• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony HMZ-T1 first Organic EL 3D head mounted display

Sony introduces the HMZ-T1, the company first Organic EL 3D head mounted display

Announced for an November launch in Japan at around 60,000 Yen the HMZ-T1 is Sony’s latest Head mounted display that comes for the first time with 1280×720 Organic EL panels and with 3D Video support, offering the equivalent of a 750” display!
Fitter with a newly develop optical Lens, the HMZ-T1 also comes with virtual 5.1Ch audio headphones (Virtualphones Technology) that, with its stunning screen resolution will give you the sensation and experience of enjoy 3D movies like you may do at the theater.
An interesting product but that comes with some limitation! Indeed, according to Sony the HMZ-T1 is strictly not recommended to children below fifteen years old!

http://en.akihabaranews.com/105990/...pany-first-organic-el-3d-head-mounted-display
http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20110831_473691.html
http://www.sony.jp/CorporateCruise/Press/201108/11-0831/
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...mounted-display-immersive-sitting-cinema.html

avt06.jpg

sony4_01.jpg

God damn, I've been tempted to buy a 3D TV this year for gaming, but I think this will do the trick instead. Uncharted3 and SoTC in 3D on the the equivalent of a 750” display!!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
5844052316327252.jpg

Sony's so stuck copying Nintendo, they even copy their hoaxes!

Really though, call me when they've got them pared down to those glasses they showed a couple of years back, with Tom Hanks.

gofreak said:
5844052316327252.jpg

Sony's so stuck copying Nintendo, they even copy their hoaxes!

Really though, call me when they've got them pared down to those glasses they showed a couple of years back, with Tom Hanks.

god damn, they copied nintendo again! /sarcasm

These things have always looked goofy. Same as 3D glasses to watch TV - it looks really old fashioned and I imagine it's a difficult 'sell' for marketing people because of that.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Eh, what's the point if it doesn't include motion tracking? I thought it would do that...

Raide

Maybe they could use some of this R&D money to design something that does not make you look like an 80's sci-fi reject.

Did they make this thinking that there is something wrong with TV's and this will solve the problem? All it does is solve nothing and make more problems, the main one being you've got a stupid thing on your head.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm surprised by the negativity tbh but I guess the dream of owning a CyberMaxx and hooking it up to a PC to play Decent never died for me.

1-D_FTW

Not seeing any prices mentioned. I'm thinking it's for Richie Rich's 16th birthday.

EDIT: Price is actually pretty reasonable.

theBishop

Banned
If they get head-tracking in version 2, shit just got real. And $800 seems surprisingly affordable. I wouldn't buy one, but they should sell enough to warrant a cheaper revision down the line.

Myansie

For $780 USD they're actually not too expensive.

I'd love a pair of these, zero cross talk, fantastic colours thanks to the OLEDs, 45 degree viewing angle. For games they'd be amazing. 720p is fine, if it's a PC game just crank the AA to compensate.

I wonder if you can wear your glasses at the same time you're wearing this thing.

Put a couple cheap gyroscopes and motion sensors in there. Make that blue light in the front bright enough for the PS Eye to track for calibration. Win!

1-D_FTW

Yeah. Those prices aren't too bad.

If 3D Vision supported it through 3DPLAY and the reviews were really good, I'd definitely be tempted.

People bitching about 1080P have to realize HDMI is a POS that can't do more than 720P @ 60hz in its current 3D state. Maybe it's fair to blame the tv manufacturers for not pushing the silicon (D-DVI clearly shows it's possible), but that's the state of HDMI in 2011.

Theonik

So tempting. Even at that price. I liked the look of the one they showed in CES though, long blue stripe. I'll be interested in seeing more reviews on that thing.

Myansie said:
For $780 USD they're actually not too expensive.

I'd love a pair of these, zero cross talk, fantastic colours thanks to the OLEDs, 45 degree viewing angle. For games they'd be amazing. 720p is fine, if it's a PC game just crank the AA to compensate.

I wonder if you can wear your glasses at the same time you're wearing this thing.

I assume you wouldn't glasses since the screens are only 2 inches from your eyeballs.

Over $700 and not even 1080p? And I'm guessing that "virtual" surround sound is code for simulated over stereo. And probably no hope for a high refresh rate...

Yeah... Why did you make this Sony? Seriously.

Ydahs

If this was in my price range, I'd buy it in a heart beat. 3D gaming is amazing.
NinjaFromTheFuture said:
Over $700 and not even 1080p? And I'm guessing that "virtual" surround sound is code for simulated over stereo. And probably no hope for a high refresh rate...

Considering how small the screens are (0.7 inches!) the PPI is so high that it'd be unlikely the average person will be able to tell the difference between the two resolutions. It's obviously new technology so 1080p will always be on the way (if this is succesful enough that is).

PuppetMaster said:
Put a couple cheap gyroscopes and motion sensors in there. Make that blue light in the front bright enough for the PS Eye to track for calibration. Win!

Would be a dream come true. But for it to work properly it should register your head movements and display them on your screens without any lag, otherwise this could be a motion sickness inducing hellmachine.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
How would PS3 look on this?

I think I want this really bad

NinjaFromTheFuture said:

I was expecting it to be in the thousands. 700 seems cheap as hell, unless this tech isn't as awesome as I'm imagining it to be. Virtual 5.1 indeed sounds like some cooked bullshit

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I think I'd buy this rather than I'd buy current 3D capable TVs. By all logic, playing something like Wipeout or SSDHD on this should be amazing. Being 720p is actually a benefit if these are to be used with PS3.

Myansie

PuppetMaster said:
I assume you wouldn't glasses since the screens are only 2 inches from your eyeballs.

2 inches sounds like heaps of space. My glasses are less than 2cm from my eyes, hopefully they all fit and are comfortable. Maybe you can buy lenses for the HMD, that would be cool.

theBishop

Banned
NinjaFromTheFuture said:

They're packing 2x 720p 0.7" screens in there. Do you have any idea how sick that pixel density is?

Top Bottom