• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils world's first 3D head-mounted display

Status
Not open for further replies.

iNvid02

The HMZ device enables the wearer to experience cinema-like viewing, equivalent to watching a 750-inch screen from 20 metres away

Technology giant Sony has unveiled a head-mounted display that takes the wearer into a 3D cinema of videos, music and games.

The HMZ personal 3D viewer is being targetted at people who prefer solitary entertainment rather than sitting in front of a television with family or friends.

Resembling a futuristic visor, the £480 ($800) device is worn like a pair of chunky goggles and earphones in one.

The HMZ uses Sony's own OLED screen, a relatively new kind of display that relays superb image quality and colour, compared to the more prevalent liquid crystal and plasma displays used in laptops and flat-panel TVs.

Mr Kato said the major challenge had been making a very small display without compromising image quality.

The HMZ is set to go on sale in Japan on November 11; a U.S. and European release could come as early as Christmas.

Here are the main specs:

two 0.7-inch OLED panels with HD resolution (1,280×720)
45-degree horizontal viewing angle / “virtual viewing” distance of 20m for the aforementioned 750-inch virtual screen
5.1 surround sound coming from speakers integrated into the HMD (Sony’s Virtualphones)
processor unit with two HDMI interfaces (input and output) for connecting TVs, consoles or Blu-ray players
size: 180×168×36mm, weight: 420g

article-2032130-0DA44C7700000578-117_634x451.jpg
article-2032130-0DA44C6500000578-160_634x461.jpg

article-2032130-0DA460CD00000578-971_634x401.jpg
hmz-t1-2.jpg

sony_hmz-t1_5.jpg
sony_hmz-t1_6.jpg

sony_hmz-t1_3.jpg
sony_hmz-t1_7.jpg

story
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...mounted-display-immersive-sitting-cinema.html

i wouldnt mind one for christmas

soqquatto

this kind of thing again? I'd like to have a solid percentage of people in the world that use glasses and can't use it. at least this time the screens have a good resolution.

Divvy said:
What is it with Sony and creating products with no mass market appeal?

How does this have no mass market appeal? I can hook this up to the PS3 and my gf can have the TV at the same time! That seems useful to me. Sitting on a couch and playing a videogame on what is the eqivalent of a high end 3DTV. And its cheaper than most 3DTVs.

giggas

I feel like we're back in the mid 90s again with this sort of stuff. I'm sure it's pretty cool tech, but like most other people I don't see it having huge mass market appeal.

soqquatto said:
this kind of thing again? I'd like to have a solid percentage of people in the world that use glasses and can't use it. at least this time the screens have a good resolution.

There's a video linked form the article in which a guy with glasses uses the thing. Whether it is comfortable, that's another thing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Looks like the kind of virtual reality headset games i played back in the late 90s.

Also, what about people using glasses like me? A big "Sucks to be you"?

stuminus3

That thing would be hideous to watch movies on. Even if I was sitting in my house all by myself with the doors locked I'd be afraid of somebody sneaking up and punching me in the balls for a laugh.

ToxicAdam

brucewaynegretzky said:
How does this have no mass market appeal? I can hook this up to the PS3 and my gf can have the TV at the same time! That seems useful to me. Sitting on a couch and playing a videogame on what is the eqivalent of a high end 3DTV. And its cheaper than most 3DTVs.

You are not mass market.

I like it, but I'll wait until it fails and goes on clearance for 300 dollars.

Pand

I kind of want to try one, but I can't imagine any situation in which I'd want to use one in real life. I don't like the thought of not being able to see or hear anything that's going on around me.

Bisnic said:
Also, what about people using glasses like me? A big "Sucks to be you"?

Your kind is not part of the future.

Angry Fork

Divvy said:
What is it with Sony and creating products with no mass market appeal?
That's awesome for people who like tech stuff. It's unfortunate they don't have mass appeal but at least Sony isn't opposed to throwing a bunch of money at new/weird stuff.

Datrio

Does it has any kind of a gyroscope? If yes, then it would be possible to connect it to the PS3 and then... MADNESS!

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Combine it with Kinect/move and you have virtual reality.
Johnny Quest motherfuckers, johnny quest.

-PXG-

Yeah, because this totally:

1) Won't be expensive as hell
2) Won't make my head hurt
3) Not make me look like a total asshole

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I don't see it catching on tbh apart from the rich assholes with disposable incomes and a love for gadgets.. so most of the males on this planets with jobs then LOL

make it £200 with a blu-ray player bundle and I will buy

StuBurns

Banned
Personally I'd love to try it, I bet it's very impressive. However I don't believe this even is new, Sony showed something very similar last year.

It's £480, that's not too bad, I'd consider it.

AlexMogil

I had a Virtual i/o 3d glasses set about 13 years ago. They're certainly novel. It makes your head hurt, it causes big red marks on your forehead where the glasses rest, and you end up looking like a slack jawed idiot after a while. It was usable in games, though, so you could fire up Quake 2 and look around the environment.

All I'm seeing here is the same technology with better resolution. Funny thing is the i/o glasses worked off analog and still gave a very good 3d experience. Kinda dumb that we have to have a special 3D Blu Ray player to run these.

bill0527

So let me get this straight. Sony, who continues to lose money hand over fist as a corporation, spends serious R&D and development money to develop something completely worthless to the vast majority of consumers.

Makes perfect sense.

It's pretty clear they are going to ride this 3D train straight to hell despite the fact that movie goers and home entertainment consumers have soundly rejected 3D.

If I was a Sony shareholder I would be livid right now.

I like the design. Looks like it's straight from the Jetsons.

That said, these headsets have never been popular or practical...and they won't suddenly become so now.

Kiss my ass for $800. Hopefully they find some other use for the R&D money spent on this project.

bill0527 said:
So let me get this straight. Sony, who continues to lose money hand over fist as a corporation, spends serious R&D and development money to develop something completely worthless to the vast majority of consumers.

Makes perfect sense.

It's pretty clear they are going to ride this 3D train straight to hell despite the fact that movie goers and home entertainment consumers have soundly rejected 3D.

If I was a Sony shareholder I would be livid right now.

Right because OBVIOUSLY this will lose money for the company since you know the cost of development and how many units would need to be sold in order to be profitable. Chances are Sony knows damn well this isn't a mass market product, hence the lack of a major marketing push. This has two likely purposes: 1. Make money on a small investment from a niche market 2. An attempt to make some money on the initial R&D stages of an overall larger agenda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom