seemed very promising though. I was shown a 3D trailer of the new Spiderman movie. The black levels were as advertised, and the 3D had a nice pop. As Router said, this device does give the illusion of being in your own personal movie theater. I was even impressed with the sound, although I would like the option of using my own headphones.

I was a little concerned with the weight. It wasn't a big deal for a few minutes, but watching a 2 1/2 movie might be slightly tiring. Could have been partly because I was standing while using it though.

I would have liked to try some games with it, and I even tried to get the attendant to hook a PS3 up (there was one right nearby), but it was to no avail.

I can't say automatic day 1 for me, as I'd like another look at it, but I'd definitely consider.

How large was the image size?

DeMeester

1-D_FTW said:
That said, plenty of people with glasses have worn them without complaint. And they include 3 different sized forehead pads so it'll fit over anyone's head properly. So there's no penalty for wearing eye glasses with it, it just doesn't double as a pair of glasses.

Good to know. I was just wondering because I don't like the way you wear 3d glasses on top of your normal ones if you go to a 3d movie.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
kpop100 said:

I wanted to try games on it too. Hopefully I get the chance to try them on games before I buy them.

Manuxs

Neo Member
Hi everyone !

Though I've been reading Neogaf for a VERY long time, I almost never posted anything.

But here I am :)

I am extremely eager to finally put my hands on this HMD.

In fact, if it works as announced, it will be the answer to many issues I have at home : having a big screen TV of my own and being able to play and watch movies without annoying my girlfriend (dedicated screen for Blu Rays and games, too much cables everywhere for the 5.1 setup, too much noise, too big a screen, and so on ...).

Presently, I have a brand new Panasonic 42VT30 plasma screen, which suits me quite well ... except for the fact that it's too small, hence a diminished 3D experience even though this screen displays minimal crosstalk.

That is why I have to sit on the floor about 5 feet away from my plasma to have a little sense of immersion. Do you think that the experience with this HMD will be better and more immersive ?

Regarding the sound, I currently have a 2.1 system (my girlfriend doesn't want anymore speakers in the living room, or any more cables running around). Do you thing the virtual 5.1 sound system of this HMD will be more immersive than my 2.1 setup ?

And finally, I am concerned about the resolution of the HMD. My plasma screen displays stunning 1080p. If this HMD can only perform 720p images, how will it compete ?
Does the fact that the image is bigger won't be a problem ? Am I wrong in thinking that a 720p picture on a small screen displays less issues than a 720p picture on a big screen ?

Thanks for your advice :)

orioto

Good Art™
Small question guys, i've seen a french site that speak about a simulated 150", when i was hearing about a 750" before that.

Can i have a confirmation ? Does it clearly feel like looking at a big theater screen, or more at a domestic videoprojector screen ?

1-D_FTW

Manuxs said:
Hi everyone !

Though I've been reading Neogaf for a VERY long time, I almost never posted anything.

But here I am :)

I am extremely eager to finally put my hands on this HMD.

In fact, if it works as announced, it will be the answer to many issues I have at home : having a big screen TV of my own and being able to play and watch movies without annoying my girlfriend (dedicated screen for Blu Rays and games, too much cables everywhere for the 5.1 setup, too much noise, too big a screen, and so on ...).

Presently, I have a brand new Panasonic 42VT30 plasma screen, which suits me quite well ... except for the fact that it's too small, hence a diminished 3D experience even though this screen displays minimal crosstalk.

That is why I have to sit on the floor about 5 feet away from my plasma to have a little sense of immersion. Do you think that the experience with this HMD will be better and more immersive ?

Regarding the sound, I currently have a 2.1 system (my girlfriend doesn't want anymore speakers in the living room, or any more cables running around). Do you thing the virtual 5.1 sound system of this HMD will be more immersive than my 2.1 setup ?

And finally, I am concerned about the resolution of the HMD. My plasma screen displays stunning 1080p. If this HMD can only perform 720p images, how will it compete ?
Does the fact that the image is bigger won't be a problem ? Am I wrong in thinking that a 720p picture on a small screen displays less issues than a 720p picture on a big screen ?

Thanks for your advice :)

Only a couple of gaffers have actually had on-hands experience. Might have to wait a little longer to really get a handle on those answers.

orioto said:
Small question guys, i've seen a french site that speak about a simulated 150", when i was hearing about a 750" before that.

Can i have a confirmation ? Does it clearly feel like looking at a big theater screen, or more at a domestic videoprojector screen ?

They've thrown around both figures, but they've also mentioned the distance. 750" is like at 20 meters or something and the 150" quote is a simulated view from much closer.

nib95

Banned
Told my other half about this yesterday. She thought I was a bit crazy, but also thought it sounded quirky and cool. The deal is I can get one if I don't get a new TV. I'm quite content with my Pioneer Kuro (8G) for now so the headset should compliment it well. Till the Kuro dies of course, then I'll go all out! :D

Manuxs

Neo Member
To the lucky few who were able to try it on :

Sony brands the HMZ-T1 by saying it looks like you are sitting middle-row in front of a 750 inch-theater screen.

Does this mean that when you put the HMD on, you have the impression the screen is huge but far away ? Can you adjust the picture to have the impression the screen is closer albeit smaller ?

Vesper73

Manuxs said:
Does the fact that the image is bigger won't be a problem ? Am I wrong in thinking that a 720p picture on a small screen displays less issues than a 720p picture on a big screen?

This is going to come down to personal preference I think, but I've always been an 'immersion is much more important than resolution' guy.

Case in point; I purchased a panasonic pt-ax200 720p projector, and my friend and I built a custom, wall sized, framed, projection screen, (approximately 150"). I sit about eight feet from the screen in a large bean-bag with a wireless controller. Personally I enjoy playing on that setup much more than my 1080p screen due to the immersion factor. There simply isn't a comparison for me! I think if you could try out my setup, you'd probably agree.

For someone like me, this really is an excellent opportunity! I actually wish it was even more immersive than it already is, (larger field of view), but it's a great start. Already pre-ordered!

orioto

Good Art™
1-D_FTW said:
They've thrown around both figures, but they've also mentioned the distance. 750" is like at 20 meters or something and the 150" quote is a simulated view from much closer.

And it seems to be depending on each individual ? I read somewhere that it depends on your eyes.. So it's basically a lucky shot, theater screen or home cinema..

Manuxs

Neo Member
Vesper73 said:
This is going to come down to personal preference I think, but I've always been an 'immersion is much more important than resolution' guy.

Case in point; I purchased a panasonic pt-ax200 720p projector, and my friend and I built a custom, wall sized, framed, projection screen, (approximately 150"). I sit about eight feet from the screen in a large bean-bag with a wireless controller. Personally I enjoy playing on that setup much more than my 1080p screen due to the immersion factor. There simply isn't a comparison for me! I think if you could try out my setup, you'd probably agree.

For someone like me, this really is an excellent opportunity! I actually wish it was even more immersive than it already is, (larger field of view), but it's a great start. Already pre-ordered!

I'm sure you're right !!

Actually, maybe it's because my plasma screen is only 42 inches, but I've come to realise that the great 3D movies that amazed me so much in the theater, aren't that impressive at all on my TV. Even though my TV is one of the best when it comes to 3D.
That's when I 've come to realise the 3D effect was heavily undermined by the small size of my TV.
Hell, even the Star Wars Blu-Ray aren't impressive on my 42 inches-TV !

Hence my interest for the HMZ-T1 (I don't have the permission to have a projector at home ... Honey, if you read this, I love you :D )

mrklaw

MrArseFace
1-D_FTW said:

those figures always confused me. Inches and metres in the same sentence. So I converted into the same unit. 750" is about 19m, so its like watching a 20m screen from 20m away.

its interesting to me as my projector gives around a 100" image and I sit around 8ft away from it, so thats around a 45 degree FOV. I sit the same distance from my 46" TV and so the immersion is nowhere near as good.

I don't use the projector as much as I should as its a light room and I don't have full light control so during the day its too washed out

Vesper73 said:

That set-up sounds fantastic, but would be even better if it was a 1080p projector. :p

1-D_FTW

Manuxs said:
I'm sure you're right !!

Actually, maybe it's because my plasma screen is only 42 inches, but I've come to realise that the great 3D movies that amazed me so much in the theater, aren't that impressive at all on my TV. Even though my TV is one of the best when it comes to 3D.
That's when I 've come to realise the 3D effect was heavily undermined by the small size of my TV.
Hell, even the Star Wars Blu-Ray aren't impressive on my 42 inches-TV !

Hence my interest for the HMZ-T1 (I don't have the permission to have a projector at home ... Honey, if you read this, I love you :D )

Yeah. It's a pretty recognized phenomenon that because you're looking into the screen with 3D, it makes the screen seem smaller than it actually is.

Oppo

g2PJj.jpg

Gynoug79

Been to this year's IFA (german electronics expo) and gave the HMZ a try. I am waiting to buy some VR glasses since playing Dactyl Nightmare back in the day. And sadly it looks like i will be waiting a bit longer. Its still a bit to heavy and i cant see my self watching a full movie or playing a game without it getting uncomfortable. The little leather thing resting on ones forehead is too small for the weight and combined with the warm tempratures in the expo halls.... in short there were booth babes/men who wiped them dr...ermm clean after each person. The HMZ i got featured some of the scenes you get in the starting screen of GT5 and while the 3D effect was really really nice, two things relly bugged me out, you can see the pixel(s) and the promised effect of sitting in front of a huge screen was not there for me. This might be better in a dark room where you cant see beneath it but at a bright booth it totally kills the immersion.I understand that the gap is probably there for some legal reason( people tripping and breaking their neck ? ) but still. Took the picture while waiting and it shows the gap where you can see through pretty good i think:
1316620169.jpg

Zaptruder

Banned
Manuxs said:
To the lucky few who were able to try it on :

Sony brands the HMZ-T1 by saying it looks like you are sitting middle-row in front of a 750 inch-theater screen.

Does this mean that when you put the HMD on, you have the impression the screen is huge but far away ? Can you adjust the picture to have the impression the screen is closer albeit smaller ?

The optics of this HMD is such that it essentially takes the light from a display 3 inches away from your eyes and turns it so that the light runs near to parallel - as it would if you were looking at something quite far away.

This headset also has diopter focus adjustment - probably done by moving the lens in and out - which means it should be able to create a wider angle of light... which is kinda what happens to light rays when things are closer.

I don't know enough about optics and vision to say whether that means it'll create the illusion of been closer - or just be blurry out of focus.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Gynoug79 said:
Been to this year's IFA (german electronics expo) and gave the HMZ a try. I am waiting to buy some VR glasses since playing Dactyl Nightmare back in the day. And sadly it looks like i will be waiting a bit longer. Its still a bit to heavy and i cant see my self watching a full movie or playing a game without it getting uncomfortable. The little leather thing resting on ones forehead is too small for the weight and combined with the warm tempratures in the expo halls.... in short there were booth babes/men who wiped them dr...ermm clean after each person. The HMZ i got featured some of the scenes you get in the starting screen of GT5 and while the 3D effect was really really nice, two things relly bugged me out, you can see the pixel(s) and the promised effect of sitting in front of a huge screen was not there for me. This might be better in a dark room where you cant see beneath it but at a bright booth it totally kills the immersion.I understand that the gap is probably there for some legal reason( people tripping and breaking their neck ? ) but still. Took the picture while waiting and it shows the gap where you can see through pretty good i think:
http://www.worldleagueracing.com/forum/gallery/images/1316620169.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Thanks for the impressions.

About the pixels. You sure you were seeing the actual display pixels rather than GT5 jaggies? What was the "starting screen" about btw?

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I don't even care if this thing sells massive numbers or bombs. I just want one for myself. And kudos to sony if they can improve the tech even more than they have now.

Durante

Bad_Boy said:
I don't even care if this thing sells massive numbers or bombs. I just want one for myself. And kudos to sony if they can improve the tech even more than they have now.
I really hope it does well, if this turns out to be a valid market segments there will be more competition and improvements will come quicker. (In the end I want at least 1080p 90° FOV)

Regarding the "gap problem", I'd just close it up using some cloth or whatever, shouldn't be too hard.

I'm almost certainly going to buy this, early adopter tax or not. Even without thinking about 3D, it's the only way to get a "large" consumer OLED screen for the foreseeable future.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Durante said:
I really hope it does well, if this turns out to be a valid market segments there will be more competition and improvements will come quicker. (In the end I want at least 1080p 90° FOV)

Regarding the "gap problem", I'd just close it up using some cloth or whatever, shouldn't be too hard.

I'm almost certainly going to buy this, early adopter tax or not. Even without thinking about 3D, it's the only way to get a "large" consumer OLED screen for the foreseeable future.
Good point. My main attraction for this is being able to have a huge screen in a small room.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gynoug79 said:
This might be better in a dark room where you cant see beneath it but at a bright booth it totally kills the immersion.I understand that the gap is probably there for some legal reason( people tripping and breaking their neck ? ) but still.]
I'm sure it'll be significantly better in the dark room. These are actually supposed to come with some bottom cover that prevents the light leak from beneath, but on tradeshows they don't put that cover on for some reason. The cover itself was demonstrated by someone in some video so it definitely is the part of the setup.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Gynoug79 said:

The headset you tried lacks the bottom section which blocks out the light. Also, from your impressions it sounds like they headset wasn't calibrated for you?

The "pixel" and size issues I'd say come from calibration.

As for those asking me for more details...

Yes the screen looks HD. I'm no crazy pixel counter but it looks very clear and sharp. All the traits of OLED are there... Fantastic blacks, colours and no ghosting from what I could see.

As for the screen, it looks big. Like bigger than 99% of people can fit in their homes. But once again that comes down to correct calibration.

As for the weight... I didn't find it heavy. The headpad and rear support worked just fine. I could see it feeling heavy after time but if you were seated or even better yet, reclined and comfy you would be just fine. Pretty nasty with it being coves with dozens of other peoples sweat lol :-/

Sound I can't really comment on but yes, the headphones are adjustable and do slide out of the way a bit. If you can fit other headphones over I can't really say. It's possible.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
orioto said:

Calibration is they key here. The Sony guys said that once setup the effect is that of 750". roughly like sitting in a large cinema. Not right in front f the screen... More like half way. So it is a large screen infront of you but it's not filling up your entire field of vision like IMAX.

*edited*
Damn iPhone autocomplete. I hate you with every inch of my life.

Pachimari

I am thinking, can't we use the HMZ-T1 for Gran Turismo 5 and at the same time let the PlayStation Eye track our heads when we look a bit to the sides?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Anastacio said:
I am thinking, can't we use the HMZ-T1 for Gran Turismo 5 and at the same time let the PlayStation Eye track our heads when we look a bit to the sides?

Entirely possible. Just 2 things. The "headtracking" in gt5 is pretty lame to begin with and we don't know how the pseye would cope with the HMZ on your head.

Peterthumpa

Router said:
Entirely possible. Just 2 things. The "headtracking" in gt5 is pretty lame to begin with and we don't know how the pseye would cope with the HMZ on your head.
Probably wouldnt work as PS Eye's detection alghoritm is kinda picky.
I can see it working with Forza 4's headtracking and Kinect though.

mrklaw said:
I wonder why they haven't gone 1080p. Presumably for cost and maybe they're assuming 3D gaming as a primary use case, which is limited to 720p anyway. There are plenty of LCD 1080p 0.7 inch panels for projector use

1080p seems like an obvious eventuality.

Someone earlier in this thread stated that they thought this model would be the expensive, boutique model and lower-res models would come out later for the mainstream market. While that may be true over the next 6 or so months, if the HMZ-T1 is successful, I can definitely envision a 1080p model retailing at $1,499.99 - $1,999.99 coming out next year for the true boutique experience. The HMZ-T1 seems like the middle-ground model to me. That said, I am seriously considering buying these, and I'll upgrade later to the hypothetical 1080p model if the T1 pleases me.

Chris R

I'm just hoping a single store in my area has one that people can try out. I'm really interested in one, just not $800 without trying it even once interested.

Quaz51

felipepl said:
Probably wouldnt work as PS Eye's detection alghoritm is kinda picky.
I can see it working with Forza 4's headtracking and Kinect though.

you can fix a human mask on the HMZ

thuway

Everytime this thread is bumped I figure we got new information, alas none to be found :-/. IGN is getting it soon though. Let's hope they are positive about it.

spwolf

nib95 said:
Told my other half about this yesterday. She thought I was a bit crazy, but also thought it sounded quirky and cool. The deal is I can get one if I don't get a new TV. I'm quite content with my Pioneer Kuro (8G) for now so the headset should compliment it well. Till the Kuro dies of course, then I'll go all out! :D

*whipped*

;-)

thuway

nib95 said:
Honestly mang, I think its worth waiting out for televisions anyhow. 3D is off to a lukewarm reception, black levels still aren't there yet, and OLED's are supposed to start mass manufacturing in larger sizes in 2013 (I wish I still had the source). Your better off using this thing as an inbetweener and alternative device.

Besides once you get this thing, the very idea of a television might sound ludicrous.
OT: When did you get married?

Top Bottom