• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harmy's Despecialized Editions of the Original Star Wars Trilogy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anth0ny

wIE4C4s.png

We've all read the Lucas changes thread. The consensus is, these blu ray releases are completely shoddy and the additional changes are simply horrible.

At this point, fans of the Star Wars trilogy who are interested in watching the original theatrical versions of the films are forced to track down the 2006 DVD releases of the films, which included an awful Laserdisc transfer of the films. Unfortunately, with the release of the blu ray, these DVD are being phased out, and are more or less out of print.

Regardless, these transfers were anamorphic, DNR'd to death, and damn near unwatchable by today's standards. We want an HD version of the films we love. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Mr. Lucas is going to be supplying us with a release like that any time soon.

However, there are fans that love these movies more than Lucas does. One guy behind his computer doing it for free, actually. Harmy has re-created the three Star Wars films, using various updated, watchable transfers of the films.

Greedo shoots? Obnoxious CGI crap? Jabba in Mos Eisley? Vader NOOOOO? Hayden's ghost? All gone. And it's quite seamless. In HD.

Unfortunately, links can not be posted on Neogaf. But these are not hard to find. Let's begin!

4uZdrhd.jpg

This is a cut which is very close to the 1977 theatrical version of STAR WARS except for some of the cleaned up original VFX.

SOURCES:

1) Star.Wars.Episode.IV.A.New.Hope.1977.720p.HDTV.x264-DON (2004 SE)

2) Dark Jedi's 720p upscale of the GOUT.

3) Mattman Omega's 720p upscale of the GOUT.

4) 1997 SE DTV captures (Reivax, Flunk, KGar)

5) Ady's SE AVCHD

6) Ady's STAR WARS Revisited

7) 70mm cell scans, Technicolour projection photos etc. and custom mattes.

8) Puggo Grande

9) Moth3r's PAL LD transfer

I did an extensive shot by shot colour correction based on colour boosted GOUT and other available reference materials and although the colours may not be 100% perfect, I'm really quite satisfied with them.

HIGH DEFINITION RELEASE

FORMAT: AVCHD DVD9

VIDEO: 1280x720p H264 23.976 fps

AUDIO:

TRACK 1) hairy_hen's 5.1 70mm mix @ 448Kbps AC3

TRACK 2) 1993 2.0 mix @ 320Kbps AC3

TRACK 3) 1977 1.0 mix @ 96Kbps

TRACK 4) 1977 2.0 mix @ 256Kbps

TRACK 5) 1992 2.0 CZ dub @ 256Kbps

TRACK 6) Commentary for visually impaired @ 192Kbps

STANDARD DEFINITION RELEASE (Coverted by Chewtobacca)

FORMAT: NTSC DVD5

VIDEO: 720x480p MPEG2

AUDIO: hairy_hen's 5.1 70mm mix @ 448Kbps AC3

EoUQroG.jpg

This is a cut which is very close to the theatrical version of TESB except for some of the cleaned up VFX.

SOURCES:

1) Adywan's 14GB mkv 97SE ESB

2) Mattman Omega's 720p upscale of the GOUT.

3) Ady's theatrical reconstruction DVD and some higher quality shots from it that he kindly provided for me.

I did an extensive colour correction based on colour boosted GOUT and though the colours may not make everyone happy, I really like them now.

HIGH DEFINITION RELEASE

AUDIO:

TRACK 1) hairy_hen's 5.1 purist mix @ 448Kbps AC3

TRACK 3) 1980 2.0 mix @ 224Kbps

TRACK 4) 1992 2.0 CZ dub @ 192Kbps

TRACK 5) 1997 2.0 CZ dub @ 192Kbps

I put in both CZ dubs simply because there was space for them. This gives anyone space to replace them with any desired soundmix, which is very easy to do in a free program called TS Muxer.

STANDARD DEFINITION RELEASE (Converted by Chewtobacca)

AUDIO: hairy_hen's 5.1 purist mix @ 448Kbps AC3

Sn%2525C3%2525ADmek1.PNG

This is a cut which is very close to the 1983 theatrical version of ROTJ except for some of the cleaned up original VFX

SOURCES:

1) Star.Wars.Episode.VI.Return.of.the.Jedi.1983.720p. HDTV.x264-DON (2004 SE)

2) Dark Jedi's 720p upscale of the GOUT.

3) 1997 SE DTV capture (G'Kar)

I did an extensive shot by shot colour correction and although the colours may not be 100% perfect, I'm really quite satisfied with them.

HIGH DEFINITION RELEASE

AUDIO:

TRACK 1) hairy_hen's 5.1 purist mix @ 448Kbps AC3

TRACK 3) 1983 2.0 mix @ 224Kbps

TRACK 4) 1992 2.0 Czech dub @ 256Kbps

TRACK 5) 1983 2.0 German dub @ 256Kbps

STANDARD DEFINITION RELEASE (Coverted by Chewtobacca)

AUDIO: hairy_hen's 5.1 purist mix @ 448Kbps AC3

Until Lucas decides he wants more money and digs the original prints of the films out of the vault, with the material presented to us, these de-specialized editions may be the best the Star Wars trilogy will ever look. They are my personal definitive versions of the films. Enjoy!

HELPFUL LINKS AND INFORMATION (not included are direct links to the Despecialized Editions, which is against the rules on GAF):

Harmy introduces the Despecialized Edition of Star Wars and its sources
Originaltrilogy.com forums
Awesome article and interview with Harmy on the Despecialized Editions by GAF's very own mandiller

- As of October 30, 2012, Disney now owns Lucasfilm and Star Wars. George Lucas has little to no say in the future of the franchise. While there is no confirmation either way that the original, unaltered trilogy will receive an official release from Disney, the odds are much greater now that crazy old Lucas is out of the equation.

- A 4K restoration of the Star Wars trilogy appears to be in the works, but the master is based on the recent blu ray releases.

- There seems to be some confusion with regards to the new deal with Disney and the distribution rights of the Star Wars films, which are held by Fox.

Resident Star Wars expert Bobby Roberts breaks down the situation:

Disney absolutely owns the rights to Star Wars (1977) like they do the other five films. They just don't own the rights to DISTRIBUTE it. Fox owns those Star Wars (77) rights in perpetuity (the other five films become Disney distributed in 2020) But Disney & Fox have already come to agreements to distribute all the films at least once.

The problem discussing any of this shit is that nobody really ASKS either company what the terms of any of these distro deals are, or rather, neither of these companies are telling anyone SHIT, so a constant cloud of misinformation like the one surrounding Pig Pen's ankles, floats around anything having to do with the Original Trilogy on home video.

Basically:

Lucasfilm can do whatever the fuck it wants to Star Wars. It can restore it, make changes, revert changes.
Lucasfilm CAN'T distribute Star Wars unless a deal is struck with Fox
Fox can't make any changes to Star Wars, it can only distribute it.
Fox can't distribute the film unless Lucasfilm says its okay for them to do so.

The distribution deals have nothing to do with why theatrical versions don't exist on home video.

So yeah, if they wanted to release the original, unaltered trilogy, there's probably nothing stopping them. So quit bringing it up.

Medalion

Banned
I know it's a great time to shit on Lucas and the Star Wars releases

but is this still not considered promoting a type of piracy?

original.jpg

If we say we are planning on downloading these, it would be against the TOS because we would be admitting to piracy.

shuri

Banned
wow another amateur hour cut featuring footages taken from different shithouse pirate versions, at different bitrates, resolution and whastnot!

EXCITINGGGGg

Anth0ny

Medalion said:

Well we have threads about ROM hacks, is this not the same thing? If you're interested in this, you probably own the Star Wars trilogy multiple times (I've bought them 4 fucking times).

If it's against the rules, close please =)

shuri said:
wow another amateur hour cut featuring footages taken from different shithouse pirate versions, at different bitrates, resolution and whastnot!

EXCITINGGGGg

It's really not.

HammerOfThor said:
Can someone explain the Han shoots first thing? I'm too young to know of many of the changes :(

Han shot Greedo first, originally. It was attributed to his rogue/badass character. Lucas changed it up in later releases, with Greedo instigating the gun-fight, which kind of dampened Solo's character.

HammerOfThor said:
Can someone explain the Han shoots first thing? I'm too young to know of many of the changes :(

It's horrible to think that kids are growing up not knowing the truth about the Han/Greedo altercation.

Someone think of the children!

Wow, that's a lot of work. And to the people saying that this is shoddy work, I ask you to look at the Flickr.

I don't even care for Star Wars, but I am impressed.

Branduil

HammerOfThor said:
In the original version, Han just shoots Greedo under the table before Greedo can get a shot off, because he's just that badass. In the current version Han does a retarded Matrix juke move to avoid Greedo shooting at him.

Levyne

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Yub nub fo'life.

The one change that I prefer. Still worth it to have all the other crap axed.

Edit: Also didn't mind the change in actor for showing the emperor in ESB. New dialogue was crap though.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Khold said:
Yub Nub ending?

:/
every bone in my body wants to reject this fact, but yub nub was always a terrible song to end the trilogy on. it hurt me as a kid, it hurts me even more now that john williams fixed it in one of george's pinball rape editions.

Azar

I read up on these a bit over the weekend. It seems like he's working on new versions of A New Hope and Empire, so I'm in no rush to check them out. They can only get more faithful to the originals.

itwasTuesday

He wasn't alone.
Going through the photo albums, I am impressed. The shear amount of dedication
Glad to see no more space shock waves.

tuffy

Marty Chinn said:
I was reading the changes, but what does GOUT mean/stand for?
George's Original Unaltered Trilogy

It's the Laserdisc mastered bonus discs from the 2006 DVD release.

alr1ghtstart said:
It's kind of pathetic (on Lucas' part) that they actually have to resort to this.
This has been going on for over a decade since Han shot first.

On a different note, I saw a clip of Mos Eisley and as they enter the cantina, it's kinda annoying how he replaced the dewback but it's not matched right so it jitters like it's been composited poorly.

Angry Fork

It looks like a shit ton of work was put into this, smh @ dismissing it like this (or hating on any fan work in general when you're not forced to take part in it):

shuri said:

EXCITINGGGGg

Levyne

Banned
why can't he keep in stuff like having the offiicer's insignia on the correct side? All or nothing I guess

shuri said:

EXCITINGGGGg

It's not though. There's some serious work behind this. There are a couple of fan edits out there that are seriously well done.

Like it or hate it, Adywan's Star Wars Revisited is an amazing amount of work. I think he went overboard, but by no means is it shit quality.

Khold said:
why can't he keep in stuff like having the offiicer's insignia on the correct side? All or nothing I guess

It's not totally true that it's all or nothing. He fixed some things in some instances.

Medalion said:

People talk about downloading them all the time in other threads, no one ever seems to get into trouble but mention anything about downloading a movie or game of anything else and bans fly left and right it seems.

oatmeal said:
There are no fans like Star Wars fans.

It's incredible how many of these are being made all the time...

One of these days I hope someone can create one where you build your own movie and it just branches seamlessly. I actually like some of the new scenes from the Special Editions that I wouldn't mind being put into the Trilogy.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
This is really cool, looks to be very well done.

TUSR

Banned
Captain Blood said:
I was wondering when something like this would happen.
what do you mean, people release their own cuts all the time. in fact there are large websites dedicated to this.

blade runner has probably the most from what i recall.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I want to see the cut of the prequel trilogy that pares all three of them down to one movie. Whats that called again?

I bought the 2006 Unspecial DVDs so I'm probably good to go. But I may investigate further. I like the idea of an HD No-SE SW.

FLEABttn

Banned
Skiptastic said:
I bought the 2006 Unspecial DVDs so I'm probably good to go. But I may investigate further. I like the idea of an HD No-SE SW.

It's not "true" HD in that some of the source material is simply upscaled SD.

TUSR

Banned
Jtwo said:
I want to see the cut of the prequel trilogy that pares all three of them down to one movie. Whats that called again?
shit mix, its named after a high school drinking game

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
AbsoluteZero said:
I don't understand....720p on a DVD9? I thought you needed Blu-Ray for anything above 480p.

nope. You could make some 4k videos and put them on a DVD if you want. It might look like shit, though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Squire Felix said:
shit mix, its named after a high school drinking game
"Star Wars Shit Mix" sounds like something you'd want to turn on Safe Search for before submitting.

mattp

watched a new hope last night. its fucking beautiful. i've been waiting for this for years
got empire and jedi burned and ready to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom